It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iverson to the Pistons
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931

Quite an interesting shake up by my buddy Joe D!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:14 PM 
Bridge Dweller

They were both good teams last year imo, Nuggets caught a tough break and I don't know how this trade helps them. I guess it does in some areas but I haven't thought enough about it yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Detroit gets a player who not only can take the last shot in a game, but is looked at as that individual. With Billups/Hamilton/Wallace/Prince... it was always a toss up to see who would take the last shot. And sometimes that is a blessing, and a curse- players are looking at each other to take the shot instead of taking it themselves. Iverson gives them a legitimate go to guy, and a legitimate scorer. He is definitely shoot first, which is something that Detroit has not had in a long long time.

I am obviously hoping that this is like a KG/Allen situation last year- star player wants/desires a ring, past his prime (although it can be debated that KG is still in his prime, but he is definitely getting closer to the end than the beginning), can still put up solid good numbers and bring a high level of play, and needs a change of scenery to refresh/rejuvenate the desire and effort. If the results for Detroit are what Boston got last year, then I am estatic :D

I like the trade also because it is obvious that Stuckey is ready to be a starter, so one year of Iverson means next year Stuckey is the man in Detroit. Moving McDyess also makes room for more time for Maxiell, although I am hearing rumors/reports that McDyess might come back to Detroit in 30 days (the Brent Barry scenario, presuming that McDyess is waived and bought out which all intensive purposes say it is going to happen).

Detroit needed a go to guy scorer, and they got one. And to be honest, I like the trade for Denver too- they have more than enough shooters/scorers, but they don't have anyone to facilitate and set up the shooters. Billups is a pass first/shoot second player, whereas Iverson is a shoot first/pass second player. I think the trade helps both teams, and makes both teams better.

Offline Profile