It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:21 AM 

How many of you guys play?<
>
<
>
I'm thinking about starting up a Dark Eldar army. It would be my first table-top gaming experience. It seems like a lot of fun, even though I've only played a few games at GW stores and such.<
>
<
>
It's expensive as all hell though.<
>
<
>
olollol nerd <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 AM 

I played 40k a bit in college, but it got to be too big of an investment of both time and money. Plus the people I tended to play with used to be rules mongers that would try to argue and stretch out any advantage they could find, and cause the games to take way longer than they should. But it was still pretty fun while it lasted.<
>
<
>
Let me know if you want a half-painted, semi-
oken Eldar army that's been sitting in storage for real cheap .<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 AM 

I've not played in years, I played when 40k first came out... at the time my wife had a massive orc army and me a massive Eldar army. Our friends had armies too.<
>
<
>
<
>
We did Warhammer and other miniture games as well, but 40K was our favorite. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 AM 

I am currently painting (very slowly with spare time) an Ultramarines army I got for very cheap. What you want to do first is get the book in PDF, they float around various torrents sites.<
>
-Everyone has the right to my own opinion.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 PM 

Don't forget your ruler! <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:56 AM 

I played alot in second edition with Eldar, then they make third edition for fast games and it lost all the flavor and background and I stopped playing at that point. <
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:39 AM 

I have my share of Rogue Trader trophies and I still have my red "Judge" tshirt that my wife keeps trying to throw away each time she gets in a cleaning mood. <
>
<
>
Miniatures games are a great hobby for anyone with a ton of money and time to blow on something that in my case is collecting dust in a box under my bed. I worked in a gaming store for about 7 years so I was able to purchase all of my goods at cost but I still have several thousand dollars in pseudo-pewter and cheap plastic. I also had time to paint and assemble while on the clock so I was able to build little starter armies and squads to demo with.<
>
<
>
Needless to say the models fragile and expensive and eventually GW just puts out a new edition and makes you buy all new models to prove your fervor as a gamer. Successful "casual" gamers are definitely a minority in this sort of thing. You either jump in feet first or you'd be better off playing EQ for $15 a month.<
>
<
>
My Space Ork army was reknowned in the area for being cheesy and unbalanced but of course I still got the win. As like any hobby people are passionate about this sort of thing and I retired when I got married because I didn't want whiny any children in my life that I didn't conceive. Rules lawyers irriated me too but thankfully I knew the rules better than most of them so I didn't allow them to take advantage or upset the less knowledgable players. It almost started a few fights at some points but I always had the power just not to let the antagonist return for another night of gaming.<
>
<
>
I'm not sure any of this is any help to you but I suggest you attend a Rogue Trader tournament in your area and see if this is something that you're interested in devoting yourself to. Its a hobby that requires skill, talent, and critical thinking not to mention affluence and a whole lot of patience.<
>
<
>
Fateseer Liin Edud<
>
Soothsayer of Forsaken Visage <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:28 PM 

I'm with Siro, I played Orks for 40k, it was awesome, but third ed. rules just kinda lost the flavor. I prefered total domination long ass games. Victory point bullshit was meh. <i></i>