PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Drajeck wrote:
It seems like people are arguing that gloabal warming isn't affected by these items and only a natural occuring event, therefore we shouldn't be trying to curb thier use or stop cutting down the rain forrests etc. If that isn't the case and everyone agrees that we should monitor and regulate these emmissons, what is the conflict of the thread then?

We are saying that the human impact to climate change is much less than the natural cycles the Earth and Sun go through. Yes cutting down rain forests is a bad thing (they cycle the CO2 into O2). We need to find a better way to turn our waste into a usable byproduct of our civilization (turn trash into power, etc). Plus not pollute the water we have on this planet. If everyone did more to lighten their impact onto the Earth, by their own choices, then we would all be better off.

I don't buy the direct relation to increased CO2 and increased Earth temp. The charts and graphs that they have tried to show they are connected are flawed and biased. When the government says CO2 is a pollutant (and they did) then every time we breathe we are polluting. I don't see how our ecosystem would be put into that great of jeopardy by a natural byproduct of life. Plants need CO2 to grow they convert CO2 into O2; Animals need O2 to live, they convert O2 into CO2 that the plants need. All life is carbon based.

Call it simplistic or whatever, I don't see it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Climategate? WTF?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:47 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Because anything in excess is bad. All animals uninate, but let 10 dogs piss on the same bush every day and the bush dies. The earth has experiences eons of low density life, and now it has high density with motorized emissions on top of that. Do you really need a scientist to come up with why that is different? If plants and animals were in an equillibrium centuries ago, and we add hundreds of times the CO2 production and reduce the plant life recycling of that by a large percentage (less plant life on the planet), the balance will be way off.

Distilling the argument to "It doesn't make sense that mother nature would make exhaling poisonous" is not simplistic, it's oblivious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

noojens wrote:
Dude, are you trying to be stupid?

You just wrote:
Kulamiena wrote:
I don't recall questioning the data itself
and
Kulamiena wrote:
I also don't recall ever drawing any conclusions
While I just quoted you writing:
Kulamiena wrote:
The data is bad.

Wow, a conclusive statement where you question the data, in the very same post you were replying to. Do you see how deliberately ignorant you're being?

As for the tree ring issue, it's called the divergence problem and it's been discussed in the literature for a decade plus. It's the center of the debate around the "trick" the CRU used to "hide the decline," which (once again) I discussed many posts ago.

You're right that it's unknown why tree rings ceased to correlate tightly with global temperatures 40 years ago, so their usefulness as a proxy is debatable. Many scientists are thinking about this problem, and it'll be interesting to see some results. Luckily there are many other proxies for global climate, some of which go back hundreds of thousands of years (ice cores), and IPCC conclusions are corroborated by these other sources.

And yeah, I read the one peer-reviewed paper you linked in this thread. Every word. I also read several papers responding to it in the climate literature, that exposed the flaws in the author's methods and the errors in his conclusions. Then I read the author's admission of these errors. Why do you place such stock in a paper that has been clearly proven wrong?

And lest you move the goalposts AGAIN, I'll point out that I'm still waiting for you to grow a pair and respond to ANY of the direct questions I've asked you in this thread.

Good job taking the single declarative statement I made out of context.

I stand by my statement when not taken out of context. The data is bad. There, I'll even say it again. Until correlation can be scientifically established, which to be clear means coming to a scientific conclusion as to the divergence, the historical temperature tree ring data is bad and unusable.

Now to clarify, we are to take as gospel the words of scientists who, when challenged, have refused to release data, obfuscated, and threatened to destroy the data rather than subject it to peer review; but the scientist who immediately goes back and corrects his work after an error was pointed out is to be dismissed out of hand. Am I understanding you correctly?

As for all of your "direct questions", most of them have nothing to do with what I have posted on this thread. Bringing up sources and pretending they were mine and then asking me to justify their qualifications is not questioning anything I have posted. Look around, my feelings about Rush Limbaugh are fairly well established on these boards. Your question about proving the data false is ridiculous; you not only cannot prove a negative but data needs to be proven true. Science is not a court of law; data should be deemed false until proven accurate, not the other way around.

I am pleased you have finally come to admit that more scientific scrutiny is necessary before we can establish whether tree-ring data is at all useful. As that was my point and it draws into question just about all of the current climate modelling, I'm done here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
This discussion reminds me of another old saying (which I live by), don't gamble with what you can't afford to lose.

Perhaps it makes more sense to curb CO2 emmissions until it is proven that they arn't harmful. We can afford to lose industrial growth, we can't afford to lose the only viable habitat humanity has.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:07 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Kulamiena wrote:
I stand by my statement when not taken out of context. The data is bad. There, I'll even say it again. Until correlation can be scientifically established, which to be clear means coming to a scientific conclusion as to the divergence, the historical temperature tree ring data is bad and unusable.
So you admit you were talking out of your ass when you said you neither questioned the data nor drew any conclusions about it? Great. Next step is owning up to all the other bullshit you've posted in this thread.
Quote:
Now to clarify, we are to take as gospel the words of scientists who, when challenged, have refused to release data, obfuscated, and threatened to destroy the data rather than subject it to peer review...
Links please. Show me when the data wasn't made public, how it was obfuscated, and who threatened to destroy it. Because while that sounds a bit paranoid, I'd be interested to know if it's true.
Quote:
...but the scientist who immediately goes back and corrects his work after an error was pointed out is to be dismissed out of hand. Am I understanding you correctly?
Absolutely not. All scientific results should be held to the same standards of transparency and reproducibility. I applaud Loehle for owning up to his mistakes (such as not divulging his methods until asked repeatedly, misapplying those methods, and making completely inaccurate claims about 1935-1980 temperatures). But when an author makes mistakes of that magnitude, I'm inclined to be skeptical about his other claims. And when I find out that his work is funded by the paper industry, a major source of CO2 emissions, that skepticism grows. (source) YMMV.
Quote:
I am pleased you have finally come to admit that more scientific scrutiny is necessary before we can establish whether tree-ring data is at all useful. As that was my point and it draws into question just about all of the current climate modelling, I'm done here.
No, your original point was that tree ring data had been deliberately manipulated. To quote:
Kulamiena wrote:
Your 13,000+ scientists based their studies on the same data and that dataset has now been tainted by manipulation and a lack of scientific vigor. Those 13,000+ scientists didn't know the data was faulty but it was.
But that point was indefensible, so you backpedaled to your current position, which simply restates a well-known issue with tree ring data.

Here is part of the IPCC's discussion of the divergence problem:
IPCC AR4 wrote:
All of the large-scale temperature reconstructions discussed in this section, with the exception of the borehole and glacier interpretations, include tree ring data among their predictors so it is pertinent to note several issues associated with them.... Several analyses of ring width and ring density chronologies, with otherwise well-established sensitivity to temperature, have shown that they do not emulate the general warming trend evident in instrumental temperature records over recent decades, although they do track the warming that occurred during the early part of the 20th century and they continue to maintain a good correlation with observed temperatures over the full instrumental period at the interannual time scale (Briffa et al., 2004; D’Arrigo, 2006). This ‘divergence’ is apparently restricted to some northern, high-latitude regions, but it is certainly not ubiquitous even there. In their large-scale reconstructions based on tree ring density data, Briffa et al. (2001) specifically excluded the post-1960 data in their calibration against instrumental records, to avoid biasing the estimation of the earlier reconstructions (hence they are not shown in Figure 6.10), implicitly assuming that the ‘divergence’ was a uniquely recent phenomenon, as has also been argued by Cook et al. (2004a). Others, however, argue for a breakdown in the assumed linear tree growth response to continued warming, invoking a possible threshold exceedance beyond which moisture stress now limits further growth (D’Arrigo et al., 2004). If true, this would imply a similar limit on the potential to reconstruct possible warm periods in earlier times at such sites. At this time there is no consensus on these issues (for further references see NRC, 2006) and the possibility of investigating them further is restricted by the lack of recent tree ring data at most of the sites from which tree ring data discussed in this chapter were acquired.
Bolding is mine. Source: IPCC AR4 "The Physical Science Basis," pp. 466-474, online at: http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-repor ... apter6.pdf

This issue was taken into account when the IPCC formulated its conclusion that "It is likely that the 20th century was the warmest in at least the last 1,300 years." The IPCC quantifies "likely" as having a 66% or higher probability. Explanation of uncertainty here: http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4 ... ceNote.pdf

So. Despite my better judgment, I've taken the time to respond yet again with reputable sources supporting my position. I challenge you to do the same.

My questions for you, from your last post:
1. How does the tree ring debate "draw into question just about all of the current climate modeling?"
2. When was climate data "not made public?"
3. How was it "obfuscated?"
4. Who "threatened to destroy" the data?

Support your statements and cite your sources, or I'll assume they're just your usual uninformed opinions. Which as fine, as long as you don't claim to know what you're talking about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:14 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250872/Climategate-U-turn-Astonishment-scientist-centre-global-warming-email-row-admits-data-organised.html

The hoax is all but over with the admission that there have been periods of 'warming' before and that they had no connection to human beings producing too much CO2, etc.

Now it remains to (re)educate people so that they can demand their governments stop the madness vis a vis (current and proposed) overspending on insane projects that don't help the environment and only pad insiders pockets while bankrupting the middle class.

The horrific thing about all this has been that we could have actually made some realistic progress on the 'real core issues' of pollution and energy self-sufficiency without the wrapper of blame being placed at our feet and around our wallets.

There ARE real issues but climate is not 'man-made' (other than 'political climate'). This was NOT the way to deal with pollution, etc. The 'global warming' claim was not necessary, and indeed, I think, was detrimental to those being properly and sanely addressed. :( It was about 'control' and $. A great global 'experiment' in human manipulation.

Man's inhumanity to man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 AM 
I schooled the old school.

lol.... really?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Great post Chiasma. Not a good time to own stock in "carbon trading" firms, since the whole industry was built around the evidence that these scientists now admit was manufactured to suit their whims and those of their benefactors.
Maybe now people will insist on accurate information before rushing to accept it as gospel because it suits their belief structure and allows them to forward their political agenda. It will be interesting to see the fallout from this. Those who were poised to use this to benefit financially and politically will have some serious questions to answer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 PM 

I'm seriously just blown away. Are any of you going to respond to Noojen, or like these last two "thoughtful" posts just going to completely ignore it?

Offline Profile