It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a game suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Trying to find something I can play co-op with a friend online. Shooter or rpg/adventure type preferably. Needs to be a recent game, but anything within the last 2 years would probably be ok. Neither one of us is having much luck coming up with something we'd both be interested in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

This is more than 2 years, but how about the Serious Sam series? They are fun in co-op.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
GunBound. It's a free online game based on that old tank shooter. Multiple players, multi team.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 PM 
I am a Spaceman

There's not a whole lot of co-op games that aren't just multiplayer games you can join the same team on. For the PC your choices are pretty much Diablo clones and multiplayer FPSs. There's RTSs and MMOs too, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want.

Titan Quest is a great diablo clone, but there's no real online community for it because the creators didn't enforce any anti-cheating stuff. It can last for a long time if you keep clearing through on the higher difficulties.

Mythos is another diablo clone that's in beta. It's tailored for online play specifically, but there's not much depth right now with only three classes and at higher levels you're stuck running nothing but random dungeons over and over.

TF2 is probably the best FPS going at the moment. It has plenty of servers and players, and isn't terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:16 AM 
Spider Slayer

CoD4 is pretty fun if you enjoy something more realistic. The Multiplayer is less friendly if you want to find a friend than Steam, but you can tell each other what server/IP you're gonna join beforehand and favorite it.

Hope your buddy lives close to you though, or I'd rule FPSes out. Might be ping limit issues with some servers, and playing with high ping sucks in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. We aren't really interested in multi-players, since well..I pretty much suck. And the distance issue. He's in eastern Canada and I'm in California. We just want something to do when we want an off-day from mmo'ing it, but I guess that may not be possible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Some of these have already been mentioned, but I just made a list of games off the top of my head.

Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights 2. *Not so bad now with recent patches*
There is a stupid amount of homebrew modules avalable for both games. You could play both of them for a very long time.

Titan Quest Gold

Diablo Battlechest

Warcraft III Battlechest

Starcraft Battlechest

Medieval: II Total War Gold

Rome: Total War Gold

Age of Empires III Gold

Age of Mythology

Civilization II,III,IV

Command and Conquer Boxed set

Serious Sam I and II

Sins of A Solar Empire
*Space RTS*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:05 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Well since no one mentioned it: http://www.hellgatelondon.com/

Futuristic Diablo First Person Shooter / RPG Hybrid

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:42 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I believe that was listed under the "don't waste your money" section.

I suggest Civ 4 and the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for something old, yet new and fresh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I want to echo the Titan Quest game that was previously mentioned. Picked up the Gold version (original and expansion pack) for $20 last week, and am enjoying the game a lot. Nice graphics, mindless Diablo click-type game, and the Egyptian/Roman/Greek theme is something I have always enjoyed since childhood. Don't have to do a lot of thinking, but entertaining!

Have not played it online, though. So not sure bout this cheating that someone above mentioned...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:50 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

No doubt an unpopular opinion, but chalk me up as the guy who can't stand the Civ games. I devoted countless hours really trying to give Civ 3 and Civ 4 a chance, tweaking with all the little intricacies playing through both long and short games... just doesn't do it for me. Too repetitive and it seems highly undeveloped from a gameplay standpoint. I've never really given a shit about graphics, so that wasn't an issue with it. It's fun for a while, but even with mods you've still got the basic core gameplay. I got a lot more enjoyment out of Galciv 2. Still need to play Sins of the Solar Empire(same company I think).

I think you really need to have a deep-seeded fetish for micromanaging to get a lot of enjoyment out of civ games. Almost a self-loathing one. I mean, alright, you spent an hour on one turn making sure the tax is right in that city and the production queue is precisely right in the other city - hell, maybe you even beat your opponent after a couple turns of doing that... but please tell me what the goddamned point is! Then there's the other extreme of that where you push the end turn button 50 times until you win. I just can't seem to find a happy medium between those two that doesn't end up boring me to death.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:54 AM 

Other than that all of Givin's choices are "safe" =p

It's unfortunate we can't give these safe recommendations for newer titles. I mean you notice that nearly all of those titles are at least 4-5 years old and beyond. WTB good developers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:35 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I think you'd be surprised by how different the game feels if you played the Civ 4 mod I mentioned. It changes the game to a fantasy setting with the ability to level up your units and the ability to give them new skills/spells/etc. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it's pretty cool, in my opinion. I guess maybe the fact that it was just made by some normal dudes makes it that much more special. It has new unit graphics (of course), new music, and even new videos if you build the game's version of the Wonders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 AM 

Well, I tried Fall From Heaven version 1 and it left me with that impression. It was definitely a well-thought-out and intricate mod, no question about it. I might try out FFH 2 just for the hell out it at some point. I do give them props for putting so much effort into it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Supreme Commander.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile