It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I know there was some talk about this recently, so I wanted to share this from today's news: http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2011/ ... -ar-252458

2% of welfare recipients tested positive, or 20 out of 1000.

Over the course of a year, Florida could save as much as... $60,000. And that's assuming legal challenges don't eat that up.

And how does that 2% compare to the population as a whole? Are those welfarees really the bunch of dope smoking slackers they're being made out to be?
Quote:
According to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, performed by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services, 8.7 percent of the population nationally over age 12 uses illicit drugs.
Doesn't look like it. Even if you assume the other 2% that didn't take the test for whatever reason are all druggies.

Assuming this program does actually save a few bucks, I rate it a D. It works in that it saves the state some money, but so that the opportunity cost probably isn't worthwhile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Good find. Reminds me of a similar study conducted recently in New York that found no correlation between being poor and committing crimes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I thought the general consensus was that there's more alcohol abuse among poor people, not drugs. I'd like to see the studies on that instead =p It's definitely a waste of money, if for no other reason than it ignores the main charge!

I could care less whether these people use drugs or alcohol, though. The bottom line is that they need help, and not just 5 bucks tossed out the car window to make the driver feel good. While I don't support laziness in general, I do think people are born into many of these situations without a fighting chance. If no one in a person's life is able to give them a proper mindset to be focused and determined, the outlook is often pretty grim from what I've seen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
It was me, thanks Leo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Sarissa wrote:
Good find. Reminds me of a similar study conducted recently in New York that found no correlation between being poor and committing crimes.

I believe it was a study consisting of two subjects, Billy Ray Valentine, and Louis Winthorp III wasn't it?

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

So why not make them work to get their money instead? There are lots of streets and highways that need cleaned up. Think community service type projects in order to get your welfare money.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:25 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
So why not make them work to get their money instead? There are lots of streets and highways that need cleaned up. Think community service type projects in order to get your welfare money.

Picking up trash on the side of the road as "work" is really no better than the drug testing though. It's not going to really save any money, it'll probably end up costing even more money once logistics are taken into account. All it really does it make people who aren't on Welfare feel better because "those moochers" are doing something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:14 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Kenyana wrote:

There are also companies who do that already, are you going to put people out of a job in order to let people get their welfare check?

Sort of working at cross purposes, no?

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Larreth wrote:
Sarissa wrote:

I believe it was a study consisting of two subjects, Billy Ray Valentine, and Louis Winthorp III wasn't it?

That was Phildelphia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The reason it's not done is the same reason prisoner labor was limited. Businesses complained they could not compete with the wages. That doesn't mean there is not a way to do it. They could, for instance, start with cleaning up in low income neighborhoods.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

[quote="Leolan"]2% of welfare recipients tested positive, or 20 out of 1000.quote]

The population of Welfare reciepiants is a bit different today as it was 10 years ago. I assume that 2% was more like 10% 10 yers ago. The recession added a lot more non-users to the roster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
good find Leo. Something to think about.

The only question I have about the Florida plan is since the person receiving welfare is to pay for their own test, would a person that is knowingly taking drugs even take the test? What were the number of people getting a check the month prior to the law being enacted and the months after? How many "unclaimed checks" were there?

I am not automatically assuming that the test results would be much higher, but those numbers would help to understand the full picture.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Krby: I can't answer those questions, but I can tell you the report said that in addition to the 2% who tested positive, another 2% didn't take the test -- it just didn't include reasons, but I think it'd be fair to assume that at least part of that additional 2% didn't take it because they knew the result would be positive.

Garborg: While it's true that the recession added a lot more people to the jobless rolls, I don't think we can legitimately form any conclusions based on that alone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Since the test in this example is given to every applicant when they apply, I imagine there is a contingent that simply did not apply knowing they would fail. This is in excess of the 2% that applied and did not take the test.

I don't believe welfare reciepiants would be higher or lower in average drug use, at least not by a large margin either way. I believe the national average is much higher than 2%, but I'm just going off memory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I believe welfare recipients would be higher in average drug use. I don't have any figures either, but I am just going off memory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 PM 

Either way it'll certainly be nice to get some more conclusive results! I've been chomping at the bit to eliminate this massive possibility, as opposed to alcoholism.

Next up: Study declares that my opening an umbrella indoors was NOT the cause of my clumsy slip on the stairway this morning.

While we're at it let's rule out that the planet Nibiru was the cause of the Virginia earthquake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
My first instinct is to expect that drug use isn't any more common among welfare recipients than it is among those who can afford nicer drugs, but the whole thing is meaningless if we can't find out which specific drugs the test is trying to detect, and by what method(s).

Offline Profile