All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:41 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Right now Missouri is ranked #1 and the underdog vs #9 Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game.

West Virginia is #2 and has a game vs Pittsburgh

Ohio State is #3 and won't play again until a bowl game (45+ days off)

Georgi is #4 and won't play until the bowl game

LSU is #5 and playes Tennessee for the SEC Championship

If I could HAND PICK two teams to play in the mythical national championship game I would take USC and LSU (assuming they win the SEC Championship). However, that is not the case and the voters will "select" the teams. I think that Missouri will lose again to Oklahoma and West Virginia will beat a bat Pittsburgh team to make the MNC game be Ohio State vs West Virginia with WVA winning in a romp.

If ever we needed some sort of playoff for NCAA D1 football, now is the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:01 AM 

There are no clear-cut teams that should play. I can't honestly say that USC and LSU are better than Missou and OSU.

All I know is that the two teams that are #1 and #2 have very soft schedules. The best team that Missou has beaten is either Kansas or Illinois. Excuse me? Weird. The ONLY ranked team that WVU has beaten is Cincinatti.. It's a fucking joke. So WVU is 1 for 1 against ranked teams, and they are playing in the MNC game. Crock of shit. OSU is 1 for 1 against ranked teams, too. But at least Missou plays in a conference championship game. Of the top 5 teams, only UGA has beaten more than 2 ranked teams.. they've beaten 4. So I say, give it to UGA.

But then, the "big" teams have done nothing but choke this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
Of the top 5 teams, only UGA has beaten more than 2 ranked teams

Hello LSU? They beat at least 4 ranked teams.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
I would agree I think USC could beat any of the top 4 teams atm

as far as WVU goes they played 4 top 25 ranked teams this year

went 3-1 against them, these are rankings at the time they played

#22 Cinn, currently #19
#20 UConn, currently unranked after losing to WVU last week
#18 South Florida, currently #25
#25 Rutgers, unranked

they also CRUSHED a pretty decent Miss St. that finished 7-5, will play in a bowl game
and had wins over ranked teams, Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky

and a win over Maryland from the ACC who is also a bowl eligible team

WVU didn't play one of the top 10 schedules as far as COMPUTER generated rankings
but it wasn't a patsy schedule either IMO

If I had to place the two teams I'd like to see play

USC vs WVU, with LSU a close second, or more like a 1a

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:20 PM 

LSU is also ranked #7, Neesha. I said top 5.

Michigan was a top 5 team at the beginning of the year. UCLA was top 15. Louisville was #10. Nebraska was #20. Rankings don't mean shit until the end of the year, after the chips have fallen. Especially this year.

And BTW - there is no way that USC should play for the title, under any circumstances. They lost to STANFORD. If, after you're upset, someone argues that "it's the biggest upset of all time, even more so than Michigan losing to I-AA App State", you're done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:34 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

OSU has only beaten 1 of 2 ranked opponents (grr)...kinda surprised you missed that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:53 PM 

I think I misspoke. I said 1 for 1, but I meant 1 win, 1 loss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

regardless of rankings if there was a plus 1 system or a viable playoff system

I think you'd see USC stomp the shit out of 4 of the top 5 teams

IMO, and I'm not a USC fanboi

Bachelor's from So Miss, Masters from U. New Mexico

Golden Eagles and Lobos ftw !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:14 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
LSU is also ranked #7, Neesha. I said top 5.

I just went with the first post in the thread where he had them listed at #5 (I assume that's the AP ranking). There's no way in hell USC deserves to play for the national championship. Hawaii is more deserving, if you ask me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:19 PM 

Not only does USC not deserve to play, but they really aren't that great this year. There's no heart on that team. They bought into the hype too much and stopped playing. More talent than any other team, but talent means squat if there's nothing else there.

I was referring to current BCS standings in my post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:53 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

As things stand now I hope MO and WV win Saturday, because fuck Ohio State.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:53 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

LOL @ Georgia. The BCS would seriously be over if a team that didn't even win its conference DIVISION played in the championship game.

That said, it's entirely possible. LSU will likely leapfrog them if they win the SEC, but if they lose and Missouri and West Virginia lose also...

Ohio St. vs. Georgia for the title? That would be ridiculous.

It just goes to show, again, that there is way too much importance placed on WHEN a team loses. Kansas lost one game all season, and it was to the now #1 team in the country on the last week of the year. Had they lost to Missouri in week 2, they would most likely be top 5 in the BCS and have a real shot at getting in the title game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:59 PM 

Yeah, I agree with you. But that's the arguments so many people made last year trying to put Michigan in against tOSU for a rematch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

The BCS would not seriously be over if that happened, seeing how it didn't come to an end when it happened in 2001.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:09 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I dont see them ever giving in, but this is clearly the year that should move us towards a playoff system.

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:22 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
So after today's games... wow. A person could make a case for pretty much 9 teams that belong in the BCS championship game against Ohio State (which, BTW, many people could make arguments as to why they do not deserve to be in that game).

Oklahoma- won Big 12, arguably one of the strongest conferences this year. Defeated the #1 team in the country today.
LSU- SEC winner, its two losses were both in overtime.
USC- Pac 10 champ, playing great football as of late.
Virginia Tech- ACC champ, was ranked #6 going into today
Kansas- 11-1 record, only loss was to then #2 Missouri
Hawaii- assuming they win tonight, the only undefeated team in D1 football

Now granted, the arguments for Kansas and Hawaii are relatively weak. However, they do have a case and can make a debate. After how everything played out today, it has to be either LSU or Oklahoma. In fact, I would love to see LSU play Oklahoma, Ohio State play USC in the Rose Bowl, Kansas and Hawaii play in the Cinderella Bowl... but that is obviously not going to happen. Ohio St has a spot, and presumably LSU is next on the list.

Of course, the way that this season has gone... I would not be surprised if (somehow, someway) Michigan ended up ranked #1 in the country :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:19 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I'm not sure how Kansas has ANY argument to get into the nat'l title game, I wouldn't put them in a BCS bowl. They weren't even in their conference's title game, and if they had been could they have won? I doubt it. Each conference can only send 2 teams to BCS bowls, it should be the 2 best teams. The only way it should be the conference champ and a team other than their opponent is if one division in the conference is decidedly stronger than the other, for the big 12 that would mean 2 south teams. No team, other than Missouri, from the north should be in a BCS game.

Hawaii has the best argument to get a shot at proving themselves the best in the nation. They are the only team that can say that every saturday, in their games, they were always the better team. Maybe they would get destroyed in the title game, we won't know unless they are there. I think that every other team, including Ohio State, has more arguments against being in the title game than for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:43 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

The Kansas argument basically goes like this-

1. One loss. Only Ohio State equals that, and they are going to the BCS game. Only Hawaii has better, but they are not in a major conference.
2. Their only loss was against the #2 team in the country at the time (or were they #4? Either way...). That is a quality loss.
3. They played in, arguably, the top conference in college football this year. If not the best, definitely top 2-3.
4. It has been shown in the past (Nebraska being the team I believe was the last) that you do not have to win your conference to go to the Championship game.

Now, having said all of this... yes, it is a weak argument. I am not debating that. My point, however, is that there is a good 6-7 teams that can make a claim that they belong in the BCS title game. And while some claims are stronger than others... they all have a claim and an argument. It will be interesting to see who goes... and I would imagine the voices for a playoff system are going to be louder tomorrow morning than in any other year previous.

I would like to see Ohio State, LSU, USC and Oklahoma play each other in two bowl games (pairings as you see fit)... and then the AD's and University presidents of the two winners get together and play a game in mid January. Hire some refs, rent out a stadium, play the game. Don't have to have it sanctioned by the BCS, they will still recognize their winner from the BCS title game... but it would be fun as hell to see "what if".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:07 PM 

Kansas played the weakest Big 12 schedule. They did not play Texas, they did not play Oklahoma, they did not play Texas Tech. They lost to Missouri and struggled vs Kansas State. Kansas does not deserve to be ranked in the top 10.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:21 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

krby71 wrote:
Kansas played the weakest Big 12 schedule. They did not play Texas, they did not play Oklahoma, they did not play Texas Tech. They lost to Missouri and struggled vs Kansas State. Kansas does not deserve to be ranked in the top 10.

QFT

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:51 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:
The Kansas argument basically goes like this-

1. One loss. Only Ohio State equals that, and they are going to the BCS game. Only Hawaii has better, but they are not in a major conference.
2. Their only loss was against the #2 team in the country at the time (or were they #4? Either way...). That is a quality loss.
3. They played in, arguably, the top conference in college football this year. If not the best, definitely top 2-3.
4. It has been shown in the past (Nebraska being the team I believe was the last) that you do not have to win your conference to go to the Championship game.

My counter, or why Missouri's claim is stronger:

1. One loss. Only Oklahoma managed to beat them, it just happened twice. What other 1-loss team had to face the only opponent who found a way to beat them again?
2. See 1.
3. ditto
4. Missouri beat Kansas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:28 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I will say this- Arizona State got royally screwed hardcore. To be playing on December 27, when a 3 loss Illinois team is playing in the Rose Bowl AND a 4 loss Michigan team is playing on New Year's Day is ..... wow.

And that statement is coming from a Michigan guy, born and raised. When my friend texted me the information when I was at work tonite, I was in shock. Yeah, I am happy and estatic that Michigan is playing on New Year's Day; however, I don't think they really deserve to be playing on that day (a day typically reserved for the upper echelon bowl games). And Arizona State is a far far superior team than to be playing 4 days before the traditional Bowl game day. Wow.

Glad to see Hawaii given a chance at a BCS game. Of course, what would be funny is if LSU beats Ohio State, Kansas loses, and Hawaii wins. A 2 loss team will be the BCS Champion... even though a BCS team ended up being undefeated. While I am not saying Hawaii should be the BCS champ, I do think it is funny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:33 AM 

Yeah. If you thought the spread was hard to defend against Oregon and App St, just wait until your bowl game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:52 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

joxur wrote:
Yeah. If you thought the spread was hard to defend against Oregon and App St, just wait until your bowl game.

:lol: :lol: They'll get a good helping of Tebow 8)

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:07 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Why is Ohio State such a popular team to like? I see tons of people with OSU stickers on their cars, and I know not every one of them went there. =P Are they just the "cool" team to like, kinda like the Bulls and Cowboys in the 90s?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 AM 

It's one of the largest universities in the country. Plus they travel well... OSU has some pretty good fans. Too bad they half burn down their city after they win big games.

Hey, there you go. We could motivate LSU to win with a "Save the couches" campaign. Keep Columbus beautiful. heh...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:09 PM 
Bridge Dweller

ha! =D

OSU only has 600 more students than ASU and ASU has shitty support, despite being one of the best teams and having one of the best records. I guess I just get a bit jealous!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:58 PM 

OSU has a bit more history in football, though :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:51 PM 
Do you smell that?

After Saturday night, OU.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:23 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Who should play in the BCS Championship game?

not ohio state

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:47 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
At least Hawaii got a BCS berth if not a shot at the championship. The fact that teams can opt out of playing them (hello Michigan) seriously fucks their chance to prove their right to be considered when they actually won every game they played in a season where no one else did. If going 12-0 is not enough, then kick that entire conference down a notch instead of dangling the championship game as an unattainable carrot. No two loss team should be in the championship game when the only undefeated team is relegated to a lesser bowl.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:56 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I agree its not their fault, if the big named teams wont play them. However next year, they open up the season by coming down here to Gainesville to play Florida :)

On a similar note, LSU was supposed to play Appalachian State this year, but opted out after ASU won their second national championship in a row. But after Michigan lost to them, they probably patted themselves on the back... and now ASU are on the verge of their 3rd championship berth in a row. Go Mountaineers! 8)

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:50 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Hawaii? Please. Have any of you even looked at their schedule????

Northern_Colorado 1-11
at Louisiana_Tech 5-7
U-N-L-V 2-10
Char_Southern 6-6
Idaho 1-11
Utah_State 2-11
San_Jose_St 5-7
New_Mexico_St 4-9
Fresno_State 8-4*
Nevada 6-6
Boise_State 10-2*
Washington 4-9

With the exception of Boise, they played 1 single team that was over 500 and lets not even mention that 2 teams only won 1 game the whole season and 2 other teams only won 2 games the whole season.

Are they worthy of a BCS bowl game? Sure, maybe the Meineke Car care bowl or something but not the Sugar Bowl.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

BCS bowls are only:

BCS title game
Rose Bowl
Sugar Bowl
Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl

and only the top 12 or 14 I forget in the BCS point standings

are eligible to be in one of these 5 games.

None of the other bowl games care or matter where you are ranked in the BCS

only requirement is that you have 6 wins over Div 1 teams, or what is now called the bowl sub-division

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 AM 

Quote:
and I know not every one of them went there.

I went there. I graduated there. Go Bucks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:19 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
And Hawaii is proving me correct. 9min to go in the 3rd and they are down 23-3...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Will say it again. Mizzou. Was. Robbed.

Will take a load of pleasure in watching Kansas get ass-raped in their bowl, however. Just like we ass-raped them. And Arkansas. And every team on our schedule besides OU.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:49 AM 

Mizzou played a hell of a game. Arkansas played like SHIT. I don't think it was a case of Arkansas playing bad to make Missouri look good, I think it was definately Missouri playing good making Arkansas look bad.

USC and Georgia put out a hell of a statement too.

And who else was suprised that Michigan would send Carr out with a Bowl Victory. Good win Michigan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:10 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

ohio state is going to get killed and i will laugh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:56 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
I'll eat my fair amount of crow, Hawaii proved the bcs computer system correct (in their placement) and regardless of record is not a strong enough team to warrant inclusion in the national title game ... Mizzou on the other hand would seemingly have been a better choice for that spot in the Sugar Bowl.

Ah well, until there is an actual playoff system, these discussions will continue year after year, which may be part of the rationale (outside of the ginormous cash cow that the bowl system is) of keeping things as is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:42 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Only 2 teams from any 1 conference can make a BCS bowl

therefore Mizzou couldn't have played in the Sugar Bowl

and at the same time have KU and Okla in the Orange and Fiesta

respectively.

The whole damn BCS system just needs to go away.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:35 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Go SEC!
So far it seems to be going the same way as the game last year 8)

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:50 PM 

The Big 10 is in serious trouble.

They need to do something to get with the fucking program. This game is the tale of two conferences going in the opposite direction. The SEC, in addition to being acknowledged as the best conference of the past several years, has just won its 6th national title in 15 years.

Things that the Big 10 needs to do:

1. Stop being cocks and denying us a goddamn playoff. It's the Big 10 and Pac 10 which cling to the bowl format the most. They are also the two remaining of the big conferences who lack a championhip game. Speaking of which,

2. ADD A FUCKING CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. No one knew if the Buckeyes deserved a shot at this game because they didn't fucking play anyone. At all. They also stopped playing weeks before the other teams in the BCS Games stopped playing. Get with the fucking program.

3. Recruit speed at positions other than the skill positions.

4. Adopt a modern goddamn spread offense. This is a bit moot, as Michigan will be doing so with Rodriguez next year. Michigan will be invincible in Big 10 play. Count on it. Look at how badass Illinois was in Big 10 play.

Of course, if I were running the Big 10, I would not do any of this. That conference has a guaranteed shot in the title game every year. When you play no one, it is easy to run through your schedule with 1 loss or less. Who would be surprised if Michigan or OSU makes it here this time next year? The Pac 10 is in the same boat, has the same advantages. It just doesn't hold up because the Pac 10 actually has some competition.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:03 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

randy wrote:
Who should play in the BCS Championship game?

not ohio state

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:45 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Ehh... 6-1 vs the SEC in their last 7 meetings says Michigan did ok even without a spread offense. Much good it did the mighty Florida gators in their bowl game too, I seem to recall. How was that spread supposed to work out again?

Granted, I fully expected OSU to lose the championship, especially after a month off. I don't necessarily think it means the entire conference is in the tank though, much as ya might want to take every opportunity to trash talk them. Ohio State could play with many SEC teams, IMO. They're just not as good as the best one.

1) The BCS makes a zillion dollars a year. Pretty sure the Big 10 colleges don't have the option to just turn it off and roll out the playoffs. Maybe it feels good to assign them blame, but I'm pretty sure there's plenty to go around. I don't remember hearing about any SEC schools sending back any paychecks in protest.

2) How would a championship game help any when you protest that all the schools in the conference don't play anyone, so you don't know how good they are? Would it have made you any happier this year if OSU had beaten Illinois in a championship game before they both got their asses kicked in bowls? I'd actually like to see a championship game. I'd like to see them play less than a month before the bowls. I'm just not sure why you'd care.

3) Ever been to Ohio? There's a lot of big ol corn fed farm boys there. Makes it a bit more convenient to recruit size over speed. As for out of state recruits, pretend you're an 18 year old boy and you can choose between the icy majesty of Ann Arbor in December and pretty much any place in Florida... you're gonna tell me southern schools might not have just the teeniest advantage there?

4) I think it'll be fun to see how a spread offense works out. It's not the only way in the world to play football though.

Also, I disagree that the pac 10 has significantly more competition. After USC, who can you count on year in and year out? Cal? Arizona State? Ehh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

Quote:
2. ADD A FUCKING CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. No one knew if the Buckeyes deserved a shot at this game because they didn't fucking play anyone. At all. They also stopped playing weeks before the other teams in the BCS Games stopped playing. Get with the fucking program.

Get NBC to stop paying out the nose for Notre Dame home games and the Big Ten will have a championship game.

How'd I know that it would be Joxur and Teaaman jumping on this thread and not Shaaz and Neesha?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:59 AM 

I thought it was funny when all the analysts kept comparing the #1 rated OSU defense vs the #3 LSU defense when the OSU stats (which is what they base the rankings on) were compiled against the cupcakes OSU played and an injured Michigan team.

OSU Schedule:
Youngstown State
Akron
@Washington
Northwestern
@Minnesota
@Purdue**
Kent State
Michigan State*
@Penn State**
Wisconsin
Illinois*
@Michigan**

LSU Schedule:
@Mississippi State**
Virginia Tech*
Middle Tennessee
South Carolina (six win team)
@Tulane
Florida*
@Kentucky**
Auburn**
Alabama**
Louisiana Tech
Mississippi
Arkansas*
Tennessee**

*-Bowl Team
**-Won Bowl game

I see a big difference in schedule. I'll admit that it is not 100% OSU's fault for not having a stronger schedule. Outside Michigan, Penn State, and OSU the rest of the Big 10 is just weak year after year. However, that is why they need to schedule at least one upper tier non-conference opponent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Sorry, I'm here...just basking.

Carry on

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:27 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Ditto. Anyone NOT a fan of a team from either the Big 10 or the Pac 10 knew that both conferences pretty much sucked (and have sucked for a while now, with a few exceptions).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:01 PM 

Don't mind me, I'm just bitter because I can totally see Ohio State getting to this game AGAIN, and losing AGAIN.

I'm also bitter because the biggest obstacles to a +1 or a playoff is the nature of the relationship between the pac 10, the big 10 and the rose bowl. you fuckers are holding the rest of us hostage. it wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to watch your shitty teams every year on or after Jan 1.

As far as the Florida bash, try again. My school has won back to back basketball championships, a football championship, and a heisman trophy in the last 2 years. if you pay attention to what our defense has(n't) done, you'll see that we couldn't stop a wet noodle. Your team was the first ranked team to get beaten by a 1-aa team. ever. and btw, if you didn't watch the game, michigan was using the spread offense against florida. gee. michigan's only win of substance all year, and they used the spread. kind of backs up my point doesn't it?

Come back here in 11 months. Michigan is going to absolutely ROLL Ohio State with that offense. Bookmark this thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
As far as the Florida bash, try again. My school has won back to back basketball championships, a football championship, and a heisman trophy in the last 2 years. if you pay attention to what our defense has(n't) done, you'll see that we couldn't stop a wet noodle. Your team was the first ranked team to get beaten by a 1-aa team. ever. and btw, if you didn't watch the game, michigan was using the spread offense against florida. gee. michigan's only win of substance all year, and they used the spread. kind of backs up my point doesn't it?

Try again? I think you just did it for me... for all those vaunted accomplishments(tho, how basketball championships apply to the topic at hand is a bit beyond me) and trash talk about my school, it's still the team that won the game. For all your snarky "just wait till your bowl game, omgz how will you even cover the spread when you suck so bad" talk, the team that lost to a 1aa school for the first time EVER beat you in the big game. Interestingly enough, they've pretty consistently done that over the past 5 years or so.. hence, the 6-1 stat vs SEC schools. You're the one who's big on "what have you done for me lately" stats. Why can't the SEC beat Michigan sir? Hell, App state can do it!

Sadly, I was just going to let it pass. Even good teams lose some days. I just get tired of seeing a few of you florida guys only ever bother to come to threads here to talk shit about other people's teams. Soon as OSU lost, there you come out of the woodwork to pile on. Mysteriously absent when your team is having a bad day though, eh?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:03 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

If OSU wins, BCS is perfect system. Since LSU won, BCS is flawed and a playoff is needed.

This is what I've read since the clock hit 00:00 last night. "What about Georgia??" "What about USC??" Blah blah blah

LSU could go undefeated, unscored upon, score 50+ points per game...and someone would write a big article about how they didn't play App State or Hawaii, so their non-conference schedule was lacking. They could beat USC in the Rose Bowl on Monday, beat WVU in the Sugar Bowl on Tuesday, beat Michigan in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday, beat Missouri in the Orange Bowl on Friday...and someone would complain that they didn't play on Wednesday.

There's no end in sight for any solution that would satisfy anyone. Have a 16 team playoff? The number 17 team would whine about how they got shafted. Have a plus 1 system? There would be enough sand flying from the Pac-10's vagina and tears rolling out of the Big 10 to recreate Waikiki beach in Ann-Arbor. Call it the Hula Bowl...Alo-fuckin-ha.

There is no fixing college football. Noone will ever be satisfied.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:03 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Probably true. Though, I don't think OSU winning would have made all that many people think it was a great system. I still would have thought otherwise, anyway, and I'm a Big 10 fan. /shrug.

Problem is that the system is a great moneymaker for the schools, as is. That's more important than the actual competition.

Too bad too. I don't really understand the resistance to certain proposals anyway. I actually like the idea of the "plus 1" game. It's not a playoffs(which is what appeals to me most) but it would eliminate a lot of the bickering that is so prevalent most years. Though, interestingly enough, this year I thought LSU emerged as a pretty clear winner after the bowls. I don't buy much of a case for any other team in it this time around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:49 AM 

Quote:
beat you in the big game
This pretty much underscores the lack of understanding by fans of other conferences when trying to figure out what motivates SEC fans.

The Capital One Bowl is not the big game. It's not as big as a single conference game. It's not even a BCS game. Bowl games are almost totally irrelevant. There were no meltdowns on UF message boards after that loss. We couldn't ask for much more besides a NC and a Heisman Trophy in a year span. Thems the breaks.

That's what you guys don't get. I got a nasty little SMS from a Michigan fan in the office after the loss, but he didn't realize that the season was over when we didn't go to the SEC championship game. Bowl games are about the same as exhibition games. We care about our overall record as a conference so that we can talk shit to people like you, and we definitely got that.

10 years from now, no one will remember Michigan's win over Florida in a meaningless bowl game. But they'll still talk about that loss to App St, and your losing streak to Ohio State. Maybe not the latter, though, since you'll end that next year with that spread offense :)

Don't hate all Florida fans because of my vitriol on these boards. I'm just seriously sick of your conference sucking balls every year and failing to deliver the goods. You've won 2 national championships in 20 years. We've won 6 in 16, from 4 different teams (7 and 5 if you count Auburn in '04, which we should).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:02 AM 

Zatronn1 wrote:
Problem is that the system is a great moneymaker for the schools, as is. That's more important than the actual competition.

There have been studies showing that an NCAA D1 football playoff would generate more money than the NCAA D1 Basketball playoff. They are leaving a great deal of money on the table.

I have seen proposals that keep many of the existing bowls in place and incorporate a playoff system. I don't know why they don't use something like that.

Sample Proposal:
College Football, a hybrid Bowl/playoff system. Take the top seven bowl games, The Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Capital One, Cotton, and Championship bowl then make them a playoff. The remaining bowls would then be free to choose any other team to play in their game.

The "automatic" entrants are the conference champions of the Big 12, Big 10, Pac10, SEC, ACC, Big East and the two top at-large teams. The "seeding" would be determined by polls or whatever with the following stipulations: two teams from the same conference can not meet in the first round and there can be a maximum of two teams from the same conference in the playoff.

If this proposal were in place this year if would look something like this:

#1 OSU vs #8 Hawaii in the Fiesta
#4 USC vs #5 Georgia in the Cap One
#3 Oklahoma vs #6 West Virginia in the Orange
#2 LSU vs #7 Virginia in the Cotton

The winner of OSU/Hawaii would play the winner of USC/Georgia in the Rose Bowl
The winner of OK/WVA would play the winner of LSU/VA in the Sugar Bowl

The winner of the Rose and Sugar would play in the Championship Game.

This way you could still have some of the traditional team playing in their traditional bowls (Pac-10/Big 10 in Rose, Big 12/ACC in Orange, SEC in Sugar).

Each year the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose bowl would rotate for hosting the Championship game and rotate positions in the bracket. After Jerry World is complete in Dallas it could be a part of the rotation for hosting the Championship game as the Cotton Bowl is moving there.

This system allows for the possibility of two non-BCS schools to make the playoff. If they are in the top 10 they have a good chance of being in the playoff.

The playoff would start the first week of December with the championship concluding the first week of January.

The main drawback to this is the increased travel required by the fans. However, they don't complain about this for the NCAA basketball tourney and not all schools have facilities as large as say Tennessee or Michigan. This would take about the same time as the D1-AA playoff and would make tons of cash. The other bowls would still be able to exist and take any of the remaining teams (some conference alliances could remain).

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:04 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Heh, in response to Jox... yeah, it's always a meaningless game when you lose. To the rest of the world, new years day bowl games are pretty significant, but you go ahead and live there in your special place. Also, I don't hate all Florida fans. I don't even hate you, in truth. We had some pretty cool times in EQ and WoW, and I know you're a decent guy overall. You just irritate me on this particular topic because you focus on the bad and only bother with that. Your side wins and you get to ride in and rain your shit on the lesser mortals, but they lose and you can't bring yourself to offer a kudos. "Hey guys, that was a nice win, congrats" from you would have shocked and awed me, and I wouldn't have said word one to you. Unsurprisingly, that wasn't really forthcoming.

Yeah, Michigan lost to a 1-aa team. I could make all sorts of excuses where it was basically an exhibition game against a team that probably could compete in 1-a. They didn't take it seriously, they lost in the closing seconds, decided by a field goal try.. etc etc. It's all bullshit though. My team lost, it tanked our season. It sucked. Frankly, I didn't really think they even deserved a shot at Florida. They weren't very good this year, sadly. If you think 5 years from now anyone's going to care though, you're high. Yeah, it was a first. Big deal. Everyone knows how good App state is. Everyone knows How good Michigan wasn't this year. The only people that will hang on to it are bitter Michigan haters who, upon seeing the game, can't say "Hey, grats App guys... That was probably the biggest win in your school history". Instead they just get the warm fuzzies when someone else's team chokes.

Whatever, next year is another year. Right now my shitty team kicked your team's ass. Suck it. Every time you come to the boards to remind me how shitty they are, I will remind you that they beat you. Have been beating you for several years actually. Wow, if only you could be good enough to rack up some wins against such a horrible team!

... Deep breath. Heh.

I actually intended to respond more to Krby's playoff system, but I got carried away and now I'm late for an appointment. It looks like a really cool system, and I like it, but if I understand it right it would make 2 bowls basically second run bowls. That would eliminate 4 schools from bowl money and double it for 4 others? That seems to be the whole problem with any playoff system that uses bowls to play on consecutive weeks. You essentially just consolidate the money and the schools that get eliminated are the smaller ones who would have been playing in littler bowls anyway. If you knock 4 big schools out of prestigious bowls, they're just going to drop down to the Motor City bowl or something, and then those guys go a tier down and so on and so on. That's kind of why I like the plus one game idea. I'm more for adding some games than rearranging the ones we have now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 PM 

Good point about the money. Right now, as I understand it, the bowls send the money to the conference. The team(s) that go to the games tally their expenses to be reimbursed and then split the rest of the pot. I believe that it works that way for the NCAA Basketball tourney but the conferences get a larger share for the number of games they play in.

The system listed above would keep four teams from a bowl game, but in all reality they increased money should be distributed to all NCAA D1A schools, not just the participants.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 PM 

Zat, you're wrong, I came back after two of the FL losses and took my licks in the other cfb thread in this forum. :)

My points were never about UF being badass, they were about the Big 10, and the SEC in particular.

If you really want to throw it into my face every time, that's fine. It obviously bothers you more than it bothers me. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:13 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

On the Appalachian State topic, it wasnt as though I was there to bash Michigan, I was there to pump up App. State. As I stated in that topic, they are my #2 team because I spend a lot of time at our family's vacation home in Boone, NC. I've been to quite a few of their games. I was stoke to see my team that noone had ever heard of make a name for themselves.
I have no problem saying congrats to michigan for beating Florida, Michigan came out pumped up and ready to play. Our defense couldnt stop anything, and if it wasnt for the turnovers the game would have been a huge blowout. I started the thread back up during the game because im an SEC fanboy, if Florida can't win it I like seeing another team from the conference win it and showcase a dominant league.

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile