It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Been a bad few months, what with the stimulus completely failing and all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Orme, I wasn't "supporting" anyone. I just asked an honest question. I had to ask it 4-5 times, and finally you gave me an answer that wasn't bullshit. Thank you for that! That's all I wanted.

Joxur, that random shot about the stimulus is so ridiculous it's hilarious. Keep trying, troll!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Interesting read from the Washington Examiner:

Quote:
Obama brings Nixonian twist to oil spill
Nothing more fully reveals the essential character of a person or group than a crisis. Thus, the ecological and political catastrophe of the Gulf oil spill has exposed a breathtaking level of incompetence, political opportunism and mendacity at the heart of the Obama administration. Documents obtained by the Center for Public Integrity make clear that the White House was told by the Coast Guard within 24 hours of the April 20 explosion on BP's Deepwater Horizon platform that the equivalent of 8,000 barrels a day could escape into the ocean. Within three days, Obama and his senior aides were warned that the spill could exceed the in environmental damage caused by the Exxon Valdez wreck in 1989.

Despite these warnings, over the next two months Obama attended Democratic fundraisers, played golf, hosted basketball and football teams at the White House and delivered commencement speeches. Two weeks passed before he could be bothered to go to Louisiana. On April 29, Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindahl declared a state of emergency as the oil spill covered 600 square miles and was only 16 miles from the coast. Jindahl begged federal officials for permission to build a massive network of sand berms to contain damage to beaches. Washington responded a month later but permission was only granted to build 2 percent of the berms requested.

Meanwhile, as Obama dawdled and oil appeared off Florida's beaches, the president delivered a strident speech in Pittsburgh with a decidedly Nixonian twist. He should have been summoning political leaders across the spectrum to lay aside partisan concerns for the moment, but instead Obama asserted that Republicans believe that "If you're a Wall Street bank or an insurance company or an oil company, you pretty much get to play by your own rules, regardless of the consequences for everybody else." This libelous mischaracterization marks a new low even for a man so highly practiced in the ugly art of political demagoguery.

Finally, as the thick black crude and natural gas continued to erupt into the Gulf waters and public exasperation with BP's futile attempts to stop it piled up one after another, Obama dispatched Attorney General Eric Holder to Louisiana to proclaim that "we will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who has violated the law. We will not rest until justice is done." Shortly afterward, Obama blasted BP for "lawyering up" in response to the government's threats. As ill-timed as it was, Holder's announcement nevertheless clearly confirmed what was plainly suggested by Obama's Pittsburgh speech: His top priority is not to stop the spill, but to shift blame away from himself and to forever tar his opponents with responsibility for a catastrophe made far worse by his own spectacular mismanagement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 PM 

bah wanted to hit PREVIEW not submit...

(bold was added by me)

I didn't realize that the White House was aware of the situation as quickly as they were. I forgot that the Fed only granted Louisiana to build 2% of the berms requested a month after they were requested.

To a conspiracy nut you could almost think that the response was done on purpose so that this could become the oil companies Three Mile Island. But that would mean conceding that the Obama Administration is orchestrated and has an effective plan for governing the country, reducing our nation's debt, and restoring the luster on that shining city on the hill, but I don't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 AM 

Fribur wrote:
Joxur, that random shot about the stimulus is so ridiculous it's hilarious. Keep trying, troll!
You real are so poorly read. Doesn't stop you from posting, though!

You should read up on it more. You could start with the g20 and latest job reports.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 AM 

Nah, I stopped reading when I read that the vast majority of economists, regardless of party, recognize we are better off than we would have been without the stimulus and the bailouts. It's been said several times on these boards already, but you choose to ignore what does not fit into your worldview.

You are welcome to bump one of those threads if you wish to talk about it; here it was a random troll comment that had nothing to do with the thread, and I've already responded too much.

Orme, I'm about to teach some more kids about the utopia of the Communist regime! I'll be thinking of you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 AM 

You didn't read up, did you? How can I teach you when you won't do your homework?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
Orme, I wasn't "supporting" anyone. I just asked an honest question. I had to ask it 4-5 times, and finally you gave me an answer that wasn't bullshit. Thank you for that! That's all I wanted.

I answered it like 4 times before there, but you can't read. I dumbed it down for you, and it stuck... finally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:38 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
Orme, I'm about to teach some more kids about the utopia of the Communist regime! I'll be thinking of you.
Good to hear. Can't wait for you to get back and lament your horrible salary, how you're unappreciated, and the sad state of teaching in America.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:41 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

krby71 wrote:
To a conspiracy nut you could almost think that the response was done on purpose so that this could become the oil companies Three Mile Island. But that would mean conceding that the Obama Administration is orchestrated and has an effective plan for governing the country, reducing our nation's debt, and restoring the luster on that shining city on the hill, but I don't.
I am not a conspiracy nut, and I do not think the White House WANTS this to be as bad as it is.

However... I do believe there are a lot of people in the administration who thought this would be a "clean energy wake up call" and all the anger would fall on "big oil". And, I do believe they were dragging their feet partially for that reason (and because BP has it's hand in OBama's pocket). Only now that people are looking at the government are they "looking for asses to kick."

And as a note... that line is as bad or worse than anything Bush ever said. Who is writing Obama's talking points?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 PM 

Quote:
Good to hear. Can't wait for you to get back and lament your horrible salary, how you're unappreciated, and the sad state of teaching in America.

lol... I'm trying to figure out your point here. Was that supposed to hurt my feelings somehow?

Honestly, I can't figure out what you were going for here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 PM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/picture ... oil-spills

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:11 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

God, it just makes me so sick to see that shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 PM 

Your government in action!

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-g ... d=10946379

Quote:
But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:53 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Having trouble visualizing the spill?

http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/

Type in your city and hit return.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:35 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

And if a fire had broken out on one of those barges, and everyone on board died because the Coast Guard *hadn't* checked on the status of their safety equipment, you would be posting a seven-paragraph screed of poutrage on the incompetence of ObamaCoastGuard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:38 AM 

Literally nothing draws criticism from you, Bearne :)

How about this?

Coast Guard phones in situation to command. Command realizes that they can't stop a critical operation because of a technicality. Command ships in life preservers and fire extinguishers on a helicopter. How long do you think that would take, you fucking dumbass?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 AM 

Do you think there's a warehouse nearby with fire extinguishers and life preservers just waiting for this possibility?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
It's the coast guard, so more than likely yes.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:12 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

That's not true. There are plenty of things I am critical of w/ the administration. Since I'm one person and the POTUS represents 300 million people, the odds that I (or any one person) agree with the Administration 100% of the time is 0%.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:44 PM 

Have you checked with frib? (kidding)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 PM 

Here's a big one... I'm pro-life!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:28 PM 

bearne wrote:
That's not true. There are plenty of things I am critical of w/ the administration. Since I'm one person and the POTUS represents 300 million people, the odds that I (or any one person) agree with the Administration 100% of the time is 0%.
works for? Yes.

Represents? Obviously not. He represents much less than half of the country. Just like Bush, it's just that the half changed. And so long as people like you, Fribur, Surcam and all the other people who railed vocally and relentlessly against what Bush was doing, while NOT being just as vocal about the same things Obama does, it will continue like that for a long time to come. It's sad that your level of passion for an issue is so marginalized when the side you root for violates it just as much as the enemy. Pathetic, actually. I believe that you care, and that you object. I really do. But believing something you never vocalize is just being a coward.

You say you're against a thing, but that's literally all you say. It's the most token of gestures.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:36 PM 

Well so far, as bad as you try to paint Obama, and even though I don't agree with some of the stances he has taken, I still believe 100% that he is a better alternative than every candidate the Republicans have offered so far. Therefore, I must continue my support for him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:54 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I rarely read here at all any more, and post even less frequently. Some time late last summer-ish I got really tired of having the same conversations here over and over. So I don't really see any relationship between my posts on this board and my overall political life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:48 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Apparently Joxur measures your political action by how much you post the same shit time after time on Lanys. This is the place to voice your opinion if you want action!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:52 AM 

Yeah. I'm sure there's a LOT going on behind the scenes with you guys. Ahh fuck it, of course there's not. Elect your side, go to sleep until the next election cycle no matter what it does that contradicts the values you used to espouse. Pay more attention to random trivialities than policy. That's America!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:10 AM 

Was there someone else available that contradicted my values less? Seriously, get the stick out of your ass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The choice seems to be between blaming random shitty happenstance on the guy that we elected or voting for the party that thinks less government oversight would have prevented this disaster. Heck of a choice Joxur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 AM 

You can't hide behind "lesser of two evils logic" on this one. I'm not saying you should have voted for someone else. I'm saying that you're not holding the person you voted for accountable for sticking to the issues he promised. Period.

And yeah, what people post here is irrelevant. But none of you are doing anything about it, here or elsewhere. It's an assumption on my part that I am 100% confident in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:41 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Hide? That's the choice you are trying to present to Obama voters. Either we lament our choice because you don't like his leadership or we stick with our decision secure in the knowledge that things could be much much worse. Frankly I'm pleased that Obama hasn't been as soft as his campaign made him appear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 AM 

What are you pleased with, specifically?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 AM 

heh don't bother answering that one, Snarky. There is no satisfactory answer to that question for Joxur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:52 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
joxur wrote:
You can't hide behind "lesser of two evils logic" on this one. I'm not saying you should have voted for someone else. I'm saying that you're not holding the person you voted for accountable for sticking to the issues he promised. Period.

And yeah, what people post here is irrelevant. But none of you are doing anything about it, here or elsewhere. It's an assumption on my part that I am 100% confident in.

How should we hold him accountable other than what we are already doing? I doubt anyone here has already decided that they will vote for Obama again in the next election. Outside of potentially not giving him our vote, what should people do? Post irately on message boards?

Personally, I just don't see the point in lamenting the response to the oil spill yet. Barges designed to suck up oil were held for a day for safety reasons...Good! It's been over 50 days, we could wait one more if it means that the boats will not be on the water without proper safety equipment, especially fire extinguishers.

We haven't fined BP yet for the spill, blah blah blah. Good. I'd rather wait until we know the extent of the damage before we go laying down fines. It's not like waiting is harming anything. Having them pay fines now as opposed to after everything is done doesn't speed up the cleaning process.

A $20 Billion escrow. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that after all the bullshit went down with Exxon.

The recovery mission doesn't have a figurehead who calls the shots. Not good. Numerous departments are effected by this, and each has their own priority that may not be in the best interest of the others.

Beings you brought it up, what are you doing to hold him accountable aside from posting links from obviously biased sources (such as articles that refer to the healthcare reform bill as ObamaCare...you didn't even try on that one) and mocking the hope/change campaign theme (as corny as it was) just like every anti-Obama pundit out there?

Quote:
What are you pleased with, specifically?
He authorized shooting American citizens in the face...you can't get much less soft than that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:20 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Someone should just move this to the politics forum at this point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
This video is from the Viking Poseidon, one of the remotes monitoring the area around the leaking oil well in the Gulf. According to the GPS information on the screen, the remote is about 70 feet away from the well-head.

Yes, folks: that is oil oozing -- and then gushing -- out of the sea floor itself. There has been speculation that the rapid outflow of oil from the underground reservoir is setting things up for a sinkhole. If that happens, it is almost certain that tens of millions of gallons of petroleum and tons of natural gas will be released all at once.

With this new evidence, the estimated amount of the spill has been upped to as much as 70,000 barrels a day. That is almost 3 million gallons every 24 hours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:03 PM 

Devyn wrote:
Outside of potentially not giving him our vote, what should people do? Post irately on message boards?
Well, given that Obama will be unchallenged in any sort of Dem primary, you're saying that you haven't made up your mind whether you're voting for him over a GOP candidate? You're a liar, if you are.

Devyn wrote:
Personally, I just don't see the point in lamenting the response to the oil spill yet. Barges designed to suck up oil were held for a day for safety reasons...Good! It's been over 50 days, we could wait one more if it means that the boats will not be on the water without proper safety equipment, especially fire extinguishers.
One day is equal to over 2 million gallons of oil. I guess that's not a big deal. Certainly not worth violating our precious red tape.

Quote:
The recovery mission doesn't have a figurehead who calls the shots. Not good. Numerous departments are effected by this, and each has their own priority that may not be in the best interest of the others.
I'm trying to figure out what your point is here. Are you advocating this position? That it's a good thing that multiple departments have their own agenda? That's good? If not, doesn't it point to the need for a "figurehead" to direct and slice through conflicts? It's funny that you use that word, because I think it points to the discrepancy between our two points of views.

Quote:
Beings you brought it up, what are you doing to hold him accountable aside from posting links from obviously biased sources (such as articles that refer to the healthcare reform bill as ObamaCare...you didn't even try on that one) and mocking the hope/change campaign theme (as corny as it was) just like every anti-Obama pundit out there?
- I've switched parties.
- I've donated to opposing candidates to try to influence my goal of a split government.
- I plan to vote for whichever candidate in 2012 represents a split government. If it means I vote for a Dem with a GOP congress, that's what I'll do.
- I've become extremely vocal and involved in getting other Christians to care about gay rights. We can't really count on the Dems to do it, can we? Well, not until election time when they need the votes.

Quote:
He authorized shooting American citizens in the face...
You must be terribly disappointed in his approach to foreign policy if you think shooting people in the face is good stuff. What was that in reference to, anyway?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
- I've switched parties.
- I've donated to opposing candidates to try to influence my goal of a split government.
- I plan to vote for whichever candidate in 2012 represents a split government. If it means I vote for a Dem with a GOP congress, that's what I'll do.

There's what I hate about politics.

You're not doing anything different than someone voting along party lines, really. You're just voting against party lines and equally as mindlessly.

Political parties suck. IRL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:30 PM 

yep. I vote based on issues. That's it. That means there have been elections where I've even voted Green Party.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:45 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Also, you need to upgrade your avatar to the $100 version, Fribs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 PM 

I haven't found a cool pic like that one yet :p. Plus, I don't have any of the $100 ones because I refuse to pay outrageous prices, so.... yeah.

You play?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Just online now, yeah. Used to play live a lot, but the scene kinda died out here and my big awesome collection folder of wealthiness vanished one day.

So I just got started online...I've always played control decks but right now if you wanna play UW you're looking at like a $500 deck, lol. So I've been drafting, but too cheap to buy boosters at the moment, so despite winning or placing in all my drafts I'm out of boosters. ='(

Waiting for payday now, might just buy a damn box or something to keep my drafting addiction going.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:56 PM 

I play online and in real life, and maintaining the expense of two separate collections is probably not sustainable for me in the long run :p.

online my name is fribur, if you want to buddy me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
yep. I vote based on issues. That's it.

Voting on issues got me nowhere because politicians lie. So while the issues remain, how those politicians handle the issues differs dramatically from promises.

Voting for someone I believed in got me nowhere because he's apparently lied as well. Strangely, that is almost more disappointing than the above. He really made me believe in our process again and in the end it seems to have just been a political gimmick. Sad.

My natural inclination at this point is to say that the common denominator in all this disappointment is voting, except that there remains one more: Politicians.

I'm not certain how those details are going to translate for me in the end. I'm no tea partier, but I'm not the only gay voice out there tired of the assumed support for the D ticket while they BLATANTLY stab us in the back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:18 PM 

Even if its true that they lie, how else can we vote? Am I going to vote for the person that says he is not for the things I believe in? I'm still stuck going with what sounds closest to my views, because I can't think of a better alternative.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 PM 

Divided government. Balance. It's the only way short term absent a compelling third party.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:26 PM 

no thanks. Divided government has not been working, and is not automatically stronger than united government. Divided government will never make the very, very hard decisions that MUST be made concerning the budget over the next few decades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 PM 

"has not been working"? When was the last time we had one? Follow up question: when was the last time we had a budget surplus?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:30 AM 

Your definition of divided government and mine apparently aren't the same. You are implying that the moment Democrats got 51 votes in the Senate that they had total control of the Senate and could pass whatever they wished.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:01 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
The last time we had a president of one party and a congress of another? 2006-2008. The last two years of Dubya. The first six years, with Republicans in control of Congress, together, they racked up record deficits.

Before that, 1994-2000. Clinton. Budget surplus was here. Though one must recognize that work to lower budget deficits started earnestly at the beginning of the Clinton administration, in 1993, when Democrats were in control of Congress as well.

Before that, 1980-1992. Reagan & George Bush. Record deficits, for the time.

See http://www.lafn.org/politics/gvdc/Natl_ ... t_2006.gif

I realize this doesn't have the Obama numbers, but it doesn't look like what you're calling divided government has a whole lot to do with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 AM 

2006-2008... This was the Dems waiting to gain the presidency and not passing anything, right? Hardly a good test. It needs to be a sustained period. ala '94-'00.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
But look back to the periods before that. I'm not sure the data fits your argument.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Am I going to vote for the person that says he is not for the things I believe in?

No, but it does mean you need to rethink giving your vote to someone just because they say they believe what you do when there is a pretty strong track history of lying involved. And this is my fundamental problem as well.

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/06/texas- ... ay-co.html

I've been a political football for the GOP for some time now. They've made it quite clear they'd love nothing more than to legislate me into prison for living my life the way I do. So what do I do? On one side, I've got someone that is all "We're best friends!" *wink wink nudge nudge* that then turns around and stabs me in the back and on the other side, I've got people who've made their intentions MORE than clear and have been consistent on following through with it.

Like most voters, I have no friends anywhere in politics at this point. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Divided government is what got us DOMA and DADT, for example. I realize gay politics is of limited interest to most people, but this isn't politics to me. As a gay man, in a relationship, and entering the first investigative stages of adopting a child (San Antonio, TX is the gay adoption capital of the US...talk about mixed messages), this is my LIFE.

Maybe Obama will pull a fast one in the end, but right now? Right now I see a lot of pretty words and a lot of damning action that has killed that one thing that got him voted for by me: Hope.

So I genuinely, truly and honestly, have no idea what this translates to when I cast my next vote.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

One thing everyone can do, and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, is to join one of the "draft ____" movements to provide at least a primary challenge to Obama; even if it fails the message of discontent will be heard.

Another thing everyone can do is change their party affiliation to independent. Those numbers ARE tracked by the parties and do send a message, although granted it's more effective in swing states.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:43 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Rugen: I've said this before, and maybe people think I'm being an asshole when I say it, but....welcome to politics. =(

You can vote for whoever you want, but government is such a big, sprawling, complex monster made up of tons of people wanting to make different groups happy - especially if there's money involved - all at the same time.

At best - even if you DO find a politician that isn't lying and has your best interests at heart - you're just putting a drop in a bucket.

That's why I really do just vote on a "lesser of two evils" system now. It sounds apathetic and sad, but it's the only way that makes sense to me anymore. I can't trust them on the issues, I can't judge them based on party, I can't go by labels that are slapped on them, I certainly can't trust what other politicians, pundits or media outlets say about one candidate or another.

So what can I do? Pretty much just do a little digging, see what real facts I can come up with and then just go with my gut. =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 AM 

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Rugen: I've said this before, and maybe people think I'm being an asshole when I say it, but....welcome to politics. =(

You can vote for whoever you want, but government is such a big, sprawling, complex monster made up of tons of people wanting to make different groups happy - especially if there's money involved - all at the same time.

At best - even if you DO find a politician that isn't lying and has your best interests at heart - you're just putting a drop in a bucket.

That's why I really do just vote on a "lesser of two evils" system now. It sounds apathetic and sad, but it's the only way that makes sense to me anymore. I can't trust them on the issues, I can't judge them based on party, I can't go by labels that are slapped on them, I certainly can't trust what other politicians, pundits or media outlets say about one candidate or another.

So what can I do? Pretty much just do a little digging, see what real facts I can come up with and then just go with my gut. =/
I don't get it. You seem to be saying that you take a pragmatic point of view on politics, yet you voted for Obama? What was pragmatic about voting for a guy with no executive experience, who based his entire campaign on something you seem to say he could never fulfill. If you don't believe in politicians being genuine, and Obama's whole campaign was based on a promise to restore that in Washington... well, it's such a huge contradiction to me. If you didn't believe Obama could do it, then... just what were you voting for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:09 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:

With all due respect, Bov, you're not the one they're trying to legislate into a criminal. I doubt you'd be so blasé about it if you were.

What is at stake for me isn't some political theory. What is at stake for me is having a child I've adopted taken away from me because my "family" has been deemed "invalid" or having police be able to arrest me for having consensual sex with my partner (don't think they'd do it? look up what led up to the sodomy laws being struck down in Lawrence v. Texas).

My day to day life, and how I live it, is at stake and has been for 10+ years now. It is hard to be apathetic about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 AM 

Joxur, he answered your question.

Quote:
That's why I really do just vote on a "lesser of two evils" system now.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next