It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:13 AM 

I mean, wtf? Anyone else paying attention to the firesale
ewing among like 20 NFL teams? Why the hell can't these two greedy sides figure out a way to divide up their multi billion dollar pie?<
>
<
>
Panthers, Broncos and others are swinging a big axe. I'm not so much crying for the players or the teams, but I am worried that we're going to turn the NFL into the cesspool of greed and shitheadedness that is MLB.<
>
<
>
The last thing this world needs is another league where a Stein
enner can step up and buy up all the talent. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

Quote:Anyone else paying attention to the firesale
ewing among like 20 NFL teams?<
>
no <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:27 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

<
>
<
>
The revenue sharing agreement pretty much negates the possibility of a Stein
enner in the NFL, from what I understand.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:16 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

As a Bears Fan I am watching it with much joy! "Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better." <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:18 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:we're going to turn the NFL into the cesspool of greed and shitheadedness that is MLB.<
>
<
>
I don't think the NFL is about anything but dollar signs in its current incarnation, but please fill us in on whats going on. <i></i>

"State that opinion in my presence, you fucktard, and I'll show you how valid it is when I'm kicking the shit out of you."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:06 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
I had to actually look up the term "firesale." I'd never heard it before. Then again, I'm not a big fan of baseball. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:21 AM 

Quote:Then again, I'm not a big fan of baseball.<
>
<
>
lolerskates. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:54 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Good explanation of the issue here<
>
<
>
Basically the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) which keeps the salary cap in place, is due to expire. Currently the owners and players are squabbling over the amount of revenue that should be devoted to the players - 56% or 60%.<
>
<
>
If the CBA is not renewed, then next year (2007 season) there will be no salary cap (see: baseball), and we'd likely get into a similar situation as with baseball where large market/wealthy teams dominate the playing field.<
>
<
>
The reason for the massive cuts of players is that without a CBA extension, the salary cap is about $10 million less then expected.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:07 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Denver had to cut some damn fine players too.<
>
<
>
Minnesota, amongst other teams, is actually in a huge position to do well this season with aquisitions because they had so much cap space to play with. I expect to see them make some key pickups this offseason.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:25 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Aw, dammit... I know we can never top "Get your dirty Jew mouth off my baby's cock", but I had high, high hopes for this thread title. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:55 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

i'm probably wrong, because im as confused as the rest of you, but i thought next year, there was going to be a 92 million cap and thats why teams are cutting? But then after next year, there will not be a cap? And the revenue sharing squabbling is not between the players and owners but the owners of big market teams and the owners of small market teams? <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:32 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Quote:If the CBA is not renewed, then next year (2007 season) there will be no salary cap (see: baseball), and we'd likely get into a similar situation as with baseball where large market/wealthy teams dominate the playing field.<
>
<
>
sucks for jacksonville <
>
<
>
Teaaman Lyrist- Retired Bard<
>
<i></i>

Teaaman Lyrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:55 PM 
Noob
Noob

The salary cap problem is compounded further without an extension on the CBA because penalties for cuts this season will be incurred this season, along with the penalties from the cuts from last season, instead of next season when they ordinarily do.<
>
<
>
That probably doesnt make any sense. Go play madden franchise until you understand. <
>
<
>
<
>Hunter - Ferok <Oryx><
>Lord Protector - Duke Ferok Swollidorf <Retired><i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:49 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!

I was actually making a huge post about this on thursday, but decided to hold off until the final final decision is made. Call it faith, or just blind hope that my favorite falltime activity doesn't diminish in the face of Snyder/Jones-ism. But I have a glimmer of faith this deal will be done. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:25 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

The NFL is my last hope (I'm not really sure this is the correct term being against Unions, only because I feel Unions only benefit those in them) that a Union can work in a beneficial way for everyone. If a deal is not worked out it only gives me more reason to be against them. <
>
<
>
I understand there are two sides to every disagreement and both sides have their good solid reasons to fight the good fight. But while there will always be good players a good owner is much harder to find, without them there is no reason to play. It's my opinion that in the end the player will give in to the owner (which always isn't always a good thing, but in the NFL and other leagues we are not talking about working for minimum wage, every player will more than likely never make as much money doing something else). Remembering this is supposed to be their dream. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:13 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:The revenue sharing agreement pretty much negates the possibility of a Stein
enner in the NFL, from what I understand.The problem is that if 2007 ends up being an uncapped year, you're going to have nearly the same situation as baseball. The difference isn't as huge as it is in baseball, but it would be substantial. Also, there is a great deal of debate around revenue sharing and how it's going to work. There's no guarantee the equity will continue. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:44 PM 

Tulu, your statement goes to show how little you really know about this particular situation. This is mostly about the owners in big revenue cities versus the owners in small revenue cities. This is management fucking up, not the union.<
>
<
>
This, coming from someone who has quit a job because it became unionized and I was forced to join it... fuck that. "Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better." <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:20 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Heh, Anna is pretty dead on. The problem really isn't the player union right now. The big issue is that the owners can't see eye to eye. Lots of little things have caused significant riffs. For example, selling the naming rights to stadiums. Some teams sell, some teams don't sell, some team sell gate names, whatever. How does that money get shared? <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:11 PM 

sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ne...id=2356310<
>
<
>
That's the latest proposal, and it will be voted upon tomorrow. In order to pass, the motion needs 24 votes. Supposedly, this is the final vote. In principal, this actually looks like a decent deal. 59.5% of revenues isn't the issue, I think owners will agree on this one (rumors had them close to this figure anyways). The problem area is the "Cash over cap" portion which addresses the revenue sharing issue. This is gonna cause the biggest problem. As of now, there are exactly 9 major decendents (high-revenue teams) that will block this move from going into fruition (this isn't rumor btw, these owners have been vocal about refusing to do revenue sharing):<
>
<
>
Washington<
>
Dallas<
>
NY Giants<
>
NY Jets<
>
Philly<
>
New England<
>
Houston<
>
Denver<
>
Carolina<
>
<
>
One of these votes will have to change. Unfortunately the entire NFC East is out because they're the largest markets, they are a separate conference and they don't care about the rest of the NFL. They'll be able to sell out and collect their revenues without a problem (as evident by the 1980s). AFC East is out too - Kraft (NE) has been the most vocal opponent of revenue sharing, and you can best believe the Jets will follow suit, and Miami's not small and Buffalo's the outlier. <
>
<
>
I think Houston is out just because of how much McNair paid for the team, and because they haven't exactly been successful under the current regime - record-wise. That leaves two teams - Denver and Carolina. Unfortunately I'm skeptical on Denver because of how many Superbowl appearances they had in the 80s (albeit they never won). That leaves Carolina. So panthers fans... do your part. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:16 PM 
The all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

EQ1: Arkayn x2 on Lanys and Arkaynx on Stromm transfer
WoW: Arkayn
I think Chris Parnell said it best: "It's all about the Hamilton's, baby" <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 PM 

CBA! CBA! CBA!<
>
<
>
fucking yea. Thank god we signed, my week has just been complete. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:59 PM 

Thank god and now, on to the business of retaining the services of Will Witherspoon. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:07 PM 

...darn. <i></i>

Offline Profile