PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:39 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Quote:
SEATTLE – The man suspected of gunning down four police officers in a suburban coffee shop was shot and killed by a lone patrolman investigating a stolen car early Tuesday. Four people were arrested for allegedly helping the suspect elude authorities during a massive two-day manhunt.

Maurice Clemmons was carrying a handgun he took from one of the dead officers when a Seattle policeman recognized him near a stolen car in a working-class south Seattle neighborhood about 2:45 a.m., Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel said.

The vehicle was running but unoccupied when the officer pulled up, radioed in the license plate number and realized the car was stolen, Pugel said.

The officer saw something moving, got out of his car, saw Clemmons and ordered him to show his hands and stop.

"He wouldn't stop," Pugel said. "The officer fired several rounds."

Clemmons also had sustained a serious gunshot wound from one of the four officers killed in the coffee-shop shooting.
{full story here}

I hope the others that helped on this are also brought to justice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:21 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I heard the cop that killed the guy was really Lucas Davenport.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:50 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
I hope the others that helped on this are also brought to justice.

You are assuming he's guilty with that statement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

He's not a member of the legal system, he's not bound by "Innocent until proven guilty." in his feelings and opinions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 PM 

It kind of sucks that there's a general assumption with cop killers that the police that catch him are basically going to kill him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Well, in the most publicized cases, they do.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:50 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
They don't kill them, the suspect escapes the jurisdiction; never to be seen again. The world is full of such master criminals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
A friend of mine is a law enforcement officer in that area. From everything he told me, this was a completely legitimate shooting which only escalated to that point when the perp reached for what the officer assumed (And rightfully it would appear) was a gun.

Fribur - The perp was running around with a slug inside him from one of the dead officers guns and also one of the actual guns from one of the dead cops. How in the hell can you even assume that he's not guilty? Not that it matters now, but seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:43 AM 

I was probably even more taken aback by this incident because only a month or so ago we had a cop in Seattle that was shot in cold blood at night while training a police recruit. They were sitting at a stop light and some piece of shit just drove up(I think it was a pickup or something) and shot the veteran officer through the window. Trainee ducked, but it still hit the veteran officer behind her =( Very sad, and this incident was even more horrifying.

I mean it's one thing for cops to be in danger while they are working the streets, but it's fucking nuts when they get senselessly targeted and have to be on guard in what was supposedly a safe coffee shop away from the bad areas.

That being said I do always worry about the whole vengeance thing going on. A part of me wonders if the guy really reached for something, or if he was just shot on sight after they found out who he was. Or, arguably even worse, was provoked or goaded into reaching for something by having someone "surprise" him. Would be sad if that was the case, but we'll never know for sure so perhaps there's not much point in speculating.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:47 AM 

Quote:
A friend of mine is a law enforcement officer in that area. From everything he told me, this was a completely legitimate shooting which only escalated to that point when the perp reached for what the officer assumed (And rightfully it would appear) was a gun.

Fribur - The perp was running around with a slug inside him from one of the dead officers guns and also one of the actual guns from one of the dead cops. How in the hell can you even assume that he's not guilty? Not that it matters now, but seriously.

So they knew he had a slug inside him from one of the dead officers before they shot him? They knew he had a gun from the previous incident before they shot him? Even if they did know both of those things, are you saying that this makes it ok for cops to shoot him even if they are not provoked?

I'm not arguing that it's an illegitimate shooting, since I have no idea of the details. I just was troubled by krby's statement, as allowing the courts to do the job of justice is a basic, fundamental lynch pin in our justice system. The assumption that we are not-guilty is something I would like to protect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:01 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

fribur wrote:
So they knew he had a slug inside him from one of the dead officers before they shot him? They knew he had a gun from the previous incident before they shot him? Even if they did know both of those things, are you saying that this makes it ok for cops to shoot him even if they are not provoked?

Do you really think that this guy when confronted with the cops he did not provoke in some way?
remember this guy was quoted as saying to cell mates the night before the shooting "I am going to kill a group of cops", there is no way this guy was being arrested with out provoking, There is no way in hell acop would have gone near this guy with out side arm in hand, he had no regard for life his or anybody else.

Fribur wrote:
The assumption that we are not-guilty is something I would like to protect.

You have obviously never been charged with a crime, although we like to think you're innocent until proven guilty, things are not that way in the real world. You need to spend 100's if not 1000's of dollars to prove that your innocent, even if the law is on your side the prosecutes in the eyes of the courts are right you as the defendant need to prove you're innocent.

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:07 PM 

Quote:
Do you really think that this guy when confronted with the cops he did not provoke in some way?
remember this guy was quoted as saying to cell mates the night before the shooting "I am going to kill a group of cops", there is no way this guy was being arrested with out provoking, There is no way in hell acop would have gone near this guy with out side arm in hand, he had no regard for life his or anybody else.

I was worried someone would misinterpret my statement as you have done. No-- I did not say that this guy did not provoke them. Can you reread the point I was trying to make the other way?

Last edited by Neesha the Necro on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.
fixed the Quote tag

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:58 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

He was executed. Never really expected him to make it to trial.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
99% of rampages such as this the killer has this mindset:

Suicide by cop is a suicide method in which a suicidal individual deliberately acts in a threatening way, with the goal of provoking a lethal response from a law enforcement officer, such as being shot to death.[

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I'm glad he's dead and I'm glad it was a cop that killed him.

Offline Profile