It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:35 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_us/us_arizona_ethnic_studies

Quote:
Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

In today's society white only clubs are impossible. Where as other ethinic clubs are encouraged. So what do you think?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I think that I've been to weddings at the Polish-American Club and the Elks. I think I've marched in a St. Patrick's Day parade and gotten scholarships from the Daughters of the American Revolution. I think that my Cub Scout meetings were held in the Masonic Lodge and that I went to Vacation Bible School at a Baptist Church. I think that I celebrated multiple Saints Days with my Portuguese neighbors growing up, eaten awesome street food during Puerto Rican Pride, Chinese New Year, Fiesta, and Oktoberfest, watched some great drag shows during Gay Pride, sold Toblerone and Gummie Bearchen at the Holiday Crafts Fair to raise money for the German Club, and happily volunteered at Special Olympics and a variety of Walks for various diseases. I think that I've played dreidl and eaten potato pancakes and lit a Menorah.

I think that people form tribes across a variety of aspects of life, and that it is a totally natural thing. And that with 300 million plus residents, there's possibility for infinite tribes in this country. And that trying to keep people from finding positive ways to experience theirs is not only an exercise in futility, it makes you a small nasty person who refuses to see the beauty of seeing the world through another lens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Sorry I used the wrong wording. Clique was the word, not club.
I understand the celebration of diversity of the world we live. These classes are in public high schools not privately funded. Fueling segregation. Not fueling tolerance.

Quote:
The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
In today's society white only clubs are impossible. Where as other ethinic clubs are encouraged. So what do you think?

First, I think we should apparently worry more about English classes rather than what kind of clubs exist out there.

Second, can you tell me about these classes that fuel intolerance that are apparently encouraged in my public schools? Could we get some examples? I went through our class list and couldn't find anything but maybe there's something else you are talking about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

How exactly does a class on Native American Lit fuel segregation? The only plays that we read in my Lit classes in high school were written by Shakespeare and Henrick Ibsen. "A Doll's House" and "Macbeth" are great dramas, but it would have been interesting to get other perspectives.

Look at the craziness foisted on everyone by the TX Dept of Education textbook committee. The "standard" history being taught already promotes a particular agenda. I don't see anything wrong with understanding the Mexican-American war from multiple perspectives, or a social science lesson block that fosters understanding of life on a reservation, or reading "Farewell to Manzanar."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Fribur wrote:
Quote:
Could we get some examples? I went through our class list and couldn't find anything but maybe there's something else you are talking about.

I don't know Fribur. What school district do you live in? Did you read the article? It explained that the law was targeted towards a district in Tuson.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:17 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Because one teacher said that Republicans hate Latinos, which while a fucked up thing to say, isn't a reason to try to come down on ethnic classes.
Quote:
The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

And it's open to all races. What's wrong with this? It's an elective, and is a subject that our normal history classes routinely ignore other than the obligatory one month a year recitation of the same material over and over.

If schools can't be bothered to provide a comprehensive history class that doesn't neglect the huge impact that women and non-whites have had, then we need these ethnic classes (as well as female-centric classes) to pick up the slack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Devyn wrote:
And it's open to all races. What's wrong with this?

Read my previous quote above. The measure is to stop the way the classes are arranged as they are now. They are segregated. Not by rule but by design.
It fosters racial highschool cliques.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:46 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Could get fixed? Wish someone would find out how to solve root issue to...

Devyn wrote:
provide a comprehensive history class that doesn't neglect the huge impact that women and non-whites have had

and make everyone happy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:03 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
I read it, I just don't understand it. How are they segregated? Do they have separate Latino ethnic classes for whites and Latinos? Or is it that white kids prefer to not take a class centered on Latino, African-American or Native American culture if they don't have to? Self-segregation, while not typically viewed as ideal, is perfectly normal behavior for humans.

Make the classes mandatory, and the problem of segregation is solved while still teaching students about major cultures that have and will continue to shape this nation.

Quote:
and make everyone happy.

Fuck happy. History isn't about glossing over major contributions or grievous wrongs because it makes people feel good or bad. It should be as fact-based as possible, and not this fluffy bunny stuff designed to make students buy in to some fictional idea of how this nation was born.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
You know what the biggest bullshit lie that was forced upon us as children, besides the horseshit of Thanksgiving?

Cursive writing, and the constant need for it throughout life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
bearne wrote:
How exactly does a class on Native American Lit fuel segregation?
And will classes on English Lit be banned as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:52 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm not even sure I could write in cursive if I tried.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Leolan wrote:
bearne wrote:
How exactly does a class on Native American Lit fuel segregation?
And will classes on English Lit be banned as well?

The way I am reading Garborg's response is yes. You would eliminate all prefixes and just have Lit. Lit would have a variety of many important sources, covering many backrounds. This would expose students to a wide variety of influences and not focus on on source, while also encourage students to experience this wide variety instead of labeling each as "xyz" Lit.

If that is indeed how he meant it, I think it's not such a bad idea. We could just name it Influential Lit and call it a day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:14 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I have a bad feeling that's not what's really going to happen though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:39 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
What should be the rule usually isn't, and on the off chance that you finally have a fair and equitable rule, it is rarely followed to it's intent.

In other words, you're probably right Leo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Not sure now is the best time to throw napalm on the nuclear blast.

Offline Profile