It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Witcher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:45 PM 
What does this button do?

Anyone else playing this? I picked it up last week, and have been enjoying it so far. You play Geralt, a Witcher (monster slayer) in medieval Europe who has lost his memory, and has to figure out who these people are that attacked the old fortress where witchers are/were trained. You travel through dirty plague ridden medieval towns, kill stuff, and seduce women along the way. As you explore, quest, kill, and seduce, you gain levels, and with each level you get talents to distribute amongst the various skill sets, and attributes. Right now I'm focusing on physical combat rather than spell casting.

In combat you have two main weapons; a steel 2h sword for killing people, and regular beasts, and eventually a silver 2h sword for killing monsters, undead, and the like. Alchemy will help a lot in combat by giving you various potions to drink, oils to coat your swords with, and bombs.

Even with the 1.2 patch it's still prone to crashing, but playing in windowed mode, and turning down the graphics seems to have eliminated 90% of the crashing. You'll need a decent system to run it with the eye candy, my 3800+ x2 with a 1950pro is brought to its knees pretty easily.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Witcher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:31 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
It's pretty, but it has probably the worst voice acting I've ever seen since Two Worlds.

Insane load times, even after the patch turn a lot of people away quickly.

It's a fun button masher, and I picked it up because I enjoy the world its set in, but ugh that acting is just horrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 PM 

Ha, yeah, the voice acting and talent is pretty bad. Some of the stuff they say makes me cringe, but maybe it lost a bit in the translation from Polish. Geralt sounds like that character on that awful show from Adult Swim, Xavier Guardian Angel, and another character sounded like Scrooge McDuck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:21 PM 
I am a Spaceman

There's actually a way to patch the Polish voices + script into the game, it just requires a 550mb torrent and some registry editing. It's more natural sounding, but the lip synching is still a little off and the dialogue can still be goofy at times. It suffers less from the translation and more from the publisher butchering the script down to a shorter length so they wouldn't have to pay as much for the voice acting. I liked the overall presentation of the game though, if only because it's a refreshing take on the cRPG genre without rehashing the gameplay or setting from somewhere else.

The main flaws that stood out to me were the horrible loading times (which the patch fixed) and stumbling into boobie cards at every step. The guy really takes advantage of the sterility + disease immunity mutation. There were also a few times where you're forced to get drunk that I didn't really like, if only because it made walking to a rest area annoying as hell. On the other hand, the alchemy system is cool, the combat is fun even though it's very limited and repetitive, and the city based, non-combat oriented quests were done really well.

I'd rate it a 878/1000.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I liked this one once I got it running properly...

Good action, beautiful graphics.

Camera felt a bit odd though but I'd consider it one of the few games worth buying.

The US version is censored but you can get a int. version from uk.atari.com or something as a digital download.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:26 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Fry's sells the Unrated version. That's where I got mine anyway.

I played it for about a week but lost interest and like givin, I got tired of the horrible speaking parts...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... he-Witcher

Be sure to watch the mini film at the end of the review!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:49 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
lol

I systematically closed it at the end credits, thanks for the comment!

That was funny~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:02 AM 

The only difference between the unrated and US releases were you don't get tits in your card collection pictures, and they removed a gaping vag from a nymph.

Oh and a giant floppy gargoyle zombie penis

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Lou wrote:
lol

I systematically closed it at the end credits, thanks for the comment!

That was funny~

Outside. Twenty minutes. Pufferfish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 PM 

Ha, the PC gaming master race. I guess he'll never review Victoria.

If one of those knights walking around town shouts "Honor!" one more time... grrr. Other than that chapter III's been good so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

I just got it this weekend.

Only on chapter 2 (just started the city quest in the temple zone. Seems to be pretty good so far. Took a bit to figure out what I was doing wrong with the clicking and swinging on that boss at the end of the outskirts zone. I kept turn attack off . :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 PM 

Potential chapter I spoiler stuff:
That hellhound at the end of chapter one has been was the hardest fight for me so far. My witch 'friend' kept dying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:41 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Thanks for the link tarot, after that wonderful review, I felt compelled to watch a few more of his reviews.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Societies

that one on the sims was pretty good

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:46 PM 

They're going to release a new and improved version with different voice overs, among other things.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/444.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:02 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Miramicha at Work wrote:
Thanks for the link tarot, after that wonderful review, I felt compelled to watch a few more of his reviews.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Societies

that one on the sims was pretty good

I LOVE him. Actually someone else around here originally posted about him, which is how I found him. But yeah his reviews are highly entertaining and witty. His review of bioshock I think is my favorite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Some of the flowcharts on his personal website make me laugh out loud every time I look at them.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/life.htm

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/premed.htm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Salamren wrote:
They're going to release a new and improved version with different voice overs, among other things.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/444.html

Wow. That impresses the hell out of me.

If they did that for KOTOR II restoring the voice work for the 'real' ending and actually making the ending they intended, I would go buy it again, and sing their praises.

I'm sure some people will be annoying, bitching that such things should be done freely and in patches, but the reality is that this is (so I've heard) a really good game with some flaws that require production work. The game is playable with shitty voice acting.

I'm all for games doing this.

I'm sure some fanbois are screaming NOOOO with the anticipation that publishers and developers will shit out even more unplayable releases (cough TROIKA cough) and now not only have Ye Olde Patch as an excuse for fixing their produce post release, but also look at actually finishing a game with an additional year of post production production time. But that's not going to happen. In fact as much as I'd love to see many games (my left tit for KOTOR II) do this....it's not going to happen.

It won't happen IMHO for most games. People who aren't ready to buy the game at release (the preorder crowd types) who only become interested after buzz is generated can happily wait for a polished version a year down the road. But if the game doesn't sell gobs of games, making it viable for a polished version to both produced AND have a market...it won't happen.

So halfassing post production isn't a viable option when you don't have the base to buy it. VtM:Bloodlines is one of the best RPGs out there, yet it's a game that did poorly in initial sales, because it was unplayable on release. And became part of the reason that Troika folded after ironically releasing only 3 games (all of which were plagued with release problems).

Sooooo, great concept, forsee lots of whining for people who will have already purchased the game and will want it free screaming it's essentially a patch (when it's not), and don't forsee it becoming popular in the future.

But seriously. Left tit and firstborn for KOTOR II. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Hell I'd be tempted to offer a man-tit for a full re-write of Vanguard, if it would do any good. Not the Eq2-ification of it, but for a full scale re-visit to the original concepts with real world optimizations from the ground up, etc. I know SOE is "working the issues" post takeover, but I think player expectations will not be met with the currently available funding via less than expected subscriptions. Go-go VG2! Woot!

Also, my apologies for the temporary hijack of the thread for those that are bound to scream TAKE IT TO THE VANGUARD FORUM! *sigh*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:39 PM 

From that article...

Quote:
Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

Even better stuff after that point.

Pretty spiffy, even tho I already torrented the files I needed to see boobies and bush. English dialog change is mega huge however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:53 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
From that article...

Quote:
Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

Even better stuff after that point.

Pretty spiffy, even tho I already torrented the files I needed to see boobies and bush. English dialog change is mega huge however.

I missed that, and was focusing on the beginning where they're all 'too bad this version couldn't be this but this version wow!' ...and misunderstood.

The fact that they're giving all that shit to people who've bought the game already as a patch...wow. Most games sell add ons, maybe a lot cheaper...but they still sell them.

MUCH impressed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:11 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Question:

I downloaded the demo and love the game. Should I buy it now, or wait for the Super Duper Version to come out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

Personally.. I'd wait

If you see it hella cheap on sale, buy it now and wait for later to play it... otherwise wait.

I'm at the beginning of act III and I'm considering waiting for the new dialogs to come out to continue.. just because it's pretty bad.

The Inventory management changes, if they don't suck will also be very welcome.

That being said, I'm one of those that usually can't stand going through a game more than once..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
From "The Witcher" newsletter.

Quote:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition approaches! 1

In May of this year, a completely new and improved version of The Witcher will appear in stores, further improving the game considered by many players and media as the best cRPG of 2007! The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. Changes include the removal of technical issues that have kept players from fully enjoying the game, which means loading times that are 80% shorter, improved stability of the game on different system configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The English-language version will be further improved, as some fans felt the English dialogue suffered from decreased immersion and atmosphere. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where it is planned to re-record the voices for many of the characters. Other changes will include, among many other things, more than 50 new supporting character models, a new inventory panel and more than 100 new animated gestures to increase the game’s visual appeal in dialogue scenes.

Aside from the value-packed retail version, the new content and improvements (including a DVD with the D'jinii Mod Editor, as well as two additional adventures) will be available to registered users in the form of a free downloadable update!

Detailed information concerning the Enhanced Edition can be found at http://www.thewitcher.com

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
This game would be good with Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden style combat.

As it stands now with the retarded "The Summoner" chain attacking, slow moving, bullshit combat system, it makes it unplayable.

Sorry to any die hard fans...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:05 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Yea, the more I read about this game the more bad things I hear about its combat system =/ The skill system sounded somewhat promising(and nice environs), but it sounds like the gameplay leaves a little something to be desired.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:10 AM 

Combat is fine. The voice acting, story translation is not. That if anything makes it nearly unplayable. It's the baby bitch brother of KotOR II pretty much.

Now about the upgrades. I didn't register this thing so i guess I'm sol unless I can do a reinstall and get back to it. Haven't looked yet to see if its just a link or what. I don't register software.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:27 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Combat is fine?

Have you even played the game?

Click...click...click...

It's also the slowest paced shit I've seen since, well, like I said, the Summoner. It's terrible, and of all people I find it hard to believe that you think the combat is fine lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:17 AM 

The overall game was so good, I could care less that its a mindless clickfest, not like that matters anyway.

Can you name any other game that isn't a variation of "click click click click click"?

Didn't think so.

I don't know what you guys expected, Call of Duty 4 with swords?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:57 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

givin to register you click the register link at the witcher loader

don't need to reinstall

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:09 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
GREAT MORE CLICKING?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

I lol'd

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
*BUMP* I just started playing this. Anyone still play it? Any must-have mods that make the game better?

Offline Profile