It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Balearic
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/1 ... -citizens/

Quote:
In a secret government agreement granted without approval or debate from lawmakers, the U.S. attorney general recently gave the National Counterterrorism Center sweeping new powers to store dossiers on U.S. citizens, even if they are not suspected of a crime, according to a news report.

Quote:
Whereas previously the law prohibited the center from storing data compilations on U.S. citizens unless they were suspected of terrorist activity or were relevant to an ongoing terrorism investigation, the new powers give the center the ability to not only collect and store vast databases of information but also to trawl through and analyze it for suspicious patterns of behavior in order to uncover activity that could launch an investigation.

The changes granted by Holder would also allow databases containing information about U.S. citizens to be shared with foreign governments for their own analysis.

Quote:
The Obama administration’s new rules come after previous surveillance proposals were struck down during the Bush administration, following widespread condemnation.

And yes, this is a natural outgrowth of the Patriot Act. I opposed the Patriot Act then because of how it limited freedom, and I oppose this latest abomination now for the same reason. But,as egregious as it was, at least the Patriot Act was enacted as a law the way the Constitution demands (approved by both houses of Congress and signed by the President), not secretly put in place by the executive branch without any input from Congress. But I'll bet the people who re-elected The One have absolutely no problem with this because "it won't be used against us," even though a few years ago they howled about Bush's attacks on privacy and civil liberties. Funny how that "D" or "R" after a name alters one's opinions, isn't it?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
I don't think anyone here unconditionally trusts Obama, so whatever partisan vitriol you're trying to stir up here is pretty far misplaced. That said, the US PATRIOT Act was shit then and this is shit now, thanks for the update no one asked for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:10 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Not putting words in my mouth is a good thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:16 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Randy says there's a spider on your shoulder.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:24 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Yeah that Patriot Act was the end of all of us!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:09 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

CakvalaSC wrote:
Yeah that Patriot Act was the end of all of us!

Have no doubt whatsoever, it will be a major contributing catalyst for what does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 PM 

Hey Bale, your signature is a quote from Cicero. Did he actually say that or did you rip it from some conservative propaganda bullshit circulating the internet via chain letter ...a reliable source I know but it makes me question your ability look at anything objectively.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
1965 "A Pillar of Iron" book by Taylor Caldwell.
Fictional book about Cicero

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 PM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
randy wrote:
I don't think anyone here unconditionally trusts Obama, so whatever partisan vitriol you're trying to stir up here is pretty far misplaced. That said, the US PATRIOT Act was shit then and this is shit now, thanks for the update no one asked for.

I don't trust Nobama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Here's a tip for everyone

Don't trust any politician, period

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Draconi wrote:
Here's a tip for everyone

Don't trust any politician, period

At one point in our civilizations future things will change once people get their heads out of their asses, but until then we are stuck where we are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
The original post is cherry-picked. Is there a link to the original?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 PM 

EQ1: Balearic
The link to the original article was in my first post, Tranthas. THere's a link in the story to another story in the Wall Street Journal.

Quote:
Hey Bale, your signature is a quote from Cicero. Did he actually say that or did you rip it from some conservative propaganda bullshit circulating the internet via chain letter ...a reliable source I know but it makes me question your ability look at anything objectively.
Hey Kiti, way to avoid the actual issue (illegal government surveillance of the general public) through use of a pathetic straw man (the irrelevant "where'd you get that quote?" question).

I don't remember where I got that quote, or when it was tacked onto my sig. But that, of course, isn't the point -- the point is to discredit me and anyone else who thinks the government is way out of line in what it does, whose business it pokes its nose into, and its reasons for doing so. Oh, I know that Jesus Christ's better-looking, more godly half-brother Barack Hussein Obama would never do anything to attack his political enemies in any way -- that's just a figment of Bill O'Reilly's imagination. The fact remains that your apparent hero engages in behavior that is the same as, if not worse than, George W. Bush's when it comes to personal privacy and civil rights and liberties (aside from ensuring that town bicycles get all the rubbers they want at taxpayer expense); but instead of pondering the implications of that knowledge, or offering a defense of the indefensible, you decide to ask where I ran across a quote. What a colossal example of intellect you are!

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I'm sure your life has changed so much since you posted that stuff back in December. Damn that Big Brother!@

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I don't know who necros more threads around here, Tranthas or Bale.

Probably Tranthas, Bale just necros them to flame whoever disagreed with him.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 AM 

Bale wrote:
Hey Kiti, way to avoid the actual issue (illegal government surveillance of the general public) through use of a pathetic straw man (the irrelevant "where'd you get that quote?" question).

I'm not a US citizen so have little interest in the topic. I just like making fun of idiots.

Quote:
What a colossal example of intellect you are!

You're still quoting a made up quote btw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

It all starts with the Xbox One kinect enabling them to listen to everything in your living room and recording you in the dark even when the machine is shut down!!! ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
"Xbox...turn on PS4." Is all they're gonna get out of me!

Offline Profile