Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
story
Quote:
DETROIT (AP)—It will go down as one of the worst umpiring calls in baseball history—Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga(notes) was robbed of a perfect game on Wednesday just as he thought he’d completed one of the game’s rarest feats.

With two outs in the ninth, and Galarraga not having allowed a single Cleveland Indians player to reach even first base, he needed only one more out to complete the 21st ever perfect game in the U.S. major leagues.

Cleveland’s Jason Donald(notes) hit a groundball to the area between first and second base. Detroit first baseman Miguel Cabrera(notes) fielded it, and tossed it to Galarraga, who’d dashed over to first base to complete the out. Galarraga squeezed the ball in his mitt, stepped on first base with his right foot and was ready to celebrate.
What happened next will be the talk of baseball for the rest of this season and likely a lot longer: the perfect game that wasn’t.

Umpire Jim Joyce emphatically called Donald safe, the Detroit Tigers argued and a chorus of groans and boos echoed in Comerica Park.

Then Joyce emphatically said he was wrong and later, in tears, hugged Galarraga and apologized.

“It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the (stuff) out of it,” Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires’ locker room. “I just cost that kid a perfect game.”

This is an EASY decision to me, this was the last out of the game, the reviews CLEARLY show that the runner was out. The call SHOULD have been over-ruled on the field but should be corrected now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Video:

Offline Profile  

Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I don't care what anyone says, this was simply a case of an umpire trying to get a little spotlight. That is the ONLY reason why he would have called the guy safe in the first place. Sure, it ended up being negative publicity, but even if the guy would have REALLY been safe, an umpire who calls him safe on a play like that is only doing it to get his name out there. He should be suspended for the rest of the season, at the very least.

This wasn't a 1-0 game, this wasn't a playoff game, this was a game that was already decided and he chose to fuck up history for a young pitcher. How many "neighborhood" calls has he made in the past? It's simply disgusting. Lots of umpires these days are putting themselves ahead of the game and it's really a turn-off. Baseball is a hard enough sport for most to watch.

Offline Profile  

I agree. They need to overturn it. I would say they also need to put in replay, but only if they reform the pace of the game significantly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

so horrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:34 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor