It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:02 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

And Detroit has officially thrown in the towel this season!

I am sad, but a quote from one of the Yahoo fantasy guys made me laugh.

Quote:
Calvin Johnson is left to fend for himself on the outside; opponents will now mark him with a corner, two safeties, a short fielder and the occasional cheerleader on any passing down.

Ahh well, there's always next year, right? /sigh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:24 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Detroit was losing Roy after the season anyways. And they get a first, third, and sixth round pick. I call that a win for them.

And I would venture to say that the towel was thrown in when they placed on Kitna on IR. I know, Kitna is not the best QB in the game... but he gives them (when healthy) a far better chance to win than either Orlovsky or Stanton. Of course, Detroit has far more issues than their QB, I just hope they don't go winless.

Calvin is still talented enough to get some catches and some touchdowns, hopefully. Of course, I own him in both fantasy leagues so I have to remain optimistic :)

A better discussion is when Owens is going to be let go by the Cowboys. Lots of rumors out there, I think there is a good chance he could be gone next off season at the earliest... or maybe after next year if the Cowboys don't win the Super Bowl next year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
This was a great move by the Lions. Everyone teases them about wasting their 1st round picks on wide outs, but they finally did something smart. Now the Cowboy first rounder won't be as valuable as the Lions one, but getting a 3rd and 6th rounder on top of that makes up for it. This team has a lot of holes and there is nothing better than draft picks when a team is this bad.

Really, the Lions are so bad it's not fair to say they are throwing in the towel now, they never had a chance to begin with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
the Lions are in reboot mode (again/still?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

krby71 wrote:
the Lions are in reboot mode (again/still?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:17 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Yeah they are in rebuilding mode. However-

Next year they have 5 of the first 100 picks. That will hopefully fill some glaring holes in places, and at least put them in position to be far more successful in a couple years. They do have a stud WR and a RB that potentially can be a solid 1000 yard rusher for 3-5 years. I am not sold on Stanton, and they probably need to grab an above average QB that can develop in 12-18 months.

Shore up some defensive woes, get some offensive lineman, get another standout draft in 2010 and they may be thinking .500 or playoffs in 2010 season. Hopefully...

Getting rid of Matt Millen is the best move this franchise has done in years. Now we just need a fantastic draft next year, followed by a great one the year after, and Lions fans can think playoffs.

Offline Profile