It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Bowl 42 thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:26 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Did not expect Eli and the Giants to come through. Thought some destiny would be on Favre's side, wanting to go out on top like Elway did. Was very very surprised.

They played a great game Week 18, and I think it gives the Giants a lot of confidence because they were so close to winning. Should hopefully be a good Super Bowl game, provided Eli does not get the nerves before the game and play poorly.

Patriots 31
Giants 21

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Super Bowl 42 thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:28 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'm just not that impressed with the Giants. I saw them making a lot of mistakes last night, and you don't win Super Bowls playing like that.

I really thought Green Bay should have won. Unfortunately they threw one interception that changed the outcome of the game.

Hopefully Favre is around one more year and can take his team to the Super Bowl.

Either way, the Pats will crush whoever they face there. :)

Patriots 42
Giants 17

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
For two weeks in a row the opponents have lost the game FOR the Giants. It's immaterial in any event as the NFL clearly wants the Patriots to go undefeated.

Brett waited until the last game of his season, but returned to last season's form and will more than likely retire. Which by the way, he deserves. He's more than prved himself to be ine of the top QB's to play the game, now go get some rest and maybe take Gumbel and/or Collinsworth's place(s) in the booth.

The real question is, who will suck more, the Giants or Tom Petty?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Pats are the team of destiny for sure. The Giants stood in the way of the Pat's perfect regular season and played them tough. I imagine they'll play them tough again as they stand in the way of their perfect season. Pats still win though, 35 to 24.

Anyone else notice how ho hum Brady was yesterday? It's like, I'm in the Super Bowl again, big fucking deal.

Last edited by SurcamStances on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
ezcode not so ez

ps: Patriots 78, Giants 11

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:46 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Kaedian wrote:
The real question is, who will suck more, the Giants or Tom Petty?

I'm looking forward to watching Tom Petty perform, probably more than the game now. Really wanted to see the Packers in it. NE wins by 17.

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 PM 
I am a Spaceman

New England 60 - New York 24

ahaha I can't wait for the commercials, this gonna be great. I love saying how I like to watch super bowl commercials.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:23 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
If the Giants play their best game and the Pats play their worst, the Pats will still win. This is the biggest superbowl mismatch we've had in years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:23 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Superbowl commercials are always retarded. :( I am not sure why people get such a big kick out of them. But, coming from Droma, it makes sense. Mr. Quirky ahoy! ehehehehehehe

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:43 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
You should probably look up the definition of "always."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 PM 
I am a Spaceman

xskycrasherx wrote:
Superbowl commercials are always retarded. :( I am not sure why people get such a big kick out of them. But, coming from Droma, it makes sense. Mr. Quirky ahoy! ehehehehehehe

cool, dude.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:39 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Pats in their first Super Bowl romp.

What was the final score when the Bears beat them waaay back in the 80's?

55-10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I am a pretty good looking dude, aren't I? :headbang:

Here's a more recent picture:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Nice drawing in that pic behind you. I am glad you like horses so much. Probably because horses are well known for crashing from the sky like a skycrasher.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:
Video reveals secret Brady injury
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2008 06:23AM ET
The Patriots' hopes for a fourth Super Bowl title in seven years and an unprecedented 19-0 season certainly hit a major speed bump yesterday, as Tom Brady was spotted wearing what appears to be a walking cast on his right foot. A video taken of Brady in New York yesterday, which is available on TMZ.com, shows the NFL's MVP returning to girlfriend Gisele Bundchen's apartment. He's dressed in dark glasses and a black hoodie with a coat over it, walking gingerly on the sidewalk after emerging from a black SUV parked on the street. The walking cast clearly is visible below the denim jeans he is wearing. He has a white sneaker on his other foot. The video has him carrying a bouquet of flowers, slowly moving up the steps to Bundchen's West Village apartment. "Ah, you know, there's always bumps and bruises. I'll be ready for the Super Bowl," Brady said, when asked point-blank if he had a leg injury. "I'm not worried about that. I'm not missing this one. I'd have to be on a stretcher to miss this one. There will be treatment this week. In games like this, you get a little nicked up. It's nothing serious."

Boston Herald article. Taking that into consideration and my own wishes for the cheater-boys to lose:

Giants 24; Patriots 10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Everyone treats bumps and bruises in between games. No worries on Tom's ability to play.

Patriots: 42, Giants: 17

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:46 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Pats: 80 Mini-Bears: 2

Er wait,

Pats: 27
Giants: 13

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I get all my sports information and reports from TMZ.com!!!

Seriously, I am quite sure that Tom Brady is going to play in the Super Bowl. He probably did it to spark some stories and attention. Probably so that ESPN would stop playing that stupid Brady Bunch/Tom Brady spoof that has been showing every 2 hours it seems on the network...

Which I am wondering, completely left field, if Tom Brady is going to be a politician in the future. Just seems like he has the public speaking and charisma to be one...

Brady in 2028!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:43 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
looks like you had one of those queer-guy make-overs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:47 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Anyone know whats going on with halftime this year?

I enjoyed Prince last year, was a good one. Hope this year is also good.
I also watch for the commercials- some suck, some are just golden.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Some guy on Sports 620 KTAR radio down here in Phoenix was on one of the sports talk shows the other night. He said he was part of the halftime show, and basically spilled the entire segment about halftime. Not sure if there is any consequences, since he is just an extra and only gave his first name, but...

Tom Petty is the halftime show. He is doing about 4 songs or so, leading off with American Girl. And according to this extra, during one of the songs with the word "Free" in it, there is a huge flashlight performance by everyone in (a) halftime show, or (b) entire stadium. Not sure how it is going to work, but he said that he thought it was one of the coolest things he had ever seen.

Hope that spoiler thing worked, first time I have ever done that....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:37 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I'm more excited to watch Tom Petty perform than I am to watch the Pats rout the Giants

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:05 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

There is snow in hell boys. Congrats Giants fans!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Zatronn1 wrote:
There is snow in hell boys. Congrats Giants fans!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:24 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Cong NY. I was rootin for'em, wanted to see an upset. Too bad for Pats fans. =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:25 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Hell of a game, 4th quarter was back and forth the whole time.

Eli's escape from pressure on that huge 35yd pass will go down in history.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Yeah, was talkin about that with a friend. That pass is gonna be on superbowl highlight reels for years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Definitely

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:08 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

wow what a play that was. I was glad to see this end up being a game, I didnt have much faith in the Giants but found myself rooting for them to pull it out. Great finish

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Completely and utterly shocked, surprised, amazed. Did not think that the Giants had a chance at all. Not because it was the Giants... but because I simply could not fathom or see the Patriots coming this far, with all they have accomplished, and just laying down and losing.

Hats off big time to Eli and Coughlan, two of the most criticized NFL players/coaches in the past 16 months. Very happy for both of them, Eli should never have to be criticized for lack of heart or passion ever again.

BTW... what the hell was Shockey doing up in the suite? Seriously. Your team is down on the field... not the dozen hot women you had with you in the suite. And you are drinking beer too? Your ass needed to be on the sidelines, in jeans and your jersey, with your crutches by your side. And you needed to be cheering your team on and just being there, visible on the sidelines. I would not be surprised if they either traded him, or just cut him altogether. Obviously they don't need him... that rookie TE the Giants have is a pretty decent one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

cicely wrote:
Your ass needed to be on the sidelines, in jeans and your jersey, with your crutches by your side. And you needed to be cheering your team on and just being there, visible on the sidelines.

I thought the same damn thing when I saw him up there.

Boring start, great finish. Back to back Manning Super Bowl wins. Impressive stuff. Pats come all this way to lose the last one, wow...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

One of the most satisfying Super Bowls I have watched. The game was actually a game, not one sided. The Giants Defense was an amazing thing to behold for the most part, and every time Tom Brady got hit, I chuckled. It felt good to see him hit the turf so many times.

Also very satisfying to see Eli pull it off. The pass you guys are talking about was amazing. I didn't think the little guy had it in him to strip out of a tackle, regain his composure, and launch that pass on target. Amazing athleticism.

Great game. Even the half time show was good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 AM 
Bridge Dweller

How about that John Johson? Giants (or pats?) ath. trainer since 1948?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:49 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

cicely wrote:
Completely and utterly shocked, surprised, amazed. Did not think that the Giants had a chance at all. Not because it was the Giants... but because I simply could not fathom or see the Patriots coming this far, with all they have accomplished, and just laying down and losing.

Hats off big time to Eli and Coughlan, two of the most criticized NFL players/coaches in the past 16 months. Very happy for both of them, Eli should never have to be criticized for lack of heart or passion ever again.

BTW... what the hell was Shockey doing up in the suite? Seriously. Your team is down on the field... not the dozen hot women you had with you in the suite. And you are drinking beer too? Your ass needed to be on the sidelines, in jeans and your jersey, with your crutches by your side. And you needed to be cheering your team on and just being there, visible on the sidelines. I would not be surprised if they either traded him, or just cut him altogether. Obviously they don't need him... that rookie TE the Giants have is a pretty decent one.

I agree 100% with everything ya said, especially the highlighted part. Two people showed the world just exactly what sort of shit bags they are last night. Shockey in his suite and Belifuck running off the field and into the tunnel with time remaining. Don't give me the bullshit that he didn't know the game had yet to be finished, this is one of the touted "football experts" and even Eli Manning knew the game wasn't quite over yet. In contrast Peyton is in a box cheering on his brother ... said brothers now being back to back Superbowl MVPs.

What was with the way the MVP selection was handled? Bradshaw offhandedly tosses Eli the car keys, the flash the hybrid suv and move on. No trophy, no speech ... nothing. God forbid House is delayed eh? Would the coverage have been as lax had the Patriots not fucked up their shot at history and epically failed? Anyone interview Mercury Morris?

Guess Tom should thank Plax for giving his team more credit than was due.

As a Cowboys fan I can take a certain amount of satisfaction in being knocked out of the playoffs by the eventual SB champs, but I'm not all that sure I like this confidence that little manning has now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
I had been rooting for the Patriots until Bellichek through out the review flag to catch the 12th man on the field running off.

My whole family agreed at that moment, the Giants needed to win that game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 AM 

I thought the Pats, as much as I hate all sports teams from boston, would completely destroy the Giants. I even made a prediction in here (something like 55-10). What a 4th qtr! Gratz G-men! The roar of cheers at my place when Eli got out of that sack and completed that pass was why I host a Super Bowl party every year.

I thought the halftime show was lame. Yeah it was a Petty show and I really didn't expect much from him. There was no energy, no emotion, just Petty playing a few songs. The songs we fine, I would have liked for him to close with Breakdown, but overall it was a C. Not horrible, not great. IMO Prince was the best halftime show we have seen at a Super Bowl. Now looking ahead a couple years the discussion was wouldn't it be cool to have ZZ Top be the half time show for Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, TX (AKA Jerry World)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 AM 

Bucket Head or Fucking Head?

Seems that some people are so hell-bent to find something where it is not. Take the video below. There are reports that people are complaining that Terry Bradshaw dropped an F-Bomb during the pre-game. Anyone that has every watched the Fox NFL pre-game show knows that Terry called Howie a Bucket-Head.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:21 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
I had been rooting for the Patriots until Bellichek through out the review flag to catch the 12th man on the field running off.

Ya know, I was bugged by that too. I understand gamesmanship and all, but that felt like a chintzy challenge to me. I chalked it up to me not being all that fond of Belichek in the first place, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who raised an eyebrow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Everyone at my house cheered louder and celebrated way more when Eli made that TD pass with 39 sec left than when the Colts won the game last year.

Fuck the Pats. They really showed their true colors last night, first with Bellichek tossing that challenge flag followed up by him running to the tunnel and then his post game interview. What a tool. Brady also showed how big of an asshole he really is by yelling at Welker. Welker was the only guy on the Pats who actually played like he really wanted to win the game. The rest of them were lackluster at best.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:00 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
I'm a Colts fan, so like many other people were rooting for the Patriots to lose.

Was great to see the game though, and after all the crap talk about Eli for him to be the Superbowl MVP and get a win.

Belichick's action didn't surprise me, and he knew, defense had to come back, and even though it was just ceremonial at that point, he should've had his ass back on the field.

That guy is a sore sport.

I felt bad for the Patriots, but the Giants deserved to win, I don't feel sorry for Belichick.

Edit:

Khan: I think that's because Colts fans love to hate the Patriots :) (re: the loud cheering)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:57 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I like it that Randy Moss has been on the two highest scoring teams in NFL history with a combined regular season record of 31-1 and still has no rings to show for it. BWAHAHA

hate that guy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:01 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I had 5 friends last night at my place, watching the game. When Belichick (sp) threw that red challenge flag... we all looked at each other in disbelief. My friend said aloud "I thought you could only challenge a referee's decision, whether it be flag or no flag (like catching the ball in bounds our out of bounds)"... and we all nodded our heads in agreement.

I had never heard of challenging a no-call before. I guess there is some obscure rule that no one knew about (at least those who were at my place, and we all are pretty good football fans) but Belichick. I am not a fan of his, and yeah it was somewhat cheesy, but... give him and his coaching staff some credit for knowing the obscure rule and catching that 12th man on the field.

However, criticize the hell out of him for not going for the field goal, and instead trying a 4th and 13. Indoor field, perfect playing conditions, field goal attempt under 50 yards... why don't you go for 3 points? The debate this morning was not giving field position, if you miss the field goal then the Giants take over from the spot. Well, you missed the 4th down play, the Giants still take over from that same spot. Either way, they have to go what, 65-70 yards for a TD? And if you ARE going to go for it on 4th and 13... go for a first down. Don't go for a TD 30-35 yards away unless the guy is wide open. Run a slant, in and out route, something to get you 13 yards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 PM 

The criticism about the flag is crap. It was something the refs missed and should have called. Bottom line is that the Giants DID have 12 men on the field, and should have been penalized.

What I disliked about belichick is leaving the field before the game was over and not kicking the field goal. Both reek of arrogance. Fuck those cheaters. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:41 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

cicely wrote:
However, criticize the hell out of him for not going for the field goal, and instead trying a 4th and 13. Indoor field, perfect playing conditions, field goal attempt under 50 yards... why don't you go for 3 points? The debate this morning was not giving field position, if you miss the field goal then the Giants take over from the spot. Well, you missed the 4th down play, the Giants still take over from that same spot. Either way, they have to go what, 65-70 yards for a TD? And if you ARE going to go for it on 4th and 13... go for a first down. Don't go for a TD 30-35 yards away unless the guy is wide open. Run a slant, in and out route, something to get you 13 yards.

Slight correction, with a missed field goal you take over at the spot the ball was kicked from. Regardless, I was surprised they didn't have the kid attempt the kick, there's no "gimmes" in kicking, but there's few 4th and 13 plays in playbooks as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:01 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I'm now a Giant's fan for life! they beat the cheater-boys and restored my faith in the universe. The way the last second of the game was handled left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth and renewed my dislike of Belichek & his boys though. And, Eli Manning being MVP? damn! the D (and to a lesser extent the O-line) was screwed by that announcement. Don't get me wrong, Eli played well, but to fail to acknowledge that stopping the Patriots offense was the more important part of the Giant's win? hmmm...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:24 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I missed half the game cause I work early, but as I said before, I was in it for the commercials.

Did you all see the one with the stain on the shirt during the interview? Classic!!!

The pepsi one with Justin Timberlake was good too. Gotta love the dad.

Shaq jocking and the thriller dancing lizards gave a chuckle.
Halftime was pretty good, he sounded good- but wow looked old (yeah I know, he is old).
Pretty good halftime show, even with no bewbs. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:23 PM 

half time was lip-synced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:24 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/12/04/tom-petty-talks-super-bowl-long-overdue-heartbreakers-record-corporate-rock-exclusive/#more-4621

Quote:
RS: Some acts pre-record some of their instruments when they play these things. Are you guys going to do any of that or will it be totally live?

TP: No, we’re a live group.

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile