All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:38 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Personally, I think he should have been out of the game a lot sooner...

Quote:
LUBBOCK, Texas -- Bob Knight left when he wanted to this time.

Almost a decade after he was fired by Indiana, the school he led to three national championships, Knight walked away Monday from college basketball in midseason.

The Texas Tech coach, known as much for his brilliance as his fiery temper, abruptly resigned and handed over the team to his son.

"He's ready," successor and son Pat Knight said during his weekly radio show. "He's tired."

Rest Here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
I wonder why he did this midseason?

Interesting, maybe it's to get more attention? Hard to tell, it'll be big news here in Indiana any time of the year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:02 AM 

After listening to The Ticket (in DFW) they are implying that this might be health related. I don't follow Texas Tech basketball or Coach Knight so I really don't know. They were saying that he has lost a good amount of weight recently and has reported being very tired.

Now, the cynic in me sees him doing this mid-season to give his son the best opportunity to lead TT into the NCAA's and ensure his already stated succession.

However, I am not going to really bash on the guy for leaving like this if it really is health related.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Fuck Bobby Knight :angel9:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:02 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Supposedly, his son (Pat Knight) has told Andy Katz from espn.com that Bob wanted to resign once he broke Dean Smith's record and was talked out of it by Pat. He also goes on to say that Bob wanted to resign/quit/leave/retire about a month ago, but was again talked out of it by Pat to go after 900.

Sure, Bob probably wanted to wait until after the Super Bowl so that he can get attention for this. Obviously, if he did this last week, it would only be a footnote to many. Now that the game is over, he can have all the comments and attention to himself.

I wonder what Bob Knight would do (or how he would feel) if one of his players walked out halfway through the season because the team was going nowhere and probably will not be in the NCAA Tournament. He has always been a hypocrite, a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of person... so he probably would get angry and feel disappointed in the player. But he does it to his own team, and we are all ok with it. Heh.

I will say this about Bob Knight- you either are in love with the guy, love his coaching, love his wins, and are a fan of his... or you are of extreme hatred and criticism to him. There is no grey area, no middle ground with Bob Knight. You are either in, or you are out. A shame that for all the good that he has done for basketball and his stats, that most are going to remember all the bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:19 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
What good has he done for college basketball? He was a colorful, high-profile figure who was abusive to his players and to the media (and to people in general). College basketball is better off without him. I just hope he doesn't become an analyst and we get forced to watch him and his f'd up eyebrow(s) on a weekly basis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 PM 

To me it seemed as if Bob Knight was a Jekyll and Hyde type of person. From what I have learned, as a coach and a teacher of young men he was outstanding. He had them graduate from college. He taught them basketball fundamentals. He brought them discipline. Many of his former players have gone on to very successful careers (an exception might be made for Isiah Thomas)

However, when he was in public he could be an animal. His anger was legendary. He HATED the media. You put those two together and you had a very caustic situation with every explosion fully documented. I don't know if the anger and actions towards the media were all a show or just him having anger issues. It did keep him in the news more than many of his peers. If it was a show he was able to use it to deflect national attention away from his teams and onto him. I don't remember many of his outbursts happening when his teams were good, most of them when they were not so good or when they lost a ball game.

Whatever the case may be, I still don't regard him as great coach like Wooden, Dean Smith, Don Haskins, Henry Iba or Adolph Rupp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

He had that same anger towards his kids on his teams, too, and that's why I never really liked him.

Offline Profile