Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
This is pretty great.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Nike Commercial
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:33 AM 
Bridge Dweller

we often forget our roots, and often times the purity of the sport is overlooked.

those are all famous plays done by "big name" players in the nba, but on a < nba level, yah? i understand the root meaning.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

pretty sure they were all Jordan's plays

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

They were.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:59 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Any NBA fan with half a brain knows that those were all Jordan moments. Then again, we are talking about skycrasher (who believes that these are famous plays by "big time" players- note the plural of player(s)... so that half a brain really does apply.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
nothing pure about NBA ball, its the downy clown bus of basketball

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:28 AM 
I am a Spaceman

I like how it tries to downplay the shove on the bowl cut Bryon Russel stand-in. Every time I see that Jordan highlight it pisses me off. He's Michael Jordan, he could have made that shot even with a defender in his face, but he pushes off on the guy and the refs don't call it. And it's directly after a game where the refs screwed up two easy shot-clock/game clock calls that cost the Jazz the game. Frickin ridiculous the nba ref pisses me off so much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:47 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

If you're a Jazz fan, then you have no room to talk about unjust foul calls (or non-calls). Nobody in the history of the league flopped more than Hornacek, Stockton, or Malone. Fuck Utah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:56 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Plenty of people have flopped as often as the Stockton/Malone era Jazz. The two best teams of the current decade, the Lakers and Spurs, have both had prolific floppers. And even the Jazz were usually near even or at a deficit for free throw attempts. In the 1998 finals that I was talking about, the Bulls went to line 148 times compared to 112 for the Jazz.

It's pretty stupid to jump on the bandwagon and dismiss the Jazz because they flopped sometimes. It's also stupid to say that they shouldn't get blatantly obvious fouls called in their favor because they flopped sometimes. And even ignoring the foul at the end of game 6, the refs completely fucked up and gave the Bulls 5 free points earlier in the game because of two extremely bad shot clock calls.

On top of it all, the officiating has never gotten better since then. The NBA easily has the worst officiating of any major sport, and it is really annoying that the front office never does anything about it. Refs who routinely make terrible calls are never held accountable for their performance. There's no other job in the world where you can fuck up day in and day out and never have to answer for your mistakes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:57 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Jordan is the greatest. You are correct.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:12 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I barely watch the NBA anymore, but that commercial definitely brought back memories of when I did, and I was a Bulls fan.

Today, I can only name a handful of NBA players. Even so, and even if they had not done the tongue or put his number on the back of some of the kids' jerseys, I instantly recognized every single one of those camera shots as Jordan's. I think that says something special about Michael, and it made me want to love the NBA again.

Great commercial. Hell, I almost teared up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:39 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Heh, I hated Jordan when he played. I'm a diehard Detroit fan, for any of the sports we have a team for. The only player I hated more was Larry Bird.

That being said, Michael Jordan was the best thing that ever happened to basketball. Greatest player ever, still.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:57 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

They need a mashup video with that commercial and the real videos.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Semi off the subject, but it is awfully hard for me to root for Iverson in a Pistons jersey, considering he is one of the very few players I cannot stand and dislike. Respect his game, know he is a great player... but geez. Just glad he is one and done with the Pistons.

Back on subject- Jordan is the greatest basketball player I will ever see in my lifetime. I just wish he would not have come back and left after the Utah shot. Although it seems like most people have already forgotten the whole Wizard crap and his legacy ends with that shot over Russell.

And like Zatronn, being a Detroit guy I also hated Jordan. But only cause he would dominate our team for all those years, even with the "Jordan Rules" in place. Then again, I think Isiah Thomas is one of the most overrated players ever, and I could not stand him at all- which is almost sacriligeous to say in Detroit. Loved Dumars, Mahorn, Salley, Laimbeer, Johnson, Dantley, everyone else... except Thomas. Even George Blaha I was a fan of, someone probably only Zatronn would know who he was :)

Chuck Nevitt FTW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:22 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Quote:
Plenty of people have flopped as often as the Stockton/Malone era Jazz. The two best teams of the current decade, the Lakers and Spurs, have both had prolific floppers. And even the Jazz were usually near even or at a deficit for free throw attempts. In the 1998 finals that I was talking about, the Bulls went to line 148 times compared to 112 for the Jazz.

If I recall correctly, didn't Malone lead the league in FT attempts back in the day?

Offline Profile