All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
OU's defense played better than they have all year and they still had many missed tackles. OU's offense was rattled by the Florida defense (That hit in the first drive was amazing!).

My final rankings:
1 - Florida
2 - USC
3 - Utah

Of those "powerful offenses" from the Big XII South (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech), only Texas wins their bowl game due to a badly missed tackle in the closing seconds of the game vs a Ohio State team that Texas should have blown out. Tech loses to Huston Nutt and Ole Miss. Oklahoma State loses to Oregon and Missouri has to beat Northwestern in overtime. Now do you believe me when I say the Big XII was over-hyped due to nearly all the teams playing the spread offense and none of them have a good defense?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 AM 

I thought OU started on the wrong foot before a down was played. Taking the ball to start the game instead of deferring to the second half, when you might need the ball, seemed totally cocky. Major Wright's hit on that receiver set the tone.

OU also blew it with all of the plays where they were about to snap the ball and then looked at the sideline for another 15 seconds. I kept thinking that must have been a gimmick to try to confuse the defense, but it didn't work.

I thought Nic Harris' trying to rough Harvin after the big run was pretty shitty. And the OL guy getting two back to back penalties cost them more than 50 yards on one drive. Really, it's either the long delay between games or bad coaching, or both.

the best part of the game for me was when Bradford got picked on his in the 4th. He was absolutely shocked. Did you see his eyes? You could tell the game was over at that point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
no joxur, probably 75-80% of all college football teams do that sideline look now. Basically,a play is called, then offense sets, coaches in the press box quick check the defense, and then offense looks to the sideline, and either get the go ahead for the play called, or they get a play call change.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
During the season OU would call a play, get to the line and run it they were much more in sync and had the defense on their heels. You saw this on OU's first TD drive they were bang, bang, bang, TD. They didn't look back they didn't give Florida's D a chance to get set they were setting the tone. When they all stood up and looked back to get the call they gave Florida a chance to set what they wanted to do and then the Gators did it.

I really dislike that trend of everyone looking to the sidelines to get their calls. I know Tebow and the Florida wide outs would look to the sidelines for late signals and Tebow would relay it to the line. The whole process is herky-jerky and really cuts into the flow (I really hated the quad screen Fox would use when OU was looking for signals -- I don't care about the guy in the booth or the three guys on the sidelines!). Why can't they teach their QB to read defensive sets to make audibles and someone on the line, usually the center, to make the blocking calls. If they get to the next level they will have to do it. I think those coaches are really holding back their players by having them rely on the sidelines to get so many calls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 AM 

Florida was practicing against two scout teams to get ready for the no huddle. They would have team1 run a play and sprint off the field while team2 comes in and immediately runs the next play.

Charlie Strong needs to be a head coach somewhere. Much as I would hate to lose him.

Offline Profile