It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I'm also unconvinced those "undesirable" jobs wouldn't be filled within a couple weeks tops if they were all deported right now.

Oh, they would be, within days....except it would be by bus loads more illegals. The entire industry, right down to how the illegals get here in the first place, is big business and endorsed by big business *wink wink nod nod*. Every now and then, the larger corps that hire them have a little "raid" where a selection of their employees are shipped back, but the next day, 20 fresh faced new illegals are right there ready to work, business as usual.

This is how it has been working for a long, long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:58 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
The louder you shout and scream about the Ebil Imuhgrants and the Durty Gheys, the better I feel, Khan.

Scream for me. Scream and cry. It's beautiful.

Can you send me a picture next time you have a breakdown about how AMURIKA is being destroyed? It might just replace the one I have of Glenn Beck in tears on the old dart board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:56 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Draj, you're right about how the business climate works for things like landscaping in places like San Antonio, where I live. But the thing that gets me about the butthurt that leads to things like this Arizona law is this:

Yeah, if that one guy only hires and pays legal workers, his costs and thus his bids will get jacked up and his business will tank. But why, really? Because the same people that are making laws like these and complaining about being surrounding by Mexicans aren't willing to pay that guy. Their gated community's HSA isn't willing to fork over the dough to pay that guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:06 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Xkhanx wrote:
Quote:
The best part? While you're freaking out over the legal Mexican contractor down the street, you don't even *notice* the illegal Ukranian cleaning your office building.

Maybe your building, not mine.

"I know you are, but what am I?" is the extent of your argument? Oh, middle school cafeteria, how I've missed you! Hah!

And your response to Syuni? Fucking priceless. You've spent that past few days airing your massive hairy butthurt over feeling like your life experiences are being misinterpreted and devalued all over the boards, to the point where you actually created a thread about it. And when Syuni responds to you with an example from his life, what do you do? Immediately devalue it!

Jesus, man, what do you want? You're own Khan-centric episode of "Really!!?! With Seth and Amy?" I'm not sure you'ld need it, honestly, because you've been bringing the comedy in spades. *golf clap*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:14 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Maybe yours was. Here in Indianapolis, you can't go into a single fast food place and not have a mexican working there, drive 1 mile in any direction and not see a mexican driving by. We are so over run with them HS kids can't even get jobs at say McDonalds or mowing lawns because they have taken all the traditional jobs kids always did.

I find it amusing that those here that are all for letting them in at-will, hold professional jobs vs layman jobs. I wonder how differently you would feel about it if your boss came to you and got rid of you for someone who would do your job for 1/2 the salary. My guess is you would bitch up a storm. But as long as it doesn't directly affect you you can continue take what you believe is the morally superior high road and champion for the poor little mexican who became a criminal the second he stepped out on the north side of the Rio Grande.

Where did I say that *I* was saying that line?

When will you learn how to reeeeeeead?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:16 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Fuck it let them all in, current estimates have the Illegal population at almost 10% of the US population by 2015. That's 10% of your country sucking off the school, medical and infrastructure tit for nothing. Glad you are willing to foot their cost, especially those of you who supported the Nationalized health care that none of them will be contributing to.

If you weren't such a dumb, typical short-sighted American with knee-jerk isolationist and xenophobic reactions, you'd see that most of us think it'd be better to loosen up the immigration requirements so that we get them on the tax rolls and such.

But sure, keep telling yourself that you're this lone patriot in a world that's flooding with immigrants trying to destroy your world. You can take over Daniel Day-Lewis' role in Gangs of New York.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:22 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
Fuck it let them all in, current estimates have the Illegal population at almost 10% of the US population by 2015. That's 10% of your country sucking off the school, medical and infrastructure tit for nothing. Glad you are willing to foot their cost, especially those of you who supported the Nationalized health care that none of them will be contributing to.

If you weren't such a dumb, typical short-sighted American with knee-jerk isolationist and xenophobic reactions, you'd see that most of us think it'd be better to loosen up the immigration requirements so that we get them on the tax rolls and such.

But sure, keep telling yourself that you're this lone patriot in a world that's flooding with immigrants trying to destroy your world. You can take over Daniel Day-Lewis' role in Gangs of New York.

Sure, make it easier to get here legally, where we can have even more people will vote against additional taxes to better our infrastructure while at the same time using and abusing the hell out of it.

How about we fix our own goddamn problems before we let more people in here?

A big sign on the borders : "CLOSED FOR RENOVATION" would be nice.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:30 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Sure, make it easier to get here legally, where we can have even more people will vote against additional taxes to better our infrastructure while at the same time using and abusing the hell out of it.

If they're citizens and paying taxes, then....wait, what? Abusing?

Quote:
How about we fix our own goddamn problems before we let more people in here?

A big sign on the borders : "CLOSED FOR RENOVATION" would be nice.

Our problems? Really? What problems? We have like the lowest population-per-square mile ratio on the planet and we don't have room for people? We're

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Son of a ....hit submit somehow.

Anyway, we're the richest nation on the planet, and we can't "afford" more citizens? We have new businesses all over the place constantly and we can't make new jobs?

Come on...be serious here, there's nothing to be afraid of from immigrants if we handle the situation properly. Right now we're acting so afraid of them, people talk about our society being overrun by them somehow.

Yes, the economy is on a downswing *right now* but that's what happens. Things go sour from time to time, but really we're still absurdly, sickeningly, disgustingly rich compared to everyone else.

Even me, someone who probably barely qualifies as "middle class" is insanely wealthy compared to most of the world. And I'm going to sit here and cry about brown people invading Whiteland? Er, wait, America. I misspoke.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:39 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I'm not talking about our economy.

I'm talking about our *infrastructure* -- you know, roads, sewers, power/water/gas lines? The things that are at least 30-40 years old and weren't properly specced out THEN much less NOW? And that no one here right now wants to pay to upgrade?

Population per square mile isn't really the issue -- people aren't expanding out very far from population centers. The population per square mile isn't being affected by this except in minute amounts. It's not like people are moving to Wyoming or Montana or the Dakotas. People are going to Atlanta, New York, Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles and Seattle.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:51 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:

No dumbass, most of YOU on this board feel that way because like I said, you are a bunch of band wagon riding pussies. Especially you! You champion every feel good cause that comes down the road instead of looking at the big picture and how the majority of people outside of this 20 poster board think.

And once again Syuni, Hahaha, you're a fucking idiot and every time you post you just prove it. The way you come off as an insolent, condescending prick on here, it's no wonder you got canned and probably for exactly those reasons.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:58 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
you are a bunch of band wagon riding pussies

Quote:
looking at the big picture and how the majority of people outside of this 20 poster board think.

So we're bandwagon riders because we don't look at what the majority of people think.

God you're terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
This is how it has been working for a long, long time.

Except on a much smaller scale in the past. I doubt it was as much of an issue when there were 10,000 illegals in the country =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:57 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Given the huge amount of disagreement I've seen here on nearly every political thread posted, I have a really hard time seeing the giant bandwagon Khan is dreaming about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:18 PM 

Quote:
You've spent that past few days airing your massive hairy butthurt over feeling like your life experiences are being misinterpreted and devalued all over the boards, to the point where you actually created a thread about it. And when Syuni responds to you with an example from his life, what do you do? Immediately devalue it!

Your new buzzword "butthurt" is your area of expertise, not mine, "Bro". Syuni's experience was not even relevant to the conversation and he got called out on it. Big fucking deal. It was akin to someone walking into a conversation about their Toyota getting recalled and saying "I have a car!".

Get the fuck over it you oh-so enlightened free thinking wannabe.

Bovine, really... "We are the lowest population per square mile" is your reasoning for allowing illegals in? Do you think the entire USA is landscaped like Florida? There are reasons no one lives in places like Montana, Idaho, N/S Dakota, etc. It is rough rugged terrain. I guess we should build public infrastructures like Power and water in the Selway Bitteroot Wilderness. Or maybe just concrete over all that fucked up farmland in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. Real bright.

"Get them on the tax rolls"!" Are you really that dumb? Come on man, wake the fuck up. Do you really think they are going to hang around making already shit wages only to have them reduced by 20% by taxes? Hell probably by even more once you figure in the amount they are now going to have to pay for insurance once on the tax rolls.

You do realize there are almost 20mill illegals in the US now, right? 12,000 new ones a day coming in is the estimate. Using social services, sending kids to school, and getting free health care in emergencies. They get more handed to them than the millions of American homeless out there. And all because of simpletons like you who feel sorry for them.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:11 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think what a lot of people are missing on these "undesirable" jobs is that if you cut off the supply of illegals, the wages would go up, and they would become desirable.

I am against illegals because of the damage I believe they cause to the overall society and culture. However, I also fully believe the current situation results in these people being exploited.

Plain and simple - make a way that allows a reasonable quantity of people to work here legally and crack down on illegals.

This whole thing seems so easy, and I don't get why it's so hard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I didn't know Khan was a Mexican. It's not possible to own beach front property in Mexico if you're not. (You can sorta lease it, but you don't own it, or any improvements you make on it). My spouse has a plot, not beach front, that he's had for years. It's bigger than Khans (what isn't! ;)), but they're worth about $5k. It might even be closer to the beach. Send me a PM Khan if you're interested, he just might sell it to you. ;)

Just thought I'd drop in and give Khan something else to rant about, he clearly has so little. :D Too bad I hardly come by any more. I had two people let me know about this thread and I was SO looking forward to some good contention from Khan.

You're losing your touch old man. /sadface

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:16 PM 

Wrong Tarot. That law changed in 93 and was expanded upon in the NAFTA agreement.

One word.

fideicomisss (i think i spelled it right)

Your spouse should have looked into it.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:02 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I think what a lot of people are missing on these "undesirable" jobs is that if you cut off the supply of illegals, the wages would go up, and they would become desirable.

I am against illegals because of the damage I believe they cause to the overall society and culture. However, I also fully believe the current situation results in these people being exploited.

Plain and simple - make a way that allows a reasonable quantity of people to work here legally and crack down on illegals.

This whole thing seems so easy, and I don't get why it's so hard.

Once again, Orme beat me to it and said it better anyway, Khan. I even bolded the important parts, in case you miss them.

Seriously, man...do you ever think about things, or are you pre-programmed with responses to things?

Quote:
You do realize there are almost 20mill illegals in the US now, right? 12,000 new ones a day coming in is the estimate. Using social services, sending kids to school, and getting free health care in emergencies. They get more handed to them than the millions of American homeless out there. And all because of simpletons like you who feel sorry for them.

Independent of any particular argument, this topic comes up SO MUCH with you. Your seemingly panicked, phobic fear that someone might get something they don't deserve - "deserve" judged by you and you alone, that is - seems to drive your entire world view.

Here's a clue, bro. Welcome to life. People get things they don't deserve sometimes, the good and the bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:39 PM 

If any of us are part of the American homeless, though, we are lazy and just need to get off our ass and work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:47 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Right. Just remember these three simple rules:

Out of work? Lazy.
Brown? Gonna steal your job.
A law? Follow it unless it's inconvenient for you personally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
This thread is starting to drift to the idea that America has limitless pockets to support how ever many people want to come here and that illegals add more to our value than they take away. I believe both are "feel good" thoughts, but unfortunately not accurate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:23 AM 

I do think that immigrants add more to our value than take away, as a whole.

Your other one, "limitless pockets to support people," no one has said, and no one believes as far as I can tell. Not sure why you are putting words in other people's mouths.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:02 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Not only did no one say anything to that effect, I also wonder why people are thinking of immigrants like lazy dudes that come and crash on your couch and won't get a job and you have to support them.

I guess part of this goes back to the population thing...it's hard to imagine that in a nation so vast, wealthy and full of resources that people have this attitude like, "omg we can't support any more people."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 AM 

Quote:
Once again, Orme beat me to it and said it better anyway, Khan. I even bolded the important parts, in case you miss them.

Seriously, man...do you ever think about things, or are you pre-programmed with responses to things?

And you say shit about MY reading comprehension? I agree with everything Orme has said so far. Although almost everything you have said disagrees but now you agree? Didn't you say Legalize them and get them on the tax rolls? Orme isn't saying that, he is saying come up with a way to allow them to work here legally, not give them amnesty.

Quote:
Independent of any particular argument, this topic comes up SO MUCH with you. Your seemingly panicked, phobic fear that someone might get something they don't deserve - "deserve" judged by you and you alone, that is - seems to drive your entire world view.

Here's a clue, bro. Welcome to life. People get things they don't deserve sometimes, the good and the bad.

20 million dumbass, that's almost 10% of the US population. Do you understand that? What's the current unemployment rate? Almost 10% if not a bit higher. What part of this do you not comprehend? 12,000 A DAY, coming in.

Just take a look at one area, for me, please. Schooling. School lunches. How many of those illegal's kids get free school lunches. I bet it is close to if not 100%. Are they paying taxes to help fund that? School books. Do they pay their fees on books? Nope. Taxes for bus fuel? Nope. They are here illegally and yet their kids get an essentially free education...

Quote:
Out of work? Lazy.
Brown? Gonna steal your job.
A law? Follow it unless it's inconvenient for you personally.

Lazy? Just you apparently. Go get a job at McDonald's. Oh yeah you can't the spots are taken by Mexicans.

Brown? That was your hangup. Not mine. I never once said brown people, I believe I was very concise in my description in saying Illegal Immigrants. Don't veil your dislike of "Brown" people (most likely middle eastern). Just say who took your job and stop trying to roll all brown people up in one group.

Law. Follow it. I don't think I have ever wavered on this once.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:07 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
"Get them on the tax rolls"!" Are you really that dumb? Come on man, wake the fuck up.

So getting them on the tax rolls is a dumb idea..

Quote:
Just take a look at one area, for me, please. Schooling. School lunches. How many of those illegal's kids get free school lunches. I bet it is close to if not 100%. Are they paying taxes to help fund that? School books. Do they pay their fees on books? Nope. Taxes for bus fuel? Nope. They are here illegally and yet their kids get an essentially free education...

But your gripe is they get things without paying taxes...

Quote:
Didn't you say Legalize them and get them on the tax rolls? Orme isn't saying that, he is saying come up with a way to allow them to work here legally, not give them amnesty.

And getting them to work legally doesn't get them paying taxes...

Okee-dokey, bro.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:08 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Brown? That was your hangup. Not mine. I never once said brown people, I believe I was very concise in my description in saying Illegal Immigrants.

And you never said brown...

Quote:
Lazy? Just you apparently. Go get a job at McDonald's. Oh yeah you can't the spots are taken by Mexicans.

But apparently you say mexican...

Gotcha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:40 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Not only did no one say anything to that effect, I also wonder why people are thinking of immigrants like lazy dudes that come and crash on your couch and won't get a job and you have to support them.

I guess part of this goes back to the population thing...it's hard to imagine that in a nation so vast, wealthy and full of resources that people have this attitude like, "omg we can't support any more people."

I never said nor implied illegal immigrants were lazy. That has nothing to do with the costs we incur, which range from patrolling borders, providing free health care, legal processes etc... These costs have no off setting tax income associated with them, therefore illegal immigrants cost money.

There is a reason we are the only country in the world with such lax laws on this subject.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
"Get them on the tax rolls"!" Are you really that dumb? Come on man, wake the fuck up.

So getting them on the tax rolls is a dumb idea..

Quote:

But your gripe is they get things without paying taxes...

Quote:
Didn't you say Legalize them and get them on the tax rolls? Orme isn't saying that, he is saying come up with a way to allow them to work here legally, not give them amnesty.

And getting them to work legally doesn't get them paying taxes...

Okee-dokey, bro.

This whole get them on the tax rolls thing is silly. We already do that, it is called LEGAL immigrants. What you are really saying is increase the allotted amount of legal immigrants we allow each year. I have no comment on that since I am not educated enough on the matter to know if that is a good idea or not, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:03 PM 

Quote:
20 million dumbass, that's almost 10% of the US population. Do you understand that? What's the current unemployment rate? Almost 10% if not a bit higher. What part of this do you not comprehend? 12,000 A DAY, coming in.

This is the second time you have posted these numbers, and since I am under the understanding that we really have no idea exactly how many there are I'm going to ask you to back it up. The last time I heard a discussion on the numbers the estimates varied greatly between 8 million and 15 million. No one was saying 20 million. In addition, I recently heard on the news (recent = in the last six months) that the number of illegals coming from our southern border had decreased dramatically because of our poor economy.

So I guess, since you keep pushing your very high numbers to support your agenda, I wouldn't mind if you could show us where you are getting these numbers so we could judge for ourselves their validity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I never said nor implied illegal immigrants were lazy. That has nothing to do with the costs we incur, which range from patrolling borders, providing free health care, legal processes etc... These costs have no off setting tax income associated with them, therefore illegal immigrants cost money.

There is a reason we are the only country in the world with such lax laws on this subject.

Yes, those costs are related to preventing illegal immigration. They have nothing to do with our ability to "support" immigrants, which was what was being discussed before.

Quote:
This whole get them on the tax rolls thing is silly. We already do that, it is called LEGAL immigrants. What you are really saying is increase the allotted amount of legal immigrants we allow each year. I have no comment on that since I am not educated enough on the matter to know if that is a good idea or not, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Yes, that's what was being discussed...increasing/making it easier to immigrate legally. That was the whole point of many of the posts above.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:27 PM 

Most of what I've heard is around 10 million illegals for conservative estimates. Assuming 310 million Americans, that'd still be 3.2 percent of the population, or if the 10 million are not included in the estimates for US pop then 3.125 percent. Not sure where Khan got 10 percent from though, even assuming 20 million that'd only be 6.4~ percent at most. Maybe if you included potential unaccounted for babies/undocumented children from those 20 million? Not sure.

Either way though, a conservative 3.1 percent is still a huge burden on an economy already suffering. 3.1 percent is billions of dollars worth of infrastructure, waste management, and bureaucracy to deal with additional population for general services. The impact on job wages I suppose is arguable, but I don't think it's too debatable that when we're the 3rd-largest country in the world, a denser population when job openings are at a minimum and resources are getting used at lightning speed is not going to help the situation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:39 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
Yes, that's what was being discussed...increasing/making it easier to immigrate legally. That was the whole point of many of the posts above.

I don't agree. What I've seen discussed is how to deter illegals by focusing on the businesses hiring them instead of punishing the illegals, lessing the penalties on illegals so they will go to police for emergencies etc, improving the general personal rights of illegals, and making it legal for illegals to work without granting citizenship (that's a tongue twister!).

That is significantly different than simply raising our quota of allowed immigrants and you can't have it both ways for an discussion. Are you asking for illegal immigrant rights, or are you asking to make 100% of the people who want to come to america citizens? If you want to allow anything less than 100%, then by definition, some will be illegal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:41 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Please forgive the grammer there, I should start previewing my posts on boards where I can't edit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Illegal immigrants do contribute to the tax base. Sales taxes, property taxes, and usage fees are paid by everyone. If they are using someone else's SSN or TIN to work (note - not debating the morality of that, simply the tax implications), they pay withholding, FICA, and Medicare in, and have no way to actually collect anything from the Social Security Administration or Medicaid/Medicare.

Again - not as a question of the morality of it - but simply put, illegals do contribute to the tax base at the federal, state, school district, water district, transportation district, agency, county, local, etc., levels. Arguing otherwise is a non-starter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

In all seriousness, there's a few different topics going on in this thread and I think it has some people talking at cross-purposes.

1) Brown = Mexican and Mexican = Illegal. All brown people are not Mexican. And plenty of brown people, whether of Mexican or Puerto Rican or Honduran or Brazillian heritage, are citizens or legal residents. And plenty of Asian people and African-Americans look vaguely brown as well. So do plenty of people with Mediterranean heritage.

Making blanket statements like "Mexican" to mean all people who look a certain way is bigotry. Laws that de facto force U.S. citizens who look brown, i.e. "Mexican," to carry their passports all the time while excluding anyone else is not only bigoted but presumably unconstitutional. Add in the other laws passed in Arizona over the past couple of weeks aimed directly at minorities, and its pretty damn clear that the Arizona thing is about a hell of a lot more than illegal immigration.

And of course these are the same people who hire illegal gardeners, day laborers, vegetable pickers, and nannies, and who wouldn't dream of paying full price for a legal worker. Which would be hilarious if it didn't have the end result of creating an underclass of workers who have no recourse for anything that happens to them.

2) The flip side of that is a blanket refusal to see white people as possible illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants from Ireland, from Canada, from Slavic countries blend in, so they don't get seen as a problem. You can see that when you watch people say "Mexican" when they mean "Illegal." If we were serious about cracking down on illegals, we'd have a National ID card or we'd be checking everyone, or something other than providing another mechanism for rogue law enforcement to engage in racial profiling.

3) And seriously, recognize that immigration anxiety is nothing new. The Germans and the Scots-Irish came over to steal jobs from Anglo-Saxons. The Irish and Southern Europeans came over to steal jobs from the Germans and the Scots-Irish. The Chinese and the Japanese came over to steal jobs from Europeans in general. Etc. As a nation of immigrants, the guy whose been here for 20 years is always worried about the guy who just showed up taking his job. Own that, work through it, and move one.

4) And what should be done about illegals? I think a few things.

First, I think that everyone who can prove that they were brought here illegally as a minor should have the ability to spend, say, two years either in the military or in a service program like AmeriCorp, and be granted a green card at the end of it. If this has been the only home you know and you didn't bring yourself here, tossing back to a country where you may not even know the native language or have any relatives that you've met before is cruel. Give them a chance to show they want to be here.

Second, I think that with a nation of over 300 million people across 50 states and a handful of territories, some form of national ID card is the only logical solution. Drivers licenses don't really do the trick. If I have a Virginia license, how is an employer in Colorado supposed to know what it should look like? And not everyone drives.

So I think that, yeah, if you're genuinely serious about illegal immigration, you have to admit that there should be a new National ID card. And that involves admitting that the IRS, Homeland Security, etc., will be able to track you. Set a deadline for everyone to get one, and give employers like a month after that deadline to run everyone's new number through the database. And then send mail to everyone's home address telling them what employer(s) are recording them as employees.

Seriously - we're collectively going to have to decide with trusting the Federal government with a national ID program and more effectively fighting illegal immigration, or leaving the ID structure where it is and accepting that a certain % of our population is here illegally. One or the other, with the size of our country, we can't have both.

Third, we need some sort of guest worker program. There is temporary unskilled labor demand in excess of supply and there always will be. Automatically enroll people who are in the program in a wait list for a green card, and allow them to legally build up credits in Social Security and Medicare. Only allow people to enroll from a consulate or embassy, so they have to leave first in order to get back in the right way. Let, say, 10% of the wait list per year who have a clean record in on a green card, so that people know that it is a legit path, and allow them to apply for citizenship after, say, two years. Vest them in their social benefits once they get their green card.

Fourth, assign a National ID # to every citizen at birth or adoption, and have that, as well as the National ID #s or passport #s of the parents attached to the birth records. Starting about five years after Nat ID is implemented, require not only the birth / adoption records to enroll in public school, but also the school to physically examine the parents' IDs against the records.

Yes, I realize that will have the effect of kicking out minor US citizens whose parents aren't cleared to be here legally. If that makes me a dick, oh well. Let them move back when they're 18 and apply for familial naturalization at that point.

Fifth, enforce the national ID and guest worker rules with schools and employers vigorously. Everyone on the books needs to have a valid National ID # or a valid guest worker #. Without that, it all falls apart. Our problem isn't really the physical ease of crossing the border, it's lax enforcement and employers willing to look the other way. A wall across the desert isn't going to come close to fixing that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

bearne wrote:
Illegal immigrants do contribute to the tax base. Sales taxes, property taxes, and usage fees are paid by everyone. If they are using someone else's SSN or TIN to work (note - not debating the morality of that, simply the tax implications), they pay withholding, FICA, and Medicare in, and have no way to actually collect anything from the Social Security Administration or Medicaid/Medicare.

Again - not as a question of the morality of it - but simply put, illegals do contribute to the tax base at the federal, state, school district, water district, transportation district, agency, county, local, etc., levels. Arguing otherwise is a non-starter.

Your 2nd post is interesting and I want to think about it more before commenting.

Here is a quick thought on this quote though. Most illegals are paid under the table in cash. They do not use anyones SS#, so no federal taxes are paid. The employer does not pay any of the typical payroll taxes (the taxes you never even see on your check as the money is paid directly by the employer). Sales taxes are a wash as the money illegals spend would have gone to another person, and that other person would be as likely to spend the money. More likely in fact, as many illegals send a good chunck of thier earnings home and out of our economy.

So ignoring all moral factors, on a purely economic level, we see much less tax revenue for each dollar paid to illegals than we do to citizens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I honestly think it is a mix of under-the-table and low wager earnings w/ false ID, and that it depends at least in part on the size of the business. For something like, say, a meat packing plant, they need to be able to record a reasonable amount of payroll or risk triggering the tax authorities' automated audit programs. For that, they need tax ID #s and I don't think they care if the crap on the I-9 and W-4 is legit as long as they can claim it looked legit.

For a sole-proprietorship or a small partnership, like a guy with landscaping tools in the back of his truck or a local farm, the amount of income and expense flowing through the schedules is less likely to trigger any sort of audit, generally speaking. So there's less need to look legit payroll-wise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 AM 

Bearne, that is probably the best most thought out post I have ever read on these boards. Kudos.

I forgot about the numbers over the weekend.

Although a bit of a radical site in itself, the explanation and documentation are quite compelling.

http://www.theamericanresistance.com/ref/illegal_alien_numbers.html

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 AM 

Sorry, posted to fast.

I say mexican and not brown because the bulk of illegals are mexican. Brown to me encompasses a wide variety of nationalities like Arab, Indian, Native American, hell, even Hawaiian. We are discussing an issue that like it or not has more to do with a particular nationality than a color of skin.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Why should it have anything to do with either? Are you saying we should treat the aforementioned illegal Ukrainian any differently than the illegal Mexican?

What about Guatemalans? Or Colombians? Let's say we finish building the "danged fence." All fences have gates. Will the gates be opened for the Argentinians but not the Nicaraguans?

And don't get me started on arrivals not coming through Mexico...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:20 AM 

Why not start with the obvious first? Get that under control, set up a viable work system and then ferret out the rest.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Our Legal Immigration process is very difficult and cumbersome. That needs to be refined.

Leo is correct, illegal immigration is not just a Mexican thing. As I tried to state before any legislation must be nationality of origin neutral and apply to all that try to get into this country illegally. We need to know who is coming into this country and why.

A guest worker program must be a part of the illegal immigration reform. They must register with INS or whatever agency runs it before they can work or receive benefits.

From what I have read and understand about the Arizona laws, they are aggressive but mostly an enforcement of many federal laws already on the books (that weren't being enforced).

And from the "Tarot file" my friend that lives one street over works for ICE/INS and when he comes home in his convertible wearing his uniform (or a company auto) you should see the number of workers that suddenly are not at their job sites.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:36 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Bearne wrote:
Quote:
4) And what should be done about illegals? I think a few things.

First, I think that everyone who can prove that they were brought here illegally as a minor should have the ability to spend, say, two years either in the military or in a service program like AmeriCorp, and be granted a green card at the end of it. If this has been the only home you know and you didn't bring yourself here, tossing back to a country where you may not even know the native language or have any relatives that you've met before is cruel. Give them a chance to show they want to be here.

Second, I think that with a nation of over 300 million people across 50 states and a handful of territories, some form of national ID card is the only logical solution. Drivers licenses don't really do the trick. If I have a Virginia license, how is an employer in Colorado supposed to know what it should look like? And not everyone drives.

So I think that, yeah, if you're genuinely serious about illegal immigration, you have to admit that there should be a new National ID card. And that involves admitting that the IRS, Homeland Security, etc., will be able to track you. Set a deadline for everyone to get one, and give employers like a month after that deadline to run everyone's new number through the database. And then send mail to everyone's home address telling them what employer(s) are recording them as employees.

Seriously - we're collectively going to have to decide with trusting the Federal government with a national ID program and more effectively fighting illegal immigration, or leaving the ID structure where it is and accepting that a certain % of our population is here illegally. One or the other, with the size of our country, we can't have both.

Third, we need some sort of guest worker program. There is temporary unskilled labor demand in excess of supply and there always will be. Automatically enroll people who are in the program in a wait list for a green card, and allow them to legally build up credits in Social Security and Medicare. Only allow people to enroll from a consulate or embassy, so they have to leave first in order to get back in the right way. Let, say, 10% of the wait list per year who have a clean record in on a green card, so that people know that it is a legit path, and allow them to apply for citizenship after, say, two years. Vest them in their social benefits once they get their green card.

Fourth, assign a National ID # to every citizen at birth or adoption, and have that, as well as the National ID #s or passport #s of the parents attached to the birth records. Starting about five years after Nat ID is implemented, require not only the birth / adoption records to enroll in public school, but also the school to physically examine the parents' IDs against the records.

Yes, I realize that will have the effect of kicking out minor US citizens whose parents aren't cleared to be here legally. If that makes me a dick, oh well. Let them move back when they're 18 and apply for familial naturalization at that point.

Fifth, enforce the national ID and guest worker rules with schools and employers vigorously. Everyone on the books needs to have a valid National ID # or a valid guest worker #. Without that, it all falls apart. Our problem isn't really the physical ease of crossing the border, it's lax enforcement and employers willing to look the other way. A wall across the desert isn't going to come close to fixing that.

Great thoughts Bearne, thanks for taking the time to put that together. I can agree with much of what you say, but I am concerned with the last portion about law enforcement. You support strong penalties for employers as a means to remove the potential hiring pool and thus reduce the incentive of illegals to come over.

The problem there is two fold, first, law enforcement has a hard time with mandates like this. We have laws to prevent stealing cars, but I wouldn't leave my car unlocked at the mall. Secondly, and most importantly, we cannot remove the incentive to come to America, it is an impossibility. The only way to accomplish that is for the originating countries to improve their own standard of livings to a degree on par with what can be achieved here, and that is mostly out of our hands. What you would create is a risk vs reward play where if employers are harshly punished for hiring illegals, they would simply pay the illegals even less. Since their risk to hire went up, the reward for getting away with it would need to increase commensurately by paying even lower wages. This would exacerbate the problem as immigrants would get paid even less, and therefore need to work more to get by. Local (legal) workers would be competing with this even lower wage pool of workers, and the businesses that do get caught would be punished into bankruptcy, but new businesses would pop in right behind them. I have a feeling you believe the biggest culprits of our problem are fortune 500 companies with thousands of employers. I believe the biggest problem is a hundred thousand businesses with under a dozen employees.

I really like your thought process though, and just because I don’t see a way to implement it successfully doesn’t make it a bad idea. Maybe someone else can figure out the how to part eventually. Until then, I think the best defense we have is to physically stop the border crossings, and as fruitless as that may seem, I can’t see a better way atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:13 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
and the businesses that do get caught would be punished into bankruptcy

Quite frankly? Good. That is EXACTLY what needs to happen in my book. If it happens enough and with regularity over time? Businesses stop doing it.

I think it is utterly fascinating that people are willing to absolutely destroy the lives of the illegal citizen and their family, heaping every ounce of anger they have over this issue into them, but the minute you discuss shifting that burden to the businesses that provide them the incentive to be here in the first place, every single excuse in the book is given about why that can't happen.

the immediate reversal on why it is ok to break the law and we shouldn't punish business for it, while at the same time waving pitchforks over the illegal citizens being here against the law is just amazing to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

You quoted me out of context by leaving out the important 2nd part of that sentence. I don't feel bad for the small businesses that get caught and punished, but it won't accomplish the goal you desire any more than a burglar getting caught stops future robberies. There will be a new culprit tomorrow, and I already explained the risk vs reward part of this, the next guy will pay the illegals even less to make up for his added "risk".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:38 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

And what happens when we make the risk/reward ratio such that they can't pay the illegals anything at all due to the extreme risk?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
There will be a new culprit tomorrow, and I already explained the risk vs reward part of this, the next guy will pay the illegals even less to make up for his added "risk".

In our current "wink wink nudge nudge" environment? Yes. I am talking about making the penalty for being caught with illegal employees *crushing*, as in...you go out of business, period, and then trust me....the illegals won't be finding employers quite so readily.

Every single person I've ever known in this country illegally hasn't come here to live off of welfare...they came here to *work*. Which we continue to provide them with. Even the chance of being caught and deported years later is worth the money they can make in the meantime.

You completely ignore the risk/reward aspect from the illegal's standpoint. Right now, the reward is completely worth the risk. No wall is going to change that. No amount of chest beating about sending them back home will either.

And "I have to break the law to hire illegal employees because everyone else does it" is not a valid justification. Imagine saying that for just about any other illegal activity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Since human nature is to believe you will not be the one to get caught, I don't think it will be as effective as you think. That is the same issue law enforcement has with non immigration related crimes, no matter how severe the penalties are for getting caught, people still do it.

I am not advocating not having penalties, I just believe we are fooling ourselves if we believe that will solve, or even have a significant impact on the problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
I am not advocating not having penalties, I just believe we are fooling ourselves if we believe that will solve, or even have a significant impact on the problem.

And I think you are underestimating human desire to screw their competition. As I stated before, put up a hotline. Enough people get crushed under the law and know they are at risk of being exposed by the people that gain the most if they go out of business? They will straighten out pretty quickly.

Quote:
That is the same issue law enforcement has with non immigration related crimes, no matter how severe the penalties are for getting caught, people still do it.

Indeed. Which is why a wall is pointless. They will just find another way in, because you've not actually done anything to deter their coming at all, just changed the route they take.

You are never going to be able to punish the illegal immigrant, not properly. The best you can do is send them home, which I'm willing to bet most of the time just results in them trying again. You need to cut off the source of their desire to be here. The work.

The reason illegal immigration is such a wide scale issue right now is because our government knows we like to bitch about the issue, but we love the low prices those illegals get us. So they will never take action against business...they'll just occasionally make an example of a handful of the illegals to say "See? We're doing something...."

Meanwhile, the illegals still want the money, business still wants the cheap labor, and the flood continues....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well I feel pretty good that we've gotten our respective points across and I think it's time to agree to disagree. One thing we both have agreed on is the current situation isn't good, so hopefully whatever system is eventually implemented works out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:10 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

It seems like there are more strawman arguements made on both sides about this issue than any other I can remember including health care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:10 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
orly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
One good thing about where I live, its too cold for the Mexican illegals, I mean really, you would not see a single one living out in the bush when its -40 out.

I remember when I lived in California and they seemed to just come out of the wood work though, if you slowed down at a corner with a pick up truck they would always rush up asking for work.

Glad we don't have as bad a problem as you guys do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
Is Dora The Explorer An Illegal Immigrant?(Link)
Attachment:
23633660_640X480.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:37 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

I never trusted that little bitch, glad they caught her

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

No she is American with illegal relatives.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 AM 

Funny stuff.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/american-as-comics-the-immigration-debate/

_____

Offline Profile