It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battle.Net RealID
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
You're all cool with the changes, I guess?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Battle.Net RealID
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:46 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Been following the debate on the Penny Arcade forums, I'm reserving judgment till I see what they ultimately end up rolling out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
On the forums, it's really a terrible idea. Tim over at CAD had a perfectly fine idea to just create a RealID nickname that you make once and can't change to use instead of the real name...so you're still accountable and still keeping your name off the forums that millions can read.

I shouldn't be forced into posting my real name to get tech support on a video game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I expect them to pull back and do a unique ID (as many have suggested) and it will be well received. I also wouldn't be surprised if that was thier plan all along and this is a way to have it look like a compromise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I don't think Activision will budge on this. Personally I don't really care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I don't care either. Don't most of us already use real names on Facebook?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Don't most of us already use real names on Facebook?
That's my personal problem with this. I do use Facebook. If I want to tie my real name into something, I want to use Facebook Connect. This proprietary system that you can use to span multiple games, when I only intend to ever play one (I'd rather be raped in jail than pay for SC2 and D3), is stupid.

Besides, the upsides for them converting to this seem small compared to the possible downsides. Addons that can see your personal information? One development bug that reverts archived posts to real names, even temporarily? Lots of potential bad PR in this move. All of the negative publicity Facebook has gotten for privacy... They really want to take that on? Ok...

Besides, Blizzard can implement their shitty concept into the game without using it on the forums. It seems like a way to kill the boards without actually killing the boards. Just kill the goddamn boards if that's what you want to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:42 PM 

This is Activision thinking they can take on Xbox Live, not a Blizzard thing. You're going to see similar for Call of Duty soon, as well as a pay to play Call of Duty platform.

Same with all the dumb Guitar Hero shit.

Just look at all the hokey bullshit they had to do to convince the Koreans to jump on this train. A free copy of Starcraft 2 as long as they maintain an active WoW subscription? Fucking pied piper.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 PM 

Activision: Glad you could make it, Blizzard.

Blizzard: Watch your tone with me, Bob. You may be the boss, but I'm lining your pockets with money.

Activison: As if I could forget. Listen, Blizzard, there's something about the forums you should know. Oh no. It's too late. These people have all been trolled. They may look fine now, but it's a matter of time before they nerd rage.

Blizzard: What?

Activison: Your entire forums must be purged.

Blizzard: How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way

Activison: Damn it, Blizzard. As your master, I order you to RealID these forums!

Blizzard: You are not my master, bob. Nor would I obey that command if you were!

Activison: Then I must consider forcing this.

Blizzard: Forcing it? Have you lost your mind, Activison?

Activison: Have I? Lord Blizzard, by my endless resources and sovereignty of my company, I hereby program your forums with RealID.

WoWplayers: Activison, you can't just...

Activison: It's done! Those of you who have the will to make more money, follow me! The rest of you... get out of my sight.

Blizzard: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Activison.

Activison: Subscribers?

WoWplayers: I'm sorry, Activison. We can't watch you do this. .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 PM 

It's already possible for add ons to get your real ID.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:53 PM 

That's fake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Looks like they already caved a bit:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as conversation threading, the ability to rate posts up or down, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

Mike Morhaime
CEO & Cofounder
Blizzard Entertainment

Idiots

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:34 AM 

Quote:
That's fake.
The exploit I saw allowed you to post a command to whisper your realID to yourself. Presumably an addon could do that and collect that data somehow. It could be fake, but you still shouldn't have that exposed in game. Blizzard may think they have it closed up tight, but computing history should teach them different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:01 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

It was a security flaw patched the very next day, you can't do it any longer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:02 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Solanthious wrote:
It was a security flaw patched the very next day, you can't do it any longer.

That's a negative ghostrider. Expect a new POC (actually, about 6) with half released soon, the rest if the codebase remains the same at release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:45 AM 

Even it was patched, there will be more.

Offline Profile