It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shaq to the Suns
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:19 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Here are the teams that they've played since the All Star break and their combined records (as of today).

Suns
Lakers L 44-18
Celtics W 48-12
Grizzlies L 15-46
Pistons W 45-17
Hornets L 42-19
76ers L 29-33
Trailblazers W 32-30
Nuggets L 37-24
Jazz L 41-22
333 – 221 = .601

Mavericks
Hornets L 42-19
Grizz W 15-46
T'Wolves W 13-48
Bulls W 25-37
Spurs L 43-18
Kings W 27-35
Lakers L 44-18
Jazz L 41-22
Rockets L 41-20
291 – 293 = .498

Rockets
Cavs W 35-27
Heat W 11-38
Hornets W 42-19
Bulls W 25-37
Wizards W 30-31
Grizzlies W 15-46
Nuggets W 37-24
Pacers W 24-38
Mavericks W 39-23
258 – 283 = .476

Spurs
Bobcats W 23-39
T'Wolves W 13-48
Hornets W 42-19
Hawks W 24-36
Mavs W 39-23
Bucks W23-39
Nets W 26-36
Nets W 36-36
Pacers W 24-38
Nuggets L 37-24
287 – 338 = .459

Lakers
Hawks W 24-36
Suns W 40-22
Clippers W 20-40
Sonics W 16-46
T'Blazers W 32-30
Heat W 11-48
T'Blazers L 32-30
Mavs W 39-23
Kings W 27-35
Clippers W 20-40
261 – 350 = .427

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:37 PM 
I am a Spaceman

You can't use schedules as an excuse, all the teams have to play 82 games to get to the playoffs. The Suns had a softer first half schedule and now they start playing a tougher stretch. It all evens out over 82 games. The Spurs and Hornets both have tougher schedules down the stretch than the Suns. They also play more of their games on the road.

The Suns were a lock for the playoffs before the trade, and now they are a good Denver run away from missing them. No team in the west can afford to give away games at home like the Suns did last night. Utah is terrible on the road, was down a starter in Kirilenko who plays better against the Suns than any other team in league, Boozer got into early foul trouble and couldn't contribute in the first half, and the Suns had a 9 point lead going into the fourth. With all that, Utah had no trouble taking over and putting the game away when it counted. Diaw and Hill made a couple blunders, and no one on the Suns could hit a shot. That's not the kind of basketball you need to be playing right now if you want to go somewhere in the playoffs.

I'd really like to see the Mavericks and the Suns play a seven game series against eachother to see who made the worst trade, but with the way they're both playing it seems unlikely that they'll meet in the playoffs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:35 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
D'Antoni and Kerr both stated when the trade was made that it would take 10 games for Shaq and the Suns to get acquainted with each other, learn to play with each other, and then be the dominant team that they believe the Suns to be.

Well, game #10 is tomorrow, home game against the Spurs. The Spurs, of course, have won 12 of their last 13. They are rounding into playoff form at the right time, playing their best basketball of the year. Assuming the Spurs win, that puts the Suns/Shaq experiment at 3-7. Home losses, of course, to Detroit, Philadelphia, Utah, San Antonio.

The irony of the entire trade is that they made the trade purposely to make them better in the playoffs... but in essence, it has made them such a poorer team that they won't make the playoffs. Heh. This is going towards becoming the worst mid-season trade in NBA history. To go from first place in your conference prior to the trade... to not making the playoffs at all?

Wow. Just utter wow.

Of course, if they fail to make the playoffs (or lose in the first round, which I think is going to happen)... then they can finally have a reason to fire D'Antoni and hire a guy that actually gives a damn about defense and practicing plays during practice. They can hire a guy that actually can coach during the game, instead of having his hands on his hips and yelling at the refs all the time. They can hire a guy that will actually play more than 2 guys off the bench for the regular season, thus saving his starters' energy for the playoffs and not running them tired. It will be a good day, and then maybe this new coach can get them to where they need to be at...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:36 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Huge win over the Spurs today. Some stats at a glance:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280309021

Great defensive game for the Suns, really shut down the Spurs and help them to 34% shooting. 16REB 14PTS for Shaq. What a showing! This guy really has a new breath of life in him. Watching him dive for balls and get so many blocks on Duncan is amazing.

Need to cut down on the turnovers, tighten up defense on the wings and the Suns will be pretty unstoppable. I'm not really worried about facing the Spurs in the playoffs anymore. Right now the worry is the Hornets. Yipes!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Desperate teams in desperate situations typically will rise to the challenge if they have just enough talent on their team to make a difference. The Suns, especially towards the end, knew they HAD to get this win... and they got it. Grats to them, if they lost then they would be 3-7 with Shaq and facing a mountain of scrutiny so large that it might be too much to overcome.

I wouldn't necessarily jump back on the Suns bandwagon just yet; after all, it was only 1 game. They are still giving up a lot of points with Shaq in the line up- IIRC of the 10 games, 8 have been well over 110 points or so. Only the Celtics and Spurs yesterday have been held to below 90. Having said that, it was good to see the Suns with the effort and energy for the entire game against a quality playoff team.. and if anything, they proved to everyone that they can win a game like this.

Let's see how they do the rest of this week. Long home stand, next three at least are in Phoenix. Two of those games are against poor teams, the third against a team fighting for the last playoff spot in the West. They go 1-2 or 0-3, then this Spurs win was a fluke. They should go 3-0, we shall see.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I'm not sure if they don't go 3-0 that it'd mean it was a fluke, but if they end up 2-1 or 3-0 I think that definitely means they're heading in the right direction.

Their problems aren't solved right now, but I think many people saw a glimmer of how we're able to handle the Duncans, Boozers, Yaos, etc. Who knows though. This next stretch (through the rest of March really) is really tough. Celtics, Pistons, Warriors, then Spurs and Dallas in early April.

I liked what I saw against the Spurs. I'm not worried so much about them anymore in a series. I worry about the Hornets though. I think the Suns biggest threat right now is the Hornets. I want to play Houston though to see how tough they are now. I know they've got a sick streak but it's just a matter of time before someone beats them. They won't go 40-0 the rest of the season.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Suns put a beat down on the Memphis Grizzlies (rightly so) and blew them out. Had a 40 point lead and 71 points in the first half. Good grief!

Let's see how they do tomorrow against the Warriors. I have a feeling it'll be a small-ball game with high-offense and little defense. Hopefully the Suns can lock up the Warriors like the Spurs or Pistons used to do to us in 04-05 / 05-06.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

It is obvious that I am not as big a Suns fan as my fellow Arizonian, and I am definitely not a Shaq fan at all. However, I will admit-

Last night, when he went after that loose ball and the entire bench parted like the Red Sea and he stopped right at the bench... I laughed big time at that. Still not a Shaq fan, but that was damn funny :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:50 AM 
Bridge Dweller

The Big Moses parted the Purple Sea

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Big game for the Suns tonight. The Warriors do what the Suns did so well a couple years ago. We're still right up there next to them in PPG and Fast Break Points but it'll be interesting to see how we match up to them now with Shaq. There's no doubt Shaq can run and ignite the fast break, and in addition to that, Boris can run and gun with the best of them...

So, having said that, the Suns have improved on the defensive end, and have stayed relatively the same on the offensive. I wonder what will hold, because we've been 0-3 since their blockbuster trade last season.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:02 AM 
Bridge Dweller

cicely wrote:
Let's see how they do the rest of this week. Long home stand, next three at least are in Phoenix. Two of those games are against poor teams, the third against a team fighting for the last playoff spot in the West. They go 1-2 or 0-3, then this Spurs win was a fluke. They should go 3-0, we shall see.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280313021

3-0. Nice!

This is all coming together, and not a moment too soon. Shaq was disabled last night w/ 5 fouls in the 3rd, and played only 14 minutes. Look at how many minutes our starters played in comparison to theirs as well. Awesome win!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:13 PM 
Bridge Dweller

So the Suns are rolling on a 6-game win streak, and it'll be 7 in a matter of hours after they beat Houston. I would say this trade definitely works and that they're a better team.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:23 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

So... anyone going to apologize to Skycrasher? :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Shaq was 8-10 shooting, 23pts. 13 rebounds. Amare had 35/11. That's beastly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:03 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
So... anyone going to apologize to Skycrasher? :p

Not yet! Heh, the Suns look pretty decent right now, but after how poorly they started out I'm not thinking a good run over 7 games is enough to warrant a "better team" proclamation. I'll be interested in seeing how they finish out the season, and whether they make it past the first round in the playoffs before I would sign on to this trade being a success. Really they need to make the finals or it's a bust, IMO. They would have made the playoffs either way, and putting your eggs in a short term basket like Shaq only tells your fans that you're going for broke now, and damn the consequences.

Personally, I don't see them doing it this year, which means a long term loss for a short term... sidegrade? Time will tell, but I'm still skeptical.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:51 PM 
Bridge Dweller

The Suns wouldn't have won the title with Marion anyways. It hasn't worked the past 3 years, so it was time to try something different. Now we have something we never have in the past -- a true center that is a dominant force.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings

Anyhow, with the news of Dirk Nowitzki being out indefinitely, this could be a very very bad time for Dallas. There has been no "elite" West team closer to missing the playoffs now than Dallas. (Which sucks, because I'm a Suns fan #1, but I like Dallas, kind-of. I was born there.)

I could see Denver winnin a few key games and seeing Dallas losing a couple more, and having Denver move up to #8 with the Warriors moving up to #7 or so... Dallas being out.

It's crazy how tight it is in the West, and you look at the East where teams with 30 wins are making the playoffs, teams with 43 wins in the West may not make it... It's likely there will be a 50 win team in the West not making the playoffs... (Denver, Dallas)

Anyhow, I can't believe there is only a 1/2 game difference between 3 teams for the #1 spot in the West. Heh. This year is INSANE and the playoffs are going to be great. 2 weeks can't come soon enough. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:57 PM 
Bridge Dweller

This Pistons game has been called like absolute shit. I dunno whos gonna win but man, if Pistons win they got some lucky ass breaks about 5 or 6 times, blatant fouls went uncalled, and D'Antoni was throwing a fit but they didn't even T him up cuz they knew they weren't making the right calls.

Refs are bitches sometimes. I'm not bitter but man they really blew some calls. We'll see how it turns out. 96-96 Pistons have the ball, 23.4 seconds left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:58 PM 
Bridge Dweller

fuck yeah over time. good thing man. phew.

wow, blown the charging call on billups, nash was totally in place. then a shitty push-off foul on shaq. the refs DO NOT want the suns to win. sigh. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
The Suns wouldn't have won the title with Marion anyways. It hasn't worked the past 3 years, so it was time to try something different.

Heh, that was kind of my point. They would have gotten to the playoffs and lost partway in again if they hadn't made the trade. That's why I see this trade as kind of a bust if they don't at LEAST make the finals. They could have gotten that for nothing. Such an obviously short term trade with such high expectations is what seems so risky to me. Makes for a good playoff time news story to follow though, I'll give them that.

The Dallas news is sad, but hey... if the Rockets can win 20 without their star, maybe the Mavs can win 10! heh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:09 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Zatronn1 wrote:
Quote:
The Suns wouldn't have won the title with Marion anyways. It hasn't worked the past 3 years, so it was time to try something different.

Heh, that was kind of my point. They would have gotten to the playoffs and lost partway in again if they hadn't made the trade. That's why I see this trade as kind of a bust if they don't at LEAST make the finals. They could have gotten that for nothing. Such an obviously short term trade with such high expectations is what seems so risky to me. Makes for a good playoff time news story to follow though, I'll give them that.

The Dallas news is sad, but hey... if the Rockets can win 20 without their star, maybe the Mavs can win 10! heh

It would be considered a bust if we didn't make it past the 2nd round. Which is where we exited last year. They haven't made it to the finals yet, and haven't been to the WCF in 2 years, so I fail to see how if they don't win it all this year makes it a failed trade. We've got "the core" now for AT LEAST 2 years. There's more time, but it's definitely running short.

Anyhow, article about yesterdays blown officiating:

Quote:
After the game, Grant Hill was sitting in front of his locker with his right hand bandaged up with ice.

It's the hand that he previously sprained and the pain has lingered to some degree, especially when he falls and braces himself. In Monday's game, he aggravated it taking a charge. It was a good one too, getting in front of Rodney Stuckey in the second quarter to get the charge.

"So was Steve's," Hill said. "I think Steve's was better."

There were a bunch of calls the Suns were upset about after Monday's loss in Detroit. But the Nash blocking call on Chauncey Billups' overtime 3-point play and a no-call on Shaquille O'Neal's miss late in regulation were at the top of the list.

O'Neal's no-call was obviously blown. He was clearly hit across the face by Antonio McDyess, who even said he was trying to foul him, and Stuckey got O'Neal across his left arm simultaneously. But the reality is who knows if that gets Phoenix a point or two. O'Neal is a 50-50 proposition at the free throw line, even if he always makes the assertion that he makes them when they count. Heck, Hill even missed both free throws on a trip. So it's hard to say if that call would've changed the outcome, although O'Neal did end up committing a foul at the other end on Billups, allowing Detroit to tie the game with 1:31 to go.

The Nash call was more critical. The Suns saw many plenty of views and rewinds of the call for their assertion that Nash deserved a charging call on Billups on the play. At the least, he clearly was outside the circle. Whether he moved under Billups too late could be for some debate.

The game was probably over when the last debated call came up. Phoenix was down four when it decided to get a stop rather than foul. Billups missed a driving layup with and Amare Stoudemire had the rebound with about 15 seconds to go when Bell and McDyess got tangled up and went down. Instead of Phoenix going for a quick score and a foul, Bell was called for a loose ball foul that disqualified him.

"A loss like that, we were pretty PO'd," said Bell, who made sure to say something to the officials after the game before leaving the court. "We were pretty upset to lose like that."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Cry me a river.

The home team got some referee calls that went there way. OMG. That never happens!!1! Seriously... get over it. If the Suns are as great a team as the people in this city want them to believe, then the Suns should be good enough that they won't put themselves in a tie game situation at the end of the game so that a call like that *might* happen.

And as far as apologizing to our resident Suns fan... umm, no. Because when I break down and analyze this amazing win streak that they were on, I only see two victories against quality opponents-

San Antonio, which was a home game and a *must win* game for the Suns. If they lose that game, they go 3-7 with Shaq in the line up and will be destroyed Monday morning on local and national talk radio, and their fans would revolt against the whole Shaq trade.

Golden State, which again was a home game that they only won by 8.

And no, I don't count their victory over Houston to matter. Houston's 22 (or 23, forgot) win streak was a nice streak, but they have come back down to reality and are playing like a bottom seeded playoff team. No kudos there.

So 2 of the 7 wins were against quality. Big deal. Let's see how they do this week on their East Coast trip, when they have to play 3 of 4 playoff teams (one of which, Philly, is streaking big time). If they have a 3-1 record, then I will be impressed. But 2-2 or worse, and they will still look like an under .500 team against quality opposition.

I will say that they are playing a lot better now with Shaq than the first 9 games. So the improvement is there, and they are getting better acclimated with each other. Their "pre-season" in mid season is now over, so there can be no more talk of learning... there is action now.

I still think that Phoenix is a first round loser. This East Coast trip will say a lot about how well they do. One loss down, probably another one or two to go in my book...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Heh. Suns lost because of the calls, not because they didn't play well enough to win. Even Rasheed has been quoted saying the officiating sucks. Guess what Cicely? There are no "home" refs, they travel city to city, so it shouldn't matter who the home team is.

And keep in mind, we're talking blatant fouls. McDyess said he was in Hack-A-Shaq mode trying to foul and got away with it somehow...

Pure bullshit, officiating like that is what ruins the sport. The Suns deserved that Win but Detroit escaped with it somehow.

Anyhow, Suns have proven that they won't be a first round loser, especially if they play Houston or the Spurs. Detroit won't get past Boston so the point is moot anyways. It's funny how they're a game behind in the Western conference for the #1 seed and Spurs and Dallas are even further behind yet you think they're a first round exit. Ha.

The fact that you're discounting wins over any playoff seeded Western conference team is laughable, especially when everyone was damning them for losing to playoff seeded teams... Shows you know nothing about sports. "Only" won by 8? Look at their point differential (OR ANY TEAMS) and you'll see the margins of wins aren't high anyhow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:51 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

They HAD to win that game against San Antonio. That was a must win for them. They lose that, they go to 3-7 with Shaq in the line up and not only lose the game... but they lose credibility for the trade, they lose credibility for their abilities, they lose a ton of confidence that maybe the trade is not going to work out. At that time, San Antonio did not necessarily NEED to win the game- sure they would have liked to, but it was not a must win.

The Golden State win was at home. OK me saying the whole "only won by 8" was dumb on my part, I give you that. But you are supposed to win your home games, that is what good teams do. Everyone wants this Suns team to be the greatest team ever created, which means if they are then they should be winning by far more than 8 each game. And while they do that to crappy teams... everyone does that to crappy teams. So they are not this great championship caliber team that everyone wants them to be.

Bottom line is, I personally am not sold on the trade still. Yes, they are playing better which is good for them. Yes, Shaq is acclimating himself both offensively and defensively, which is good. And if anything, Stoudamire has moved to the PF position and is having some outstanding games. But individual performances usually only win you NCAA Tournament games (go Stephen Curry!), whereas team defense typically wins your NBA playoff games. And the Suns still have not shown me that they have any sort of defensive philosophy and talent. Yeah in the regular season they can score, and now with Shaq acclimated they are increasing their team PPG; however, what is going to happen defensively to them in the playoffs when the game grinds? How is Shaq's footwork going to be then?

And for you to make the comment that I know nothing about sports, after you (earlier in this thread) spoke highly about the return of Chris Mihm to the Lakers... that is hypocrisy at its best :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:07 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Cicely, you didn't have to respond, Skycrasher would have continued this one man conversation anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:24 PM 
Bridge Dweller

The Mighty Suns are facing adversity on this road trip. After a rigged game by the officials vs. the Pistons and Suns were blown out by the Celtics last night due to a bad 3rd quarter. =( Fuck. Suns in 6th seed vs. Lakers 3rd seed too right now, but they're only a game back in Pacific division. I think Suns will come out with 1st place in Pacific and end up around 3rd seed. We'll see. 11 more games.

Cicely, you're an idiot if you don't think having 3 7'0 centers is an advantage. 2 of them are out right now so they're a bit thinner but when they come back w/ all 3 they'll be super deep in that area. I never said he was an all-star, but he can create problems in the paint.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:54 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

The mere fact that you have just stated that "Chris Mihm can create problems in the paint" says all that needs to be said. I am done with this thread, as is the majority of the rest of the community. I cannot argue against someone who honestly believes that Chris Mihm is a threat, nor will I continue to waste my time debating this topic.

And if you think I am an idiot, why don't you go to any NBA message board and post the above quote that you are inferring. Then we will see who is the idiot. Then again, the Lanys community I believe has already voted on that one...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You're overstating the importance of what I said. Having big men is an asset for any team. I never meant to say Mihm was a good player but he would be the next in line after Bynum was out and since they didn't have him there I believe they were at a disadvantage, and would be tougher when they had a full non-injured lineup.

Twist it however you wish. =) I don't care if people don't post in this thread... obviously. I couldn't care less if it were just me soapboxing about the Suns and their pros and cons and how I feel about the games they play.

PS: How about that 3-way tie for the 7/8th seed? I have a feeling Dallas may not make it this year, but if the Suns can knock out the Nuggets today and tomorrow then Dallas may have a shot at staying alive if they can pull together some wins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:37 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Suns pulled out an amazing win tonight. They were down by 20 at the half.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280331021

3rd biggest comeback in the franchise history. God damn!

Despite the refs blowing some no-calls and making dubious calls and ignoring Steve Nash getting poked in the eye and hit on the neck, they pulled out a win and showed some champion spirit.

DEN (45-29) 39 31 22 25 117
PHO (50-24) 25 26 35 46 132

Dayum!! Can't wait for tomorrow!! Amare had an absolutely MONSTER night.

A. Stoudemire - 14rbs 41pts

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Any sports argument between cic and sky is incomplete without this quote from now on:

Quote:
Then we will see who is the idiot. Then again, the Lanys community I believe has already voted on that one...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Good game tonight. Suns didn't have some calls go their way, but as Cicely says I guess that's to be expected. Close finish, 120-126 Nuggets. Nuggets are now in the playoffs again. I still can't believe how incredibly tight the race is. I'm worried that the Suns if they entered the playoffs today would face the Lakers. I think they may have our number finally after 2 seasons of being knocked out of the first round.

Yowsa! Nash still had an amazing game though, 18 assists. Woah!

From a writeup:

Quote:
The Suns tied the game at 95 with 1:07 to go in the third quarter with a 10-0 run of a Giricek and Barbosa 3-pointers, a Barbosa fastbreak layup and a Skinner layup from O'Neal. It was a lineup D'Antoni never employs but was made necessary when a team already missing Hill lost Bell as well to a third-quarter ejection.

Bell picked up a double technical with Carmelo Anthony and then was called for a foul while playing post defense on Anthony on the ensuing play. Bell smiled, laughed and slapped hands with Barbosa but did not appear to say anything before official Kevin Fehr ejected him.

Is this Kevin Fehr a noob ref or something? Totally uncalled for ejection. LAME!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:06 AM 
I am a Spaceman

Every referee in the game is terrible. It's like the only job where there's no accountability for your performance. Make a ton of shitty calls? The NBA doesn't care and if any coach or player speaks up about it they get fined. It's the reason why flopping and all that underhanded crap is as prolific as it is, you can't count on the refs to make fair calls so you have to play them like it's just another part of the game.

Tim Duncan got ejected last year for laughing at calls while on the bench. The referee got suspended, but he's back in the league this year and is considered one of the best refs the league has. There's also the 2006 finals, the Sacremento/Lakers game 6 in 2002, and game 6 of the 1998 finals. And that's just the biggest stuff, tons of regular season games are decided by shitty calls that no referee ever gets called on. It makes it hard to take the NBA seriously at times.

Also, having a good offensive game against a team that doesn't play defense (Denver) isn't impressive. Yowsa! Look at Shaq's free throw line and you can see where the Suns lost the game. Do you really want him on the court during crunch time in the playoffs when he'll get sent to the line any time he touches the ball? The Suns are playing good basketball again, but not good enough to be serious contenders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Sky sounds like Mark Cuban with all his crying about the refs. Every game recap he posts includes "with some questionable calls by the refs"

Every homer is going to say that.

Is the officiating bad? Yeah, but it is bad all over not just for your Suns.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:28 PM 
Bridge Dweller

We're not talking ticky-tacky fouls here guys. We're talking Nash getting stabbed in the eye clear as day with a finger and being shoved out of bounds right in front of a ref.

You know why they call double technicals? Because they have no idea who did what, but somebody did somethin gosh durnit!

The officiating sucks I just see it from the perspective of the games I primarily watch. I think the Suns can make a really good case though that Steve Nash being one of the best players in the leagues and 2-time MVP gets the least respect and trust in terms of calls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:19 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Try watching more than just Suns games. It happens everywhere. The Rockets could make a case that Yao doesn't get the respect he deserves, either. Nash gets plenty of respect and plenty of "benefit of the doubt" calls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Kidd kinda shut down Nash yesterday and the lowly Mavs beat the Suns at Phx. This win gives the Mavs their first road win vs a Western Conference playoff team since the trades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Freak things happen, 9 points 4th Quarter. First time they did that all year. Hell, been a long time since I remember scoring that few points.

It likely won't happen again anytime soon. Suns had a steady lead throughout the entire game, but shot 3/19 in the 4th. It happens. /Shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

At least the refs weren't to blame. :snakeman:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 PM 
Bridge Dweller

The officiating wasn't anything spectacular, and there were of course a couple fouls here and there that were dubious at best, but like I said, there wasn't anything to raise an eyebrow about.

Sometimes you just get beat. You can't win every game, and the Suns clinched their playoff standing I just hope we don't have to open it up against the Lakers. =) Lakers are kickin' ass!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:08 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Suns put a fucking beat down on the Spurs tonight. First time they've won the season series in about 4 or 5 years... they're 3-1 this season against them but more importantly, 2-0 with Shaq.

Bruce Bowen played like a dirty cocksucker too. I hate him. >:(

The standings so far are insane:

1 x-New Orleans 55 23
2 x-San Antonio 53 25
3 x-LA Lakers 53 25
4 y-Utah 52 26
5 x-Houston 53 25
6 x-Phoenix 53 26
7 Dallas 49 29
8 Denver 47 31

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:30 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
How did the West get so much better than the East? Seems like just odds would mix it up better than it currently is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Who knows, but whoever makes it out of the West to the Finals may find themselves low on gas against the defensive titans that are the Celtics. I am almost positive Celtics will make it out of the East but you never know... lots of people were sure that Dallas was going to make it to the Finals last year.

Offline Profile