It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starcraft 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Anyone making any headway on the ladder?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:23 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Nope this game is boring now. Moved on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:57 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I was making steady progress up my Bronze (lol) ladder but I've been at the #3 spot for a while. The game keeps getting ready to promote me to silver and putting me up against tougher opponents, but I keep failing to live up to its expectations so it keeps me exactly where I am. I'm so ashamed, I just want to make you proud Blizzard Matchmaking System.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:16 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Givin Wetwillies wrote:

What I'm noticing is it's playing out just like WoW did; where everyone subscribes to some top player's "favorite build".

I've now had probably 10 or 20 terran players build and attack me in the exact same order. If you make a single build mistake early in the game you'll be done in like 8 or 9 minutes. Almost every game I've seen or been in doesn't even get to where folks are researching techs or higher unit tiers...it's all ZOMG RUSH RUSH RUSH..

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:07 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Larreth wrote:
Givin Wetwillies wrote:

What I'm noticing is it's playing out just like WoW did; where everyone subscribes to some top player's "favorite build".

I've now had probably 10 or 20 terran players build and attack me in the exact same order. If you make a single build mistake early in the game you'll be done in like 8 or 9 minutes. Almost every game I've seen or been in doesn't even get to where folks are researching techs or higher unit tiers...it's all ZOMG RUSH RUSH RUSH..

Yep everyone rushes and the only way to counter is to rush too with the same units.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:18 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
bottleneck your entrance and do some recon early on to plan your counter, about all there is to it.

Terran are so damn lucky with their scan...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:12 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Never fear, there are 2 more additions to Starcraft 2 still due out! :D It may already be boring at $60, but when you reach $180, it will be awesome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Though I did come up with a very entertaining way to disrupt an economy: I've noticed a LOT of folks defend the hell out of the front and perhaps middle of their bases yet completely neglect the area behind their resource patches.

I now make a Raven and park it outside my base in an area that won't be attacked and not likely to be scanned/scouted. Once it gets to 200 energy I zoom it over to their base and more often than not they've no Air defenses. Since I have 200 energy I can plant all 4 auto guns at once...right in the middle of their harvesters. It's nothing short of devastating. I took out 35 harvesters in seconds and the 4 guns managed to take out a fairly large pack of marines and even marauders. Once they were down the autoguns actually took out a barracks and got his command center down to red health before they timed out. I was able to piggyback that attack with a few banshees that took out the remaining health and completely disrupted his progress.

From there I leapfrogged over to his other 2 bases where he was frantically making missle defenses, but it was too late.

Ravens = Fun.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:09 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Yikes!

Quote:
Blizzard Bans Single Player Cheaters(Link)

by Joe Sinicki on Oct 10, 2010

BACKGROUND:
On October 1, 2010, Blizzard began the unprecedented act of suspending and banning players for the use of cheats and trainers in SINGLE PLAYER games of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Users found to be using cheats in SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN MODE and AI SKIRMISH mode were treated the same as if they had cheated in a multiplayer online match. For some, their accounts were suspended and for others their CD keys were disabled and they were completely locked out of playing even campaign mode in their legally purchased game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheat Happens user gm0ney has yet to play Blizzard’s much anticipated Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty online. He’s spent the majority of his time playing through the game’s campaign and AI skirmish matches, which makes the email he received that much stranger. “Offense: Terms of Use Violation - Exploitative Activity: Unauthorized cheat programs (‘hacks’). Account Action: 14 day (336 hour) suspension.” The user had been suspended, for using the trainer for Starcraft 2 created and distributed by CheatHappens.com, strictly against AI opponents. “Gm0ney” isn’t alone either, Blizzard’s actions have left many Cheat Happens users with a suspension or much worse, a lifetime ban, it also has many wondering - is it legal?

“I was mostly shocked,” Cheat Happens gm0ney said of the ban e-mail. “Although with all of the news about bans and suspensions coming up, I was somewhat prepared. Blizzard has made it very public in the few months since the game’s release that they would take immediate action against anyone found cheating in any form of StarCraft 2. “We take cheating in our games very seriously,” said a Blizzard spokesperson in a press release. “If you’re caught cheating in Starcraft 2, Blizzard, as per the terms in the EULA reserves the right to ban your battle.net account and/or CD key from ever playing again, online or off. In essence, it’s the language of the EULA that’s in question in the argument as Blizzard states that “playing anything other than an unaltered game client violates the Battle.net terms or use. “We strongly recommend that you avoid using any hacks, cheats or exploits.”

“The company already had our money so they didn’t care about our accounts.”

Still though, some question Blizzard’s motives. “I’m surprised they took such a blind step without doing some research into the games played,” gm0ney added. The user has been through a similar situation before, with another game -- where he suspects the company had monetary motivations for the bans, “A bunch of people’s accounts got hacked and used cheats, so we all got banned. The company already had our money so they didn’t care about our accounts.” Many people, including Cheat Happens’ Business Operations Manager and Content Editor Chris O’Rorke, believe that Blizzard is also thinking monetarily, and points to the company’s blockbuster MMO World of Warcraft as evidence. In WoW, which (unlike Starcraft 2) carries with it a monthly fee, users who are found to be cheating are only handed temporary bans as to not interrupt the monthly flow of cash coming from those users.

A blizzard spokesperson defended the company and its actions, saying that the bannings were done in an effort to be fair to all users rather than for money. In an e-mail to a Cheat Happens user appealing their suspension, the company claims that single player Starcraft 2 games have an effect on multiplayer. “While single player games only appear to be you and a computer at first, your achievements and gamer score also carries weight and prestige for your online play,” read the email.

O’Rorke scoffs at the reply. “Our trainers help put the control back in the hands of the end-user and let them play the game the way they want to play it. Through our cheats and trainers, we try and enhance the games by offering the player new and different ways of playing. As long as these cheats don’t affect anyone but the person using them, why does anyone care? It’s not affecting any type of online ladders or standings or interrupting another person’s game. Some people argue that “achievements” can easily be gained by using cheats and this is the reason for banning people. Again, achievements are meant to mark a certain individual’s milestones within the game. They have no bearing on multiplayer standings, matches or games, regardless of what Blizzard might say. You can’t tell me that an individual’s single player achievements have any bearing on the multiplayer match of two completely different and random people on the other side of the globe. If the achievements were such a big deal, then why not simply disable them or disable a user’s ability to participate in online matches? There is no good reason to completely disable someone’s legally purchased game just because they cheated in single player mode and might one day play a multiplayer match. If Blizzard has the technology to detect single player cheats and trainers, surely they have the ability to merely disable or deactivate achievements just as they do when using the game's built-in cheat codes.”

“I don’t think it’s fair and I would even go as far as to question its legality.”

O’Rorke says that when he heard about the bans, he was surprised. “I don’t think it’s fair and I would even go as far as to question its legality. I can completely understand, and even support, the banning of users that are intentionally cheating multiplayer games as this affects more than just the person doing the cheating,” said O’Rorke. “However, banning people for cheating in a single player game is utterly ridiculous.” O’Rorke adds that if you were to take the situation out of the gaming world, it seems even more ridiculous. “Would you buy a car if you knew that if you decided to switch out the factory stereo with a better, third party stereo, that someone would come and repossess your car in the middle of the night simply for doing so? It's a ridiculous proposition." O'Rorke continues by saying “Having been in the cheating business for over 13 years now, I’ve learned that people cheat for many different reasons. Some people have time constraints and want to be able to experience the entire game, so they cheat through the most difficult parts in order to reach the end. Some people might be older or handicapped or simply not possess the fast-twitch reflexes of a 12 year old which seems to be a requirement of some games these days. Ultimately, cheats and trainers help game publishers and are the reason that companies other than Blizzard don't start throwing out bans for single player use. Who is more likely to purchase additional DLC and sequels to a game, someone frustrated half way through that cannot finish the game or someone that was able to enjoy all the game had to offer, albeit with the use of cheats?”

So is there any way around the bans for those who cheat in single-player content? Apparently not, according to email correspondence received from Blizzard which states “Following a review of your case, we can confirm that the evidence presented was correct, and that the subsequent action taken was appropriate. Our decision in this matter stands, and will not be overturned. Please note, it is our policy never to reveal details regarding account investigations, beyond the information given in the original notice mail, for privacy and security reasons. We now consider this matter closed, and would not look to enter into further communication on the matter.” Mike Yurgalavage, Lead Trainer Programmer for Cheat Happens, finds this response almost comical. “Imagine if you were arrested for something and the legal system worked the same way. You would be accused and convicted without even knowing what you were accused of exactly nor how they got the evidence,” says Yurgalavage. Regardless, O’Rorke states that the situation won’t change how Cheat Happens does business in the future.

“We will continue to produce cheats and trainers that work in single player games because we believe it is each person’s right to be able to fully enjoy what each game has to offer,” O’Rorke said of his website. “It may take extra time on our part to safely separate the trainer's functions so that they only work in single player modes, but we will not simply give up and deny our users the ability to cheat in a game that they have purchased just because Blizzard doesn't care about their customers. Blizzard is the real loser here. By lumping all cheaters into the same category and banning people for using single player cheats, they are losing the support of gamers around the world.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 AM 

What it boils down to is Blizzard cracking down on people playing the single player campaign online and racking up achievements with cheats. Awwww poor cheaters can't get all the fancy achievement scores.

The story and link is from a site that creates/promotes game cheats. Obviously its going to distort the information as much as possible so don't read it as gospel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The single-player achievements aren't particularly hard to get anyway. I don't get why someone would cheat to get them, other than maybe a few missions on brutal which are doable with a little practice... but I just find it that much more absurb that Blizzard would ban over single-player achievements. They're pointless to get in the first place.

Even with that said it just makes online-only play even for single-player an even more disturbing trend among developers. What people do with a product once they bought should be largely up to them so long as no one else suffers or others' gameplay is hampered as a result.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:54 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
The single-player achievements aren't particularly hard to get anyway. I don't get why someone would cheat to get them, other than maybe a few missions on brutal which are doable with a little practice... but I just find it that much more absurb that Blizzard would ban over single-player achievements. They're pointless to get in the first place.

Even with that said it just makes online-only play even for single-player an even more disturbing trend among developers. What people do with a product once they bought should be largely up to them so long as no one else suffers or others' gameplay is hampered as a result.

Said people can play offline and cheat to their heart's content.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:47 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
You can play Starcraft 2 offline?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 PM 

Yea that piqued my interest as well, and after a little Google I found that you can indeed via the "sign in as guest" feature. Apparently you have to sign in again after 30 days to revalidate it, and you can't get achievements... but, that's nice to know at least. Fribur is saved!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

uh... I don't care about Starcraft 2! I want to play Civ 5!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 PM 

Cmon Frib, expand your gaming horizons! I enjoy both, honestly, but it depends on the mood I'm in. Admittedly though I've only had time for one epic(or was it one level below?)-length game of Civ 5 so far. I'm hoping to get more face-time in when I get a break from work. I'm still a little disappointed with some of the aspects missing from Civ 4 =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:08 AM 

I couldn't even finish the campaign in SC2, it was so boring, uninspired and unoriginal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:49 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

SC2 is more about multiplayer, no?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:17 PM 

Pretty much, yup. I have yet to actually meet anyone who walked into a store and bought an RTS for its single-player content. 4x strategy is a different story. Blizz also sucks at storytelling/plotlines, so that goes without saying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:55 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Is there anyone that frequents these forums in the Gold 1v1 league or higher?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:28 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

joxur wrote:
I couldn't even finish the campaign in SC2, it was so boring, uninspired and unoriginal.

Indeed, but I did enjoy the whole reasearch thing where your units got neat little benefits.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 PM 

Quote:
Is there anyone that frequents these forums in the Gold 1v1 league or higher?

I'm platinum for 1v1, but honestly that doesn't mean much. Played a lot early on but I really haven't had much time to play lately. At this point I'm probably behind the curve and I'd get wrecked a bit, heh. Ranking system is a bit whacked, but I realize it's not easy to make such a system and have it mean something. I've heard of people getting into diamond after some 15-20 games played, but it took me a couple weeks to edge into platinum even with fairly consistent wins. I suspect that's because I lost a number of games early on and it's probably easier to get into a high rank via original placement and then keep winning from there.

I do pretty much nothing but random though, so learning the different races took some time. I'm a sucker for the e-peen portraits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Venen wrote:
Blizz also sucks at storytelling/plotlines, so that goes without saying.

lol

Offline Profile