All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:09 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Anyone who claims they can text while driving at the speed limit and still be a safe driver is a moron.

I don't care how good of a driver you are, if you are texting while driving you are putting everyone else on the road at risk for your stupidity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

The funny thing about impairments and distractions is that you never really realize the severity of them until something actually happens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:52 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Or at least let's get some flying cars up in here. Three dimensions has to ease traffice a little, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I would be curious how something like a licensing system would work out for something similar to this, but it could be more encompassing than just cell phone use(laptops, other gadgets.. for people who drive taxis/courier services and coordinate, for example). It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a rigorous test where one's coordination could be tested under various split-second circumstances. It's granted that there are countless variables at play here that could throw off even the most experienced/skilled driver, but that can happen under normal driving conditions with the average driver anyway under the same measurement(as pointed out multiple times here).

Sure as heck would beat the single-minded "one size fits all" and "everyone is the same", or "it's impossible since I can't do it" mentalities 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I would just like to be able to legally drive 10-20mph over the speed limit. Give me a speed driving test and I'll be happy.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:49 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen: Why not a DUI permit? You see where this can go, this selective-enforcement-by-exception thing we're talking about now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:23 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

You sound exactly like the guy that says he drives better after some drinks, Venen.

Like I said above, the thing about distractions and impairments is that you never realize how much you're distracted or impaired until something actually happens. Hospital beds and graveyards are littered with the broken bodies of people who - like you - thought they were just soooo good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 PM 

And there probably are people who drive better after a few drinks. I'm not one of them, but I'm open-minded enough to realize that everyone's brain works a little differently under various circumstances. Are there likely fewer people whom claim it that actually DO drive better after a few drinks? Absolutely. But that doesn't eliminate the possibility that some who make the claim are correct about themselves.

Same is true for people who think they're better drivers. The majority who say it probably have bad perception about themselves and their capabilities. Then, there are some that are simply better. I've seen enough peoples' reaction time and judgment(not just in driving, but in many other circumstances that require quick reflexes and ability) to the point where I know I wouldn't find myself in the same circumstance and fail. I'm also intelligent enough to do only what I am capable of given the situation, and not allow it to go to my head, which is where many accidents are found amongst very capable drivers.

I also realize what I am bad at, and I know I'm worse at many things compared to other people. That perception is where the difference lies.

Are we simply to preclude that everyone is the same because there are many who "don't realize it until it happens"? Nonsense.

Quote:
Venen: Why not a DUI permit?

Per my earlier quote as Vanamar continued his long quest to find a double standard:

Quote:
Thus the finer point I made about a chemical that mentally impairs by nature and that of options. The question remains to which degree individually, sure, but it's a situation in which you have no choice in the matter. My point, as illustrated, is that you take any number of steps to rectify a supposedly "distracting" situation, whereas in the former it affects you innately.

However, I can see where your slippery slope argument has some merit. Still, it's just that. I think we can draw reasonable limits to where a license is warranted. In this case, I drew the parallel with drivers that have jobs in which it helps to have some coordination via various devices.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:57 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Everyone IS the same, Venen. Some of these are objective, observable, and seriously detrimental effects. When you look down at your phone for a second while traveling 60 miles per hour, you travel 88 feet. That is true no matter who you are-- it is simple math. 88 feet where you are not looking in the direction you are following. That is a huge distance to travel with a 2000 pound piece of metal in a lethal speed. In those 88 feet anything or anyone can jump into your path and you won't even see it before you hit it.

It doesn't matter how good you are... the best driver in the world cannot avoid an obstacle he or she never sees.

You are not special.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:57 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Or maybe you're special. But no one will draft the Venen Law making you personally exempt from the laws the rest of us follow, just because you're so awesome you can safely take risks the rest of us can't. You'll just have to pull your punches until evolution catches the rest of the race up to your specs, and then we can redefine the standard when it's safe for the average mortal to slurp six vodka tonics and then drift race.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:05 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
NHTSA & Virginia Tech Transportation Institute study
Quote:
NHTSA, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Release Findings of Breakthrough Research on Real-World Driver Behavior, Distraction and Crash Factors
Driver inattention is the leading factor in most crashes and near-crashes, according to a landmark research report released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI).
Nearly 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the event. Primary causes of driver inattention are distracting activities, such as cell phone use, and drowsiness.
“This important research illustrates the potentially dire consequences that can occur while driving distracted or drowsy. It’s crucial that drivers always be alert when on the road,” said Jacqueline Glassman, acting administrator of NHTSA. Her remarks were made during a news conference today at VTTI in Blacksburg, VA.
The 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study tracked the behavior of the drivers of 100 vehicles equipped with video and sensor devices for more than one year. During that time, the vehicles were driven nearly 2,000,000 miles, yielding 42,300 hours of data. The 241 drivers of the vehicles were involved in 82 crashes, 761 near crashes, and 8,295 critical incidents.
“The huge database developed through this breakthrough study is enormously valuable in helping us to understand—and prevent—motor vehicle crashes,” said Dr. Tom Dingus, director of VTTI.
In addition, a follow-on analysis to the 100-Car Study has also been released. Focused on the types of driver inattention and their associated risk, key findings include:
• Drowsiness is a significant problem that increases a driver’s risk of a crash or near-crash by at least a factor of four. But drowsy driving may be significantly under-reported in police crash investigations.
• The most common distraction for drivers is the use of cell phones. However, the number of crashes and near-crashes attributable to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
• Reaching for a moving object increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times; looking at an external object by 3.7 times; reading by 3 times; applying makeup by 3 times; dialing a hand-held device (typically a cell phone) by almost 3 times; and talking or listening on a hand-held device by 1.3 times.
• Drivers who engage frequently in distracting activities are more likely to be involved in an inattention-related crash or near-crash. However, drivers are often unable to predict when it is safe to look away from the road to multi-task because the situation can change abruptly leaving the driver no time to react even when looking away from the forward roadway for only a brief time.
The 100-Car Study and its follow-on analysis were co-sponsored by NHTSA, the Virginia Transportation Research Council (the research division of the Virginia Department of Transportation) and Virginia Tech.

We know it is dangerous. How can we have people perform less of this activity without excessive regulations?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I don't know. I'm already doing all I can, just by assuming that absolutely no one else on the road can see or react to me, ever. I drive like everyone else is drunk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:53 AM 

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Tranthas wrote:
I don't know. I'm already doing all I can, just by assuming that absolutely no one else on the road can see or react to me, ever. I drive like everyone else is drunk.

When I drive, I assume everyone else out there driving on the road is a fucking idiotstick fuckwit who texts while they drive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:16 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

So really, we're getting to the same place by different routes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 AM 

True, but Miramicha at Work really drove that point home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I know, right? I want an idiotstick now.

Offline Profile