It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 NFL Draft Chat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Who is your team? Where are they at in the first round? Who do you want them to draft most? Other thoughts? Should the Lions really go QB with the first pick? If not, who?

If I were a Lions fan, I would say no to QB. I just don't feel like Stafford is a #1 pick. But as a Rams fan, I say hell yeah pick Stafford, and leave [edit]Jason Smith for my Rams. Without a doubt, T [edit]Jason Smith from Baylor is who I want at the 2 spot. With C Jason Brown signing this off-season, I'll be feeling pretty good about our line if we get him. So please, please, please don't trade Cutler to Detroit. :(

Last edited by SurcamStances on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
My teams are the Saints and the Texans. Without a doubt, the Saints need help on the defensive side of the ball. I'd be happy if they took a DB or pretty much anyone, really. They may do something crazy (or not-so-crazy) like draft another RB to help Reggie Bush out, but I really think they need to go Defense.

The Texans are in a pretty interesting situation. Steve Slaton exceeded most peoples' expectations and may end up being the long-term #1 back they need, although his size may hurt his durability. So they may go with another RB. The could possibly take Beanie Wells, but that would be a pretty high pick to take him, and I am not sure he should go that early. I'd be happy if they got Knowshon instead, but they passed on Reggie Bush once, and the two backs remind me of each other. Hell, they could even go for a Hakeem Nicks (WR) to compliment Andre Johnson, but I don't think WR is that big of a need with the 15th pick. Their defense is starting to really look good. Especially with the signing of Antonio Smith. They could possibly go defense, but I'd rather them get a playmaker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
My team picks last (Go Steelers!) go for Best Lineman (Offensive or Defensive) or Best Player Available :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Maybe the Saints will trade all of their picks for Ricky Williams....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:26 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
As a Lions fan (yikes!) I would love to be able to trade that pick to Denver for Cutler. Josh thinks he can groom any QB into Brady-esqe caliber, so let him take Stafford or Sanchez and work his "magic". BTW just cause you lucked out on one season with Cassell doesn't mean you can get any ol QB and do the exact same results. O well he comes from the New England school of arrogance so maybe this will be a wake up call for him...

Of course I doubt that Denver would be that dumb. And considering we already lost Kitna and Orlovsky to other teams this year, and Culpepper is like 32 going on 85... it would be best to get a QB. However I really think Sanchez is the better QB, but you cannot take Sanchez first overall. Hopefully we can trade down, get Sanchez and another pick or player or two and get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately ESPN/Detroit Free Press reports that Lions are in negotiations already with their #1 pick on a contract so it looks like they already made up their mind on Stafford. Ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:09 AM 

Sanchez will still be there when Detroit get's to their 2nd first round pick (the one they got from Dallas for Roy Williams). They don't have to make a trade and get the best OL in the draft this year and get a QB in Sanchez.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:05 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

My team is the Lions and I desperately want them to forgo a QB with the number 1 pick and take Andre Smith. I don't really expect them to, considering how well they've drafted in the past, but I wish they would.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Sanchez will not be around at pick 20. I seriously doubt that. I am quite confident that there are several teams picking between 5 and 15 who will pick him up and make him a starter in 2010/2011. I just don't see him being a colossal drop like Quinn was- besides I do believe he is a better pro prospect at QB than Quinn was coming out of Notre Dame.

I haven't analyzed the draft order yet with a fine tooth comb (then again the only one I really ever do is NBA), but I just would be shocked if Sanchez was around at 20.

Is Andre Smith the Alabama OT? If so... I thought he slipped out of the top 10 because of him leaving early and failing at the combines. Or am I getting that Smith mixed up with someone else? I guess I gotta go to espn.com or something... if he is, do you REALLY want that kid? Someone who bails out of the combine? That is a poor attitude/work ethic just waiting to explode in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I read somewhere that the Lions were negotiating with Jason Smith from Baylor for their number 1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:28 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Yeah, that's my bad cicely, I meant Jason Smith from Baylor, not Andre Smith from Alabama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
My team is da Bears. Teh draft is always scary for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:25 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

From ESPN
Quote:
Lions looking to swap the No. 1 pick?
With an extra pick stashed away at No. 20, the Detroit Lions are open to making a deal for the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft, general manager Martin Mayhew told Vic Carucci of NFL.com. This comes on the heels of reports that the team was negotiating contracts with several candidates for the top pick prior to the draft, with Jason Smith leading the way.

In spite of the Lions' willingness to trade away the top pick, it's unlikely that they'll have many suitors given the uncertainty associated with the top-rated prospects this year as well as the monstrous contracts required when drafting that high. A more likely scenario could be trading the No. 20 pick, and this is the selection that has been associated with the Jay Cutler trade rumors.

I'm afraid they're going to trade for a QB and pick Jason Smith. :( Could the Lions actually do the smart thing with their draft picks for once?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

What would be the problem with trading #20 for Cutler? I would LOVE for the Lions to do that. Heck I would LOVE the Lions to trade #1 for Cutler, but I highly doubt that anyone wants to pay $30+ million for that pick. Like someone said earlier... no one wants to be #1 overall because they have to pay that high dollar amount for a completely unproven commodity that could bust in the team's face, and then negatively impact the next several years with cap space.

I don't understand why you think it is wrong to take Smith at #1 and trade #20 for Cutler. Explain?

BTW Millen destroyed the Lions the past 7 years or so. Now that he is gone (probably best move for the franchise they have made in a decade), they have someone with competence making football decisions which will help them succeed in the future...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

he's talking about what he'd like to be available for the Rams there at pick 2, as in Smith available and Stafford not

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:27 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

cicely wrote:
I don't understand why you think it is wrong to take Smith at #1 and trade #20 for Cutler. Explain?

You don't understand because you apparently haven't read the thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Gotcha. I read the thread, I just forgot some of it ;)

I wonder if Cutler does get traded to Detroit and they go with Smith... do the Rams see Bulger as a long term solution? I am not sure how old Bulger is, but I would think the Rams might look at Stafford. If so... that will put the franchise back another few more years :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:59 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Broncos will try to move unhappy Cutler

Oh noez!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

He's such a pussy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

looks like the Lions are starting to lean back towards Stafford

that would be foolishness imo, no point in drafting a QB when you are giving up 50+ sacks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

No point in drafting a WR with your first pick when you don't have a QB to throw it to him, either, yet they managed to do that... three times in a row.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Well I am still holding out hope that they can trade #20 (and other picks/players) to Denver for Cutler. I am anti-Stafford; however the management of the Lions seems like he is making a great impression. And considering that Lions management no longer has the worst GM in professional sports history (Millen) making decisions... then I guess I will put some faith in them.

Whether it be Cutler or Stafford, they do have a ways to go before they can be respectable. Someone on ESPN NFL Live (or one of their football shows) did mention that if they get Cutler, you could be looking at 6-8 wins with the Lions. I don't know if I share that high of enthusiasm, but I do think they are good for at least 3 wins next year. I hope :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Yay for the Rams! We got our guy! Love, love, loved the streamlining of the draft this year. Much better to watch. Still scratching my head about the Chiefs not picking Curry. Tyson Jackson? We'll see.

I like what the Browns did, mimicking the Pats and stockpiling some future draft picks.

Raiders were definitely surprising with their Heyward-Bey pick. I'm not ready to jump up and down about it like most are. Mostly because I'm not a fan, but also because speed does kill. Will have to wait and see. Doesn't matter what WR they pick anyway if the QB can't get him the ball.

Minnesota getting Harvin from Florida at 22 could be huge. Really like that guy, he always stepped up on the big stage.

Lastly, I like Pettigrew from Oklahoma State going to Detroit. Should help out Stafford nicely to have a blocking safety valve like that to develop with.

What are ya'lls thoughts? How did your team do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 AM 

I liked what the Steelers drafted. Would have like more help on the O-Line but I didn't have any "whaththehellweretheythinking" moments like I did with Dallas. What a waste of a draft. Couldn't have happened to a better team :)

Dallas gets in the "we need to draft a QB" mindset, so they pick the guy from one of the Texas Universities, oops they got the guy from A&M that had the one of the worst passing attacks in college football over the past few years.

Then in the 5th round they pick a placekicker. Isn't their current kicker a two-year Pro-Bowler? Love when teams, like the Cowboys, waste draft picks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I guess I am forced to have 41.7 million guaranteed reasons to be happy with my team's top draft pick. Somehow, though, I just don't...

I love the TE pick. Someone compared him to Tony Gonzalez. If he is half the TE that Gonzalez was, then he is better than pretty much anyone Detroit has ever had in my 35+ years of being alive on this planet.

Surprised they did not go for the USC LB in the second round (Maulauga (sp)) and got the DB instead. Supposedly the guy hits like a train though- as long as he can play, then that is fine.

Like Kiper said yesterday, Detroit needed like 10-15 players. They could only draft 3 top ones in the first two rounds. It will take time, but I guess I like the progress being made. Still think Sanchez will be the better QB, only time will tell of course...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Packers had a great draft. Very happy with the choices made, and I expect to see some positive impact on their defense this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:29 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
I liked the Bills draft. The team may not want to say it but they are 1 year removed from being a play off team. They addressed huge needs and brought in TO (big mistake) to sell tickets.

Jason Peters to philly was good for both teams but my reality is 7-9 or 8 and 8 at best.

Offline Profile