It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:42 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jon Huntsman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

So, admittedly I don't know alot about him but everything I've seen I like. He's announcing on Tuesday and I am looking forward to seeing his announcement speech. He's fiscally conservative and socially liberal, right up my alley. My only concern is how can he get through the Republican primary?

Anyway, do any of you have concerns about his position on issues?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jon Huntsman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

His positions on some issues from wikipedia:

Quote:
Huntsman is a Republican, with conservative fiscal credentials and a mixture of positions on social issues. He has been described as "a conservative technocrat-optimist with moderate positions who was willing to work substantively with President Barack Obama."[48] As governor, Huntsman listed economic development, health-care reform, education, and energy security as his top priorities. He oversaw large tax cuts and advocated reorganizing the way that services were distributed so that the government would not become overwhelmed by the state's fast growing population. He also proposed a plan to reform health-care, mainly through the private sector, by using tax breaks and negotiation to keep prices down.[49] In 2007, when asked about a healthcare mandate, Huntsman said, "I'm comfortable with a requirement -- you can call it whatever you want, but at some point we're going to have to get serious about how we deal with this issue".[50]

In a 2008 evaluation of state governors' fiscal policies, the libertarian Cato Institute praised Huntsman's conservative tax policies, ranking him in a tie for fifth place on overall fiscal policy. He was particularly lauded for his efforts to cut taxes, where he received the highest score on tax policy of all 50 governors. The report specifically highlighted his reductions of the sales tax and simplification of the tax code.[51] However, the report concluded that: "Unfortunately, Huntsman has completely dropped the ball on spending, with per capita spending increasing at about 10 percent annually during his tenure."[51] He defines his taxation policy as "business friendly".[52] Huntsman has spoken out against his own party over the failure of the Republican-controlled State Senate to confirm his nominee for the Utah Court of Appeals.

Huntsman has strongly supported civil unions for years but not same-sex marriage.[53] As Utah's Governor, he supported legislation that would have allowed civil unions for same-sex couples in the state.[54] The governor also sees Utah as being uncompetitive with the rest of the nation in terms of securing the best teachers.[55]

In 2007, in response to the problem of global warming, Huntsman signed the Western Climate Initiative, by which Utah joined with other governments in agreeing to pursue targets for reduced production of greenhouse gases.[56] He also appeared in an advertisement sponsored by Environmental Defense, in which he said, "Now it's time for Congress to act by capping greenhouse-gas pollution."[56] In 2011, however, Huntsman said, "Cap-and-trade ideas aren’t working; it hasn’t worked, and our economy’s in a different place than five years ago. Much of this discussion happened before the bottom fell out of the economy, and until it comes back, this isn’t the moment."[57]

On foreign policy, Huntsman has repeatedly stated, "We need to continue working closely with China to convince North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program." He has also named Taiwan, human rights, and Tibet among the "areas where we have differences with China" and vowed "robust engagement" on human rights if confirmed. The governor, who lived in Taiwan as a Mormon missionary, said he felt "personally invested in the peaceful resolution of cross-strait differences, in a way that respects the wishes of the people on both Taiwan and the mainland. He said that current US policy "supports this objective, and I have been encouraged by the recent relaxing of cross-strait tensions."[58] Huntsman is a strong supporter of Israel and has made several visits to Israel.[59]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 AM 

Kulamiena wrote:
...who lived in Taiwan as a Mormon missionary

zero chance

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
He would have to make a huge splash in the GOP primaries. I would see that he would need to run on his conservative economic record during the primaries and then tout his social libertarian-ness during the general if he could get that far.

He seems to have a good grasp on "It is the economy! Stupid" that needs to be the first, second, and third thing focuses on during a campaign.

Since he was former ambassador to China, he has a better understanding of the rising force in the world than any of the other candidates (probably even better than the president)

The Mormon thing will hurt him in some primaries. (I wish that it wouldn't, a person's religion or lack of religion should NOT be an issue in political races)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Time article on Huntsman:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 03,00.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Just reading this for now -- I'll do the full research thing later. Just got home from work and I'm tired. A few questions though:
Quote:
As governor, Huntsman listed economic development, health-care reform, education, and energy security as his top priorities.
Do we know this person's definition of "energy security?" Does it sound more like "wars in oil-producing countries" when I say it?
Quote:
However, the report concluded that: "Unfortunately, Huntsman has completely dropped the ball on spending, with per capita spending increasing at about 10 percent annually during his tenure."
I'd like to hear his response to that statement. Sometimes an increase in spending is the right decision, and this lacks context.
Quote:
Huntsman has strongly supported civil unions for years but not same-sex marriage.
This is disappointing. Has he explained why he thinks this is the right decision?
Quote:
The governor also sees Utah as being uncompetitive with the rest of the nation in terms of securing the best teachers.
I started to say that's gotta be propaganda, then I looked up census data. In 2008, Utah was ranked 7th in attainment of high school diploma's; 17th in attainment of Bachelor's degrees or higher; and 24th in attainment of advanced degrees. That being said, BYU and its feeder schools enjoy something of a captive audience, and from a secular perspective, the integrity of their curriculum has been criticized for excessive focus on religious studies at the expense of other social sciences.
Quote:
The governor, who lived in Taiwan as a Mormon missionary,
Weeeelllll....
Quote:
Huntsman is a strong supporter of Israel and has made several visits to Israel.
Yeah, we'll probably forgive him for the Taiwan thing. We loves us some Israel.

Offline Profile