It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:40 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Pittsburgh wins the Cup even though Crosby touched it before the series. WTG Penguins. Hockey is a chump sport, but that was a very enjoyable series.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

What defines a chump sport?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Anything with Canadians in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

A sport that just shuts down for a few seasons because the owners are too stupid to know how to run it.

Plus anything with Canadians in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
A sport that just shuts down for a few seasons because the owners are too stupid to know how to run it.

Plus anything with Canadians in it.

And by few, you must mean one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

That's one too many. They lost a whole season with their stupidity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I am not that big of a hockey follower, but the finals were a hell of a watch. Pittsburgh winning at Detroit made it even bigger.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Quote:
In 1987, the National Football League Players' Association called a strike over free agency (a player's right to sign a contract with whatever team he wants). The players walked off the job two games into the season, and three games were played by players recruited from colleges and other football leagues. Scab football was extremely unpopular, and a few NFL regulars crossed the picket lines to resume play. Players continued to return to work until the strike ended without any resolution. Eventually a new contract was signed that was more to the owners' liking.

In 1994, the Major League Baseball Players Association refused to accept the owners' demands for a salary cap. The season ground to a halt on August 12, 1994 and the World Series was cancelled. It was the eighth baseball strike in history, and the first time that a North American professional sports organization postseason was lost because of labor disputes. Play resumed again in spring 1995 under the terms of the expired contract, after a judge issued an injunction against the team owners.

Although there have been three work stoppages in National Hockey League history, only one of them was a strike. In 1992, hockey players went on strike for 10 days before reaching an agreement with owners. The 1994 and 2004 work stoppages were lockouts -- the employers' counterpart to a strike. The owners prevented the players from returning to work when they could not come to an agreement. The 2004 lockout lasted an entire season, making the NHL the first North American sports organization to lose an entire season to a labor dispute. It was also the first time since 1919 that the Stanley Cup went unawarded.

Yes, hockey is the only sport that has lost an entire season, but certainly not the only one to make a season basically meaningless. I enjoy seeing hockey live much more than basketball or baseball.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 PM 

Hockey is fun to watch on TV and in person. The NBA is fun to watch in person but not on TV, and baseball is neither. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I really like baseball. There is so much mental involvement in baseball that people who don't understand baseball chalk up to being "slow" or "boring"

Understanding how a pitcher pitches to batters, setting them up from one pitch to the next from one at-bat to another really makes the game that much more exciting.

I don't like a baseball game that ends up 15-12. Give me a well pitched 1-0 ballgame and I am a happy camper.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Hockey is just the easiest to make fun of.

I actually enjoy a good game (when the goons don't ruin it). All joking aside, I almost prefer to watch hockey over the NBA because you don't have the refs controlling the game so much like they do in basketball. Some NBA games are virtually unwatchable simply due to the refs. But regardless of what the 'purists' say, I think hockey will always be the bastard child of the sporting world until they clean the game up. The NHL could learn alot from Olympic hockey. Everyone loves to watch Olympic hockey. The game is much more wide open and fluid and you don't have the goons coming in to start shit. Fights are fun, but seriously, that shit kills the sport's credibility.

ps: hockey sux

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Everyone's true feelings have come out, my work here is done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Hockey is just the easiest to make fun of.

I actually enjoy a good game (when the goons don't ruin it). All joking aside, I almost prefer to watch hockey over the NBA because you don't have the refs controlling the game so much like they do in basketball. Some NBA games are virtually unwatchable simply due to the refs. But regardless of what the 'purists' say, I think hockey will always be the bastard child of the sporting world until they clean the game up. The NHL could learn alot from Olympic hockey. Everyone loves to watch Olympic hockey. The game is much more wide open and fluid and you don't have the goons coming in to start shit. Fights are fun, but seriously, that shit kills the sport's credibility.

ps: hockey sux

Goons ruin the game? Not on my ice they don't.

Wait. I AM a goon. Fuck. Maybe we do.

ps: no we don't ;P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 AM 

I used to work with a black guy who played hockey. I should have gotten his autograph.

Offline Profile