It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:04 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starcraft 2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
I have no interest in SC2, but a friend linked this to me today

http://beta-us.battle.net/en/info/digital-purchase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Blocked from work, what's it say?

Have you never been a fan of RTSs Khameir? I'm quite confident the single player campaign will exceed most expectations. Heck, the cinematics alone will be nearly worth the price of admission.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:25 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
It's basically a "download now, play when it's released after you purchase" thing.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Have you never been a fan of RTSs Khameir? I'm quite confident the single player campaign will exceed most expectations. Heck, the cinematics alone will be nearly worth the price of admission
lol. What? The cinematics will be worth 60 bucks? The next year is going to be awesome reading your posts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Well, it's not like the cinematics will appear on YouTube the same time as the game is released.... :clock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Way to take me super literally...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:00 PM 

Not to defend Argrax's fanboyism, but there's a rather long list of 50 and 60 dollar games that deliver about 5 bucks worth of gametime. You're really saying the three games split up is a ripoff in today's game market? I mean, really?

SC2 in its current state will end up eating at least 200-300 hours for the average RTS connoisseur. Anything less and I'm sorry to say you simply aren't a fan of RTS games(or simply lack the skill and strategy for it to be enjoyable for you). While it is a copycat of SC1, most of the usual implementations you'd expect from a modern-day RTS(well, minus the couple complaints I had in earlier posts here) as well as the new units make it fresh enough to enjoy for its own sake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:02 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Argrax wrote:
Have you never been a fan of RTSs Khameir?

Have I ever been an RTS fan, not really? I'm not completely unfamiliar with the genre and actually do own the original Starcraft (when I added the CD key to my Battle net account, they upgraded my base game to an Anthology). I just am not nearly as excited as 90% of the people looking forward to this game.

I've played the Beta (rather extensively with some friends) and from my experience this is a graphical update on a 10 year old RTS. There is nothing new or exciting, same old Starcraft just prettier. Just as people bitch and moan that every recent MMO copies WoW this game copies itself without adding anything. For me, it isn't enough to blow $60. Maybe one of these days I'll buy it on the cheap along with the 2 forthcoming add-ons/expansions if for no other reason then to just have them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
I have played all the Warcraft titles, but, never StarCraft, but, I am looking into StarCraft II.

This is pretty interesting for someone who does not know the story line.

Everything you need to know about Starcraft II

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Someone tell me that this doesn't look awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfWM-A

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Not a bad TV spot but the whole way through I was wishing it was a real movie and not a dumb game commercial. I liked it better when it was called Warhammer 40k.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
So Blizzard can make a great and wonderful looking CGI trailer for one of their games. Wow. I am shocked.

I really don't get why people get so excited about CGI video for a game that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game play. Don't get me wrong- I like Starcraft, still have the battle chest edition on my PC. But I guess I can differentiate between a CGI movie and gameplay. And I won't get worked up over video until the gameplay actually looks like that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
who got overly excited about that CGI intro?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:30 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

cicely wrote:
So Blizzard can make a great and wonderful looking CGI trailer for one of their games. Wow. I am shocked.

I really don't get why people get so excited about CGI video for a game that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game play. Don't get me wrong- I like Starcraft, still have the battle chest edition on my PC. But I guess I can differentiate between a CGI movie and gameplay. And I won't get worked up over video until the gameplay actually looks like that...

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Lord Traxor wrote:
who got overly excited about that CGI intro?

I'll do it so he doesn't feel silly....

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT DUDE IS THAT IN GAME FOOTAGE?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? THIS GAME IS SO INSANE BADASS MAN IM STANDING IN LINE FOR IT NOW!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

Problem: Starcraft 2 sucks. Solution: Ban game-reviews

Quote:
No StarCraft 2 Reviews Before Lunch

In what journalists are calling a “Dick Move”, Blizzard has announced that there will be no reviews of StarCraft 2 before lunch. Would-be reviewers are going to have to wait until after everybody in the office has had lunch before posting their review of the hotly anticipated RTS.

Wait, hang on. Sorry, I misread my RSS feed. Blizzard has announced there will be no StarCraft 2 reviews before launch. Before the game’s launch, on Tuesday, when the BattleNet servers go live. According to Eurogamer Blizzard was “unable to offer an official comment at the time of writing”, though they gather that it’s to do with Blizzard not wanting anybody to play the game without the full suite of BattleNet features. What did you have for lunch today, readers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:52 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Non-story. Obviously, the fact that people have been playing the SC2 Beta for MONTHS (and really enjoying it) is proof enough to any person able to form their own thoughts that SC2 is not going to "suck."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

From what I have read, the gameplay itself is good, but, there is a lot of issues (i.e. not being able to play on a LAN server, or the fact you have to buy multiple games to get the whole set.) that have hardcore gamers upset.

Some people say it is the same game with better graphics, and not really all that much change in actual content. Me, I am still waiting till after it launches to see what I am going to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

The game is extraordinary and extremely well polished, it will be a smash hit. And before someone tags me with the fanboy label, which wouldn't neccessarily be unjustified, I'll put my money where my mouth is if somebody wants to disagree with what I said.

The fact that there's no LAN support or that they'll be two expansions in addition to the original release is news that's 6+ months old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:50 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

How many products did you need to buy to get the whole EQ1 set?

That seems like a silly argument.

The lack of playing over a LAN is a problem, but something that our hacker friends should be able to resolve quickly. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:54 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:

That seems like a silly argument.

The lack of playing over a LAN is a problem, but something that our hacker friends should be able to resolve quickly. :)

But, for EQ, those were REAL Expansions.

What if you had to buy a whole new game to play every EQ Race?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:

1 product. You buy the latest expansion you get every expansion that came before too. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:51 PM 

Quote:
But, for EQ, those were REAL Expansions.

What if you had to buy a whole new game to play every EQ Race?

And how exactly will the other SC2 packs NOT be real expansions? As someone on here mentioned previously, Wings of Liberty will have more single-player campaign content than all of SC1's campaigns combined and then some. If there is enough polished, quality content(which it sounds like there will be for every pack, judging from this one), how does that NOT justify a full expansion price? We don't even know what additional features(which I wouldn't doubt) there will be that come with those, either.

Like I said, I have a few issues with the game as it stands, but show me a better, more balanced, and more polished RTS out there right now. Just one. It doesn't exist.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:43 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

You guys are seriously entertaining his argument?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

While I personally don't like the game for my aforementioned reasons, I have no doubt that it'll sell. I do however think that not allowing gaming press to have review copies of the FULL game available is just bad/shady shit.

This says to me one of three things. Either the retail release is being shipped bugged as fuck and they're hoping as all fuck to get as much of those bugs worked out before Tuesday so they can patch it.

Or, Blizzard are banking solely off the existing player base and pre-established hype to sell it. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest considering that Korean WoW Players get SC2 for free (if they have an active WoW Account) and they're actually doing Digital Distribution.

Or, the situation could be completely unrelated to Blizzard themselves, as this would more be a decision Activision made. And Activision aren't really gaming presses favorite people right now (I could point to the 10000000x different articles about Kotick, the IW lawsuits, etc etc)...so I can see them being childish and bitter about that by not allowing review copies to go out.

I'm leaning more towards the last one...but oh well. Everyone enjoy July 27th, the day South Korea falls off the grid :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:22 PM 

Highly doubt it's due to bugs unless it's from the single-player campaign, which doesn't seem too likely given the nearly bug-free multiplayer for months and months.

I doubt that Blizzard is too worried about reviews. No intelligent reviewer will give this anything less than an 85 or 90. You'll get some people who don't really understand the new mechanics and gameplay who say it's the same as SC1, but I have at least some faith that most of the top reviewers aren't quite that dumb. I mean don't get me wrong, there are some stupids among the game reviewing elite, but SC2 makes it painfully obvious for anyone who spends more than a few hours with it that it's a different game altogether.

I'd chalk it up to an issue of fairness. The game is going to be the most fun to watch and play on the first day and the coming weeks(assuming battle.net holds up for the most part.. and of course, there will be some issues) because the multiplayer spectrum gets to see its most diverse playerbase, and everyone is competing against each other. It wouldn't be fair to the game to leave that period out of the entertainment value(at least IMO) when conceiving a review, and it especially wouldn't be fair if you just looked at the single-player content and never really got a handle on what multiplayer would be like for the average person post-launch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:38 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

People who want the game are going to buy the game, reviews be damned. People on the fence might be swayed by positive reviews, but negative reviews will just mean they have another reason to pass on it. The bottom line is an early, pre-release review isn't going to matter one way or another. So again, Blizzard not allowing early reviews is really a non-issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:31 PM 

I bought Monkey Island 2 special edition for the iPad for like... 9.99 or something. New art, high def and gorgeous. It was a great game when it first came out, and it's even better now. Does that mean it's worth $50?

I'm curious to know what features, Venen, warrant your comment that anything less than 85-90 would be unintelligent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:09 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

joxur wrote:
I'm curious to know what features, Venen, warrant your comment that anything less than 85-90 would be unintelligent.

Because it's the most significant (PC) game since World of Warcraft or Half Life 2. When Starcraft 2 single handedly brings eSports to North America, can I still expect to find you here claiming the sequel is nothing more than a graphical makeover?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 PM 

How is it going to bring "eSports" to North America?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Argrax wrote:
joxur wrote:

Because it's the most significant (PC) game since World of Warcraft or Half Life 2. When Starcraft 2 single handedly brings eSports to North America, can I still expect to find you here claiming the sequel is nothing more than a graphical makeover?

That in and of itself doesn't make it immune to constructive criticism. If you think it does, then you're a bigger idiot then Skycrasher ever was...and worse, an even bigger fanboy.

Oh, and the guys at MLG don't really give shit about SC2...so not ALL of eSports are jumping on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Khameir wrote:
Argrax wrote:
joxur wrote:

That in and of itself doesn't make it immune to constructive criticism. If you think it does, then you're a bigger idiot then Skycrasher ever was...and worse, an even bigger fanboy.

Oh, and the guys at MLG don't really give shit about SC2...so not ALL of eSports are jumping on it.

You're twisting what I said and I'm pretty sure your interpretation would be considered a logical fallacy.

That said, where is the constructive criticism is? The fact that it's an RTS that chose not to re-invent the genre? Compared to it's peers, where does it fall short? The fact is, the most vocal criticism about the game is that fact that it's not a carbon copy of the original.

Specific to Joxur's question, it will bring eSports to North America because RTSs lend themselves so well to spectators and commentators (as compared to say FPSs). Combine that with its incredible polish and balance, and a game that is faster with more action than Warcraft III and you have a recipe for success. Some of the games I've seen casted in the beta have been phenomenal, literally jaw dropping stuff (here's a good example). With the efforts Blizzard has taken to make the multiplayer game so much more accessible (and thus interesting) to the average player, it's only a matter of time before you see professional games on american television.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Argrax wrote:
You're twisting what I said and I'm pretty sure your interpretation would be considered a logical fallacy.

No, I'm not twisting what you said. You agree with Venen's comment that anyone who would review the game and give it less than some predetermined score is basically an idiot (or unintelligent). This is based solely on the fact that no one outside of Blizzard has touched the single player game but the multiplayer has been out for months in Beta...so anyone who would potentially review it will have to base their review off the existing multiplayer experience. And if their review is less than said predetermined score, they're idiots.

You believe, based on the existing hype and existing SC1 culture, that this game will blow the lid off RTS gaming as we know it and you liken it to two of the proven games to change PC gaming in the past 10 years. This is your opinion, and while your opinion may be shared by others it is not fact until it becomes a reality.

And you are white-knighting Blizzard, as you have done several times in the past. No shame in being a fanboy, you've admitted your bias in this very thread. I on the other hand spent several hours/days trying to enjoy playing this game with people of various skill levels and came to what is my opinion...it is nothing more than a graphical update of a 12 year old game. And yes, I understand concepts such as common build orders based on which faction...changing the default hotkeys around because the existing ones are retarded...I could go on but I probably lost people at build orders. RTS games have never been my cup of tea but I tried it with every intent of being neutral in my opinion.

Quote:
That said, where is the constructive criticism is? The fact that it's an RTS that chose not to re-invent the genre? Compared to it's peers, where does it fall short? The fact is, the most vocal criticism about the game is that fact that it's not a carbon copy of the original.

You've shown your bias, I've shown you mine. Whats left? Lets go look for some professional review...oh wait, we can't. Regardless of what a lot of us armchair prognosticators like to think, there are people out there who actually get paid to write their opinions down and for people to read them. There might be some constructive criticism floating around gaming journalism right now IF they'd gotten a chance to review the game as a whole. However, many of you feel Blizzard (or Activision) is justified in NOT giving out review copies because "Well, multiplayer has been out for months now so their opinions should be based on how near flawless that was". You guys are some of the biggest hypocrites and its disgusting. 90% of you would be aiming the flame bombs at ANY OTHER COMPANY who released a game without it being reviewed because you'd claim the same thing I have now.

Quote:
Specific to Joxur's question, it will bring eSports to North America because RTSs lend themselves so well to spectators and commentators (as compared to say FPSs). Combine that with its incredible polish and balance, and a game that is faster with more action than Warcraft III and you have a recipe for success. Some of the games I've seen casted in the beta have been phenomenal, literally jaw dropping stuff (here's a good example). With the efforts Blizzard has taken to make the multiplayer game so much more accessible (and thus interesting) to the average player, it's only a matter of time before you see professional games on american television.

Again, you have no proof to backup your claim here. MLG and other eSports promoters have shit on their plates right now and SC2 isn't top priority. Sure, a few of the promotions will have SC2 shit going on but it isn't like SC2 is going to become this MASSIVE FUCKING PHENOMENON IN THE ESPORTS ARENA you claim it is. This is your fanboy'ism talking...and if you think it will be, by all means open up your own eSports promotion and make it happen.

Accessible to the Average Player? Are you fucking kidding me. You can't talk about eSports and 'Average Player' at the same time. Your average player probably doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground compared to a professional gamer who actually participates at the competitive level. This is like saying that PUGS are competitive gaming level players because WoW raid content is so easy any 'average player' can do it.

Keep with your delusions of grandeur all you like dude. Blizzard in the end will do what they always do, make money. The sooner this piece of money-printing shit gets out on the market the sooner we'll see Diablo 3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 PM 

Haha. Esports. Seriously? Each week that goes by it gets easier and easier to not bother posting here or even bother to check what idiocy has been steamed out in the gaming forum. You might as well turn this shit over to Worthy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:35 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Khameir wrote:
No, I'm not twisting what you said. You agree with Venen's comment that anyone who would review the game and give it less than some predetermined score is basically an idiot (or unintelligent). This is based solely on the fact that no one outside of Blizzard has touched the single player game but the multiplayer has been out for months in Beta...so anyone who would potentially review it will have to base their review off the existing multiplayer experience. And if their review is less than said predetermined score, they're idiots.

Thousands of people, myself included, have touched the single player campaign at BlizzCon. My best guess as to why they withheld the game from the press was to minimize the amount of spoilers prior to release.

Khameir wrote:
Again, you have no proof to backup your claim here. MLG and other eSports promoters have shit on their plates right now and SC2 isn't top priority. Sure, a few of the promotions will have SC2 shit going on but it isn't like SC2 is going to become this MASSIVE FUCKING PHENOMENON IN THE ESPORTS ARENA you claim it is. This is your fanboy'ism talking...and if you think it will be, by all means open up your own eSports promotion and make it happen.
I think we're all fully aware that I have no proof of the future success of SC2 and eSports and that what I'm stating here is conjecture but there'd be a lot less to talk about if we were restricted to facts only.

Khameir wrote:
Accessible to the Average Player? Are you fucking kidding me. You can't talk about eSports and 'Average Player' at the same time. Your average player probably doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground compared to a professional gamer who actually participates at the competitive level.

Flawed logic strikes again. There are hundreds of millions of people who enjoy soccer (football) all over the world and of that population, you can be absolutely certain that the level of understanding of the game varies widely. Are the people with the most basic understanding of the game precluded from enjoying it?

And for something more factual, visit the Penny Arcade forums and read the reactions of (casual) gamers who happened to catch a link to a particularly epic pro match, these are people who sit at the very bottom of the bronze league and have but a very basic understanding of the game yet enjoy these shoutcasts immensely. Again, Blizzard has seemingly made significant efforts (exhibit A: Single-Player Preview -- Challenge Missions) in drawing the interest of the ordinarily exclusive single player gamer towards the multiplayer aspect and this interest can only serve to strengthen the growth of professional gaming in the west.

When it's all said and done I may just be delusional and Starcraft 2 will wane into obscurity in another six months time but well, I doubt it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:36 PM 

I want to be an eAthlete.

This game will do nothing to further much of anything at all except Blizzard's bottom line. If people wanted to go nuts for an RTS on a scale worth a shit, it would have happened already. Banking on a refried game to transform a billion dollar industry on a dead platform is comical.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NscTj38iaHk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Maybe this is just me, but I find it pathetically sad that some people get enjoyment out of watching others play a video/computer game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
cicely wrote:
Maybe this is just me, but I find it pathetically sad that some people get enjoyment out of watching others play a video/computer game.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what's going on other than perhaps it's an attempt to help develop this whole "Esport" bullshit. I've watched couple Sc2 videos recently and you've got these people trying to sound like sports announcers commentating some pro sport game.

"Is he? Is he? HE IS HE IS USING THE THOR TO COMMIT TO THE ZERG FORCES!!!! Oh my...but wait...wait waht is that, could it be? IT'S A TRAP!! OMG...I've not seen action like this since UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START, Folks!!!"

It's a fucking video game.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:51 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Wow, didn't realize I had stumbled into the football locker room here where video games are for losers. The irony is unfathomable given the origins of these boards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:48 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
My Pre-order should arrive Tomorrow or this week. I am excited so sue me!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 PM 

No, your idea is just stupid. Has nothing to do with masculinity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 PM 

Quote:

Simply the fact that the multiplayer gameplay is the best, most balanced, most polished gameplay I've seen out of an RTS. You should know that Blizzard typically does not invent, but rather they refine gameplay elements. I asked before, and I'll ask again for another RTS that is superior right now. I see none. I have heard of none. Please don't say idiot-friendly DoW2, either. I can't comment on the single-player, but from everything I've heard it refines upon the experience of the original. I'm more of a multiplayer guy when it comes to RTS games... always have been. The joy for me is in refining tactics and learning how to overcome other peoples' strategies. It was hard for RTS game creators to surpass the possibilities(combined with balance) in SC1, and it's even harder with SC2.

So with that in mind I continue to ask for a better RTS game released right now. "Teh RTS Genre sux0r" or "RTS iZ BoRing!11@" is not really an acceptable answer if the idea is to produce a counter-critique.

Quote:

I said that they should delay it to account for the single-player game. There are still plenty of reviewers who haven't touched the single-player yet(either due to Blizzard not releasing it to them, not attending events, or otherwise). With regard to what I said, I suppose you could argue that it's based on the determination that the single-player experience won't be a complete mess of a game. If it is, I suppose it could be argued that less than 85-90 is possible. However, if we judged it on the multiplayer experience alone, it would assuredly be at or above those marks. As I said, I'm just asking for one RTS that's better or even comes close to the fun factor.

You could suggest that the RTS genre is lacking, but I'd point out that the game meets all of the basic criteria for a good RTS game - good balance, diverse units, effective unit control/coordination, diverse strategies, competitive multiplayer, effective base-building and choking mechanics, good expansion mechanisms, etc. The only "flaw" in game mechanics that ever seems to be pointed out is that it has a few similarities with SC1. If you can produce one I'd enjoy hearing it.

I will say that I doubt it will have a super-major effect on eSports in America. To a degree that train has already come and gone for us as compared to say, Korea. I think it'll have an impact and maybe bring in a decent number of people, but it won't revive the concept here.

I would LIKE to see it have an impact, because like any intelligent gamer I realize that eSports also has an impact on how the gaming industry continues to mold and shape itself. For competitive gaming to evolve for the casual person, it also needs to evolve for the hardcore folks. Without that edge, you have little middle ground to work with. eSports can still be an effective hype tool, even if not all of us are interested in it. What it should communicate to the average player is that the gameplay itself allows for that kind of play, and that there aren't significant limits placed on the player as to where you can go if you really want to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
CakvalaSC wrote:

I'll be buying it as well, since I did love SC1 and played the hell out of it. What I don't get is folks like Argrax lobbying for Blizzard and their *lawl* Esport like a bunch of screaming japanese girls waiting for the latest Pikachu vibrator to be released.

Get over yourself Argrax...Blizzards cares not a whit for the boner you have for them. They simply want your cash. If you really want to work yourself into a froth over SC1 with nicer graphics...more power to you.

Me? I'll enjoy playing the new storylines and see where they take it. I don't need a commentator foaming at the mouth everytime I move a unit around my base.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:32 PM 

I'm still waiting to hear what makes it so great. Specifics, not broad generalities.

The few multiplayer games I played in beta were not fun or game changing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

There is a HUGE difference between playing a video/PC game, and watching someone play a video/PC game. I never said that playing a video/PC game only applies to losers... heck if that is the case, then we all are losers (myself included).

I just don't get the appeal of watching someone play a video/PC game. Maybe someone who does can enlighten me as to why this is entertaining? Because I just find it pathetically lame...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

cicely wrote:

While I am not in the least interested in "e-sports" I could say:

Maybe this is just me, but I find it pathetically sad that some people get enjoyment out of watching others play football on TV.
Maybe this is just me, but I find it pathetically sad that some people get enjoyment out of watching others play hockey on TV.
Maybe this is just me, but I find it pathetically sad that some people get enjoyment out of watching others audition to sing on TV.

Etc...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:58 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Larreth wrote:
CakvalaSC wrote:

I'll be buying it as well, since I did love SC1 and played the hell out of it. What I don't get is folks like Argrax lobbying for Blizzard and their *lawl* Esport like a bunch of screaming japanese girls waiting for the latest Pikachu vibrator to be released.

Get over yourself Argrax...Blizzards cares not a whit for the boner you have for them. They simply want your cash. If you really want to work yourself into a froth over SC1 with nicer graphics...more power to you.

Me? I'll enjoy playing the new storylines and see where they take it. I don't need a commentator foaming at the mouth everytime I move a unit around my base.

Where's the lobbying at and who's frothing? You guys are the ones getting bent out of shape with the witty one-liners and the very idea of professional gaming; I'm so sorry I don't have a time machine so we could all go back to 1999 and play Everquest all over again.

And Joxur, the overwhelming response to the game is positive, it's on you to bring the arguments as to why the game is bad. I'm not about to try and convince a rabid football/baseball/basketball fan that soccer is really a good game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

cicely wrote:
There is a HUGE difference between playing a video/PC game, and watching someone play a video/PC game. I never said that playing a video/PC game only applies to losers... heck if that is the case, then we all are losers (myself included).

I just don't get the appeal of watching someone play a video/PC game. Maybe someone who does can enlighten me as to why this is entertaining? Because I just find it pathetically lame...

So long as you've never ever watched poker on television, we can just agree to disagree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:21 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Pre-ordered Starcraft II, i Don't need to bitch about wanting new innovations because all i want is a polished and up to date Starcraft that runs on my new computer.

It aint broke, why should they fix it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:42 PM 

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear what makes it so great. Specifics, not broad generalities.

All of these qualities that I mentioned are qualities that make a good RTS good:

Quote:
good balance, diverse units, effective unit control/coordination, diverse strategies, competitive multiplayer, effective base-building and choking mechanics, good expansion mechanisms

I mean, what else are you looking for? Give me an example of a good game, and point out what "specifically" makes it good. I can just as easily suggest that it's a "broad generality". What made WoW good, initially? A good quest system, good combat/game mechanics, relatively solid class roles, an alive game world with very few areas "untouched", interesting and explorable dungeons. These are all given attributes to a good MMORPG. Broad generalities, things that specifically made the game good, or both?

And I'm still waiting on a superior RTS suggestion.

Perhaps something that might be worthy of that 85-90+ mark as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:34 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Quote:
I asked before, and I'll ask again for another RTS that is superior right now.

I'll give you this one so you can shut the fuck up and stop repeating it. At the moment, there is no RTS worth a shit and I have absolutely no doubt SC2 will revitalize a dying genre.

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't DESERVE an 85/90/100% rating or review JUST FOR BEING STARCRAFT.

Again, you all are some of the biggest hypocrites on the Internet...and I'll give you an example...

Lets say The Old Republic gets released WITHOUT A REVIEW COPY BEING MADE AVAILABLE TO THE GAMING MEDIA, just like SC2. The beta will have been out for over 10 months, so by your very logic it doesn't need to be reviewed because it can stand on its own merit. Bioware has just a good of a release record and reputation for making outstanding games as Blizzard does. Every game has been a success both critically and from a player perspective. But I can guarantee 100% that if it were released without any reviews, a good number of you would be calling for EA/Bioware/Lucasarts's heads on platters. How is that any different then what I've said? It isn't. It doesn't matter that TOR is an MMO and SC2 is an RTS...no game should be immune to the gaming press JUST BECAUSE it's guaranteed to sell nor does being a solid game absolve it.

I'll repeat this since Venen seems to think everything needs repeating...No one said the game won't sell, no one said the game won't be popular, no one said it wouldn't revitalize a dying genre (although the assumption that it'll do anything for eSports is just the ludicrous daydreams of a white-knighting fanboy). What was said was "What makes SC2 so special it should be absolved of being criticized or reviewed from a professional perspective?"

So what is it boys? What makes SC2 so next to Godliness that it is immune to being reviewed or criticized (and you can't go asking for a better game as that part of the argument has already been reached and is beyond contention at this point) AND if we're allowed to classify games as immune to reviews or criticism, will you hypocrites come crying back with your torches and pitchforks when a game YOU DO NOT LIKE gets released without a professional review?

Last edited by Khameir on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:42 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

How is watching poker on television the exact same thing as watching someone play a video/PC game? I fail to see how they are the same... if anything, watching poker on television is more entertainment than it is sport- since not every hand is shown on television. And if every hand is shown, then it would be closer to watching a sporting event than it would be watching someone play a video/PC game.

But I just think debating this topic with Kuwen will go nowhere. I just honestly want to know what is so exciting and entertaining about watching someone sit in front of a monitor or a television and play the game? I would much rather want to be playing the game than watching someone play- to me, that is boring as hell. And before someone starts talking about football/basketball/etc etc... as you get older, your body can no longer play those sports. Any athlete will say that, myself included. So as much as I would love to go to the court and do what I did 15 years ago... I no longer can. But I can still play a video/PC game, which is why I don't get the happiness of watching someone else play when I could be the one playing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:59 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

cicely wrote:
How is watching poker on television the exact same thing as watching someone play a video/PC game? I fail to see how they are the same... if anything, watching poker on television is more entertainment than it is sport- since not every hand is shown on television. And if every hand is shown, then it would be closer to watching a sporting event than it would be watching someone play a video/PC game.

What are you talking about? More entertainment than it is a sport? What does even mean? The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Seeing as how you went in circles on your first attempt, I'll try and be more clear. Name me one or two things that distinguishes watching professional poker from professional Starcraft. Clearly there must be some major distinctions given that the mere idea of watching Starcraft games is both pathetically sad and pathetically lame whereas poker on television is a perfectly acceptable pastime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:01 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Company of Heroes is a very solid RTS, can be very competitive at high level even if it's less a resources gathering / base building game than Starcraft. It's also worthy of a 85-90+ score in my opinion even it's it's a different gameplay than Starcraft.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:18 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Finlainea wrote:
Company of Heroes is a very solid RTS, can be very competitive at high level even if it's less a resources gathering / base building game than Starcraft. It's also worthy of a 85-90+ score in my opinion even it's it's a different gameplay than Starcraft.

Company of Heroes is a fantastic game and one I still play on a regular basis; it makes me very sad that there isn't an announced sequel yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 PM 

Quote:
I'll give you this one so you can shut the fuck up and stop repeating it. At the moment, there is no RTS worth a shit and I have absolutely no doubt SC2 will revitalize a dying genre.

Just because you don't enjoy RTS games doesn't make it a dying genre. It's not as active in terms of games being developed as FPS or MMOs are, sure, but it still has a pretty strong community of gamers that keep it going.

Quote:
That being said, it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't DESERVE an 85/90/100% rating or review JUST FOR BEING STARCRAFT.

Arguable, even if it WAS just StarCraft. It isn't - a slew of different units, build orders, enormously different(and arguably better) balance, non-isometric collision/maps, superior UI, superior graphics, superior sound, and superior multiplayer with a better ranking system. Perhaps more importantly, it has absolutely massive changes(even a bit beyond what WC3 did) to the map editor which allow people to build custom maps that can make anything from FPS games, to space shooters, to RPGs, and anything in between. This is without even mentioning the lengthy single-player campaign that most of us don't know enough about yet.

As I was saying, even if it WAS StarCraft re-vamped, it would still deserve a high score. Why? For the exact same reason reviewers give "Game of the Year" editions good scores. A game being a "copy" of something has ZERO relevance on whether a game has good *content*. Read that word again, since you apparently like repeating things more than I do: Content. Are these types of re-releases usually money-grubbing attempts? Sure, absolutely. Does it have ANYTHING to do with the content? No. Could many companies do more, most of the time when they do a crappy re-release. Sure. Does that have ANYTHING to do with the content? No.

It's still an incredible game, and it would remain an incredible game as a re-release. People still play the original damned game after all these years, moreso than countless other classics out there. It had incredible staying power because it was good. But if we were just comparing re-releases, SC2 clearly went above and beyond the call based on the things that I mentioned compared to at least 90 percent of supposed game rehashes.

Quote:
Lets say The Old Republic gets released WITHOUT A REVIEW COPY BEING MADE AVAILABLE TO THE GAMING MEDIA, just like SC2. The beta will have been out for over 10 months, so by your very logic it doesn't need to be reviewed because it can stand on its own merit. Bioware has just a good of a release record and reputation for making outstanding games as Blizzard does. Every game has been a success both critically and from a player perspective. But I can guarantee 100% that if it were released without any reviews, a good number of you would be calling for EA/Bioware/Lucasarts's heads on platters. How is that any different then what I've said? It isn't. It doesn't matter that TOR is an MMO and SC2 is an RTS...no game should be immune to the gaming press JUST BECAUSE it's guaranteed to sell nor does being a solid game absolve it.

Not at all, I'd be cheering them on for not giving into them. I will say that I think the press should be able to report on what they have seen so long as there is not a EULA that they agreed to that says otherwise. The beta should be judged on the merit that is in fact a beta, and while you usually don't see groundbreaking changes between late open betas and release, things can still happen. MMORPGs also hinge on the fact that there's a mad hype rush in the first opening weeks, and everything's a little more interesting with thousands of players going through the same thing you are... so in the multiplayer sense, it's similar to SC2's release in a way.

Quote:
I'll repeat this since Venen seems to think everything needs repeating...No one said the game won't sell, no one said the game won't be popular, no one said it wouldn't revitalize a dying genre (although the assumption that it'll do anything for eSports is just the ludicrous daydreams of a white-knighting fanboy). What was said was "What makes SC2 so special it should be absolved of being criticized or reviewed from a professional perspective?"

So what is it boys? What makes SC2 so next to Godliness that it is immune to being reviewed or criticized (and you can't go asking for a better game as that part of the argument has already been reached and is beyond contention at this point) AND if we're allowed to classify games as immune to reviews or criticism, will you hypocrites come crying back with your torches and pitchforks when a game YOU DO NOT LIKE gets released without a professional review?

Never said that it shouldn't be reviewed or criticized, merely that no one intelligent is going to give it a bad review. You can give it a 50 if you want, but I would highly doubt that that 50 would be based on an *informed*, *thoughtful*, and *unbiased* opinion of the game.

I think asking for a better game is still an important point - mainly in the sense that we should ask: "What can an RTS game do better to become a better RTS game and improve the genre?". I believe SC2 has hit some of the points, and while I mentioned a few possible ideas earlier in the thread that could make it better, I'd still suggest that we've hit a relative high point for RTS gaming as it stands right now. I believe that doing almost everything a genre demands for the epitome of that genre at least deserves credit when it comes to scoring it - after all, what are we basing that score on? I tend to think we base it at least in part on what we've seen games do, and the promise of what the genre can and could do in the future. To that end I think SC2 has met the benchmark.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:05 PM 

Quote:

It is a solid RTS, although I would suggest that the matchmaking system is inferior to SC2's. I know I'd consistently get either incredibly talented(despite an obvious win/loss ratio difference between us), or incredibly horrible opponents in CoH. I also like the separation of matchmaking tiers in SC2. With no base building, despite some contentions by some players, I still felt like I was utilizing less strategy against my opponents. Tactically it was a very engaging game, but not so much strategically. You could define the two as separable genres, similar to DoW2 in that respect.

Also the AI for unit group movement seemed pretty awkward and my units would often get stuck even in a perfectly open field. It just felt far less streamlined than SC2's group unit management/movement.

There also seemed to be a few imbalances, I think it was Axis that could spam the lower infantry units and get away with simple rushes without too many effective counters from the Allies if done properly. Also with the expansion the British seemed pretty underpowered as well.

Overall it was fairly balanced and a pretty good game, but just not quite up to standard SC2 has set. It's difficult to compare the two directly though because they are practically two different genres.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:45 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
It is a solid RTS, although I would suggest that the matchmaking system is inferior to SC2's. I know I'd consistently get either incredibly talented(despite an obvious win/loss ratio difference between us), or incredibly horrible opponents in CoH. I also like the separation of matchmaking tiers in SC2. With no base building, despite some contentions by some players, I still felt like I was utilizing less strategy against my opponents. Tactically it was a very engaging game, but not so much strategically. You could define the two as separable genres, similar to DoW2 in that respect.

Also the AI for unit group movement seemed pretty awkward and my units would often get stuck even in a perfectly open field. It just felt far less streamlined than SC2's group unit management/movement.

There also seemed to be a few imbalances, I think it was Axis that could spam the lower infantry units and get away with simple rushes without too many effective counters from the Allies if done properly. Also with the expansion the British seemed pretty underpowered as well.

Overall it was fairly balanced and a pretty good game, but just not quite up to standard SC2 has set. It's difficult to compare the two directly though because they are practically two different genres.

The matchmaking definitely is where the game falls down, even just today I had some time to burn and tried to jump into a 3v3 or 4v4 and kept getting booted because my 'custom games' rank was too low and nobody took the time to see that I had a decent '1v1 ladder' record. The balance isn't perfect as the British are still far and away the weakest faction but by people not playing them, it makes it less of an issue.

CoH also gets huge points for doing something different for the genre by way of its resource gathering mechanism, very creative and well executed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:48 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I didn't know COH was RTS. I am so out of the loop!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next