It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Vick indicted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Chicago Tribue article
Quote:
Vick and three others are accused of violating federal laws against staging dog fights, gambling and engaging in unlawful activities across state lines. The 18-page indictment includes specific and graphic details of Vick and others running Bad Newz Kennels and executing dogs that didn't perform well by methods such as hanging, drowning, electrocuting, shooting and "slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

Quote:
Vick, a former No. 1 overall draft pick, said after an initial raid of the property in April that he was rarely at the house and had no idea it had been used in a criminal enterprise. But the indictment paints a different picture, identifying Vick as a key player in the operation. He allegedly answered to the nickname "Ookie."

Being a dog lover, and an owner of a dog, it makes me fucking sick to read this shit.

From a CNN article:
Quote:
According to the indictment, dogs that didn't show enough fighting spirit, or that lost matches, were put to death by a variety of methods, including shooting, drowning, hanging and electrocution. Prosecutors allege that on one occasion earlier this year, Vick participated in killing eight dogs.

Quote:
The owners of the winning dogs collected purses that ran into the thousands of dollars, and spectators also placed side bets on the outcome, prosecutors said. After one of the "Bad Newz" dogs lost a fight in March 2003, Vick personally paid $23,000 to the winning dog's owner, who is now a cooperating witness for the prosecution, the indictment said.

Quote:
The indictment also alleges that Vick and his associates "rolled" some of their dogs -- testing them in short fights to determine how well they might fight. Dogs that failed the test were killed, prosecutors said.

I can't begin to understand why a guy making so much fucking money in the NFL would risk it all for this shit. Wetting down a dog so you can electrocute it to death? wtf? That just seems especially cruel. He's facing up to six years in prison if convicted, and if he's guilty I hope he gets the book thrown at him. Probably won't see a day of jail time though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

That is beyond horrific. What kind of thought process goes on in someone's head to commit these kind of acts. Much less someone who has so much to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:17 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Killing dogs is sad and all but I dunno. I'm not really upset by it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Which is, of course, extremely surprising considering how your generous empathy is well known across these forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:48 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
While I agree 100% with the disgust in this "sport"... is empathy appropriate? I am guessing you meant sympathy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Nope, I meant empathy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:01 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You're an idiot.

Yes, I can "empathize" with an animal who was forced to fight and then slaughtered by cruel means. :roll: It's impossible. No one knows how dogs feel. No one can empathize with them. I can empathize with a human in certain situations, because I may have felt the same before.

Fucking retard. You meant sympathy. They're two completely different things.

On the totem pole of shit I care about, dogs being forced to fight then killed if they underperform is SO below my radar. I can't believe you worry about shit like this. You must have way too much time on your hands.

You're a god damn idiot. :sigh:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

LOL skycrasher. Thanks for that, I enjoy it.

Quote:
em·pa·thy
n.
1. Direct identification with, understanding of, and vicarious experience of another person's situation, feelings, and motives.
2. The projection of one's own feelings or emotional state onto an object or animal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:20 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Nice job on digging through 20 different dictionary entries on Google -- Define: Empathy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:23 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

You forgot to call me a mean name in that post, please fix. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:49 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Gonna go with "Can't have Empthay with, but can have Sympathy for animals" for $1,000 Alex.

So, back to a forum related topic... how long until Atlanta signs Culpepper?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:08 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Empathy is like a thousand times more correct than sympathy in the sentence surcam used.

Atlanta would be better off signing Doug Flutie over Culpepper. It's been pretty hilarious to watch their team collapse since the Mora stuff too. Doesn't Vick have a super long contract as well? Will it count against the cap even is he's cut/in prison? I'm not too clear on how all that works.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:10 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

This shit disgusts me. I hope the guy goes to jail for a long-ass time. I can't wait for SNL to do a skit on this one, after their weekend update regarding the weed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:12 PM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:32 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Heh, the week skit was funny.

As far as the dogs, I'm not a dog fan particularly, but cruelty to animals worries me in general. I'm not a PETA wacko or anything, but people who actually get off being cruel to animals kind of repulse me. Cruel is cruel, no matter what your subject may be, and it doesn't appeal to me.

He was a crummy fantasy QB most years anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
That was pretty good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:02 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Thanks for that SNL post, that was pretty funny.
Quote:
He was a crummy fantasy QB most years anyway.

Here here to that! And that's all that matters!

As far as Vick's NFL future, gonna be hard for him to lead an NFL team when he has court dates and such to attend. I imagine the Falcons are wishing they had held on to Matt Schaub a bit longer. On top of that, there's alot of speculation that Goodell will suspend Vick over this:
Quote:
Vick is expected to be suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after news broke Tuesday evening that Vick was indicted by federal authorities in connection with dog fighting in Virginia. The indictment followed a three-month investigation.

While Goodell was not reached for comment, two sources said the commissioner has been monitoring the Vick case since April, when investigators initially found evidence of dog fighting at a home Vick owned in Smithfield.

"Where (Vick) is in the most trouble is that he lied to the commissioner," a league source said. "He told (Goodell) in April that he didn't know anything about this. The commissioner gave (Vick) every chance to come clean, be straight about what was going on. Instead, he just kept denying it."

Quote:
If Vick is suspended for any length of time, the Falcons are likely to turn to backup quarterback Joey Harrington as the starter. Regardless, Vick's progress under new coach Bobby Petrino is expected to be thwarted as he deals with all the legal issues associated with the indictment.

Sucks to be a Falcons fan. :P I imagine as this story progresses Vick will end up being suspended or at least benched due to legal proceedings interfering with practice. Who knows in the long run how this will play out though, I imagine there'll be quite a few like skycrasher that don't really give a damn. I mean hell, if R Kelly can survive peeing on little girls, certainly Vick can survive this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:13 PM 

Some of the dogs were said to have been killed after being unfit to fight again. A sampling of the methods used:

1. Dousing the dog in water and electrocuting it.
2. Slamming the dogs body to the ground.
3. Hanging the dog.

It speaks for itself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:54 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Falcons will pick up Dante, fo sheez.

They should put Vicks' ass in a cage with 8 aggressive dogs and if he loses, they kill him via hanging, electrocution, etc.

On a serious note, this IS a terrible thing to happen, but tons of shit happens like this every day. I didn't say it wasn't bad, it's just that I don't really care.

I hope he gets what he deserves and faces some serious fines and time in jail -- and suspended from the NFL. But I'm not going to go out and campaign for animal rights because of it. Apart from that, I won't give it much attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:09 PM 

Yet you continue to post on the thread.. really illustrating that you want US to care that you don't care. But guess what? We don't care! The thread exit is to the left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:18 PM 
Bridge Dweller

... well I don't care that you don't care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:52 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Supposedly Culpepper has already contacted Jacksonville, and they have negotiated with Culpepper's agent about a position with the Jaguars. Not sure where all this Falcons talk is coming from, but /shrug.

I have heard multiple reports about this indicting/indiction (what is the proper word here?) with regards to this season. One camp thinks that nothing is going to happen to Vick until 2008, at which point he is probably going to be done with the Falcons as they terminate his contract and prepare for life after Vick. In which case, Vick can run the team this year under Petrino. However, another camp states that Vick may be due in court some time in September, which is going to seriously jeopardize his season this year. Either way, I personally think that-

The Falcons should either (a) cut Vick right now, and work towards the first overall pick in 2008... or (b) start giving the back up quarterback half the reps/snaps in camp to prepare him, just in case Vick is gone. Federal grand jury indictments is not a slap on the wrist, and Vick is in a LOT of trouble. He knows it, the Falcons knows it, the NFL knows it. Probably best to cut your ties now, let him deal with this legal fiasco, and try to play out the season in the hopes of getting a franchise quarterback in the draft next year. Isn't that Louisville QB supposed to be a top 3 QB? Or the USC guy as well?

I know it is drastic to phase Vick out of the team. However, even if you get Vick for this year... that gets you what, a 7-10 win season? Cool! But now you are (at this moment) 98% assured of losing Vick for at least the 2008 season, and probably the next few years after that. A 7-10 win season is probably not going to get you the franchise quarterback that you need for your team at that draft pick, so you are going to be stuck in a big rebuilding process. Maybe you can go after Leftwich next year, since his contract is up and he is appartently gone from Jacksonville once that happens. But you need to start thinking about a Vick replacement, and start thinking about it right now.

I am quite sure that no one is happy that Schaub is in Houston now... well, besides Houston fans. Bad move on the Falcons part :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
The way people treat animals is indicative of how they really wish they could treat humans. I don't care if he rots in jail forever, but that won't happen. I do predict his NFL career is over though, since he was one of the most over rated players in the game to begin with. He'll eventually start a few games for some team, suck, and then get benched and later cut, ala Kordell Stewart. Of course Kordell wasn't a slimy dog torturing bastard though, so I feel bad even comparing the two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:40 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Heh, I'd feel bad if my team was thinking about Leftwich as their franchise quarterback. Then again, my team has Jon Kitna as their franchise quarterback. /sigh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:42 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
The way people treat animals is indicative of how they really wish they could treat humans.

Yeah... those damn exterminators are fucking mini-Hitlers!

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:23 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Zatronn-

I did read/hear somewhere that the Lions might pick up Culpepper, but that was a month or so ago. Seems like the Jaguars have the inside track on him.

Hopefully Stanton can develop in a year or two into a quality QB. I don't really think we need a stud QB, just a competent one to take us to the playoffs. Then again, after watching Stanton in his final year, the jury is very out on him..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:57 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

*blink*

Culpepper is meeting with the Bucs... *blink*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:52 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I don't understand that, because Gruden has said publically that he loves Garcia. Maybe for a backup role? On a side note, I'm anxious to see Garcia be the mediocre QB he is and silence all the idiot Philly fans who wanted him to start over McNabb this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:25 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Gruden has a fascination with QB's. It is almost as if he enjoys to collect them and keep them, just in case...

I can understand Gruden meeting with Culpepper. Of course, it probably is not the best fit for Culpepper. I still think the Jaguars have the inside track, with *maybe* the Lions. Culpepper could see Calvin Johnson as talented a receiver as Moss was during his prime, so maybe Culpepper is thinking that Johnson can resurrect his career. Either way, I would think that Culpepper needs to sign awfully soon with some team if he expects to be a factor in 2007.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
"Meeting with" doesn't mean "signing". I am sure he talks to several teams while he is shopping his wares, but of course we'll hear about TB because they already have 200 QBs on the roster. He'll go to the Jags.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:46 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I will be surprised if he doesnt at least talk to Atlanta. I think he has the best chance of starting there in the long run. Either that or Baltimore.

*edit* I personally believe Vick will get banned from the NFL. Not suspended.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:30 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I've never been sold on Culpepper anyway, even in his prime. I think he'll go to Jacksonville, but I bet he could start in Atlanta by the end of the year. Harrington is strictly a stopgap solution in that offense, much as I always kind of liked him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Culpepper sucks, Atlanta would be better off to get a fresh young QB that gets cut by someone else for this season, tank the year and get a good first round pick like Matt Ryan and rebuild their team.

As far as Vik. Who gives a fuck. I hope he gets the full 6 yrs. Just another wannabe thug with too much money and zero morals who can run around a pass rush.

Good riddance.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Culpepper signed with da Raiders.

Atlanta already has Joey Harrington... so they will suck :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:16 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Culpepper is damaged goods, going under center of the absolute worst offensive line in the NFL (maybe second worst, not sure how Houston's line is doing nowadays). How many games does Vegas have of him surviving before he gets injured again :P

And I guess Culpepper forgot that Moss got traded to the Patriots. Probably was too busy trying to get out of Miami that he forgot to keep tabs on the NFL transaction list. I guess he can teach Russell a thing or two; that is, of course, if he lives to talk to Russell once Davis finally signs Russell.

The really odd thing is... do the Raiders honestly think that a damaged Culpepper is that much better than McCown and/or Walters, so much so that it will carry them to respectability? Or even at that... do they honestly think that a healthy Culpepper can take them to the playoffs? I just don't see this working out at all for Oakland.

As far as the whole Vick thing goes... if one of the four charged decides to co-operate with the feds and rat your ass out, then Vick is pretty much done with in the NFL. The saddest thing is that I don't even think that Vick realizes that what he did was wrong- that dropping a dog from two stories repeatedly until said dog is dead is an "OK" thing to do. That is the worst part of it all...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Vick is pleading guilty. The REALLY dangerous part of his plea is that it encompases supplying funds for gambling, which could earn him a life time ban from the NFL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he's out for good, he's 'damaged goods' at least.

Watching sportscenter's coverage, some guy just called up and was still saying Vick still might be innocent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:16 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Lou wrote:
Watching sportscenter's coverage, some guy just called up and was still saying Vick still might be innocent.

Yeah, I rode the elevator at work up after lunch today with a pair of women who were going on and on about how unfair the whole thing was (to Vick) and that "some dogs just want to fight". I was doubly shocked that they were women saying that.

Whatever the monetary fine part of his sentence ends up being; you can pretty much tack on an extra 20-odd million when the Falcons go after his pro-rated signing bonus. I can't imagine them not going after it; I know I would.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Telling lies to the Commish, running an illegal gambling ring, and illegal gambling are enough to get Vick the "Pete Rose" treatment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:25 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

As far as I am concerned, he is finished as a NFL player. Even though he has a lot of football talent, as a QB he has never really led a team deep into the playoffs... he is more of a running/flashy QB than a pure pocket leadership type of QB. Also, and the bigger picture, is the mindset of an owner who is going to take a chance on Vick. Yes, we are a forgiving society... but how can you call a press conference and introduce Michael Vick as your QB for whatever team signs him in 2+ years? The outrage from your fans, the horrific bad publicity that your team will face... just too much for pretty much any owner to face.

Maybe he can be an Arena league player in a couple of years. He is only 27, so once he is done with all the legal stuff he is still in his prime to do some sort of playing. Maybe if Al Davis is still in charge of the Raiders in a couple of years he may gamble on Vick, because Davis has been known to take stupid risks in the past that don't pan out for him...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:53 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I am hopeful that the commish lets the Falcon's cut him with no (or a significantly reduced) hit on the salary cap. As it stands, the Falcons are going to be TERRIBLE in the short term, and with the massive hit they will continue to take from his salary they will suck for even longer. It will be a travesty if the city of Atlanta has to pay for Vick's crimes for years after he is finished paying for them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:29 AM 

I thought I heard Jaws talking about this last night. He said that it is too late for the Falcons to do anything this year to get him "off the books" so they will keep him on the "Suspended-Unable to play" list Then, sometime durning the off-season, they will cut him and not take a huge hit. They might be able to sue to recove some of his bonus to reduce the total hit they take.

I don't remember how much of his contract was guaranteed, but whatever up front bonus he had already rec'd was to be pro-rated against the balance of the contract for cap purposes.

In short, this won't be THAT big of a cap hit for the Falcons going forward. Them sucking, well that has been happening for the majority of the franchise's existance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:02 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

What a selfish dick move by Petrino, he should have manned up and stuck with Atlanta until the end of the season.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:38 AM 

He was in a no-win situation. He didn't want to remain in the NFL. How could he have faced the Atlanta players and the media the rest of the year when he knew that he wouldn't be there next year.

Yes it is a crappy thing, but the Falcons can now look to bring in a coach and start the whole coaching merry-go-round thing going for the NFL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:16 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

Well, he could have, considering players do it all the time.

If he had testicular fortitude anyway~

No matter what it's a shitty thing to do with the Falcons, and I don't even like em... He's done it so much his word can't mean anything to anyone... What will he do to motivate Arkansas if they're feeling down and out? Give em a don't quit like I do speech?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quitting mid season sucks. If you're not man enough to see a season through to the end, don't sign a contract and take the job. Even in normal jobs with no contracts people give 2 weeks notice before leaving, and not many people want to stay in a place 2 weeks after you've told everyone you're leaving. You still do it because it's the right thing to do.

Offline Profile