Post subject: LeBronchelor!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
just wanted to make a quick post before the show tonight...

If he stays with the Cav's LBJ is saying "I'll kick your butt with MY team"
(somehow I don't think he is staying with Cleveland because he has done nothing this off-season so indicate that he really wanted to stay)

If he goes to Chicago he is saying "I want to win it all"
(They have an up and coming All-Star point guard in Rose and have a good team that would support all of the things that LBJ needs)

If he goes to The Knicks he is saying "I want to be a LEGEND"
(Rescued the #1 market with the #1 arena. If he wins one championship there he would be a legend forever)

If he goes to Miami he is saying "I can't do it and need help"
(Miami is Wade's town. Bosh is an All-Star but not a SUPERSTAR. If LBJ goes to Miami it is the biggest "I can't do it" you can ever hear)

I hope he doesn't go to Miami

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: LeBronchelor!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Doesn't matter where he goes, the NBA is still the worst pro sports league in the country.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I really have a feeling he is going to either a) go to Miami or b) stay in Cleveland. However, as you mentioned, Cleveland hasn't done anything to improve the team as of yet other than get a new coach (and a good one). They COULD have some guys like Mike Miller lined up behind closed doors and are just waiting for LeBron's announcement tonight.

I truly hope he doesn't go to Miami. Not that I wouldn't enjoy seeing that team playing together, but to me that REALLY would cheapen things if those guys all played together. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:07 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Being a Chicago guy, I want him to go to Chicago!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Former President Johnson plays some hoops, eh?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:17 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

randy wrote:
Doesn't matter where he goes, the NBA is still the worst pro sports league in the country.

I don't follow the NBA or basketball, but what do you mean it's the worse in pro sports? haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

1. Referees are much worse in the NBA than they are in soccer. "The Jordan Rules" still exist.
2. The playoffs last too fucking long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
LeBron James has rented six cabanas at the W Hotel South Beach this weekend to celebrate his team decision, two sources confirm to UsMagazine.com.

Source

There are also rumors of a trade in the works to make "max money" room for LeBron in Miami. Supposedly a trade would send Michael Beasley and Rockets forward Jared Jeffries to Charlotte and land Bobcats center Tyson Chandler in Houston.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
1. Referees are much worse in the NBA than they are in soccer. "The Jordan Rules" still exist.
2. The playoffs last too fucking long.

Basically that 100%. If you have three months of playoffs, you should not also have a six month season. If you have a six month season, more than 50% of the teams should not be in the playoffs.

If you have referees on the floor, fouls should be fouls and no-calls should be no-calls. A foul against Dwayne Wade should be the same as a foul against Dirk Nowitzki.

You are correct, I have not watched an NBA game since Game Five of the 2006 NBA Finals. Fuck the NBA.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 PM 

I'd still put the NBA above the NHL. The NHL has a decent product but it is so watered down with teams that should not exist (Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, really?)

The game of basketball is not as good as it once was - college or pro.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 PM 

At what point during the show tonight will Brett Favre make an appearance?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:05 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

But that's the thing - the NHL has what can arguably be called a decent product. I'm not a fan of NHL hockey either, but an NBA game is an exercise in tedium and institutionalized favoritism.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Oh I see thanks for the info guys. The NBA Is worse than soccer calls?!? Damn good thing I don't watch any basketball games for the most part.

As for the NHL, I fell in love with hockey this year, and I plan on supporting my Kings for many years to come. I really enjoy the sport which is all that matters to me ;)

Soccer is growing on me too. But, I can't get into the basketball tho. Boring sport in my eyes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
krby71 wrote:
I'd still put the NBA above the NHL. The NHL has a decent product but it is so watered down with teams that should not exist (Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, really?)

Atlanta only has a hockey team so people can go watch actual pro hockey teams play the Thrashers.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:09 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
The NBA Is worse than soccer calls?!? Damn good thing I don't watch any basketball games for the most part.

The problem with soccer calls as you see them is an extremely small sample size. Granted, the errors in officiating have been kind of egregious, but out of something like 60 World Cup matches, there have been five or six bad calls, which is really not terrible in the grand scheme. Consider that Dwyane Wade goes to the line probably five times, eighty-two times a year. No one who can shoot free throws gets fouled that much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Vanamar wrote:
krby71 wrote:

Atlanta only has a hockey team so people can go watch actual pro hockey teams play the Thrashers.

LOL

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Neesha is citing US magazine as his source, that's just sad.

I agree it would be a douchebag move to go to Miami. I sincerely hope they have some backdoor deals going on to keep him in Cleveland.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:37 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

The US Magazine link was from a sports blog that I read. My apologies for not finding a more credible source when discussing rumors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

LeBron to the Heat. The shitty source may have had some validity after all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 PM 

Everyone at ESPN was saying Heat, it wasn't like it was a huge surprise. I don't like the decision but at least I have a team to root against.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Letter to the Cleveland faithful from their majority owner:

Quote:
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

Source

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:20 AM 

I like the letter, too bad they won't be able to keep his guarantee.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:25 PM 

Everything's so stupidly dramatic. It's just a sport.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
That letter discounts the 7 great years LeBron gave to his team. Ungrateful and sounds like a spoiled brat. With that said, LeBron is an ass for putting his team through a media circus for what should have been a simple 2 minute announcement. All in all the owner is an ass, LeBron is full of himself and Cleveland fans get the shaft.

Miami is also a no win situation for him now too...if they win all he will hear is he couldn't do it without Wade (think what Kobe went through before he finally won w/o Shaq) and anything less than a championship will be a considered a major failure for him.

To the point about the bad calls, I agree that the officiating has a Jordan factor that I hate, but on the plus side, every bad call is a much smaller deal than a bad call in Hockey or Soccer where 1 goal is a huge deal. 1-2 points isn't as big of a deal in basketball.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:25 PM 

I'm not aware of any bad call in basketball being as egregious as the missed handball that sent France through to the world cup over Ireland.

I've become an NBA fan recently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:03 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The problem with soccer calls as you see them is an extremely small sample size.

Exactly. A small sample size because soccer is a game where scores are few and far between. So every time one of those refs makes a terrible call, it can have a huge impact in a game where 1-0 isn't an uncommon score.

A ref can make 5 bad calls in basketball and it probably won't make or break the entire game just based on those calls because the number of events that affect the score is so tremendous in a basketball game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:16 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

But for me, the difference is not so much in the outcome (although it sucks when the outcome is due to a poor call) but in watching the game itself. The NBA is almost unwatchable because the "Jordan Rules" happen throughout an entire game. So you are stuck with 4 quarters of watching Yao get pounded time and time again as he goes in the paint with no calls, and Shaq (who is my favorite player of all time) literally walking through people in the paint and getting the calls all game long.

Tim Donaghy was a fucking loser, but if you read his book about the NBA, I am sure there is some truth to what he says when he talks about referees holding grudges and taking it out on players. Sure, it's probably not as blatent as he makes it out to be, but the evidence is certainly there to back some of his claims. He even cites specific examples of games where Allen Iverson, for example, was playing and a ref who hates Iverson called the game - and Iverson had 3 fouls in the first quarter... all called by said ref.

No other game is in the hands of the refs like Basketball. In Baseball, if the plate umpire calls terrible balls and strikes, the hitters can still hit those pitches. In Football, a referee can screw up games with 'holding' calls and 'pass-interference' calls, but there are still ways around that. In the NBA, you can be on the other side of the lane and Joey Crawford can call a foul on you and there's nothing you can do about it. Say a word about it and he can toss you out of the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Wow Neesha. I never knew it was that bad in the NBA. Then again I really don't care about the sport ;)

Offline Profile