All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Unlike the doom and gloom reports we have been seeing in the US. Here is an article I found on the Register (a UK IT journal) that paints a different story of what has been going on at the Japanese Nuclear power plants that were affected by the quake and tsunami. Full Article here

Quote:
The situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear powerplant in Japan, badly damaged during the extremely severe earthquake and tsunami there a week ago, continues to stabilise. It is becoming more probable by the day that public health consequences will be zero and radiation health effects among workers at the site will be so minor as to be hard to measure. Nuclear experts are beginning to condemn the international hysteria which has followed the incident in increasingly blunt terms.

Seawater cooling of the three damaged reactor cores (Nos 1, 2 and 3) at the site continues. US officials and other foreign commentators continued to remain focused on a spent-fuel storage pool at the No 4 reactor (whose fuel had been removed and placed in the pool some three months prior to the quake).

Despite this, operations by Japanese powerplant technicians, military personnel and emergency services at the site focused instead on cooling the spent-fuel pool at the No 3 building, and on restoring grid electrical power at the plant. Japanese officials continued to contend that water remained in the No 4 pool and the situation there was less serious than that at No 3. Police riot vehicles mounting powerful water cannon and fire trucks were used to douse the spent-fuel pool at No 3 with water, causing steam to emerge – confirming that some cooling at least was being achieved. One of the fire trucks was reportedly lent by US military units based locally, though operated by Japanese troops.

World Nuclear News reports that radiation levels have generally decreased across the plant, though they remain hazardous in the immediate area of reactors 2 and 3; levels also climb temporarily when technicians open valves to vent steam from the damaged cores in order to allow fresh seawater coolant to be pumped in, prompting teams to retreat before venting is carried out. Nonetheless 180 personnel are now working within the site where and when radiation levels permit them to do so safely

continuing
Quote:
Some more details on casualties thus far have been released, reported by WNN. It turns out that there has been one confirmed death, but not at the Daiichi plant at all: a worker who was in a crane cab at the separate Fukushima Daini plant (where all reactors are now confirmed to be safely in cold shutdown) was killed when the quake hit. Two more workers, this time at the Daiichi plant, are still listed as missing since the quake and tsunami hit. Six more required medical help following the quake, one suffering two broken legs.

A further 15 non-radiological injuries have resulted from hydrogen explosions at the site, though some of these were minor in nature and the individuals concerned returned to duty shortly after.

As to radiation-related issues, there has been one case of measurable significance. Earlier in the week when workers were still limited to a total dose of 100 millisievert, one individual breached this limit during venting operations and consequently was evacuated to hospital. As noted above, personnel are now permitted to sustain doses of 250 millisievert.
In summary it appears more and more that health consequences from reactor damage will be extremely minimal even for workers at the site. It will now be a surprise if anyone who has not been inside the plant gates this week is affected by the situation at at all – apart from all the people worldwide who have been taking iodide pills or eating salt unnecessarily. There may also be measurable psychological health effects from the global media-driven hysteria surrounding the situation, of course.

"Experience from past nuclear incidents has shown that the stress and panic caused by these events can be as bad as, or worse than, the direct threat from radiation," according to Dr Jim Smith of Portsmouth uni's School of Earth and Environmental Sciences.

Analysis
The Fukushima reactors actually came through the quake with flying colours despite the fact that it was five times stronger than they had been built to withstand. Only with the following tsunami – again, bigger than the design allowed for – did problems develop, and these problems seem likely to end in insignificant consequences. The Nos 1, 2 and 3 reactors at Daiichi may never produce power again – though this is not certain – but the likelihood is that Nos 4, 5 and 6 will return to service behind a bigger tsunami barrier.

Knowing that the anti-nuclear power crowd will add this to the Chernobyl and TMI list of nuclear issues, I hope that the people will realize that we can not and should not abandon nuclear power nor should we abandon developing next generations of facilities. What scares me is that all of the US reactors are generations old designs (with some operational upgrades of course, but they are still the old design).

If we are to get serious about producing clean, less-expensive, and highly available power, Nuclear is the best choice right now. The next generation of nuclear power plants are designed (have have shown) to be able to utilize existing nuclear waste as fuel and to have a near zero nuclear waste. We were close to getting something like that built and now the anti-nuke people will set that advancement back even more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 AM 

bah, would someone fix the url link in the top of that post?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
okay.

edit: to the fixing of your url.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:35 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Overall, I am ok with nuclear power as a source of energy.

HOWEVER, and this is important to me... we have to be responsible with our use of any resources. Unfortunately, I do not see how we can feel totally comfortable about creating waste products that are lethal to humanity within their proximity for thousands of years. We have no way to guarantee that these waste products will be kept safely away from us without shooting it into space.

Doesn't this bother you, even a little bit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 AM 

Newer designs of reactors can take the waste products of the fuel rods, reprocess them and use them as fuel again, lessening any waste that has to be stored.

Also -- what's wrong with actually shooting it into space? Take the superman iv solution and shoot it into the sun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
[img]gcitystroll.jpg[/img]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Two potential problems. What happens when a launch fails and we have another mid-air explosion? We'd have radioactive material scattered as far as the eye can see. Two, the cost would be horrendous.

The way things are now, our only real option is to bury the waste.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 PM 

eventually you run out of places to bury it, and a more permanent solution needs to be implemented.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:45 PM 

there is the option that Van mentioned (as well as my mention in the original comment).

The next generation of reactors, that have yet to be built in the US (GE already has the designs, it has been tested and proven safe) would be able to use the existing nuclear waste as fuel. That alone should be be a reason to explore moving to them as it would solve the issue of "dealing with" the nuclear waste.

We were moving forward with the IFR/Fast Breeder design when the Clinton Administration shut the entire project down. The full documents on why this was shut down have not been revealed. The scientists and engineers that were at the Argonne National Laboratory approved of the design and tested it as safe.

I would like to see these become part of the new power structure in the US. Maybe these power plants and rebuilding the power grid could be our generation's greatest gift to the world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:21 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Vanamar wrote:
eventually you run out of places to bury it, and a more permanent solution needs to be implemented.
I agree, especially beings I think that moving away from fossil fuels is impractical without liberal use of nuclear technology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 PM 

I'm sorry.. but until you change your avatar, I can't focus on your posts Vana.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:05 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Vanamar wrote:
Newer designs of reactors can take the waste products of the fuel rods, reprocess them and use them as fuel again, lessening any waste that has to be stored.

Also -- what's wrong with actually shooting it into space? Take the superman iv solution and shoot it into the sun.

Heh, until one of those rockets fails on launch and blows a metric crapton of fallout over it's entire flight path.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Devyn wrote:
Vanamar wrote:
I agree, especially beings I think that moving away from fossil fuels is impractical without liberal use of nuclear technology.

Eventually? Sure. But that would take a VERY long time (relative to the current advance of science).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:11 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Blargh, I meant ot quote Vana.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Devyn wrote:
What happens when a launch fails and we have another mid-air explosion? We'd have radioactive material scattered as far as the eye can see.

As if the rare occurrence of that happening (most likely) is any better than the, god knows how many thousands or millions of tons of crap energy waste we're spewing into it RIGHT NOW, is any better? That shit's guaranteed to enter our atmosphere.

I'll take a chance on a once a decade launched waste rocket blowing up once maybe every 30-40 years to reduce or eliminate most energy waste that we spew by the mega ton into our lives right now.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Nuclear reactors only produce that amount of waste when they are used to process weapons materials. Purely power driven reactors create much less waste than people think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 AM 

But not ZERO nuclear waste, so the problem remains.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 PM 

But Frib, are you following me on the IFR reactor? It produces no long half-life waste and has the ability to remove the waste we (and the world) are creating now.

Would that alone be a reason to push forward on that reactor?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:47 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Fribur wrote:

No. No, no, no, no and NO. The proper quote is "But not ZERO nuclear waste, so A problem remains." Not THE problem. "A" problem is not anywhere what some of the nuke haters would claim THE problem to be (usually 25+ year old out of date information based on horribly implemented Soviet Bloc technology).

If you have a cell phone and a computer, get used to understanding that maintaining a Yucca mountain like facility, that with emerging technologies can hold FAR more waste, that will likely be processed via bacteria or reprocessing anyway, than can possibly be generated with current fuel stockpiles, is a very small price to pay for our existing energy consumption.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 PM 

Quote:
There's no silver bullet magical solution to the world's energy problems.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 PM 

Quote:
It produces no long half-life waste and has the ability to remove the waste we (and the world) are creating now.

Is this true? I want to read about this!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:41 PM 

This is a site that would be considered pro-nuke but has a good basis of the IFR:
http://www.sustainablenuclear.org/PADs/pad0509till.html

Here is an Esquire Mag story about Eric Loewen (talking about how the IFR could be implemented:
http://www.esquire.com/features/best-an ... posal-1209

Frontline interview with Dr. Charles Till, Nuclear physicist and associate lab director at Argonne National Laboratory West in Idaho. He is co-developer of the Integral Fast Reactor, an inherently safe nuclear reactor with a closed fuel cycle.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /till.html

Hopefully those will give you some information about IFR. I like to use Steve Kirsch's (See the wiki page about Mr. Kirsch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kirsch) blog as a jumping off point. He is a huge clean environment person that is a proponent of IFR (and the founder of the Kirsch Foundation in California that awards grants for clean Earth project that have an impact)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Nuclear material is very very heavy, so it's generally measured in volume but protested in "tons".

In terms of what the nuclear power industry considers waste, it is a fuel rod that can no longer cost-effectively be used in its current form in the reactor. If they just toss it, it's like 20 cubic meters per reactor per year. If they reprocess it, it's more like 5. Probably less, and it's not all highly radioactive. Still dangerous but not hugely long-lived.

The fuel rods aren't "bad", they just gain impurities that make them unusable to produce power in their current form. A "spent" nuclear rod still contains ~95% usable fuel. And companies being profit seeking entities they pitch it.

The other 5% is "waste" but that does not mean it's useless. It's only useless by today's technological standards.

It's not a huge amount of waste when you consider the toxic waste, air pollution, and (yes) radioactive material released by burning coal. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I also remember reading about experiments using lasers at one of the national labs that can cut the radioactivity of a plant's iodine-129 to half an hour. The system is terribly expensive though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:34 AM 

Sarissa wrote:
A "spent" nuclear rod still contains ~95% usable fuel. And companies being profit seeking entities they pitch it.

It is the IFR reactors that can utilize the "spent" rod to get more of that ~95%

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:24 AM 

http://us.cnn.com/interactive/2011/03/w ... index.html

Use the slider at the bottom. Cool page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Wow thats crazy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

its amazing what a little bit of water can do

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile