It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:20 PM 

There is a god...my girlfriend who grew up as a "valley" girl thinking video games were for people without friends asked if next weekend I could teach her to play a game (I have bitching that going to the club is pointless and costing me to much cash).<
>
<
>
Unforntunatly I have a feeling I have one shot at this to get her hooked and getting her to play games would make my decision regarding the relationship a slam dunk. So please give me some suggestions (girls opinions would be greatly welcomed).<
>
<
>
She said she is open to anything...but I know most rpg's/strats are going to be to slow paced to get her hooked right away and I am thinking a 2 player co-op game would be the best. I have a ps2, computer and laptop. Something that isn't to difficult but takes some practice to get good at and has a point. If I had my snes down here I would play secret of mana with her.<
>
<
>
Right now I am considering Kingdom Hearts I since eventually I would love to have her play RPG's and KH really has a good story she can relate to etc but it might be better to do something we can play together. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:34 PM 

returntoarms.station.sony.com/<
>
<
>
It's based on Everquest but plays like Diablo. If you decide to get it I will buy a Playstation and play with you. If you don't get it, I will buy a playstation and play many RPG's alone.<
>
<
>
<
>
From the FAQ:<
>
Quote:What is Champions: Return to Arms(TM)?<
>
Published by Sony Online Entertainment (the creators of EverQuest(R)) and developed by Snowblind Studios, Champions: Return to Arms is the powerful sequel to the must-have action-RPG of 2004 Champions of Norrath&#153; for the PlayStation&reg;2 computer entertainment system. Champions Return to Arms offers up to 100 hours of gameplay per player character. Players take on a role as any one of seven races (or you can import your character from the first game in the series). You can either adventure alone or with up to three friends (online or offline via Multitap) in a fantasy world set within the EverQuest world. <
>
<
>
<
>
What's the premise? What's the story like?<
>
The story picks up after Innoruuk the Prince of Hate has been defeated and shattered into shards of hate that were strewn across the Planes of Power. Champions have been summoned to serve either the forces of Good or the legions of Evil. You must choose your path. You may either roam the planes, searching and destroying the shards to rid the world forever of the blight of Innoruuk; or you may gather the shards to resurrect your fallen prince. The choice is yours.<
>
<
>
<
>
Where does Champions: Return to Arms take place?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms encompasses many of the familiar lands of EverQuest and is set several hundred years before the timeline of the current EverQuest PC game. The players' journeys will take them through the Planes of Power. The Planes represent different themed areas which will be very familiar to EverQuest players and will be engaging to those new to the world. Some of the Planes that players will get to explore are: The Plane of War, The Plane of Innovation and The Plane of Air.<
>
<
>
<
>
What&#146;s different in Champions: Return to Arms from Champions of Norrath?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms features two new playable races. It also includes new multiplayer options such as head-to-head arena duels, non-linear side-quest Medal Rounds with unlockable secrets, and changing storylines based on player decisions. There are also expanded online features, new kills and spells for all classes, more monsters, more items, more levels, and more fun!<
>
<
>
<
>
When was it released?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms is expected to ship to retail stores on Fe
uary 7, 2005.<
>
<
>
<
>
What is the ESRB rating for Champions: Return to Arms?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms is rated T for Teen (Blood & Gore, Violence).<
>
<
>
<
>
Can I play Champions: Return to Arms with my friends?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms offers both single player and multiplayer action. The game features an online multiplayer component at no additional cost to players*, allowing up to four players to adventure in Norrath over the Internet using the Network Adaptor (sold separately) for the PlayStation 2. Players can also import their characters into friends' games and then take them home to play solo - the play options offer console gamers the freedom to play anytime and from any location. A group of four can also play on a single PlayStation 2 using the Multitap (sold separately). <
>
*(Internet connection required for online multiplayer game modes, online connection fees are the responsibility of the user). <
>
<
>
<
>
Can I play Champions: Return to Arms online?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms allows a player to join up to three other players for online gaming using the Network Adaptor for the PlayStation 2. Players can play via
oadband connections through SOE's matchmaking service.<
>
<
>
<
>
Is a monthly fee required to play?<
>
There is no monthly fee for Champions: Return to Arms.<
>
<
>
<
>
Is this a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG?<
>
No. Champions: Return to Arms is a single-player-focused console action game. While there is an online component, the game is centered on an exciting campaign designed for a single player. <
>
<
>
<
>
How is Champions: Return to Arms different from other console RPGs?<
>
Champions: Return to Arms combines the intensity of an action game with the depth found in most console role playing experiences. With thousands of items, multiple unique skills and spells, and randomly generated content, the replayability of Champions: Return to Arms goes far beyond any action RPG found on console to date. --Paying for music or movies is so 1990.<i>Edited by: Finlainea  at: 5/1/06 1:41 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:28 AM 

I dont know if theres a new incarnation of it but Puzzle Fighter used to be THE gf-game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:49 AM 

Any incarnation of Mario games might do the trick if you have those systems. Simple, fun.<
>
<
>
Guitar Hero for PS2 is pretty fun. Can't really play head 2 head without 2 guitar controllers, but if she likes any classic rock songs, this would be fun.<
>
<
>
Sports games are out I assume.<
>
<
>
As Jalen mentioned, puzzle games are usually pretty safe.<
>
<
>
If she likes those drama TV shows, maybe pick up the computer version of X-Files, CSI, Law & Order, etc. Where you play to solve the case. Shadow Jeris Elvenblade<
>
70th Season Nemesis<
>
Magelo Profile<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:08 AM 

Mario Party <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:19 AM 

buy a gamecube and get a mario game. any of them- party series, sports ones (they are fun games, so even if she is not a sports fan she will still enjoy), action, etc. $150 and enjoy.<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 AM 

Although they're not multiplayer, The Sims and Animal Crossing are the gateway video games. And the first try is always free. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 AM 

get her hooked on the sims. 99% of the women I know who dont even play many/any videogames like the sims...heck my mom plays the sims. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:55 AM 

Whatever you end up getting, make sure, at least in the beginning, that she wins 60% of the games. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:32 PM 

Harvest Moon <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:58 PM 

Best success I had with this was actually
eaking out the old dreamcast and playing house of the dead 2 with 2 lightguns. She loved it, was so far into it she was hurling curses when she ran out of ammo in the middle of a boss fight and was killed while reloading. Is cooperative (living), but is competitive (points). Let her win, or come close to winning, in points, and she will be hooked. <
>
<
>
Chey Ironfounder, Member of the VGRPU<
>
<
>
http://www.rpunion.com/forums/portal.php<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:15 PM 

Haha I actually looked at Harvest Moon today <
>
<
>
I might try the sequal to Champions of Norrath since it was actually a pretty fun game when playing with some one, if I can get her hooked at that style a game then there is hope for true rpg's in the future. <
>
<
>
Which is the best Sim's game in your wives/gf's opinions? She looked at one at the game store abit but then abunch of werid guys came in and she didn't want to be seen in there with them (sadly just going in there was a big step for her)<
>
<
>
Don't worry Fin once I get settled down in Phoenix abit more and get her playing games we will get back to slewing things I promise. Go play Disgaea if you haven't while you wait for me !!<
>
<
>
edit: Thats the game I was talking about Fin, let me try it out with her and if she likes it I'll let you know on MSN. <i>Edited by: TurboPowa at: 5/1/06 5:17 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:00 PM 

If she played with dolls as a kid at all, get the Sims, it's a slam dunk.<
>
<
>
As far as which Sims is best...hmm if she's an animal lover, go with the Sims pet addition thing. Sims Hot Date sucked, House Party is pretty cool. The Magic edition is a lot of fun but only if she likes gothic shit and Harry Potter, Vacation kinda blew. So I'd go with House Party, the pet edition whatever that was called, and the basic Sims game. Or whatever they have in a package now. Then download some more options for her, like skins, wallpaper, etc. <
>
<
>
Also you might want to invest in a DS and get Nintendogs. Even Satan loves nintendogs 'cause they're so cute!<
>
<
>
The Birth of Tarot (NSFW)<
><
>
Keep my head from exploding?...<b>You can help!</b><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 PM 

the sims 2 is quite fun, way more customization of your sims with facial features and everything. And you can pick up the first sims "complete collection" for like $45 which is the origional sims and the first 6 or so expansions, plenty enough to keep someone busy for a while. Good thing about the sims also is you can go online and DL countless skins/textures/etc for more and more and more options. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:54 PM 

Try puzzle games...<
>
<
>
If you can find "super puzzle fighter 2 turbo" that game is awesome.<
>
<
>
My wife also likes gauntlet games. <
>
<
>
She loved harvest moon and animal crossing ( the decorating the house thing in animal crossing). <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:33 PM 

Sims 2 kinda sucks. I don't know why, I mean...I love the series. My computer could run the game without problem. But I just didn't like it as much as the rest of the Sims series. I'm not completely sure why. <
>
<
>
The reason that so many women enjoy Sims (and btw I did not play with Barbie growing up, though I did behead a Ken doll once...) is the designer aspect. I'm not the typical woman in that I'm not a huge fan of shopping. I'm not really into alot of foofy shit. But I loved designing houses. It was a lot of fun. I spent more time doing that than almost anything else.<
>
<
>
My favorite thing was Sim serial killing. Mwhaha. <
>
<
>
I was thinking about other games she might like.<
>
<
>
Morrowind is extremely fun, in that it's very open ended and allows people to do various things. I'd recommend Oblivion more though, because the character models are prettier (and you can custom design them better), and the graphics are utter jesus, and the game play is really good. You can set the difficulty level very low, so combat is cake, until she gets used to playing the game. There's a lot of fetch and carry quests though, and not as many puzzle oriented quests.<
>
<
>
NWNs is great in terms of a more guided walkthrough, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first time game. You spend too much time learning to play the game before you can jump in, and I could see someone new to gaming getting frustrated. If you think she'd like that style though, pick up Dark Alliance I or II for the gamecube or xbox. It's Baulder's Gate style gaming, and multiplayer. <
>
<
>
My husband is very much NOT a gamer and loved it.<
>
<
>
Guitar hero as recommended was a good idea. I wouldn't recommend Harvest Moon only because I didn't like it. Though I did like Animal Crossing, but got bored with it kinda quickly. <
>
<
>
I would STRONGLY recommend either KOTOR game if she really likes Star Wars. If she doesn't and likes vampires at all, I'd get Vampire teh Masquerade: Bloodlines. MAKE SURE TO PATCH THE SHIT OUT OF IT FIRST. It was super buggy on release, but it's stable now. Troika went out of business but if you google around there's a group of ppl that wrote content and bug patches beyond what they did which is good shit. Bloodlines is REALLY fun. So is Masquerade.<
>
<
>
American McGee's Alice is a great game, one that I really enjoyed and I don't normally like first person shooters. It was just entertaining as hell and the design was great. <
>
<
>
If I had to bet money on finding ONE game that a woman would like, I'd pick the Sims though. It's really hard to miss with that. And I'd go with the first edition Sim games (tho get house party and the pets one and stuff) first, then try Sims2 if she loves the first one. Also be sure to show her where she can download add-ons online. Seven deadly Sims is a good place, and there's others. Some places have pay-for-use content that's actually worthwhile and not too expensive. The Sims's site has most of the links out there. <
>
<
>
I'll probably add on more later as I think of things.<
>
<
>
I also loved Gladius (xbox, gamecube). It was a really fun game. The Birth of Tarot (NSFW)<
><
>
Keep my head from exploding?...<b>You can help!</b><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 AM 

Thanks Tarot, appreciate the detailed suggestions. One note that might put my girlfriend in perspective....having never seen the Harry Potter series I rented the latest version on one of our movie nights just to give it a try. Needless to say I was forced to watch 8 straight "Tera Girls" to make up for renting Harry Potter heh.<
>
<
>
My dream is for her to catch on to a fantasy settings style of games to some extent and eventually play MMORPG's again (casually as my career shoots down any type of hardcore playing ever again ) But I understand I have to try to ease her in slowly and get past the typical video games are for losers mentality that was drilled in her growing up. Luckily she is willing to try it out as it is important to me so if all goes as planned I could be dropping nuke bombs in a few years once again!<
>
<
>
Keep the feedback coming, greatly appreciate it... Friday is the big day. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:54 PM 

Let me give you some advice, without knowing everything about your relationship ;p<
>
<
>
If she came to YOU and said she'd be willing to try playing a videogame of your choice, there should be no question whatsoever in your head whether or not you should pursue her. What it indicates to me is that she recognized how important a part of your free time video games are and made a conscious decision to work at learning to enjoy them. You will never find a girl like that again... hell you rarely find PEOPLE like that. Do not let her go ;p<
>
<
>
All that being said, you might consider Gauntlet: Legends. The Gauntlet series kicks ass with the exception of Seven Sorrows, it's two player, it's got a very simple levelling/stat/upgrade system, and it's endlessly repeatable. If you're going for just engrossing gaming, I definitely second House of the Dead as well. That had to be my most addictive shooter when I played them ;p <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:19 PM 

Thanks for the advice and even though she did come to me and she has been living with me basically for 2 months I had to
eak up with her tonight realizing that while she was an amazing girl unfortunately in the long run looks were not going to get us through the hard parts of a relationship <
>
<
>
So alas back to the clubs, maybe I will pick up vanguard again until the next girll <
>
<
>
Thanks again, its nice to have people to turn to who have been there and have valid advice. Other then work related sites this is actually the only site I ever use on the internet on a regular basis. Looking from an outsie perspective its sad that one more day could of ment her getting involed with gaming and maybe liking it and completely changing our relationship but oh well...thankfully its cinco day ...well you know that mexican holiday that means many a folks are drinking tonight Appreciate the info, and thanks again. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:08 PM 

That mean you can play games with me now? --Paying for music or movies is so 1990.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:42 PM 

Look what you guys did! You manage to destroy his relationship with your advice in 4 whole days! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:18 AM 

Sorry was drinking and abit sappy last night <
>
<
>
Probably no MMORPG fin at the moment but find a good game and we can slew some shit. <i></i>