It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: /wave Charlie Weis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:08 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
It gives me the upmost happiness and pleasure knowing that Weis will be gone within the next week or so. Such an arrogant, egotistical ass who rode the coattails of Belicheck in New England and is unable to do anything as a coach for that pompous, overrated college football program they call Notre Dame.

Now if we can just get rid of Rodriguez in Michigan and bring on the former QB (now coaching in Stanford) then this will have been a successful 09 college football season. And my alma mater is going to a bowl game again, so that trifecta will bring joy :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: /wave Charlie Weis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
They won't be firing Rodriguez at Michigan, this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:32 PM 

No sympathy for Michigan. They hired a man who could never take the next step past consolation BCS berths and always under delivered. Who's next? Frank Beamer?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:07 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
That arrogant, egotistical ass who rode the coat tails of Belichick has 6+ offers for Offensive Coordinator back in the NFL so someone who knows more than you do obviously sees something.

Don't get me wrong, I've been sorely disappointed in his philosophy of offense first, defense if it fits in somewhere recruiting and game play, but the man knows offense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:49 AM 

Coaching changes:

Akron - Fired J.D. Brookhart
Memphis - Fired Tommy West (Nov. 9) Hired Larry Porter (LSU RB Coach)
San Jose State - Dick Tomey retired
Louisville - Fired Kragthorpe
Virginia - Fired Al Groh
Marshall - Mark Snyder resigns
UNLV - Fired Mike Sanford
Western Kentucky - Fired David Elson
Florida State - Bowden to return?
Notre Dame - Weiss gone?
Kansas - Mangino gone?
Maryland - Ralph Friedgen gone?

Other coaches looking for a job:
Tommy Tuberville, Phil Fulmer

This could be an interesting off season. I don't see any SEC head coach getting fired (Only Vandy and Miss. State had overall losing records. Vandy has tasted success with Johnson and won't dump him after this year and Miss. State is in the first season with their coach). Spurrier might retire (doubtful). You will probably see many assistant coaches going to fill head jobs at other schools.

There are many rumors that Bob Stoops will be the next head coach at Notre Dame. I don't see that as a good fit. Maybe

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 AM 

oops I was going to conclude that with Maybe Cincinnati's Brian Kelly would be the next Irish coach. I doubt that Harbaugh will go there as he possibly waits for Rich Rod to flame out next year and return home to Michigan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 PM 

The fascination with Harbaugh is totally premature. It's not like he lead a sleeper team to a BCS bowl or anything. I think he's done tremendous things, but I also think Toby Gerhart is a fluke, a once-in-a-lifetime player at a school like that, and that their level of success in a pretty tough Pac-10 is not sustainable.

Notre Dame should get a reliable and proven coach, not another flavor of the month. They won't get a Stoops or an Urban Meyer because the academic standards make recruiting very difficult, and who the fuck wants to live in South Bend? The only thing that will get a big time, proven coach (one who has won a national championship) is ego, pure and simple. They will get some poor ignorant fool who thinks he can be the next big thing because it's Notre Dame, and that person will fail.

The mystique behind ND is waning. Their TV deals are not as lucrative as CBS' and ESPN's deal with the SEC. TV is going towards the conferences in a big way (Big 10 network, big deals with SEC, etc.) and frankly, only die-hard ND fans want to watch the games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:10 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I disagree with pretty much everything you said other than the part about Harbaugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:36 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I just don't see offensive genius Charlie Weis. Sorry. I see incredibly talented Tom Brady, and incredibly talented Jimmy Clausen (well on a collegiate QB standpoint). If he already has 6+ NFL jobs for offensive co-ordinator, so be it. I just don't think he is that great of one. He is as overrated as Mike Martz, who was really only good cause he had an incredibly talented Kurt Warner who knew how to run a fast paced offense, and a RB in Faulk who could do anything he wanted to and was the perfect fit for that system.

But of course, I could be wrong. Weis might be a ridiculous genius like Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel who will be ultra successful in the NFL just like those two. O wait...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

You should have stopped after your first post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:48 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

ps: Bobby Bowden needs to step the fuck down

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 PM 

Joe Paterno needs to step down then too

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 PM 

Neesha the Necro wrote:
I disagree with pretty much everything you said other than the part about Harbaugh.
The part about the Irish being a TV bust?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3452161

"NBC renewed its television contract with Notre Dame football through the 2015 season on Thursday despite the Fighting Irish last year drawing their lowest ratings since the network began broadcasting their games in 1991."

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/tvratings

Or the point about academic standards?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2960 ... -standards

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:48 PM 

Quote:
Joe Paterno needs to step down then too
You base that on what, exactly? The man has an awesome record over the past 5 years. Bobby Bowden is a joke. He doesn't coach his team, he acts confused and uninterested in the outcomes of his games, and he is taking the program down with him. But, I can tell you that I would LOVE for him to stay at FSU. It means a bigger and bigger recruiting advantage for my team.

Quote:
Bowden might surprise me. He might announce on Monday that he's finished "coaching" Florida State, as if that's what he's been doing these past few years. At one point Saturday, with the Seminoles on offense, somebody on the FSU sideline called a timeout but it wasn't Bowden. He was 20 yards away while his offense met with offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher. After a while Bowden ambled over to listen, just to see what was going on. He was curious, I guess. But he wasn't coaching.

Here's Ann Bowden:

Quote:
"You know, we don't need the university as much as they need us — as much as they need him and his connections and reputation and everything," Ann Bowden told USA Today. "If they want to pull that trick (and force Bobby to retire), we'll just shake the dirt off our feet and go to Europe or go on a long cruise or something.

"They'll have to fire him for him not to go another year … If they've got guts enough to do it, let them do it."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
Notre Dame should get a reliable and proven coach, not another flavor of the month. They won't get a Stoops or an Urban Meyer because the academic standards make recruiting very difficult, and who the fuck wants to live in South Bend? The only thing that will get a big time, proven coach (one who has won a national championship) is ego, pure and simple. They will get some poor ignorant fool who thinks he can be the next big thing because it's Notre Dame, and that person will fail.

I agree with the flavor-of-the-month thing but I think they'll get a Stoops-type of coach this time around (or at least, I think they'd be fools to try to get an unproven coach or a Tony Dungy).

Quote:
The mystique behind ND is waning. Their TV deals are not as lucrative as CBS' and ESPN's deal with the SEC. TV is going towards the conferences in a big way (Big 10 network, big deals with SEC, etc.) and frankly, only die-hard ND fans want to watch the games.

I disagree with this. I think Notre Dame is still Notre Dame. I think almost any top-tier High School QB would love to go to Notre Dame and wear #3. Just because you don't like the school (I hate the school as well) doesn't mean that people still don't hold the school in high regard. Their ratings and/or the money involved may not be able to keep up with CBS & the SEC, but it's still just one school. I didn't study your links (not real sure what the point of the one with the bowl games was) but is each SEC school making as much from their conference TV deal as Notre Dame is making with their NBC deal? I watched quite a few ND games this year just to watch Golden Tate (one of the best players in the country) and to see Weis fail week after week. I am sure there are plenty of football fans who watched their games as well, not just "die-hard ND fans." If the school had a coach who knew anything at all about defense, they'd be ranked in the top 10, but they don't so they aren't.

/shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 PM 

Notre Dame will get the star player here and there. But their talent level will never exceed what it is now because of their academic standards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
Uncle Bobby B is announcing his retirement 12/1 according to ESPN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 PM 

It is official, Weiss is gone

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 PM 

Wow, heh. Look at these headlines:

SI: Notre Dame job is death trap
ESPN: Plum job? Not at Notre Dame
ESPN: Notre Dame job comes with issues

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Well yeah. Notre Dame cannot get the athletes/football players they need to have a successful football program due to their higher academic requirements. And quite frankly, Notre Dame is no longer an "it" school. I wonder if their independent affiliation is hurting them a lot more than it is helping them...

The expectations are 10+ wins and a BCS game each year, but you cannot get the type of players that will let you achieve that. Hence, it is a death trap for many coaches.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:26 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Weis has had some of the top recruiting classes during his tenure at ND, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that they can't get the players they need. The problem was almost none of those players was on defense.

Hence, you should have stopped after your first post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:43 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, no idea where that line of thinking is coming from either. They get the recruits they need to compete for a National Championship every single year. Again, it's hatred for Notre Dame that is blinding you guys to reality.

ps: Rice will never be able to compete in college baseball because of their academic standards

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:30 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

As a longtime ND fan from a family of ND fans I am extremely pleased Weis is gone; they waited too long. The last 3 years many fans, including myself, watched only to cheer for opponents so Weis would lose his job.

Now that he has, I hope they return to what they used to be: a program where academics and character matter and football is designed around those attributes. If they make the colossal mistake of lowering standards beyond what Weis already did they will lose everything that made them special and the fanbase will slowly disintegrate. They need a coach who 'gets' why people love ND and is able to work within that system, not one who wants to damage & degrade it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:25 AM 

I'm trying to parse the logic of all the columns I've read, including quotes from Lou Holtz, claiming that the standards are too high to be competitive against the elite schools, with the two experts on the boards here saying it's not an issue. I'll remain confused, I guess. If you think a coach that has won a national championship, like Bob Stoops, will look at all the baggage that comes with Notre Dame, AND the fact that he can't recruit half as many people as he does now at Oklahoma, you're an idiot if you don't think that's a huge factor. Go back to Applebees and talk about the NFL. Notre Dame has no shot at getting a coach that has won a championship in the past 10 years.

- Can you recruit a handful of good players at Notre Dame? Yep.
- Will you always underperform on recruiting against your exalted football heritage? Yep. With a TV contract and the mystique, they should be top-5 nearly every single year like Alabama, Texas, Florida and USC currently are.
- Is it harder to recruit at Notre Dame than an SEC school because of standards and geographic location? Isn't that common sense?

You can't tell me that having one of the top graduation rates in the NCAA for football players (3rd) jives with being able to recruit whoever you want. It doesn't.

So, what's the point of wanting to coach at Notre Dame? Ego. Hey, we've come full circle!

BTW, I just heard Tommy Tuberville say on sports radio that ND was the worst job in football.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:14 AM 

Notre Dame has many positives and negatives.

Yes their academic standards are high but they are not impossible. They have had those standards forever.

Notre Dame is still Notre Dame. They can go to anywhere in the country and recruit any kid that meets their standards. They can compete with USC for the top kids in California, Texas/OU for the top kids in Texas, Michigan/OU for the top mid-west kids; Florida/Miami for the top kids in Florida and Alabama for the top southern kids.

No other school can realistically say that. Those listed above may get a handful of kids out of their strongholds but the overwhelming majority of their kids come out of their base.

Notre Dame can say "all of our games are on network TV"; "If you are a star here, you can win the Heisman"; and all the other history stuff.

Weiss failed because he had never been a head coach before. He knew offense, and ND's offense was very good. But the managing a team was something that he had to learn (and not very well).

Dr. Lou stated it best when he said that you have to have been the head guy somewhere before you are the head guy at Notre Dame. You have to know how to be the leader before you get there. You can't be learning how to be the guy when you are there.

ND is not a choice job as they have not had the right coach since Lou. You get the right guy there and they will get back to being the center of the college football world.

Oh, and I really don't like Notre Dame at all. However it is too easy to root against them now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

2006 Recruiting Class Rank - 8
2007 Recruiting Class Rank - 8
2008 Recruiting Class Rank - 2
2009 Recruiting Class Rank - 21 (Most likely an indicator that players saw that Weis sucks balls)

Yes, it's slightly more difficult to recruit when your players have to have some kind of academic ability, but year after year they somehow manage to pull in strong recruiting classes.

Getting your football information from Lou Holtz? At the beginning of the season that quack said ND would be a contender for the National Championship. I don't think even ND fans believed that bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:47 PM 

I don't think you really understand recruiting, krby. ND can compete in Florida, CA and TX, but those are pipelines for UF, USC and UT. Look at the recruiting lists for those schools when they have top classes, those schools dominate their states. Florida has 3 starters from one school in Lakeland, two of whom, the Pouncey twins on the OL, will likely play in the NFL. Most of the Florida kids know each other, and it's a lot easier to consistently tell a parent that their kid can come to an instate school (important for family), compete in one of the best conferences in football and have huge national exposure.

Notre Dame's 2010 class has exactly 1 4-star or better recruit from Florida, Texas or CA according to Scout.com.

The last player from Notre Dame to win the Heisman was tim Brown in 1987. That's over 20 years ago, dude. The closest they've come to a winner since was #2 with Rocket Ismail in 1990 and Brady Quinn in 2006. Guess how many winners and finalists Miami, FSU and UF have had since 1990. 10. Since 1989, each of those schools has had more finalists than Notre Dame. The Heisman is more about being on the dominant team than it is about whether or not you're Notre Dame, and with this class about to exit the university, they're a long ways off from that. Brady Quinn came in 3rd place to Troy Smith in 2006, for crying out loud. If you can have a year like Brady Quinn and not beat a guy like Troy fucking Smith, I think it might be time to retire the mystique card, just a little. Sure, it's there. But it's not what it once was. Parity in college football has killed Notre Dame's chance to be a contender, year in and year out. Do you really think they can do what USC and Florida have done this decade by simply hiring a coach?

Since 2000, here are the NFL draft stats.

Notre Dame - 41 - 2 first rounders
Florida - 47 - 8 first rounders
USC - 50 - 12 first rounders
Texas - 36 - 12 first rounders
LSU - 44 - 8 first rounders

The only advantage you have in recruiting if you're Notre Dame is the TV contract and the mystique of Notre Dame. There's certainly no advantage in terms getting ready for the NFL, winning trophies, geography or academics. We're in our 30s or 40s, most of us here, I'll bet. 18 year old kids have seen dominance from the SEC, Texas/Oklahoma and USC since they were 8 years old. Don't overestimate the draw that Notre Dame has on people who weren't even alive the last time a ND player won the Heisman or the team won the National Championship. What they do see if, what, 1 win against a top-5 team in how long? Wish I could find that stat. 0 BCS bowl game wins. heh.

Regarding Lou Holtz, here's the quote since you obviously didn't bother reading it:

Quote:
In 2004, all-time Notre Dame great Paul Horning made it clear that the school should ease up on academic restrictions. Horning told ESPN's Dan Patrick that former coach Lou Holtz showed him a list of the top-50 recruits and explained that the university's admissions office would only allow him to recruit three players on the list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Not really sure what has been up Joxur's ass the last few days, but it's ok. I'm sure it will pass. As Xan said, if you are taking anything that Lou Holtz says with more than half a grain of salt, you're showing your sports IQ right there. I'd expect it from Cicely, but I guess I was giving you a little too much credit. You like to make up these imaginary scenarios and try to pass them off as logic, but I don't follow that... logic.

You're bring up ego again as if that's some super-duper key to your whole argument. Doesn't big time coach really coach for his own ego? Or are you one of those people who thinks they are doing it "for the kids"? Now don't get me wrong, I am sure there are coaches out there who truly do coach for the sheer joy of coaching, but anybody. A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y who coaches for Notre Dame, or USC, or LSU, or Florida, or Miami, or any number of schools, is going to that school because he thinks he's a good enough coach to lead the program to greatness. ESPECIALLY if the school had been struggling before he came in. If he didn't think so, then I wouldn't want him to coach my school. Is this ego? Fuckin' A it is. And there's nothing wrong with that, as long as he can back it up. If not, then he needs to GTFO just like Charlie Weis.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or, if you prefer (to soothe your ego), I'll just agree with you that the next coach for Notre Dame football will be someone who has a big ego. As if this wasn't obvious. And to avoid future debates on this topic, I bet the next coach for UCLA also has a big ego. I bet the next coach for the University of Texas also has a huge ego. I bet Michigan's next coach (Jim Harbaugh, in 2 years) also has a big ego.

Now if you'll excuse me, my Double Glazed Baby Back Ribs just arrived.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 PM 

Here I thought Lou Holtz was the last coach to win a national championship at Notre Dame. I guess he had no credibility 20 years ago. He didn't say it last Saturday on Gameday.

Nice job trying to put words in my mouth, though. You know my point, because I've stated it several times.

Quote:
The only thing that will get a big time, proven coach (one who has won a national championship) is ego, pure and simple.
Ego is the only reason Stoops, Saban, Carrol, Meyer or any other proven head coach would go to Notre Dame. There's simply no other reason. Money, recruiting, job security, none of those are advantages for Notre Dame. If you disagree with that, as you've said, then tell me, why would Bob Stoops go to Notre Dame?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:31 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Lou Holtz is an idiot and should be taken off TV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:39 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

Notre Dame will always have a highly ranked recruiting class because recruiting class rankings are based as much on the name of the schools involved as the actual potential of the recruits. That's not to say that those classes didn't have good recruits, but I take those ratings with a big grain of salt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:44 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
Notre Dame - 41 - 2 first rounders
Florida - 47 - 8 first rounders
USC - 50 - 12 first rounders
Texas - 36 - 12 first rounders
LSU - 44 - 8 first rounders

Man, that's horrible. Those ridiculous academic standards are obviously killing the talent available.

/sarcasm off

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:45 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
Notre Dame will always have a highly ranked recruiting class because recruiting class rankings are based as much on the name of the schools involved as the actual potential of the recruits. That's not to say that those classes didn't have good recruits, but I take those ratings with a big grain of salt.

Wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 PM 

I was paraphrasing what Lou Holtz said this past weekend - and your quote above wasn't the quote I was referring to. I give him a little credit about how to coach at ND because he was the coach there and he was successful. They had him retire before he broke Rockne's records.

90% of the stuff Holtz says is garbage. I know, I was old enough to remember him when he coached for my Razorbacks. He was successful there too. I will give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to talking about Notre Dame - as all he ever wanted to be was the head coach for Notre Dame.

Since Holtz left they have had the following coaches:
Bob Davie (1997 - 2001) - Was Holtz's defensive coordinator; was not a head coach before and he started the tarnish of Notre Dame

Ty Willingham (2002 - 2004) - Was the head coach at Stanford prior to getting the job at ND. His first couple years were good then fell hard fast. Was run out of town.

Charlie Weis (2005 - 2009) - Won with Willingham's recruits then couldn't do it with his own.

Part of what has caused the downfall of ND is that they have not had the right coaches - the ones that know how to recruit for ND.

Yes, right now it is very hard for ND to pull in the very top talent because they are not on top. If they get a guy that shows something then they will get back to getting the top recruits. They have sucked this decade and they still are getting all the attention. How much attention would they be getting if they were actually good?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 PM 

I tend to disagree, krby.. I think the top programs have a longterm lock, but I see your point. I don't see ND returning to consistent top-5 / top-10 finishes for a very long time, if ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:55 PM 

The top teams all go through cycles

Texas sucked ass from the late 80's until the early 2000's (Hired Mack Brown)

USC sucked for about 20 years before they hired Pete Carroll

Alabama was down after Stallings left until Saban was hired.

LSU was a laughingstock in the 80's to mid 90's (When Saban was hired)

Florida was nothing in the 70's up until they hired Spurrier.

Oklahoma was down in the 1990's (quite bad in the latter years of that decade) until they hired Stoops in 1999

Ohio State was down in the late 70s really until they hired Tressell

Notre Dame sucked, and they were thinking about ending their major investment in football, before they hired Ara Parseghian.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Jox, I must be as naive as the ND AD because I agree with this statement by him:

Quote:
"It's so important for college sports that Notre Dame be able to prove that we can perform at [a high] level academically and compete for a BCS title," Swarbrick told the Times. "Because frankly the consequence of us not being able to do it ... is really a bad thing for college sports."

Your statements about recruiting are silly. You completely ignore the parental involvement in the decision. Look at Paterno's success at getting children of former players to Penn State. Academics matter to parents; very few parents whose kids would qualify for ND would just ignore graduation rates at home state schools in favor of their kids being close to home. Character matters to parents. Have you ever had a kid recruited? Parents are always invited on recruit visits because the recruiters know they have influence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 PM 

Quote:
Look at Paterno's success at getting children of former players to Penn State.
Huh?

Quote:
Academics matter to parents
I agree. But if a kid doesn't qualify... he doesn't qualify.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:03 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Notre Dame cannot go into a kid's house and tell them "Hey we are going to put you on TV and you can be a star!"... because every major collegiate football program is on TV nowadays. Whether it be CBS or ABC or ESPN or ESPN2 is irrelevant. Whether it is on Saturday afternoon, or Thursday night, or Saturday night is irrelevant. Point is- if you are a major college football program, you are on television. People will watch you. So they can't use that line to separate them from everyone else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 PM 

So much for the Stoops theory, Neesha.

ND lands Brian Kelly, an offensive-minded coach. Let the mediocrity continue, woohoo!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yup

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:23 AM 

Updating:
Coaching changes:

Akron - Fired J.D. Brookhart
Memphis - Fired Tommy West (Nov. 9) Hired Larry Porter (LSU RB Coach)
San Jose State - Dick Tomey retired
Louisville - Fired Kragthorpe Hired Charlie Strong (florida D-Cord)
Virginia - Fired Al Groh
Marshall - Mark Snyder resigns
UNLV - Fired Mike Sanford
Western Kentucky - Fired David Elson
Florida State - Bowden retired, Jimbo Phillips takes over
Notre Dame - Weiss gone, Hired Brian Kelly (Cincinnati head coach)
Kansas - Mangino gone
Maryland - Ralph Friedgen gone?
Cincinnati - Brian Kelly goes to ND

Other coaches looking for a job:
Tommy Tuberville, Phil Fulmer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:29 AM 

It will be interesting to see if Kirby Smart goes anywhere. The folks on talk radio here in Atlanta think he should go to UGA where he could both get paid more and be out of Saban's thumb, but I'm not so sure. A guy who wins top assistant awards should probably get a head coaching job. I was thinking about this on the drive in and I think an intriguing position for him would actually be at Notre Dame. Everyone knows Kelly is an offensive guy, and if you could get a deal for a lot of leeway in making decisions about the defense, it could be a good opportunity. He could probably get paid really well there, too.

Memphis is not going to get anyone good. Their facilities are awful - when there's speculation that you should just drop the football program altogether, it's not a good sign.

FSU has an open coordinator position.

I'd be a bit surprised if Tuberville or Fulmer went anywhere. Tuberville has gone on the record saying he does not want to be a coordinator, and the jobs that are still open are all kind of meh for his abilities. Fulmer - who knows? Kansas might be a good fit. A lot of UT fans hated Fulmer at the end for being too much of a pussy, but maybe that's what Kansas needs after Mangino.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 PM 

Look at the history of the Broyles Award (Top College Football Assistant)

Year Coach School
1996 Mickey Andrews Florida State - Didn't want a head coaching job, just retired from FSU
1997 Jim Herrmann Michigan - Went to NFL as assistant
1998 David Cutcliffe Tennessee - Ole Miss 98-04; Duke 08+
1999 Ralph Friedgen Georgia Tech - Maryland HC 2001+
2000 Mark Mangino Oklahoma - Kansas 02-09
2001 Randy Shannon Miami (FL.) - Miami 2007+
2002 Norm Chow Southern California - OC for NFL Titans, USC and UCLA
2003 Brian VanGorder Georgia - HC for Ga. Southern then coach in NFL
2004 Gene Chizik Auburn - HC Iowa St.07-08; Auburn 09+
2005 Greg Davis Texas - Still at Texas
2006 Bud Foster Virginia Tech - Still at Va Tech
2007 Jim Heacock Ohio State - Still at OSU
2008 Kevin Wilson Oklahoma - Still at OU
2009 Kirby Smart Alabama - just won award

Lots of good names and people that eventually went on to be decent/good head coaches on that list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 PM 

add Mike Leach to the GONE list.

They wanted to get rid of him last year but couldn't. This story has too many tentacles on it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Gotta admit he's a weirdo, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 PM 

The thing I don't get about the Leach situation. Regardless of whether you believe he was practically tortured as the James' side alleges, or simply put in a cool air conditioned shed as Leach' side does...

Why don't you just send the kid home? He had a concussion, diagnosed by a doctor. Why even allow him near practice? Why was he even allowed to suit up? If you're going to go to the length of confining him, just tell him to come back tomorrow or something.

Leach is a freak.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:09 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, you answered your own questions. He's a freak/weirdo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 PM 

From what I have seen and heard Leach's side is saying that James said he had a concussion -- not a doc and that James has a history of being a complainer.

There has been no other reports of Leach harming any other players in his 10 years at TTU.

Yeah he is a bit out there (he considers himself a pirate). But I don't see anything here that should have resulted in him being fired other than the face that he and the administration didn't get along

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 PM 

Hmm, pretty sure I read that the doctors had diagnosed him with a concussion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 PM 

From the Dallas Morning News website
Quote:
ESPN quoted Ted Liggett, Leach's Lubbock-based attorney, as saying that James "was placed in an equipment room as it was much cooler and darker" than the practice field "after a doctor had examined him and returned him to the field."

Liggett told ESPN that James was secluded for one to two hours that day and that the player was provided ice. The attorney said James on another occasion was placed in a "press room with air conditioning and a stationary bike he could use."

There are also many reports of how Craig James was interjecting his opinion of the program all the time - even when it wasn't wanted.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:37 PM 

He WAS diagnosed, though. Even though he was cleared to practice, there was obviously something that caused him to be locked into a room. Whatever that was, Leach should have just sent him home.

Leach was a dbag when he was renegotiating his contract, and karma is a bitch.

Fucking around with head injuries appears to be the new "you don't fuck around" issue, and I'm totally fine with that.

Having said that, it's obvious Adam James is both a mediocre receiver and a prima donna. His career is over. Sounds good to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:41 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

They were saying that by firing Leach, the school doesn't have to pay a clause in his contract of $800,000. Correct me if I am wrong (which all of us have before at sports), but I think if he coached the team in a bowl game that a clause would break in that guaranteed him the money. By firing him, the school doesn't have to pay him that.

Also I heard that he had major conflicts with the AD of the school- Leach thought he was better than the AD, he was the main guy, he thought he "ran the place" instead of the AD, etc. I wonder if the school thought that by going to court, the court would grant Leach the opportunity to coach in the bowl game... and maybe this was the AD's way (and the school's way) of one-upping leach (so to speak) in this situation.

O you want to go to court with an injunction to coach the team in the bowl game? How about we just fire your ass instead?

Now all of this is ESPN radio, and some stuff I read online at the more major sports venues- ESPN, Yahoo, etc. So take it for what it is worth. Also I am not sure if Leach had any more years left on his contract that is now owed to him since the school fired him, but I am pretty sure they won't pay the 800 thousand now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:59 PM 

I have *zero* sympathy for coaches or athletes who get the raw end of the deal on contract details. After seeing players who go to jail and still get paid because of their contracts. It works in favor of the coaches and players more often than not.

You also see so many coaches, especially in college, work the system. It's refreshing to see the system work them occasionally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 AM 

It seems that there IS more to this. Young James went to a press conference and was wearing shades. Leach told him to take them off and the kid smarted off about needing to wear them. So Leach told him to go to the equipment room where it was shaded. There are also many reports that young James complained a lot to daddy James about his lack of playing time. This had daddy James complaining to the coach and administration about what his son should be getting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:20 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
The moral to this story is never play who's dick is bigger with your boss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 PM 

Krby, there are also many complaints about Leach as a coach. There's an interesting thread on the Scout TTU boards about people monitoring players' facebook posts. A LOT of TTU players are standing by Adam James. Sounds like not only was Leach despised by his bosses, threatened to leave almost every year, dragged the university through a painful contract negotiation, but that the team was also pretty divided.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 PM 

-Updating-
Coaching changes:
Akron - Fired J.D. Brookhart; Rob Ianello (ND assistant) hired
Memphis - Fired Tommy West; Hired Larry Porter (LSU RB Coach)
San Jose State - Dick Tomey retired; Mike MacIntyre (Duke assistant) hired)
Louisville - Fired Kragthorpe; Hired Charlie Strong (Florida D-Cord)
Virginia - Fired Al Groh; Hired Mike London (Richmond HC)
Marshall - Mark Snyder resigns; hired John "Doc" Holliday (WVA assistant)
UNLV - Fired Mike Sanford; hired Bobby Hauck (Montana HC)
Western Kentucky - Fired David Elson; hired Willie Taggart (Stanford assistant)
Florida State - Bowden retired, Jimbo Phillips takes over
Notre Dame - Weiss gone, Hired Brian Kelly (Cincinnati head coach)
Kansas - Mangino gone; Turner Gill hired
Buffalo - Turner Gill to Kansas; Jeff Quinn (Cincy OC) hired
Cincinnati - Brian Kelly goes to ND; Butch Jones hired
Central Michigan - Butch Jones to Cincy;
Texas Tech - Leach fired; Tommy Tubberville hired
Kentucky - Rich Brooks retired; Joker Phillips promoted
Louisiana-Monroe - Charlie Weatherbie fired; hired Todd Berry (UNLV OC)
South Florida - Jim Leavitt fired;
Florida - Meyer to take LOA
Southern Cal - Pete Carroll Hired by NFL Seattle Seahawks;

Now with the SC spot open the carousel will start to spin again...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 PM 

Bobby Bowden should go to USF. heh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:06 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru