It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UFC 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

I'm still pissed Belcher got robbed last night. I mean come on, the dude came off the cage and punched him in the face like it was a video game. How did a judge have Akiyama winning every round??!!?? I understand Akiyama had the take downs, but he never did any damage with it!

What can you say about Henderson man. Demolished Bisping. Best part, the interview afterwards. Yeah I knew he was already out, but fuck him. lol!

GSP, straight domination. Thiago never really seemed to have a chance. He didn't dominate the stand up game, and GSP was just brutal on the ground.

Lesnar, wow. Bringing the WWE to the UFC. On the fence a bit, but I think I like this heel angle he's taking. Straight up asshole after the fight but wow. The punches Lesnar delivered on the ground were fucking BRUTAL. The man is a beast! Like with GSP, the question is, who could be next?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: UFC 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:42 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
lol at Lesnar. He must have confused Mir with Goldberg somehow. I would have loved to hear what White railed on him.

The Coors Light bit was gold tho.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:17 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
SurcamStances wrote:
I'm still pissed Belcher got robbed last night. I mean come on, the dude came off the cage and punched him in the face like it was a video game. How did a judge have Akiyama winning every round??!!?? I understand Akiyama had the take downs, but he never did any damage with it!

Akiyama was landing WAY more blows, even if Belcher was shrugging them off. Sure, the ridiculous cage-launch for the Superman punch was cool, but you only get so many points for that.
Quote:
What can you say about Henderson man. Demolished Bisping. Best part, the interview afterwards. Yeah I knew he was already out, but fuck him. lol!

Absolutely agreed. It was a little bit of get-some after Team USA got their asses kicked in TUF.
Quote:
GSP, straight domination. Thiago never really seemed to have a chance. He didn't dominate the stand up game, and GSP was just brutal on the ground.

I will give Thiago this: he did far better than anyone expected once he got taken down. He never gave up trying to get to his feet and he actually got GSP in the guard (which I can't say I've ever seen). GSP was clearly the better fighter, but I and a few friends thought he didn't look quite as dominant without his back slathered in vasoline. ;)
Quote:
Lesnar, wow. Bringing the WWE to the UFC. On the fence a bit, but I think I like this heel angle he's taking. Straight up asshole after the fight but wow. The punches Lesnar delivered on the ground were fucking BRUTAL. The man is a beast! Like with GSP, the question is, who could be next?

Fedor, of course, but Lesnar will face a couple more opponents before then I think. I think Lesnar just let his mouth get ahead of him, but it was wildly entertaining. Nearly as great a show as the fight itself! I enjoyed watching Mir get the shit beat out of him, his first win was pure luck over a clearly dominating fighter who made a simple rookie mistake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:45 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

It was the first pay per view I've ever bought and worth every penny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

The Lesner fight reminded me of being in middle school and watching an older kid put a small kid in a headlock and start pounding. For someone who is a black belt in JJ he sure looked bad on his back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:06 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The first fight with Mir wasn't "luck". Stop with that shit already. Mir is an OUTSTANDING fighter who happened to get dominated. I'll take Mir in 6 out of 10 of those however, as I still think he's the more technically skilled fighter. As Lesnar gets more experience, I think that won't be the case.

As for Akiyama, he deserved to win that fight, but the judge who had it 30-27 was definitely crackified. That fight was a split decision either way at best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Elessar wrote:
The first fight with Mir wasn't "luck". Stop with that shit already. Mir is an OUTSTANDING fighter who happened to get dominated. I'll take Mir in 6 out of 10 of those however, as I still think he's the more technically skilled fighter. As Lesnar gets more experience, I think that won't be the case.

Bullshit it wasn't luck. Lesnar was beating Mir's ass, and while Mir IS a good fighter, it was luck that allowed him to pick up the win. Sure, skill played into it (I've said repeatedly that Lesnar made a stupid mistake), but you can't possibly say that Mir wasn't getting the shit beat out of him until that mistake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Every fight went pretty much as I predicted, yay. I should have bet on them. =(

The only surprising part was that Alvez made it to decision. I expected GSP to finish him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:28 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Bullshit it wasn't luck. Lesnar was beating Mir's ass, and while Mir IS a good fighter, it was luck that allowed him to pick up the win. Sure, skill played into it (I've said repeatedly that Lesnar made a stupid mistake), but you can't possibly say that Mir wasn't getting the shit beat out of him until that mistake.

Yeah, but that's the nature of a submission artist in the old/mid school sense. He's more than perfectly willing to take a beating in order to let the bigger man over-extend himself to get caught. That's EXACTLY what happened and that was his game plan from even before the fight.

It was also his game plan in this fight as well assuming he couldn't keep it standing, but in this case, his wrist got caught. You DO understand how this sport works correct?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Not only do I understand, I've also trained in MMA. My brother-in-law is the former King of the Cage welterweight champ. I've been following the sport since the '90s. So when I say it was luck, I'm not talking out of my ass. Mir is an excellent submission grappler, but Lesnar was a rookie fighter. It was a mistake on his part, and not purely Mir's skill, that lost him that fight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
So Royce Gracie getting his ass kicked in every fight, only to win with a submission out of nowhere, was simply due to luck? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
So Royce Gracie getting his ass kicked in every fight, only to win with a submission out of nowhere, was simply due to luck? :P

Reading comprehension is your friend. I did not say "simply due to luck." I said specifically that it was not entirely luck, that Mir is a submission expert, and that skill played in. However, he was getting his ass beat far worse than anything I've ever seen Gracie take. For that first minute and a half he was getting absolutely pounded. Then Lesnar made the mistake of standing over him and not committing to either getting back and letting him stand or smothering him and pounding him again. Mir got the submission, but it was Lesnar's rookie fuck-up that let him do it. If Lesnar had even a couple more fights worth of experience at that point, he'd have known to get back to the ground and pound.

Which, not surprisingly, is exactly what he did at UFC 100.

And since some of you seem to have forgotten just how badly Mir was getting beat in that first match, these are photos of him that night, right after the win, and again just a few hours after the match. 90 seconds is all it took for Lesnar to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

And yeah, I'm so happy Bisping got his ass handed to him. I hate that guy so much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:32 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Just saw this from a post-fight interview with Mir. And people wonder why Lesnar got in his face.
Quote:
"I didn't degrade him and say he was an idiot [when I beat him]...There was no point to kick the guy while he was down...OK, I beat the guy. What, am I going to spit on you, too?..When he didn't come after me, that really threw me off...He didn't land any punches on his feet, did he?...I didn't expect him to run...He ran like a lightweight. ... It's my fault. I should have trained that he would be intimidated from the standup...I basically was (within) a half-an-inch of catching him...I made a stupid mistake...If I can just nail that gap to even 10 pounds, it'll be a different fight next time...Hopefully next time, I'll show him how somebody is supposed to act in victory."

Right, Mir, right. He was intimidated by you, and that's how he kicked your ass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:33 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

That's right. Make sure you train with the assumption that everyone is scared of you. I get it now.

I still wish Randy had beaten the big meatwad that is Lesnar. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:32 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
Not only do I understand, I've also trained in MMA. My brother-in-law is the former King of the Cage welterweight champ. I've been following the sport since the '90s. So when I say it was luck, I'm not talking out of my ass. Mir is an excellent submission grappler, but Lesnar was a rookie fighter. It was a mistake on his part, and not purely Mir's skill, that lost him that fight.

Again, I totally agree with your assessment there. Lesnar's mistake + Mir's skill = victory. But that wasn't luck, that was his game plan vs a MUCH larger fighter and accomplished wrestler with some amazing shooting ability for a man his size.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
That was pretty much the point I was getting at in my Gracie comment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:48 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I guess what I should be saying is this: Mir wasn't lucky getting the grapple. He was lucky to be fighting Lesnar at such an early stage in Lesnar's career. It's clear that Lesnar has evolved past the mistake he made in that first fight. It's unlikely we'll see him leave himself open to potential submissions like that again, especially as he improves over time. I'm very interested to see who they bring in against him next, be it Couture again, or Nog, or Carwin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Well, on the positive for Lesnar, it's practically impossible to catch him in a Kimura or conventional guillotine. That said, he's open to knee and ankle bars, leaves himself vulnerable to a reversal into an armbar, and his striking needs a lot of work. Someone with good takedown defense (please Crocop learn the fucking cage) could also demolish his base if they can keep him standing for a round or two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I dunno, I think Lesnar has the potential to be just as devastating on his feet as he is doing ground and pound. That hit he scored at the start of his fight with Herring was massive. Even one shot from Lesnar would be enough to seriously hurt most opponents.

I agree that his one glaring weakness are his legs. He needs to learn how to protect them better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Sherdog ranks the divisions:
Quote:
Heavyweight

1. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)
It almost seems like ages ago that Emelianenko was facing criticism over his level of competition. Affliction’s “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 will mark Emelianenko’s third straight bout against a former UFC champion, as he takes on Josh Barnett in their long-awaited heavyweight clash.

2. Josh Barnett (24-5)
The Ts are crossed and the Is are dotted. Barnett will finally take on Fedor Emelianenko on Aug. 1 at Affliction “Trilogy” in yet another marquee heavyweight showdown for MMA in the coming months.

3. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
In just five fights, Lesnar now owns the full UFC heavyweight crown and sports stoppages over the likes of Frank Mir and Randy Couture. However, despite his overwhelming performance against Mir at UFC 100, Lesnar's post-fight pro-wrestling theatrics seem to have overshadowed his victory.

4. Frank Mir (12-4)
Mir was in his best shape in years for his rematch with Brock Lesnar at UFC 100. It wasn't enough, though, for him to duplicate his first-round submission win from February 2008, as Lesnar brutally pounded Mir out in the second stanza.

5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-5-1, 1 NC)
Whether it will wind up being the fight for which fans had long hoped remains to be seen, but two of the sport’s most enduring icons will square off at UFC 102 in August when Nogueira finally meets up with Randy Couture.

6. Randy Couture (16-9)
His bout with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is long overdue. Hopefully, when “The Natural” and “Minotauro” square off at UFC 102 in August, the clash of heavyweight legends will not prove past its expiration date.

7. Brett Rogers (10-0)
After his blistering 22-second knockout of Andrei Arlovski, Rogers was expected to be fast-tracked to a Strikeforce title shot against champion Alistair Overeem. Instead, the unbeaten prospect will continue honing his craft on Strikeforce's October offering against a yet-to-be-named opponent.

8. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
Despite having knocked off the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson in the recent past, those accomplishments now seem like distant memories for Arlovski. “The Pitbull” has been brutally smashed in his last two outings against Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, and conversation now centers on the fragile chin that has betrayed him again.

9. Shane Carwin (11-0)
Carwin will be back in action at UFC 104 on Oct. 24. If all goes according to plan, he'll find opposition in fellow unbeaten heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez in a bout rich with risk and reward for both fighters.

10. Alistair Overeem (29-11, 1 NC)
In the first defense of his Strikeforce heavyweight title, Alistair Overeem will get a chance for revenge on Aug. 15. He will stake his mantle against UFC and Pride veteran Fabricio Werdum, who submitted the high-flying Dutchman back in May 2006.

Other contenders: Junior dos Santos, Aleksander Emelianenko, Jeff Monson, Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum.

Quote:
Light heavyweight

1. Lyoto Machida (15-0)
Fresh off his May 23 blowout of Rashad Evans, it appeared as though Machida would soon start preparing for a challenge from former light heavyweight ruler Quinton Jackson. However, with Jackson opting for a second coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” Machida’s first title defense is expected to come in October against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104.

2. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
Jackson was handed a title shot against Lyoto Machida, but he opted to settle his beef with Rashad Evans instead. The pair will coach opposite each other on the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

3. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
After his first career loss -- and a brutal loss no less -- Evans is not taking it easy. “The Ultimate Fighter 2” winner will return to the show on which he first made his name, coaching against rival Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. The two light heavyweights will meet later this year.

4. Forrest Griffin (16-5)
Coming off of a deflating loss to Rashad Evans in December, many fighters would've opted for a tune-up bout. Forrest Griffin initially was tabbed to meet Brazilian banger Thiago Silva at UFC 101. That was before Griffin decided that a bout with the sport's pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva sounded more appealing on Aug. 8.

5. Mauricio Rua (18-3)
Fortune has smiled upon Rua. Following UFC 98, it looked as if “Shogun” was a fight or more away from challenging for the UFC title. Now, however, the consensus 2005 “Fighter of the Year” could have a chance to regain light heavyweight supremacy at UFC 104 in October, should his anticipated bout with Lyoto Machida come to fruition.

6. Luis Arthur Cane (10-1)
It was his toughest test to date, but “Banha” showed poise in toughing out an entertaining decision in his April 18 bout with former WEC champion Steve Cantwell. It should be onward and upward for the hot prospect in the 205-pound division.

7. Rich Franklin (25-4, 1 NC)
Franklin felt he was robbed in his split decision loss to Dan Henderson in January. At UFC 99, "Ace" got back into the win column with his unanimous decision over Wanderlei Silva, putting the former UFC middleweight champion's light heavyweight run back on track.

8. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (17-3)
Though an appearance on Affliction's Aug. 1 "Trilogy" card won’t materialize for Nogueira, "Minotoro" is not settling for inactivity. Having had his MMA debut in his native Brazil in May, Nogueira will go for seconds when he takes on "The Brazilian Killa" Alex Stiebling under the Bitetti Combat banner on Sept. 12.

9. Keith Jardine (14-5-1)
With his up-and-down performances, Jardine's place in the light heavyweight division has been hard to peg. However, "The Dean of Mean" will get the chance to prove where he stacks up when he takes on Brazilian brawler Thiago Silva at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

10. Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1, 1 NC)
Though Silva dropped a unanimous verdict to Rich Franklin at UFC 99, "The Axe Murderer" fought gamely throughout and many thought he deserved the decision. His days at 205 pounds seem numbered, but his performance against Franklin has at least kept him relevant for a middleweight run.

Other contenders: Jon Jones, Chuck Liddell, Vladimir Matyushenko, Thiago Silva, Renato Sobral.

Quote:
Middleweight

1. Anderson Silva (24-4)
Drawing scorn for his lackluster April title defense against Thales Leites, Silva was clearly in need of an interesting challenge. Now Silva -- who has taken out elite welterweights and middleweights in his career -- will have the chance to put away an elite light heavyweight at UFC 101 on Aug. 8 when he meets former 205-pound king Forrest Griffin.

2. Yushin Okami (23-4)
Okami tweaked his knee in preparing for a May bout with Dan Miller but will still get a chance to face strong middleweight opposition in his next outing. Japan’s top 185-pounder will likely meet former UFC title challenger Patrick Cote at UFC 103 in September.

3. Nate Marquardt (28-8-2)
Marquardt wants to rematch divisional ace Anderson Silva, who iced him in July 2007. In order to get another chance at “The Spider” and the UFC middleweight title, Marquardt will need to take out his biggest challenge since his bout with Silva -- undefeated Brazilian jiu-jitsu king Demian Maia at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

4. Dan Henderson (25-7)
Henderson put an exclamation mark on the end of "The Ultimate Fighter 9" at UFC 100 by brutally starching rival coach Michael Bisping in the second frame. For the former two-division champion of Pride, getting another crack at the UFC middleweight title now depends on the Aug. 29 bout between fellow top contenders Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia.

5. Demian Maia (10-0)
Few fighters, if any, have been as impressive as Maia over the last 14 months. His road to a shot at the UFC middleweight title now runs through Nate Marquardt at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

6. Jorge Santiago (21-7)
Santiago will meet either Kazuo Misaki or Kazuhiro Nakamura in the first defense of his Sengoku middleweight title later this year. However, Santiago has a tall task before then, as he will meet fellow Brazilian Vitor Belfort on Aug. 1 at Affliction “Trilogy.”

7. Thales Leites (14-2)
No doubt wanting to erase the memories of his April title challenge against Anderson Silva, Leites has quickly accepted a bout with Italian striker Alessio Sakara at UFC 101 on Aug. 8.

8. Robbie Lawler (16-5, 1 NC)
Lawler appeared to be in control on the feet in his June 6 bout with Jake Shields. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was tapping out to a Shields guillotine choke, leaving his next move in Strikeforce’s middleweight division uncertain.

9. Vitor Belfort (18-8)
A fight with rising star Gegard Mousasi did not pan out for Belfort, but “The Phenom” will get another top 10 middleweight at Affliction “Trilogy,” where he will meet up with his Brazilian countryman, Jorge Santiago, on Aug. 1.

10. Chael Sonnen (23-10-1)
You’d be hard-pressed to find too many people who think of Sonnen as an elite middleweight. Fortunately for the Team Quest product, results are what count. He put on a dominant display against top 15 opposition in Dan Miller at UFC 98.

Other contenders: Yoshihiro Akiyama, Michael Bisping, Patrick Cote, Dan Miller, Frank Trigg.

Quote:
Welterweight

1. Georges St. Pierre (19-2)
Another title defense, another elite contender, another dominant victory for St. Pierre. GSP's lopsided decision over an elite challenger in Thiago Alves at UFC 100 showed why St. Pierre is one of the sport's pound-for-pound kings and has caused many fans and pundits to begin demanding a move to middleweight. However, St. Pierre's next challenge will likely come from the winner of the September bout between Mike Swick and Martin Kampmann.

2. Jon Fitch (19-3, 1 NC)
Hardly flashy, but Fitch racked up yet another solid victory at UFC 100, taking a hard-fought unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Paulo Thiago. The victory moved Fitch's mark in the Octagon to an impressive 10-1.

3. Thiago Alves (16-4)
Though Alves struggled to muster much offense in his 25-minute decision loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100, the Brazilian stalwart showed considerable grit by making it to the final bell against the vastly superior St. Pierre. The other silver lining for the "Pitbull"? He's only 25 years old.

4. Jake Shields (23-4-1)
He may have looked out of his depth for a minute or so, but Shields’ submission skills shined through once again June 6 against Robbie Lawler. The former EliteXC welterweight champion submitted the former EliteXC middleweight titleholder 2:02 into their Strikeforce bout, recording his 12th straight win. Shields’ unbeaten streak now spans almost five years.

5. Martin Kampmann (15-2)
Kampmann said he is only interested in big fights at 170. Fortunately for Denmark's top MMA export, he's got one: Kampmann will take on Mike Swick at UFC 103 on Sept. 19. The winner is likely to be next in line for a crack at Georges St. Pierre's welterweight throne.

6. Paulo Thiago (11-1)
Thiago finally got one put in the loss column at UFC 100. However, the still fairly unknown Brazilian did prove that he was tougher than previously thought following his upset over Josh Koscheck in February by dragging divisional elite Jon Fitch through three competitive rounds.

7. Josh Koscheck (12-4)
A foot injury deprived Koscheck of a chance to get back into action against Chris Wilson at UFC 98 in May. Koscheck’s next bout will be even sterner now. His opponent for UFC 103 on Sept. 19 is former UFC welterweight title challenger Frank Trigg, who returns to the promotion and the division after a run at middleweight.

8. Carlos Condit (22-5)
Condit was unsuccessful in his UFC debut in April, losing a hotly contested split decision to Martin Kampmann. However, the former WEC champ may have a crack at some extra money in his second Octagon appearance, as he'll take on regular "Fight of the Night" bonus recipient Chris Lytle at Sept. 16's UFC Fight Night card.

9. Mike Swick (14-2)
Having put together a 4-0 mark as a welterweight, Swick's big moment at 170 has arrived. The fleet-handed AKA product will take on Dane Martin Kampmann on Sept. 19 at UFC 103 with the winner likely gaining the right to challenge Georges St. Pierre.

10. Dan Hardy (22-6, 1 NC)
With his split decision over Marcus Davis at UFC 99 in June, Hardy has emerged as yet another contender in the UFC's startlingly deep welterweight division. The victory was his 11th in his last 12 fights, his lone loss in that span coming via contested disqualification against Yoshiyuki Yoshida in December 2007.

Other contenders: Marcus Davis, Jay Hieron, Matt Hughes, Karo Parisyan, Nick Thompson.

*With no wins in nearly 20 months, the currently suspended Karo Parisyan falls from sixth to the contenders list, just outside the top 10.

Lightweight
Featherweight
Bantamweight
Flyweight

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
If Fedor doesn't destroy Barnett, I will be very sad. That man is a beast.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Thanks for that list. I am somewhat interested in MMA but didn't know who was where, what class, rankings and such.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Nice comeback by Coleman, guess he still knows how that ground 'n' pound works.

GSP and Lesnar fights all turn out the same now. Sure there doesnt seem to be anyone right now who can beat either of the two, but exciting? I dont know.

I'm looking forward to UFC 102, ill take
Nate Marquardt Vs. Demian Maia
Keith Jardine Vs. Thiago Silva
Matt Hamill Vs. Brandon Vera
over the UFC 100 fights any day of the week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Sherdog's pound for pound Top 10
Quote:
1. Anderson Silva (24-4)
With another brilliant performance from Georges St. Pierre, and another top heavyweight on the slate for Fedor Emelianenko, the pressure is on Silva to prove he is, in fact, the sport’s pound-for-pound king. At UFC 101 on Aug. 8, his 205-pound bout with Forrest Griffin will afford him a unique opportunity: a win over the former UFC light heavyweight champion would make Silva the first man in the sport’s history with top five-caliber victories across three weight classes. He started his career as a standout welterweight before becoming the most dominant middleweight in mixed martial arts history.

2. Georges St. Pierre (19-2)
On paper, Thiago Alves was supposed to be St. Pierre’s most dangerous challenger to date in the welterweight division. However, “Rush” dealt with Alves just as he has dealt with other elite welterweights, as he dominated him from bell-to-bell in an impressively one-sided unanimous decision win over yet another top opponent. St. Pierre’s performance was such that many have started to question whether or not a move to middleweight should be in the cards. However, the next challenger for the sport’s welterweight ruler will come from either Mike Swick or Martin Kampmann, who will square off in a title eliminator at UFC 103 in September.

3. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)
Emelianenko’s long-awaited bout with Josh Barnett will headline Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1. Though many have criticized the relative dearth of top heavyweight talent and Emelianenko’s opponent selection as knocks against his pound-for-pound status, his fight with Barnett will mark the Russian’s third consecutive match against a top 10 former UFC heavyweight champion. However, in unfortunate news for MMA’s heavyweight king, the fan-proposed guerilla tactic of chanting Emelianenko’s name at UFC 100 never got off the ground.

4. Lyoto Machida (15-0)
With his brilliant display of dominance in capturing the UFC light heavyweight title and the 205-pound mantle in May, Machida had already built instant anticipation for a showdown with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. However, Jackson instead opted for a second coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” which will set up a bout with Rashad Evans. Yet, in a testament to the depth of the UFC and the 205-pound division itself, consensus “Fighter of the Year” Mauricio “Shogun” Rua emerged as Plan B for Machida’s first UFC title defense at UFC 104 in October.

5. Miguel Torres (37-1)
There’s little rest for a king, and bantamweight ruler Torres is proof positive. After emerging victorious in his thrilling 25-minute war with Takeya Mizugaki in April, Torres will take on undefeated challenger Brian Bowles at WEC 43 on Aug. 9. That show will also feature a de facto title eliminator between hot up-and-comers Joseph Benavidez and Dominick Cruz, the winner of which figures to meet Torres before the year ends -- just like clockwork.

6. Mike Thomas Brown (22-4)
Of any pound-for-pound entrant on this list, Brown may be the least vibrant and least tailor-made for stardom. However, the 33-year-old American Top Teamer remains, without question, the king of the 145-pound world, and reaffirmed it in June when he earned a second win over Urijah Faber. Despite gritting out a 25-minute unanimous verdict over “The California Kid,” Brown’s biggest test may be yet to come. His next title challenger come November will be brutal Brazilian dynamo Jose Aldo, possibly the most dangerous fighter the division can offer.

7. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
Many fans and critics still see Jackson through the prism of July 2008 vehicular insanity. However, for whatever poor judgment he has exercised outside the cage, inside it, Jackson is 4-1 against five straight top 10 opponents in one of MMA’s deepest divisions. Now, the colorful and charismatic 205-pound standout will captain his second squad of TUFers on Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which will lead up to a high-profile December showdown with fellow former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.

8. B.J. Penn (13-5-1)
Talent has never lacked with Penn, only his desire and focus. His desire to move back up to 170 pounds to challenge Georges St. Pierre in January was not only unsuccessful, but it also put the UFC’s lightweight class on an extended hiatus. However, the division is poised to get back on track come Aug. 8, when, at UFC 101, Penn will take on a top five challenger, Kenny Florian, in the second defense of his lightweight mantle.

9. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
The first defense of Evans’ UFC light heavyweight belt in May was disastrous, as he was dominated from pillar to post by Lyoto Machida. Fortunately for the Greg Jackson pupil, he remains in a star-laden and talent-rich division. Better still, Evans’ comeback fight will come in a high-profile showdown against a fellow pound-for-pound entrant, as he will take on fellow “The Ultimate Fighter 10” coach Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in December.

10. Jon Fitch (19-3, 1 NC)
Though seldom flashy, Fitch wins. By gritting out a unanimous verdict over tougher-than-expected and previously unbeaten Brazilian Paulo Thiago at UFC 100, Fitch upped his record in the UFC to an impressive 10-1. More importantly, those 11 fights have come in arguably MMA’s deepest and most talented division. He may not ever make Sportscenter’s top 10, but he will likely remain in the welterweight top 10 and beating elite opponents for a good while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Machida should be #2 at this stage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:49 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I'll give Machida 3rd. I'd say Silva/GSP are right at 1 and 2 (Or swap them!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:01 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I was pretty disappointed with Silva's last fight. It was boring, and Silva looked like a bit of an asshole with the way he was acting during the match.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I agree, I have GSP > Machida > Fedor > Silva in my list.

Offline Profile