All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Keith Olbermann, host of MSNBC's "Countdown," told viewers that Friday was his last night on the air with the network.
Story

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:44 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Abrupt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Apparently it had something to do with the comcast takeover.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 PM 

according to stories that I have been reading it wasn't the Comcast deal. Olbermann had been threatening to leave for a while and wanted a new deal. The one that e signed to leave did pay him out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 AM 

Quote:
Comcast issued an official statement Friday denying any involvement in the decision, saying it had no operational control of the company yet, and adding: “We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBC Universal’s news operations. We have not and we will not.”
Months before Comcast was expected to gain control of NBC Universal, Comcast officials were worried about the perception that they might interfere with MSNBC for political reasons.

One executive, who asked not to be identified because Comcast had instructed employees not to speak about the situation, said the company dreaded the prospect of being blamed if Mr. Olbermann were to quit soon after the takeover.

Full story: here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:00 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Olbermann has been a joke since he left ESPN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 AM 

Olbermann was a joke WHILE HE WAS AT ESPN

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:03 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Olbermann has offered more sobering commentary and cogent discussions than 90% of this board will ever offer up. Not trying to be a dick, just saying that calling the man a "joke" is pretty stupid -- because any way you slice the pie, the guy crafted a message and could deliver -- whether or not you agree with his views.

I know I'm a die-hard liberal Democrat and would be accused of liberal commentators like Olbermann as a matter of fact -- but that's not the case, there are plenty of lefty people in the media that make me cringe. However, his points were so much more on-point and well-crafted than any right wing commentator or pundit I can think of.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 PM 

I was commenting about his late tenure at ESPN. Before he left, he thought he was bigger than the network and became an ass.

I didn't watch him on MSNBC to comment. I knew that I didn't like him anymore before he left ESPN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah -- I saw that. I was referring more towards Neesha. I am indifferent towards his performance at ESPN.

Wanna talk about jokes? Let's talk Joe Buck...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

xskycrasherx wrote:
Olbermann has offered more sobering commentary and cogent discussions than 90% of this board will ever offer up. Not trying to be a dick, just saying that calling the man a "joke" is pretty stupid -- because any way you slice the pie, the guy crafted a message and could deliver -- whether or not you agree with his views.

I know I'm a die-hard liberal Democrat and would be accused of liberal commentators like Olbermann as a matter of fact -- but that's not the case, there are plenty of lefty people in the media that make me cringe. However, his points were so much more on-point and well-crafted than any right wing commentator or pundit I can think of.

I more or less agree with you. He was a bit of a drama whore and his delivery seemed overly snarky, but he did call a bunch of asshats out, particularly people like Hannity, O'Riley, and Beck whose constant doucebaggery antics on the Faux "News" network can't be made fun of enough. While not the voice of reason some may make him out to be, I think he brought some clever opposing points of view to the hard-lined Republican-right that made them collectively look rather stupid. Maybe it was just his delivery...maybe it is because they are collectively stupid...maybe it was a combination of the two. Any way you slice it, I think it's a bummer that one of the few opposing view points to the Republican-right has been silenced. I am quite sure Hannity, O'Riley, Beck, and all their asshat followers all see this as a "win" in their column...always taking credit where no credit it due.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
For me, Olbermann was pretty far on the left and his bias showed, he wasn't shy about it, but I did enjoy his rants and am not disqualifying his perspective. But i'd be lying if I didn't admit he was a "left" version Bill O'Reilly for me.

Stewart, on the other hand, is pretty much "moderate" across the board in my opinion, which is why I think he's long since earned the title of the "voice to listen to". What is interesting to me is that while I view him as a moderate, I'm pretty sure most of the self professed "right wing" on these boards probably see him as far left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'd consider Olbermann the "left' version of O'Riley, or Hannity, as well. At least Olbermann made sense with his snipes. He didn't pull any of this "the moon rises, the moon sets...the tides rise, the tides fall," bullshit O'Riley is famous for. Don't even get me started on Hannity...that guy is as worthless as a hooker at a eunuch convention.

Stewart is more or less a moderate and tends to take popshots at anyone that does or says something stupid. It's sad to know Comedy Central "news" personas are more legitimate than news media giants' "news" personas. Then again, Hannity, O'Riley, and Beck aren't really in news; they are into right-wing/paranoia opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Absolutely agree, man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 PM 

Olbermann made 10-minute rants using slightly bigger words than the public is used to hearing over issues that could have been summarized in a couple sentences with the same effect. At the end of one, no intelligent/knowledgable person is left with any more insight than they began with. They're more boring and repetitive than the President's speech tonight is likely to be, which says quite a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Venen wrote:
Olbermann made 10-minute rants using slightly bigger words than the public is used to hearing over issues that could have been summarized in a couple sentences with the same effect. At the end of one, no intelligent/knowledgable person is left with any more insight than they began with. They're more boring and repetitive than the President's speech tonight is likely to be, which says quite a bit.

The irony of this post is astounding.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 PM 

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Venen wrote:

The irony of this post is astounding.

Lol no fucking shit. Haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:59 PM 

To the blind eye I'm sure some of my old long-windeds seemed repetitive, but I could still go point by point on almost any of my old rants and tell you exactly why they're addressing distinct, separate issues. Being stupid doesn't preclude you from seeing the completely obvious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 PM 
I schooled the old school.

So the short version of that one would be, "You're wrong and I'm right."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 PM 

That'd be the incomplete version =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 AM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Olbermann's rants are repetitive and empty, and I'm going to make a post where I literally say this same thing three times in a row.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:45 PM 

Really? A hurr durr meme? You seriously belong on 4chan. I can't believe after all these years you still display the maturity of a 15-year-old. Poor recreational trolling is one thing, but this is a whole new level 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 PM 

I was drunk as hell last night but it still elicits a chuckle even sober..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:21 PM 

I don't even know what it refers to. I guess I'm just not cool enough?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
You were never cool enough Frib. ;)

I like Olbermann a lot, but that being said, I've only sat down and watched a segment maybe a half dozen times...perhaps a dozen...and only then when someone else sent it to me. I don't seek him out because, as someone else pointed out, he really offers no insight on issues. I don't walk away with any new perspective, insight, or often even new information. Instead it's merely a nod festival while I enjoy the wordsmithing of someone clever.

Which is probably why I never watched him on a regular basis.

Offline Profile