Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
huh?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
He's talking about the Ultimate Fighting Pay Per View that airs this Saturday. He is picking his winners. George St. Pierre over BJ Penn in a unanimous decision, etc. I personally think Bonnar and Diaz will win their fights. The GSP/BJ Penn fight should be a good one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I want to see Penn get his ass beat...bad!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Wow. That was just total fucking domination. And Machida also looked VERY impressive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!

EQ1: Tyral
WoW: Tyrak
Yeah. I was rooting for Penn but GSP completely dominated him. Very disappointing. I was very happy to see Machida win, that was a great shot right before the bell.

Guida needs a goddam haircut, btw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Yeah I was shocked. Penn was completely outclassed.

I would more shocked at the number of judge's decisions. 8 total, that's gotta be a record.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Quote:
Early Sunday morning reports from Las Vegas have the BJ Penn camp set to formally file a complaint against Georges St. Pierre to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for excessive use of vaseline. UFC President Dana White commented on the situation at the post fight press conference:

"I saw the commission jump up there and flip out," said Dana White. "They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them, knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

As for what becomes of the complaint now, White said it's out of his hands.

"Who knows. That's up to the commission."

Insidefighting.com spoke with top Penn trainer Rudy Valentino this morning and he had the following to say regarding the issue:

“We just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again to someone else. It is not good for the sport. For their camp to be busted doing something bad like that, to be busted doing it and then to keep doing it after the referee had warned them… I respect Greg Jackson but to do something like that, his integrity has been compromised.” Valentino says of St. Pierre’s coach.

Valentino says that Jackson actually came to him after the fight and apologized for the alleged improper tactic. “He came to me and apologized for it, but to do it and then apologize after is a bit half hearted,” Valentino says.

Throughout the fight, St. Pierre successfully took Penn down and worked from inside the Jiu Jitsu world champion’s guard. Penn attempted to use a “high guard” where his legs would wrap high around the shoulders and head of St. Pierre in order to prevent him from posturing up and giving him space to strike or pass the guard.

St. Pierre was able to routinely slip past Penn’s grasp, land strikes and pass the guard, eventually bringing a stop to the bout after the fourth round. “His legs slid right off because of the grease on his head and back,” Valentino says. “I’m not trying to make excuses for BJ’s loss…he took a lot of hits and St. Pierre was the better man that night but the extra cheating is bad for the sport.”

There has not been a response from the NSAC or the GSP camp since the allegations began, however, GSP was asked about what exactly happened by ESPN's MMA Live and brushed it off as a mis-understanding:

So the commission saw this happening, twice, Dana saw it happen, twice, and nothing was done about it. I'm not saying the fight outcome would be any different but with that guard and no vasoline on his back.....

That's just fucked up, I would expect better out of the people in GSP's corner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 AM 

Wow. That's just insane. It does go pretty far toward explaining how GSP was able to get past Penn's guard so easily, and how he was able to posture up with no problem.

I'm really disappointed. There's no excuse for this and it really taints the whole fight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:36 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:
Between rounds one and two, there was some commotion in the St-Pierre corner as a member of the Nevada State Athletic Commission reprimanded one of the champion's cornermen for allegedly wiping vaseline on the back of St-Pierre, a rules violation that was quickly addressed as the fighter was toweled down before the bell rang.

Source.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:48 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Even without Vaseline, this fight would have had the same outcome. Penn's guard simply cannot stand up to GSP's strength and tenacity. Those two aren't near being in the same class. It makes me smile to know that Penn threw in the towel after talking all that smack about wanting to kill GSP. I wanted to see GSP KO Penn, but I'll settle for a lengthy beat down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:47 PM 

Penn didn't throw in the towel. His corner ended it, he didn't have a say at that point (I honestly don't think he understood anything going on around him).

And I wouldn't call UFC's website a credible source after Dana White just handwaved the matter. Dude did everything but say "who gives a shit?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 AM 

According to Yahoo sports, this wasn't caught until after the second round. By that point Penn had already taken a huge beating. Penn was obviously unable to keep his guard. GSP was posturing up at will, essentially, and just laying waste to him. That was happening in Round 2. Anyone that says this didn't affect the fight's outcome is fucking high.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_ex ... mma,138156

Quote:
"The Commission" was actually NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. He bolted into the cage when he saw Nurse doing the same thing between the second and third rounds. Cage Writer spoke with Kizer after the fight and he was still steaming, saying that the rubbing of the back with Vaseline was completely inappropriate. But he was unsure if it had been done between the first and second.

Kizer may not have been sure, but the cameras don't lie. It certainly was done between the first and second. And there's no real way of knowing if it was done before the fight as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

My problem is Dana brushing it off he says he saw it happen, he admitted it at the press conference. It should have been stopped asap, and if you don't think Vaseline is going to change that high guard not failing you're wrong.

This needs to be ruled a no contest and the fight happen again

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I was being figurative, Tyral. Naturally, Penn would not be in possession of a towel to throw...derrr.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:07 PM 

Frogggystyle wrote:
I was being figurative, Tyral. Naturally, Penn would not be in possession of a towel to throw...derrr.

Sorry, I got the impression you meant Penn had quit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

He just might, an interview held yesterday has him saying it was suppose to be his last fight, and now he doesn't know what he's going to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:08 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This needs to be ruled a no contest and the fight happen again

Sure, go for it.

Maybe Penn will actually show up for the fight the second time. He sure didn't show up for the first.

Offline Profile