PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:50 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
GLOVE = 1/5 correct
SHOPS = 1/5 correct

Therefore the correct answer must have the letter O
And cannot have: G, L, V, E, S, H, P (or it would have more than 1/5)

All other possibles with at least 1 letter or more elimination (I didn't note all letters each time, just noting 1 wrong is enough):

PRONE = Has P cannot be correct
STONE = has S cannot be correct
STORY = has S cannot be correct
START = has S cannot be correct
SHOPS = already eliminated
SNAKE =has S cannot be correct
SWORD =has S cannot be correct
SMOKE =has S cannot be correct
SHOCK =has S cannot be correct
SPIKE =has S cannot be correct
GLOBE = has G, L, E, etc wrong!
SHAVE =has S cannot be correct
STORM =has S cannot be correct
LOOSE =has S cannot be correct
STATE =has S cannot be correct
GLOVE = already eliminated

Am I insane or is this puzzle wrong?! :?

Here's the screenshot of it:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:29 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I posted this on the F3 official boards as well and got a number of responses. In case anyone wants to solve it on their own, I'll pop it behind a spoiler

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=896083&st=0&gopid=13088394&#entry13088394

My response on the other boards: Ah, it's me. I was looking at it completely the wrong way. The O could be wrong in both and the poster that pointed out it could be the S in one and the E in the other is correct.

I apparently simply suck at these puzzles. :)

Thanks guys!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Good work, detective!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The answer is:

Reload your save before you hack a terminal and try again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:32 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Can't you just back out after 3 tries?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Can't you just back out after 3 tries?

Yeah, but you'll take a karma hit every time you log back in. So far I've just been taking the karma hits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:05 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Quote:
GLOVE = 1/5 correct
SHOPS = 1/5 correct

Therefore the correct answer must have the letter O
And cannot have: G, L, V, E, S, H, P (or it would have more than 1/5)

It doesnt have to be "O" , you could have V from glove and H from Shops and would still get 1/5 for both (or some other combinations).

Though I didn't read from the spoiler, and dont know the game so could be totally out ot lunch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:41 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Yeah that was exactly it Hunee, I was looking at it completely wrong.

Apparently it's similar to puzzles in 'Mastermind' (which I've never played or heard of).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:49 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
I still play Mastermind with the kids, Tarot. It's a good mental exercise. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:18 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'm not sure if you figured this out yet, Tarot, but the puzzles have to be followed in a letter sequence fashion. I can't see your screenshot since I am at work and it blocks whatever site you are using to host, but from what I can see of the puzzle that you have written out, the correct answer must have the letter O in the third position. It can have G, L, V, E, S, H, P...just not in the positions they are in in either of those two words.

GLOVE = 1/5 correct
SHOPS = 1/5 correct

If MIOGP was a word and an option on your puzzle, the O would definitely be correct, but the G and the P may also be correct because they fall in a different part of the word.

I normally write the first guess down and put the number of correct letters next to it. The next word that I guess, if any letters are correct, is written below the prior word. In your case, I would see that O is in the correct spot as I look for similarities in the letters vertically. Then I circle the letters that are obviously in the correct sequence (I underline letters that might be correct) andthen look for other words that have that letter in that same sequential order.

Something else that I do is guess three times (on hard or very hard especially), then I go back and find all of the bracket hacks. I almost always get a replenish allowance which gives me 7 total chances to get it right before having to bail and start over. After all of the duds are removed and the replenish is given, there are very few puzzles that you will come across that you can't solve the first time around without having to take more karma hits.

Besides that, the karma hits are not too bad. I just give a thirsty guy purified water or donate some caps to a local church. They love that shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:00 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Bello, it's already been discussed -- just because both words have an "o" in the middle, that doesn't mean that the "o" was the one that was correct. It's also not positioning based in fallout3 as far as I can tell.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:24 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

It is positioned based on the PS3...not sure why it wouldn't be on the PC version. I solve every puzzle I come across the first time around because I know the letters are position based and solve them in the manner that I outlined above. Oh well, you guys are smart...you'll figure it out. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:16 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Yo the answer to your hacking is SNAKE, SPIKE, or STATE. I would guess that it's STATE because the hacking puzzle answers usually are somewhat relevant to the area they're in and unless the computer belongs to tunnel snakes or a railroad or something it's probably STATE. IF you were waiting for a month just to figure that out that, then you could appreciate my help.

Also, interesting hacking fact: if you look at all the jumbled up symbols and shit there is a lot of bracket type punction. Like [, {, and (. if you find brackets like that and there is a beginning and end bracket near each other you can click on the starter bracket and it will say eliminate dud somethiong whatever. And it also has a chance to restore hacking attempts. There's like 1 or 2 of those per hacking attempt usually from what I found. I played most of the game before I even discovered that fact. The hacking puzzles were really easy though.

Also, I dob't know why they let you make your characters final appearance before they tell you that youa re 19 years old at the beginning of the game. I made myself as a balding old man, and then it was really weird how I'm supposed to be actually 19 and looking for my dad who is younger than me in appearance. Also, there is no pre-war business wear that isn't grimy or dirty that I could fine, even though there is pristine pre-war casual wear and spring outfits. I wanted a clean business suit for my guy, and a pistol that didn't have some ridiculous giant scope on it.

Mostly the game was boring though, but it was really well made. Like I kept exploring stuff and expecting to find a really cool area and then it would just be really boring areas. Thrre was lots of metal boxes and foot lockers and I got 1000s of ammo and everything but it was really boring. All the side quests would have interesting beginnings and then I would end up in some really boring location looting 1000s of ammo and then I would go back and there would be a boring letdown conclusion. And then Three Dog would talk about it on the Radio about 500 times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:57 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I do wish Three Dog played more than the 5 or 6 songs that he does. That shit begs me to to turn the radio off, but I always keep it on to hear the "news" in case something big goes down that I need to resopnd to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

There's a patch out today for the PS3 that (allegedly) fixes the freezing bug.

edit: er.. not sure if it is available in the US yet

Offline Profile