It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:31 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Should Muslim women wearing hijabs go through full body pat downs before boarding planes?
YES. Everyone means Everyone. 95%  95%  [ 19 ]
NO. It is against their religion. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:14 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I actually met him at a book signing a couple weeks ago.
He was pretty laid back.
Here is the link:
http://www.TheBlaze.com

Here is one story on it that is messed up.
Quote:
When asked today if she will insist that Muslim women wearing hijabs must go through full body pat downs before boarding planes, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano did not say yes or no, but told CNSNews.com there will be “adjustments” and “more to come” on the issue.

In my humble opinion, everyone being searched means EVERYONE!

Video on the link:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/napolitano-on-muslim-women-pat-downs-more-to-come/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:37 AM 
I schooled the old school.

But not everyone has to go through pat downs as it is....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
But not everyone has to go through pat downs as it is....

Beck: Why is it that - under the Obama administration - some muslims are exempt from getting their identification checked when buying dangerous, potentially explosive, alcoholic products in YOUR local supermarkets?!?!

Us: .....wait, what? I, um, I don't always get carded anymore either. It's because they're fucking old?

Beck: It's further evidence of a conspiracy set in motion by this administration to put our AMERICAN values of FAITH, LOVE, and CHARITY at risk. Our *Founding Fathers* are rolling over in their graves today, people. Do you think they had Muslims like these in mind when they penned our great Constitution? Of course not. We need to fight back against this Shariah law that's being shoved down our throats, and it begins with YOU!

-------

Seriously, people. Are we not sick of that guy, yet? Are we not used to his standard nonsense? To use a term we might all be familiar with....stop feeding that troll.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
I'm a republican, although as I stated I'm much more towards the center, and honestly I treat Beck like I do the crazy cat lady down the street, don't like her, feel sorry for her, but she's entitled to say and live how she wants.

So Glenn Beck = Crazy Cat Lady

but he has a ton of followers, and as many on this board are unhappy about it, the USA is still a predominatly red country

hell I'm not afraid to list my presidential votes over the last few elections, seems like alot of people nowadays are idk

George H.W. Bush- won
George H.W. Bush- lost
Bob Dole- lost
George W. Bush- won
George W. Bush- won
Barack Obama- won

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
How about this answer:

Nobody should go through a pat-down.

So long as there are exceptions to who is given the pat-down or limitations to what areas of the body are being checked, it provides no real security that can't be obtained through less intrusive means.

Dead serious here. If they're not doing cavity searches and someone wants to blow up a plane, where do you think the weapon's going to be hidden?

This is the security equivalent of a pat-down:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Generally speaking, all of the security measures they take at airports now (pat downs, body scanners, metal detectors, etc) are just giving people a false sense of security.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I agree with Leo. I don't think they're effective. Honestly, if they are willing to go to unpopular extremes to keep us "safe", they'd be better off profiling. There, I said it. I don't believe in that, either, but the point is that our security systems are a dysfunctional combination of political correctness and violation of privacy, and it's not even the right combination to be the most effective.

Quote:
George W. Bush- won
George W. Bush- won
Barack Obama- won

That's one hell of a bad track record :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 AM 

To elaborate:

http://www.forward.com/articles/122781/

Israel has one of the best track records in the world at preventing airplane terrorism, but the methods they employ are things we won't do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 PM 

Israel also has a smaller population with significantly less diversity than the US. As a country, they also tend to act as a united front when it comes to terrorism and other enemies in the region. Have fun getting that kind of stuff through the bureaucracy that is our government as well.

And yea, of course they're feel-good measures for the most part, but even stupid measures can catch stupid people. Cases in point: Shoe bomber, underwear bomber, Millenium Space Needle bomber. It doesn't take a lot to stop those guys, and it also doesn't take a genius to light a fuse.

I'll generally take something over nothing, but I wouldn't mind the security handling things in a more professional fashion. The fact that Gizmodo got its hands on those 100 scan photos so quickly is disturbing. At some point we have to bite the bullet and become a modern society, but I think we can make some decent judgement calls from time to time. Why not have women do patdowns for other females and vice versa for men? I'm respectful of the Islamic relgion, but I think at some point we do have to become a modern society that can live with a simple patdown procedure. I've been through one on several occasions and it's not particularly invasive if done right. It becomes a problem when idiots like that TSA employee who pulled down the little girl's pants become involved. Can't really judge a system on the basis of a few stupid people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

On the radio today, I did hear one suggestion of a low tech thing that could be done.

More Bomb Sniffing Dogs.

There should be several in every airport. At a minimum. Wandering all over the place, and at strategic secure area access points, and in Luggage areas.

Simple Low Tech Partial Solution.

On that note, a Joke.

Quote:
DEA Dog on a Plane

A man had just settled into his seat next to the window on the plane when another man sat down in the aisle seat and put his black Labrador retriever between them.

The first man asked why the dog was allowed on the plane. The second man explained that he was a DEA agent and that the dog was a sniffing dog.

"His name is Sniffer, and he's the best there is," he said. "I'll show you once we get airborne when I put him to work."

The plane took off, and once it had leveled out, the agent said, "Watch this." He told Sniffer to "search."

Sniffer jumped down, walked along the aisle, and finally sat very purposefully next to a woman for several seconds. Sniffer then returned to his seat and put one paw on the agent's arm. The agent said, "Good boy." He turned to the other man and said, "That woman is in possession of marijuana, so I'm making a note of her seat number. The authorities will apprehend her when we land."

"Say, that's pretty neat," replied the first man. Once again, the agent sent Sniffer to search the aisles. The Lab sniffed about, sat down beside a man for a few seconds, returned to his seat and placed two paws on the agent's arm. The agent said, "That man is carrying cocaine, so again, I'm making a note of his seat number for the police."

The agent then told Sniffer to search again. Sniffer walked up and down the aisles for a little while, sat down for a moment, and then came racing back to the agent. He jumped into the middle seat and proceeded to poop all over the place. The first man was really disgusted by this behavior and couldn't figure out why a well-trained dog would act like that, so he asked the agent, "What's going on?"

The agent nervously replied, "He just found a bomb!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 PM 

No doubt someone would crop up to complain that dog-sniffing is highly invasive, too =) Someone is smelling my odor molecules!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:24 AM 

If I'm going to be patted down, I want it done by a very attractive female.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 AM 

I've never seen a very attractive female working for TSA at any airport I've come through. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

joxur wrote:
I agree with Leo. I don't think they're effective. Honestly, if they are willing to go to unpopular extremes to keep us "safe", they'd be better off profiling. There, I said it. I don't believe in that, either, but the point is that our security systems are a dysfunctional combination of political correctness and violation of privacy, and it's not even the right combination to be the most effective.

Quote:
George W. Bush- won
George W. Bush- won
Barack Obama- won

That's one hell of a bad track record :(

I'll agree with the second Bush vote, but you REALLY had no issue with the Dole vote? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:38 PM 

Dole wasn't great but he was a lot better than any GOP candidate since.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:55 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Most TSA folks don't know the rules they're applying either, so this leads to them being applied very unevenly. If I were trying to sneak through, I'd just get there early and see which line has the x-ray tech on their Blackberry. Guaranteed win.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Fribur wrote:
If I'm going to be patted down, I want it done by a very attractive female.

Or man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:04 PM 

Maybe if you are getting a patdown, they should let you choose your agent. Then, give bonuses to agents that get chosen more often (encouraging employees to take care of their appearance).

I think we're on to something! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Yes, turning TSA agents into prostitutes.

heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 PM 

rugen wrote:
Yes, turning TSA agents into prostitutes.

heh.

prostitutes probably get paid better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
And they have more education.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:51 AM 

Yup, that's definitely a step up from what people are calling TSA agents right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 AM 

They told me if I voted for McCain, the government would use terrorism as an excuse to further erode my civil liberties, and they were right!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:18 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Oh, poor you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Can I have a Movie star like Brad Pitt pat me down? Hell id fly more for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

You also want standing room only seating, don't you, Cak?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The reason the scanners are an issue is because it has an arua of unfairness to it. No one complains about the metal detectors because, well, everyone is required to walk through them instead of "randomly" picking people to go through them. If the body scanners were faster and everyone went through them there would be no issue. Imagine the scanner scene from Total Recall.

Until then people will be pissed about anything they get singled out for for no apparent reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Garborg wrote:
The reason the scanners are an issue is because it has an arua of unfairness to it. No one complains about the metal detectors because, well, everyone is required to walk through them instead of "randomly" picking people to go through them. If the body scanners were faster and everyone went through them there would be no issue. Imagine the scanner scene from Total Recall.

Until then people will be pissed about anything they get singled out for for no apparent reason.

Actually, I think metal detectors (and to a degree baggage scanners) are about as close as I'm willing to go with regards to intrusiveness superseding privacy as it relates to safety. They're generally simple, fast, and mildly effective.

Body scanners/pat downs are security theater at its finest. The government only maintains control over the populace so long as we are willing to acquiesce. They're expensive, unnecessary and in the hands of poorly trained operators. If you think this is about inconvenience, you'd be incorrect - at least for myself and many of the folks I know.

In fact, with air marshals and locked cockpit doors, we could go back to pre-9/11 security (or god forbid the Israeli model) and be far safer than you would getting into your car. In fact, not including small arms/IEDs, in the already EXTREMELY unlikely chance you were injured by a terrorist attack, it would be from a car bomb or similar method vs a 9/11 style attack or suicide hijacking.

Life is all about risk - we need to learn to get fucking helmets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Elessar wrote:
In fact, with air marshals and locked cockpit doors, we could go back to pre-9/11 security and be far safer than you would getting into your car.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Elessar wrote:
In fact, with air marshals and locked cockpit doors, we could go back to pre-9/11 security and be far safer than you would getting into your car.

yeah but that would just make some since. However what this does not account for is the shoe boomer and the underwear boomer.

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:29 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Devil wrote:
Elessar wrote:

yeah but that would just make some since. However what this does not account for is the shoe boomer and the underwear boomer.

Neither of which were very successful and even if they were, it would be EXTREMELY unlikely they would be able to puncture the fuselage anyway. It's a contained sustainable risk as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:56 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Everybody flies naked, tightly shackled to their seats. A second drone plane carries the luggage. Problem solved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Mmmm, flying nekkid.

My cousin Walter jerked off in public once. True story. He was on a plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane started spinning around, going out of control, so he decides it's all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad. So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, snap! The hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and it land safely and everyone puts their pieces or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 PM 

That's a frightening, but probably accurate depiction of humanity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

A similar thing happened to me. I was on a plane and an engine went and it went into a death spiral. I've always wondered about the taste of human flesh so I killed and ate a few people. The engine kicked back in the plane pulled out of the dive and continued it's flight. When everyone stopped screaming and looked over and realized I had killed and ate some folks, it was so embarrassing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

mallrats++

Offline Profile