It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:35 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
In my other league I am 0-2. First game I lost by 0.7 points... second game I scored 138 points and lost by 17. Ten team league, same scoring as our league. I know, 138 points and I lost by that much... talk about career games by my opponent.

So I don't want to go 0-3, but the thing is I really don't know who to play this weekend. So here is the scoop-

2 RB
2 WR
1 WR/RB

Here are the participants-

RB Marion Barber @ GB
RB Marshawn Lynch vs Oak
RB Darren McFadden @ Buf
RB Darren Sproles vs NYJ
WR Calvin Johnson @ SF
WR Anthony Gonzalez vs Jax
WR Dwayne Bowe @ Atl
WR DeSean Jackson vs Pit

So.... I need 5 of the above. Looking at matchups and flex and stuff, who would you play and why? Any advice I appreciate. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Derfael - current on Tunare
WoW: Ska - Oryx (Lightbringer)
I say ugh to your choices, some tough match ups and not a lot of strength at WR. With the exception of GB, your RBs go against teams that are in the upper half of the league in rushing defense.

With that said I'd go Barber, Lynch, and Johnson for sure. For your second WR choice, KC is a disaster on offense right now playing their 3rd string QB last week and would stay away from any Chief. Until Indy's O-line gets health things will be a struggle, plus it is always a struggle when they play Jax. I'd probably go with Jackson over Gonzalez, but I would watch to see if any of Philly's injured receivers get healthy. If they do his numbers could drop. For your flex I'd choose Sproles but I'd watch to see what LT's health is like at game time. I don't like the Raider's against Buf defense on top of having to travel to east coast. But if LT is healthy McFadden might see more touches than Sproles.

You've got to start studs (high draft picks) every week but winning in FF is mostly about weekly individual match ups. If you have two comparible scores go with the one that has the better match up. Also, work the FA wavier wire hard. Often times there is a player who could be servicable because of their match up that week. I made the playoffs last year after like an 1-5 start by finding FA players to rebuild my roster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:27 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
RB Marion Barber @ GB
RB Marshawn Lynch vs Oak
RB Darren McFadden @ Buf
WR Calvin Johnson @ SF
WR Dwayne Bowe @ Atl

Seems like an easy decision to me. I'm still not sold on Jackson's durability. Otherwise, I'd consider starting him over Bowe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:22 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

i wouldnt start a chief if thats all i had...you could probably lose points just for considering it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

A Chief against Atlanta suddenly isn't just "a Chief" any longer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:47 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
You are right Derfeld, fantasy football is often about matchups over the weekend. Which is why I listed my options, and who they were playing against. And if you think I am going to drop Calvin Johnson for a San Fran WR just because they are playing the Lions this weekend... ha ha ha. Believe me I look at the waiver wire, but seriously- who would you drop of the above bunch for Bryant Johnson for essentially a one week play?

And not to be critical, but I find it funny that Calvin and Gonzalez last week had fantastic games. Calvin got me around 23 points or so, and Gonzalez got me 13. Even Bowe last week got 9 or so. And if DeSean does not drop the ball on the 1, he is getting close to 17 last week. So I fail to see how I have a poor WR corps with no strength. I guess in every 10 team league every team is able to go out and field Moss and Owens /shrug :P

Seriously though, thanks all for the advice and keep them coming. It is a tough choice because to me, they are all talented players... and yet you can make a case for each one not to play them. And even someone like Barber who would be an insta-start on most weekends... against Green Bay's defense? On the road? It is a tough choice...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:05 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Barber is the only "sure thing" you listed. Teams who over-coach and bench top 10 overall players because of matchups end up watching the playoffs rather than being in them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:46 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

i benched mcfadden in favor of julius jones...DMc got 20 pts and JJ got 19. I over-coached, even tho I won by 35 pts anyway.

Offline Profile