Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Who would you start:

Tony Romo vs Cincy
Philip Rivers vs Miami

Romo had lotsa pts in a loss last week
Rivers had only a few points in a win last week

Cincy has been horrible
Miami beat the hell out of New England...

Romo has Witten and TO to throw to
Rivers has Chambers, Gates, Jackson to throw to

hlep me im stumped

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 PM 
I am a Spaceman

The only time you shouldn't start Romo is his by week. Don't over-manage. Don't sit your star players.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Romo. Especially after the performance last weekend, I expect them to run up the score on a hapless Bengal defense to show the nation that they are still the dominant team in the NFC (whether they are or not remains to be seen).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Droma wrote:
The only time you shouldn't start Romo is his by week. Don't over-manage. Don't sit your star players.

/QFT

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Passer Ratings:
Romo 103.6
Rivers 123.1

Fantasy Pts over 4 games:
Romo 68
Rivers 77

Wish I could see it as cut and dry as you folks, but I'll start Romo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 AM 

ok, get analytical. Cincinnati has been allowing more points per game, more yards per game, recording fewer sacks, and have caused fewer turn-overs. Miami's offense has been doing a much better job at controlling the Time of Possession (better than 2:00 per game than Cincy). Miami is playing for a coaching staff they still believe in. Cincinnati players in general are playing for themselves as they know this is their coach's last year.

Miami 2008 is not Miami 2007. They are a much better team this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:05 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Rivers is a 20-25 attempt per game guy on a team that relies on it's running game to win games. Romo is a 30+ attempts per game guy on a team that relies on it's passing game to win games. Romo is a much more talented player.

It is not very likely that Rivers keeps throwing 3 TD games throughout the rest of the season. You can't judge a fantasy player on small sample sizes and fluke performances. Rather than spend the entire season with them both on your roster, you should look at offering them up in a trade. You would be able to get a lot back in return for either of them, especially if you target someone who has had problems with QB injuries or who really needs a win while their starting QB is on a bye week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:09 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Thought about trading one or the other, but its a scary thought as to who I would start on either's bye week if I got rid of one. The pickings are so slim, Billy Volek's siamese twin sisters are #1 on the QB waiver wire...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:01 PM 
I am a Spaceman

The trade would ideally have a QB involved from the other team, though one of lesser talent who would only start on your bye week. If you can get a strong WR/RB in return, the one week dip in QB contribution during the bye week will be made up for the increase in stats over the rest of the season. It also shouldn't be hard to get someone like Matt Ryan/Trent Edwards, who have good matchups during your QBs' by weeks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Championships are not won by winning your starting QB's bye week. It is won by who you are fielding as starters in weeks 14-17. One thing I have learned, especially if I am doing very well in a league, is that I can afford a loss with my starting QB on his bye in certain leagues. Whether I am 11-2 or 10-3 is not that relevant to myself, considering I am pretty much making the playoffs either way.

So if you can trade Rivers and get some high value for him (especially if you have serious needs), then it might be worth doing. Again I don't know how well you are doing, what kind of team you have, so on and so forth. But if you make the playoffs and you are in your first round playoff game... you cannot start both Rivers and Romo. And sure, you can choose one based off of favorable matchups; however, you could just go with Romo all the way and upgrade other areas.

It is a roll of the dice. What I do know is that in our Lanys league (outside of last year when I was not at the draft) I have finished top 2-3 the first three years... led the league in points (or top 2) every year... and lost my first round game each year. Bad matchups, not pulling the trade and getting value at a weak position, career game by opponent, whatever... bottom line is, I had a fantastic team throughout the year only to blow it in the playoffs. So I am trying to position my team so that my starting line up in week 14 is going to be a solid one to hopefully propel me through the rest of the playoffs.

I would still start Romo this weekend. Especially after what happened to Dallas last week, I am sure Romo wants to shut up a lot of critics with a great game... and he has an awful defense to do it against.

EDIT- Went through the history of our league. This is our fourth year, the first two years I was in first place during regular season and #1 overall in points scored in regular season both years. Both years lost in the first round of the playoffs. So my suggestion is to prepare a team for week 14, not Romo's bye week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 AM 
I am a Spaceman

I'm not sure if it needs to be said, but Cicely is completely wrong here. At this point in the season, there is absolutely no way you can predict which matchups are going to be favorable in the playoffs or even if you're going to make it into the playoffs. If you make a trade, it needs to be for the best player available for the entire remainder of the season.

And I'm getting tired of Cicely constantly bragging about losing in the Lanys Leagues. First in wins or points in the regular season mean jack shit if you can't beat an 8 seed team. Getting lucky with the first pick and drafting LdT isn't a sign of fantasy skill. Having Jason Hanson on your roster every year and drafting two tight ends definitely isn't a sign of fantasy skill. It's fucking retarded to be proud of never making it past the first round of the playoffs. Last year a team that was unmanaged over the last 8 weeks of the season beat Cicely to a playoff spot, but of course that means nothing because he drafted LdT in 2005 and scored 9 more points during the regular season than his next closest competitior.

By the way, Cicely, your first round draft pick plays against PIT, NYG, and BAL in the playoffs. PIT, NYG, and BAL give up around 78 yards per game and the three teams combined have only given up 3 rushing TDs on the season. Going by your logic you should trade him for Ronnie Brown, who gets BUF, SFO, and KC in the playoffs, who have all given up over 100 yards and 1 td per game. Now all you have to do is say the word and I'll trade you Ronnie Brown for Marion Barber straight up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:02 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I think it's safe to say that nobody takes anything that Cicely says about sports and fantasy football to heart. He may have a point on a few things, but when he asks if he should start Antonio Gates or Cap Boso every week, it's obvious that he's not the sharpest ball in the Fantasy sports funbag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:48 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Because I am smarter than Droma, I will present facts (not opinions) to the reader.

2005- picked 3rd overall out of 20 teams. Yes, very lucky to get LT. Also drafted Palmer in the 4th round (78th overall) who proceeded in his first year of playing to be a top 3 fantasy QB. However I had no second RB which killed me all year, so much so that I needed to trade a top WR (Wayne) for Lewis... who then proceeded to do nothing. Bad luck. I was favored against Binkee by like 16 points, LT and Palmer had awful games, and I ended up losing by 1.2 points or something ridiculous like that.

2006- picked 12th overall out of 14 teams. Woah! And I picked "Cadillac" in the first round, which was a bust. And yet, somehow with my inferior fantasy football abilities... I managed to have the most wins (again) and the most points (again) in the regular season. And the guy who beat me in the first round... two weeks prior, I beat him 109-36. He got lucky in the playoffs, it happens... bad luck again. I guess drafting Rivers in the 9th round as a rookie paid off dividends as he was a top flight QB while allowing me to get some other talented players in other positions. And grabbing Colston before week 1 also paid off huge... but yeah, a stupid fantasy football owner would not have known about Colston!

2007- drafted 13th overall out of 16 teams. Was not there for the draft, my team sucked. My top 2 RB (Jones and Henry) combined for 1 touchdown. Yes you read that... 1 TD. And in a 16 team league that plays 2 RB per week, you really don't have a hell of a lot of options via waiver wire to actually get someone of minor talent. Of course Droma thinks that there is a Marshawn Lynch or Julius Jones available in a 16 deep team league off of waivers, because he is obviously way smarter than me. Was a lost season, especially when your top two RB combine for 1 TD. If they both get 5 TD, maybe I go from 5-8 to 6-7. Big deal, still not playoff bound.

2008- drafted 3rd overall out of 14 teams. Wouldn't you know... even after 4 games and still early, leading in points and tied for 3rd place. My team is solid, my draft strategy is working out, and I am favored in pretty much the majority of games I play in. Of course I don't know Droma's team, but I am sure he is leading the league in wins or points just like every other year. Oops...

Bottom line? I think I know just a smidgen more about football than Droma. So yeah if you want to attack me, I hope you can back up your idiotic remarks with some facts. Because to me, the facts show that I am doing something right in this league (outside of the one draft I did not attend). I draft well, I make good moves (for the most part) throughout the season, and I am in contention at the end. All it takes is a lucky break (or a bad break) for a team to beat me, which is what has happened in the past.

Oh BTW you called me out on having Jason Hanson as my K. Well I am a Lions fan so I am going to have at least one Lion on the team. And if you think that the K is going to make or break the difference in a win... well, I guess that says all that you know about fantasy football. As a matter of fact... in 2006, Hanson was #4 among K in fantasy points... and in 2007, Hanson was #6 among K in fantasy points. Looks like top 10 to me! Although this year he is projected #18 overall, which is 2.4 points lower than the #1 kicker per game. Bummer! I guess I suck at fantasy football, all hail Droma!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

If you know so much about Fantasy Football, why do you ask such stupid fucking questions about who to start all the time? Why would you care what we have to say when you are so great and all-powerful?

ps: Regular-season win/loss records don't mean shit. Win a league or shut your mouth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:08 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

(I was going to say put up or shut up, but that has been taken) :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:08 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

In fairness to Droma, the only actual impressive season out of those is the second, where you got a couple of savvy moves in(Colston saved your season iirc).

No one expects anyone who drafts in the top 5 in a 14 team league to miss the playoffs. It's almost a given.

Not that I'm saying you're stupid. You follow sports pretty closely and your fantasy teams usually do alright. It's just that you do tend to go on a bit about your Lanys teams that haven't exactly exceeded expectations. We're all here for fun, but no one else reminds everyone every year that they won the "regular season" the first time they played.

It's not a fair game or a fair system. The draft isn't really fair, the scheduling is rarely fair, the scoring is arbitrary and often results in better teams being ranked far lower than they should be, and weak teams making the playoffs. Playoff systems are silly, but it's just another facet of the rules. You take them all into account because that's how the game is played.

All that being said, brag when you win the game. Not when you win part of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

My apologies, Zatronn, if I was bragging. This has been an extremely difficult week personally, so I might have went off in a previous post... not that that is any sort of reason or excuse to do so, because it is not.

My whole point was that you don't win a championship because of what happens during one week of your QB's bye week. Which I believe someone was saying they did not want to make a trade of their back up QB solely for that one week game. The point was that if you can get great value for your back up QB to greatly improve a position, then go for it. Unless your league starts 2 QB, then you will have one QB that is just sitting there doing nothing for your team.

I guess I just take some exception to people who want to challenge my sports intellect. I am not the smartest one out there, none of us are. But some of the posters here make such idiotic and ludicrous (sp) remarks and comments that eventually someone (especially with family deaths, family serious illnesses, arrests/convictions, job loss, etc etc) just snaps and goes off. I am portrayed as a moron, when I am far from it.

I am done with the thread. I am sure there will be some posters who will make some more deragatory comments, it always happens with me. But to be honest, I have far more serious things that I am dealing with right now than whether or not someone thinks I know sports or not on a game message board. Sorry for any bragging that I did in this thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:44 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
And thank you for letting us all know about your irl dramaz.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:37 PM 
I am a Spaceman

You don't have to post anymore, but I'm still offering you the steal of Ronnie Brown for Marion Barber. Look at their playoff matchups, it's an incredible difference. You'd be stupid not to take the deal. You have already guaranteed yourself a 1st place finish and 1st in scoring, now you just need Ronnie Brown to win the playoffs for you. Why not follow the advice you gave in this thread and make the trade?

Quote:
my suggestion is to prepare a team for week 14

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 PM 
I am a Spaceman

P.S. the last time he played, Ronnie scored 42 points. WOW! That's a lot of points. Clearly you need this stud from Miami if you want to make sure you win the overall scoring title again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Leave him alone! The water main broke in his Costco. :(

[obligatory Cicely's job sucks post]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 AM 

However bad Romo looked in the 3rd qtr (and regardless of the stupid plays he made) the final numbers for this weekend for the Romo/Rivers question:

Romo - 176 yds, 3 TD, 1 int, 7 yds rush, 1 fum = 21.74 pts
Rivers - 159 yds, 1 TD = 12.36

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

weird...will probably lose the game I have Romo starting, and win the game I have Rivers starting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:41 PM 
Bridge Dweller

That's what you get for turnin your back on him. That hurt him mang.

Offline Profile