It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spore
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:19 PM 

Yeah...I can't wait for this game. Watch the video and all the different features this game will have (watch the whole thing...it's worth it). Like Player made content in your game. <
>
<
>
Spore Gameplay Video <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Spore
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:01 PM 

looks definately interesting, must say... the narrator was pretty cool too. <
>
My sig got eated by the bit bucket...<
>
Fellenwhite Moonsong<
>
65-Something drunken freak of Lanys<
>
Formerly known as:<
>
Dashkast Justifyer<
>
65 Gnomish Puppy kicker<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:12 PM 

Yea, I posted this vid several months ago. Any word if they have come any closer to completing it?<
>
<
>
<
>
My Crappy Gear on Magelo <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:56 PM 

I like the teddy bear part <
>
<
>
Does it has network or online mode? - Gemino The GnomeLock -<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 AM 

this looks amazing, its so many different types of games all rolled into this one big game. This has a lot of potential to be "TEH BEST GAME EVAR!!!1!!11!" seriously though, from just what I saw in that really long but awesome video, I'd buy it right now if only to play a demo like that or something. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:33 PM 

iirc, from the same guy that did the sim city games. he is pretty clever and innovative, and his games are basically sandbox games. which is probably why a lot of people like them, since you can really do whatever you want to do.<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:12 AM 

i want now. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 AM 

Ya I've seen this posted a lot. It's an incredible-looking game... but I would have to agree with gamespot(or one of those reviewers, can't remember) that this might be looking like more of a toy than an actual game with goals. Would still be fun to play around with... but I'm not sure if the idea of constantly changing around to different mini-games would be as cool as it could be. The evolution concept is fan-fucking-tastic... I just wonder if it would have been better if they had stuck with that concept and made it so players continued to get better and better evolved upgrades rather than switch to an RTS, etc. <i>Edited by: Venen at: 3/5/06 2:51 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:55 AM 

For some good Spore talk and a really good game site imo go to http://www.gamingsteve.com. The podcasts are quite good also the last three had some very entertaining info on the upcoming game Oblivion. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:45 AM 

the creator is funny in his narration, but I actually expected the end-game of this to be a little different. somehow I don't think I'll be playing this much past the character building.. because that's the only thing that hasn't really been explored in other games. I was really hoping that the creatures would continue to grow, and maybe he just didn't show it in the video, but that one character design was the same for every single citizen in that city. seems like that part would just get old after awhile. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:58 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
2009 now....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:49 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
*wailing and gnashing of teeth*

Don't make this a Duke Nukem Forever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Of course at this point the change of date is still a rumor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:18 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Can you really push back a game that hasn't had an official release date announced?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Hooray!

Vaporware is not just for the PC market! Of course, it will be MUCH cooler on a Mac... :roll:

I've been looking forward to this one so long, I'm sure to be disappointed when/if it ever becomes reality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:30 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Kick ass, a mac game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

Sept 7th 2008 is dia de spore

http://www.spore.com/screenshots.php?movieID=7&play=hi

EA AND MAXIS TO SHIP SPORE IN SEPTEMBER

Redwood City, CA - February 12, 2008 - Get ready for the next Big Bang this fall! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Maxis today announced that Spore™, the highly anticipated game from the creators of The Sims™, will be available at retailers worldwide the weekend of September 7. Spore will be available for the PC, Macintosh, Nintendo DS™, and mobile phones.

"The wait is almost over," said Maxis Chief Designer Will Wright. "We're in our final stages of testing and polish with Spore, and the team at Maxis can't wait to see the cosmos of content created by the community later this year."

Spore gives players their own personal universe in a box. Create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even UFOs. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world or explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers.

Consumers can visit http://www.spore.com to sign up for the Spore newsletter or check out all-new screenshots and video of the game. Members of the media can visit EA's press site at http://www.info.ea.com for information about all of EA's games.

http://www.spore.com/press_021208.php

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Chey wrote:
Kick ass, a mac game!

It won't be Mac-native.
It will be a Cider game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

What's the difference between Cider and native? I know hardly anything about Macs, but I'm curious. Is Cider some sort of Windows emulator or something?

Also, thanks Lou! I have no idea how I saw the Mac announcement and missed the one about the release date. /boggle

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:31 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

bawpinawlahrown wrote:
Is Cider some sort of Windows emulator or something?

Sort of, but not quite.
Its the Mac version of WINE.

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:53 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Good read. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Bzalthek wrote:
Update: Still not out.

This free service provided by Observation inc.

This made me LOL. :santa:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: WYSIWYG
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:40 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Lou wrote:
Sept 7th 2008 is dia de spore

FWIW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Mark my words, this game will suck. It will be another Stalker. Overhyped, overdelayed, and a pile of shit when it's out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:26 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

xskycrasherx wrote:
Mark my words, this game will suck. It will be another Stalker. Overhyped, overdelayed, and a pile of shit when it's out.

God help me, but I agree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

There are some good ideas behind this game. I REALLY hope its good, and lives up to the hype. We will see soon enough

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Well I'm still hyped about it. Procedurally-generated physics based on how you model your creature is ALL I will need to keep myself occupied for days, perhaps weeks on end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Is the release date here yet.... been watching the dates change every 3 months or so for the last 2 years...

Have a feeling it's just going to end up being like another Black and White. Neat but not much there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:58 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

yeah did you read the whole thread?

It's in sept :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:10 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Lou wrote:
yeah did you read the whole thread?

It's in sept :p

Sorry last time I checked 2 months ago it was slated from June... I shall read all threads all the time from now on, even though many are spammed by skycrasher.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:30 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

My helmet is bigger than yours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
http://kotaku.com/384007/spore-creature ... e-detailed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
What the fuck. So for ten bucks you can essentially play with a character builder screen for two months until the 'real' game comes out?

And people are talking about porting these monsters in...I thought the whole fucking point of the game was that your creatures evolved over the course of play, based on environment, time and choices you made.

I repeat, what the fuck?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

/agree Tarot
The idea of porting in creations with the full set of parts kinda blows the first two phases out of the water. I can see maybe letting people play with the creator to whet the appetite, just not putting the creatures into the game when it comes.
From their site:
Quote:
Tide Pool Phase
Fight with other creatures and consume them to adjust the form and abilities of your creature. It's survival of the fittest at the most microscopic level.

Creature Phase
Venture onto land and help your creature learn and evolve with forays away from your nest. The only way to grow is by taking chances!

Tribal Phase
Instead of controlling an individual creature, you are now caring for an entire tribe. Give them tools and guide their interactions as you upgrade their state of existence.

Civilization PhaseOnce your city is established, your creatures begin seeking out and interacting with other cultures. Make contact with an olive branch or a war cry. The goal for your creatures is to conquer the planet.

Space Phase
The time has come to move on to other worlds in your solar system. Make contact, colonize, or terraform, then venture further to find other solar systems. A 'mission' structure provides new goals in your quest for galactic dominance.

Even though you aren't going to be playing directly against other players, you will be competing with their creatures which are supposed to be downloaded to your game from other players gamess. At least I think that's how it was supposed to work.

Could be much suckage if there are super advanced creatures on day one...TWINKS TWINKS! NOTHING BUT TWINKS! *ahem*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:29 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
I believe you are in control as to which, if any, other creations are downloaded. If that is the case, whether or not you have the ability to make fully evolved creatures shouldn't really be a factor, especially beings you'd be able to accomplish the same thing even without the creature creator.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

I honestly hope you are right. If it's controlled downloading then good, good.

If not there is a big difference. You would expect to find other people's mistakes (or low to mid levels if you like) as much as the evolutionary topped-out predators to compete against.

I mean what fun would it be if you get plastered 49 times out of 50 when stepping/sliding/oozing five feet away from your nest or pond? I'm a little fuzzy on on the details but I think you have to EARN your way up the evo ladder. If 90% to 98% are already topped-out predators you ain't going far.

Meh...I still plan to try it once the full game comes out. After this much anticipation it'll probably be a let-down, but I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Quote:
After this much anticipation it'll probably be a let-down, but I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed.
You and me both.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

LOL IRL.

Fuck that shit. I'll download the cracked version just to spite them. I fucking hate PC game developers hellbent on insane anti-piracy schemes. Assholes. Yeah it's their right to protect their content but this is over the line. Lame.

(PS: There is nothing "uncrackable" by and large in terms of PC gaming. They're just making themselves look like cocksuckers.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:53 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I'll probably still buy it because I don't pirate video games, but only after a crack comes out. I would boycott it but I really want to play it, so, have no other option.

But what I don't get is that if someone is willing to pay for a video game why do they make it such a hassle to play it. If I pay 50 bucks for a game I don't want to deal with stuff like this, those who pirate it don't have to, why should I? Heh.

Oh well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
It isn't a big deal so long as it doesn't create another Sony BMG bullshit episode.

Which it probably will because of some bored chinaman who has nothing better to do than to turn it into a means to fish out your MMO passwords and sell to IGE.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:04 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Since the game downloads creature content from their servers for your galaxy, I imagine that a cracked version that doesn't use it would be at least somewhat hobbled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:55 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Read a really good write up the other day on why PC gaming is just not as good as it used to be, basically boiled down to software developers complaining about piracy and not getting the income/revenue that they want/need to continue to develop quality projects for the PC.

Which makes me wonder... what percentage or dollar amount is lost to a developer due to piracy? If they are losing half of their potential revenue to piracy, then I can understand why software developers may not be all that excited to do a PC project. And hence, why they put in all these anti-piracy codes and stuff to ensure that their product is indeed sold... or pirated and played like a quick demo that is unplayable after so long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

I can't believe bioware is going to try that shit too with Mass Effect

you'd think they'd have learned with the issues with NWN1 and NWN2 (Well Atari) that in the end it only hurts the legitimate users and not the pirates at all.

Within 2 weeks of release probably, there will be a hack where with a little program and an edited host files you'll validate locally (like an old WGA hack)

I'll buy the game, but I'll expect issues, just because they've been an issue in the past.. In most cases event though I purchased the game to get rid of headaches, I downloaded the hack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:02 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah, fuck that shit indeed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:38 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

So how do you fight back against that shit? By pirating a copy, which caused the problems in the first place. Hooray for the cycle o' doom.

I honestly dunno why anyone would develop a non-subscription based PC game anymore. There can't be too much profit in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:14 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Chey wrote:
I honestly dunno why anyone would develop a non-subscription based PC game anymore. There can't be too much profit in it.

There's plenty of profit if they weren't so fucking stupid.

Proof:
Oblivion
Sins of a Solar Empire
Galactic Civilizations II

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Yeah, but the copy protection system for Bioshock sucked beyond belief. I lost a hard drive two days after installing Bioshock, and spent 30 minutes trying to reach a human at the support number, then another 20 minutes convincing them I wasn't stealing anything, I just needed them to remove the existing validations on my account so I could validate my new install. My brother is actually waving off this game solely to avoid the copy protection scheme's hassles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:00 PM 
I am a Spaceman

With Bioshock, I found it pretty funny that you could get around the online activation part of the install by renaming the install directory so it failed to delete when you hit cancel. I didn't have any problems playing C:\Program Files\BioShack.

All these heavy handed anti-pirating measures do is give the paying customer an inferior product compared to the guy who torrents it and uses a crack to kill all the bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
gonnasuck

there's a word about Spore

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:28 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

And the wise Neesha knows all :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:42 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Well, Spore is conspicuous in its absence from the announcement about removing the re-validation step from Mass Effect (PC). It looks to me like Spore will go ahead with the "re-validate every 10 days" policy intact.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:53 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Just like we always talked about what would be the "EQ killer" to take EQ's place as the reigning MMOG....

Spore itself is going to be the Spore-Killer.

Nothing like eliminating yourself before the competition even gets a chance. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:52 PM 
Bridge Dweller

They apparently changed it somehow today, not the 10-day reactivation but you have to reactive if you go online or download stuff, etc.

The game will still fucking suck. /thread over

Offline Profile