It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Czars?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Obama has been adding different Czars to the Govenment. From what I have heard, a number of them lack experience in the area they are supposed to be in charge of. Not everyone is happy about them.

Quote:
Bennett Says President's "Czars" Undermine the Constitution

Senate Republicans Send Letter to President Obama Asking for Answers
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Senator Bob Bennett (R-Utah) today sent a letter to President Obama expressing serious concern over the creation of "czars" within the Executive Office of the President.

"The president's decision to expand the executive branch and bypass cabinet officers with a group of presidential assistants given the title of 'czars' undermines the Constitution," said Bennett. "I think Congress needs to start asking whether the president's action to create these 'czars,' many of which are not subject to senatorial confirmation, is an attempt to negate Congress's right of oversight."

Along with Bennett, the letter to the president is signed by republicans on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs including Senators Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Christopher Bond (R-Mo.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), and Pat Roberts (R-Kan.). In the letter, the senators write, "These positions raise serious issues of accountability, transparency, and oversight. The creation of czars, particularly within the Executive Office of the President, circumvents the constitutionally established process of 'advise and consent,' greatly diminishes the ability of Congress to conduct oversight and hold officials accountable, and creates confusion about which officials are responsible for policy decisions."

The senators ask the president to explain the process by which the administration vetted the individuals, the specific responsibilities of each czar's position and how the authorities are limited to prevent the undermining of other cabinet offices, and whether or not each czar will agree to appear before Congress when called.

The complete text of the Bennett's letter is below.

Quote:
The Honorable Barack Obama

President of the United States

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

We write to express our growing concern with the proliferation of "czars" in your Administration. These positions raise serious issues of accountability, transparency, and oversight. The creation of "czars," particularly within the Executive Office of the President, circumvents the constitutionally established process of "advise and consent." greatly diminishes the ability of Congress to conduct oversight and hold officials accountable, and creates confusion about which officials are responsible for policy decisions.

To be clear, we do not consider every position identified in various reports as a "czar" to be problematic. Positions established by law or subject to Senate confirmation, such as the Director of National Intelligence, the Homeland Security Advisor, and the Chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, do not raise the same kinds of concerns as positions that you have established within the Executive Office of the President that are largely insulated from effective Congressional oversight. We also recognize that Presidents are entitled to surround themselves with experts who can serve as senior advisors.

Many "czars" you have appointed, however, either duplicate or dilute the statutory authority and responsibilities that Congress has conferred upon Cabinet-level officers and other senior Executive branch officials. When established within the White House, these "czars" can hinder the ability of Congress to oversee the complex substantive issues that you have unilaterally entrusted to their leadership. Whether in the White House or elsewhere, the authorities of these advisors are essentially undefined. They are not subject to the Senate's constitutional "advice and consent" role, including the Senate's careful review of the character and qualifications of the individuals nominated by the President to fill the most senior positions within our government. Indeed, many of these new "czars" appear to occupy positions of greater responsibility and authority than many of the officials who have been confirmed by the Senate to fill positions within your Administration.

With these concerns in mind, we have identified at least 18 "czar" positions created by your Administration whose reported responsibilities may be undermining the constitutional oversight responsibilities of Congress or express statutory assignments of responsibility to other Executive branch officials. With regard to each of these positions, we ask that you explain:

• the specific authorities and responsibilities of the position, including any limitations you have placed on the position to ensure that it does not encroach on the legitimate statutory responsibilities of other Executive branch officials;

• the process by which the Administration examines the character and qualifications of the individuals appointed by the President to fill the position; and,

• whether the individual occupying the position will agree to any reasonable request to appear before, or provide information to, Congress.

We also urge you to refrain from creating similar additional positions or making appointments to any vacant "czar" positions until you have fully consulted with the appropriate Congressional committees.

Finally, we ask that you reconsider your approach of centralizing authority at the White House. Congress has grappled repeatedly with the question of how to organize the federal government. We have worked to improve the Department of Homeland Security and bring together the disparate law enforcement, intelligence, emergency response, and security components that form its core. We established the Director of National Intelligence to coordinate the activities of the 16 elements of the Intelligence Community, breaking down barriers to cooperation that led to intelligence failures before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The bipartisan review by the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee of the failures associated with the response to Hurricane Katrina led to fundamental reforms of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, improving our nation's preparedness and ability to respond to disasters. In each of these cases, the Congress's proposed solution did not consolidate power in a single czar locked away in a White House office. Instead, working in a bipartisan fashion, we created a transparent framework of accountable leaders with the authorities necessary to accomplish their vital missions.

If you believe action is needed to address other failures or impediments to successful coordination within the Executive branch, we ask that you consult carefully with Congress prior to establishing any additional "czar" positions or filling any existing vacancies in these positions.

We stand ready to work with you to address these challenges and to provide our nation's most senior leaders with the legitimacy necessary to do their jobs - without furthering the accountability, oversight, vetting, and transparency shortcomings associated with "czars."

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins

U.S. Senator

Christopher S. Bond

U.S. Senator

Lamar Alexander

U.S. Senator

Mike Crapo

U.S. Senator

Robert F. Bennett

U.S. Senator

Pat Roberts

U.S. Senator

Discussion?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Czars?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:41 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Dis ain't Russia! Obama = Stalin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:30 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Shall I post the video again?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:54 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I did not see any topics in the Czars, missed your vid neesha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

It wasn't really a thread about this topic. But I posted a video of a bunch of idiots talking about, among other things, Czars, and how they were bad because Russians had em (paraphrased).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
They are bad not because they are called Czars but because they usurp the Constitution. The Czars have no oversight other than the President - who appointed them. They are not approved by Congress.

In his "era of transparency and openness" these are very much closed door politics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:40 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

And those same idiots from the previously mentioned video also assumed (incorrectly) that US-appointed Czars were a new thing that Obama came up with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:27 PM 

it isn't new from Obama, but he has expanded it to previously un-seen numbers.

Here are the Czars:
Afghanistan Czar - Richard Holbrooke
AIDS Czar - Jeffrey Crowley
Auto Recovery czar - Ed Montgomery
Border Czar - Alan Bersin (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
Car Czar - Ron Bloom
Central Region Czar - Dennis Ross
Domestic Violence Czar - Lynn Rosenthal
Drug Czar - Gil Kerlikowske (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
Economic Czar - Paul Volcker
Energy and Environment Czar - Carol Browner
Faith-Based Czar - Joshua DuBois
Great Lakes Czar - Cameron Davis
Green Jobs Czar - Van Jones (resigned on Sept. 6)
Guantanamo Closure Czar - Daniel Fried
Health Czar - Nancy-Ann DeParle
Information Czar - Vivek Kundra (statutorily created positions by Congress)
International Climate Czar - Todd Stern
Mideast Peace Czar - George Mitchell
Pay Czar - Kenneth Feinberg
Regulatory Czar - Cass Sunstein* (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
Science Czar - John Holdren
Stimulus Accountability Czar - Earl Devaney - statutory position
Sudan Czar - J. Scott Gration
TARP Czar - Herb Allison (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
Terrorism Czar - John Brennan
Technology Czar- Aneesh Chopra (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
Urban Affairs Czar - Adolfo Carrion Jr.
Weapons Czar - Ashton Carter (Confirmed by Congress, created by legislation/previous administration)
WMD Policy Czar - Gary Samore

Just because some idiot is spouting off about something does not automatically mean that there is not an issue. Is Russ Feingold an idiot because he is questioning the number and power of the czars? (see story here)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:38 PM 
I schooled the old school.

yeah I agree. Advisors suck. Obama should make every decision by himself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
That role is supposed to be filled by the Cabinet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 PM 

Yes, I agree. Outside the Cabinet, Obama should not be allowed to speak to anyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 PM 

meant to put this in the previous post, sorry.

Krby, I would take your concern a little more seriously if you had mentioned it even a single time during the last two presidents in which these boards have existed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:54 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Bush wasn't Stalin though. It's different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:03 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Awesome, I changed my mind. It's only our money they are spending anyway. Let them go forth and talk about doing good things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 PM 

Bennett, one of the people calling it "undermining the constitution," was pushing for a Y2k czar in 1999 on CNN. This is bullshit, and it's amusing to see which (predictable) people eat it up as truth.

Quote:
Many of the same critics who are decrying these roles have applauded or even pushed for them in the past. Sen. Robert Bennett has criticized czars as "undermining the Constitution," but reportedly prodded President Clinton to appoint a Y2K Czar. In a 1999 CNN appearance, Sen. Bennett said "I think John Koskinen has been superb. I wrote the president six months before John was appointed, recommending that he appoint a Y2K czar." At a 1999 National Press Club luncheon, Bennett told reporters the Koskinen was "there to help, prod, give information, and make analyses and reports" and said he spoke with the czar to ensure "we maintain the kind of bipartisan and across-the-government sort of communication that this never becomes a political issue."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/The-Truth-About-Czars/

You guys are almost as bad as Rush last week, actually believing a satirical post on a blog about Obama and broadcasting it as truth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Welcome to the Lanys Community Forums!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:36 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I wish I were the Technology Czar. That has to be the most lazy, do nothing job on the planet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 PM 

The problem with the current administration is that there are a larger number of "czars" that are not confirmed by Congress nor have any other regulatory control.

Did previous administrations have "czars"? Yes they did. Most of them were confirmed by congress or served under a set committee, office, department, or even undersecretary. There were others that were not confirmed and served in an advisory role to the president.

Of the 30+ "czars" that serve in this administration only nine have been confirmed by Congress. Two others serve under a different office.

Of the 35 "czars" to serve during the Bush years only 11 were not either approved by Congress or served under an organization other than the White House. (three of those, Communications czar, Counter-terrorism Czar, and Domestic Policy Czar, were names given to two different people so counted twice)

So Frib, your "you didn't say anything during previous administrations" argument holds no water as the way the current administration is using the "czars" is different than previous administrations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Yeah, delegating one guy to be in charge of one job is definitely something you should run through Congress every time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 PM 

Curious-- how do you define a "czar?" Beck admitted himself that "czar" is pretty much whoever you want it to be.

And yes, it holds water, because you claim it is different yet give no reason why. I have a feeling it's wrong now because it's Obama, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Tell me why it's bad now, but wasn't before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Of course it's wrong because it's Obama. Anyone who says differently is full of shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 PM 

So I guess Sen Robert Byrd is rong to question it too?

Quote:
Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-W.Va.) became concerned enough to send a cautionary letter to Obama last week. At times, he said, past White House staffers have assumed duties that should be the responsibility of officials cleared through the Senate confirmation process.
"They rarely testify before congressional committees and often shield the information and decision-making process behind the assertion of executive privilege,"
At times, he said, one outcome has been to "inhibit openness and transparency, and reduce accountability."

"The rapid and easy accumulation of power by White House staff can threaten the constitutional system of checks and balances," Byrd said.

Some of the positions don't need confirmation but when you have others that are deciding policy then there needs to be a demarcation.

More from that LA Times article that shows where the lines of oversight have been erased:

Quote:
This week,(article was written in March) he named two women to lead his effort to overhaul the nation's healthcare system. One of them, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, was tapped to be Health and Human Services secretary. At her confirmation hearings, senators will be able to probe her views on health policy and demand detailed documentation of her credentials.

But the other, Nancy-Ann DeParle, who was named health czar, can begin work right away, without outside review of her abilities or opinions. And whereas lawmakers can ask Sebelius for testimony in the future and control her budget, DeParle may remain largely outside the gaze of Congress.

and the confusion about their role is not just buy those you call alarmists.
Quote:
The confusion about competing roles played by czars and their Cabinet counterparts was on display Monday (article published in March) as White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs tried to explain how authority would be divided between DeParle and Sebelius as they steer health reform through Congress.

At first, he declared that DeParle "will be in charge." Then he acknowledged a role for Sebelius and others.

Many of these are more than just advisers, they are making policy and they have zero oversight.

You complained about the over-reaching of governmental powers and the Unconstitutional items in PATRIOT ACT, why are you not worried about this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Key point:
Quote:
In all, of the 32 positions in Beck’s list, only eight are Obama-appointed, unconfirmed, brand new czars.

Full article:
Quote:
Czar Search

September 25, 2009

Updated: September 25, 2009
Bookmark and Share

Q: Does Obama have an unprecedented number of "czars"?

A: "Czar" is media lingo, not an official title. But our research shows that George Bush’s administration had more "czars" than the Obama administration.

FULL QUESTION

A friend of mine sent me a link claiming that Obama has more czars than any other president ever and he is trying to turn the USA into a dictatorship. Please give me confirmation so I can give it to her that she has no reason to fear. Does hiring czars allow a president to bypass Congress for approval? And does President Obama have more than any other president?

FULL ANSWER

It’s meaningless to ask a question about what "hiring czars" allows a president to do, because presidents don’t hire czars. "Czar" is a label bestowed by the media – and sometimes the administration – as a shorthand for the often-cumbersome titles of various presidential advisers, assistants, office directors, special envoys and deputy secretaries. (After all, what makes for a better headline – "weapons czar" or "undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics"?)

There’s been a certain fascination with calling Obama’s advisers and appointees "czars." Fox News host Glenn Beck has identified 32 Obama czars on his Web site, whom he has characterized as a collective "iceberg" threatening to capsize the Constitution. Beck and other television hosts aren’t the only ones crying czar, either. Six Republican senators recently sent a letter to the White House saying that the creation of czar posts "circumvents the constitutionally established process of ‘advise and consent.’ " Republican Sen. Bob Bennett of Utah issued a press release saying that czars "undermine the constitution." And Texas Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison wrote an opinion column in the Washington Post complaining about the czar menace, including the factually inaccurate claim that only "a few of them have formal titles."

The habit of using "czar" to refer to an administration official dates back at least to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, but the real heyday of the czar came during President George W. Bush’s administration. The appellation was so popular that several news organizations reported on the rise of the czar during the Bush years, including NPR, which ran a piece called "What’s With This Czar Talk?" and Politico, which published an article on the evolution of the term. The latter, written during the 2008 presidential campaign, points out that czars are "really nothing new. They’ve long been employed in one form or another to tackle some of the nation’s highest-profile problems." Politico quotes author and political appointments expert James Bovard saying that the subtext of "czar" has changed from insult to praise: "It’s a real landmark sign in political culture to see this change from an odious term to one of salvation.”

Now it’s turned odious again, with Republican senators calling czars unconstitutional and cable hosts like Beck and Sean Hannity characterizing them as shadowy under-the-table appointees used by Obama to dodge the usual approval processes. In fact, of the 32 czars Beck lists:

* Nine were confirmed by the Senate, including the director of national intelligence ("intelligence czar"), the chief performance officer ("government performance czar") and the deputy interior secretary ("California water czar").
* Eight more were not appointed by the president – the special advisor to the EPA overseeing its Great Lakes restoration plan ("Great Lakes czar") is EPA-appointed, for instance, and the assistant secretary for international affairs and special representative for border affairs ("border czar") is appointed by the secretary of homeland security.
* Fifteen of the "czarships" Beck lists, including seven that are in neither of the above categories, were created by previous administrations. (In some cases, as with the "economic czar," the actual title – in this case, chairman of the president’s economic recovery advisory board – is new, but there has been an official overseeing the area in past administrations. In others, as with the special envoy to Sudan, the position is old but the "czar" appellation is new.)
* In all, of the 32 positions in Beck’s list, only eight are Obama-appointed, unconfirmed, brand new czars.

These new "czars" include the special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan; the director of recovery for auto communities and workers; the senior advisor for the president’s Automotive Task Force; the special adviser for green jobs, enterprise, and innovation at the White House Council on Environmental Quality; the federal chief information officer; the chair of the Recovery Act Transparency and Accountability Board; the White House director of urban affairs; and the White House coordinator for weapons of mass destruction, security and arms control. Or, as Glenn Beck would have it, the Afghanistan czar, the auto recovery czar, the car czar, the embattled green jobs czar, the information czar, the stimulus accountability czar, the urban affairs czar and the WMD policy czar.

Some of these new positions would have been meaningless in a previous administration. Previous presidents didn’t need an Automotive Task Force or a Recovery Act Transparency and Accountability Board. These positions are similar to George W. Bush’s "World Trade Center health czar" and "Gulf Coast reconstruction czar" in that they are new advisory positions created to deal with temporary challenges facing the administration. Others do represent new long-term concerns (urban affairs, climate change), but the act of appointing advisers to manage new areas of interest is hardly unique to the Obama administration. The Bush administration, for instance, created the "faith-based czar" and the "cybersecurity czar."

Another thing: Beck counts among his 32 "czars" three who have not been called "czars" by reporters at all, except in stories claiming that the Obama administration has lots of "czars." We’ve compiled a FactCheck.org list that discounts these positions, which seem to be "czars" only in the context of media czar-hysteria. (Our list also adds three czars Beck’s research didn’t find – a "diversity czar," a "manufacturing czar" and an "Iran czar.")

As for Obama having an unprecedented number of czars, the Bush administration had even more appointed or nominated positions whose holders were called "czars" by the media. The DNC has released a Web video claiming that there were 47, but it’s counting multiple holders of the same position. We checked the DNC’s list against Nexis and other news records, and found a total of 35 Bush administration positions that were referred to as "czars" in the news media. (Our list of confirmed "czars," with news media sources cited, is here.) Again, many of these advisory positions were not new – what was new was the "czar" shorthand. Like the Obama czars, the Bush czars held entirely prosaic administrative positions: special envoys, advisers, office heads, directors, secretaries. The preponderance of czars earned both ridicule and concern in editorials and in media, but no objections from Congress.

Mr Linky McLinklink
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/09/czar-search/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 PM 

I read that article, and used it for my comparison. Their definition of "eight unconfirmed brand new czars" leaves me scratching my head when I look at their list.

From it I see the following overlap:
AIDS Czar (Both administrations)
TARP Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Communications Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Counterterrorism Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Drug Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Intelligence Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Regulatory Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Science Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval

Of their list, I see the following czars that were not part of the Bush administration:
Afghanistan-Pakistan Czar
Auto Recovery Czar
Border Czar
California Water Czar (Congress approved)
Car Czar
Climate Czar
Diversity Czar
Domestic Violence Czar
Economics Czar
Energy Czar
Government Performance Czar (Congress approved)
Great Lakes Czar
Green Jobs Czar
Guantanamo Closure Czar
Health Czar
Iran Czar
Manufacturing Czar
Mideast Czar
Pay Czar
Stimulus Accountability Czar
Technology Czar (Congress approved)
Urban Affairs Czar
Weapons Czar (Congress approved)
Weapons of Mass Destruction Czar

That is more than eight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:28 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

krby71 wrote:
I read that article, and used it for my comparison. Their definition of "eight unconfirmed brand new czars" leaves me scratching my head when I look at their list.

From it I see the following overlap:
AIDS Czar (Both administrations)
TARP Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Communications Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Counterterrorism Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Drug Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Intelligence Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Regulatory Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval
Science Czar (Both administrations) - Congressional approval

Of their list, I see the following czars that were not part of the Bush administration:
Afghanistan-Pakistan Czar
Auto Recovery Czar
Border Czar
California Water Czar (Congress approved)
Car Czar
Climate Czar
Diversity Czar
Domestic Violence Czar
Economics Czar
Energy Czar
Government Performance Czar (Congress approved)
Great Lakes Czar
Green Jobs Czar
Guantanamo Closure Czar
Health Czar
Iran Czar
Manufacturing Czar
Mideast Czar
Pay Czar
Stimulus Accountability Czar
Technology Czar (Congress approved)
Urban Affairs Czar
Weapons Czar (Congress approved)
Weapons of Mass Destruction Czar

That is more than eight.

You read it? Or did you just skim it and call it a day?

Had you actually read it, you might have noticed some tidbits like the Great Lakes Czar wasn't appointed by the president, but instead by the EPA. Similarly, the Border Czar appointed by DOHS.

Further the Economics czar has a new title (chairman of the president’s economic recovery advisory board), but the position the czar is in charge of is pre-existing.

Follow the link I provided if you care. They have other links there too such as a breakdown of the czars marked as to whether they are senate confirmed or non-presidentially appointed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 PM 

Yes, I took their PDF files and did lots of work on it.

Here is my spreadsheet if you would like:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... zaUE&hl=en

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 PM 

I also find it interesting that you ignore that I am siding with renown stalwarts of Conservatism Sen Robert Byrd and Sen. Russ Feingold who are questioning the presidents use of unapproved czars.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 PM 

I don't care who is or isn't supporting it. I didn't have a problem with czars in Bush's administration either. My problem with you is that YOU aren't being consistent. You only had a problem with it when Obama became president, and that reeks of sheep.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

How can you say he's not being consistent when he has a frickin SPREADSHEET?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:26 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I link to the first five articles I read instead of making my own decisions. The internet says Czars are bad therefore Czars are bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:29 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Plow King put Homer out of business.
But he got even.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:16 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I always hire people to perform a job that's another person's responsibility, and then I pay both of them. Why let them be a staffer themselves, when they can have their own building and staff? Having more people means better and faster decisions. It helps me to cut costs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

krby71 wrote:
I also find it interesting that you ignore that I am siding with renown stalwarts of Conservatism Sen Robert Byrd and Sen. Russ Feingold who are questioning the presidents use of unapproved czars.

Of course I'm ignoring it, because I don't give a fuck. I'm not defending Obama because I'm a democrat, I'm defending him because the argument is stupid. People are all up in arms about czars because they're god damned idiots. The special envoy to Sudan means nothing to them. Call him the Sudan Czar and holy fuck! And that still doesn't even touch on the fact that the term "czar" is just a media-given appellation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 AM 

Quote:
Many of these are more than just advisers, they are making policy and they have zero oversight.

Can you provide documentation to support this statement. I keep hearing this but yet I've seen nothing to support that any of these positions have actual authority or responsibility to do anything but advise those who do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:16 PM 

Kitiari wrote:
Quote:

Can you provide documentation to support this statement. I keep hearing this but yet I've seen nothing to support that any of these positions have actual authority or responsibility to do anything but advise those who do.

I did by quoting the LA Times article earlier:

More from that LA Times article that shows where the lines of oversight have been erased:

Quote:
This week,(article was written in March) he named two women to lead his effort to overhaul the nation's healthcare system. One of them, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, was tapped to be Health and Human Services secretary. At her confirmation hearings, senators will be able to probe her views on health policy and demand detailed documentation of her credentials.

But the other, Nancy-Ann DeParle, who was named health czar, can begin work right away, without outside review of her abilities or opinions. And whereas lawmakers can ask Sebelius for testimony in the future and control her budget, DeParle may remain largely outside the gaze of Congress.

The confusion about competing roles played by czars and their Cabinet counterparts was on display Monday (article published in March) as White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs tried to explain how authority would be divided between DeParle and Sebelius as they steer health reform through Congress.

At first, he declared that DeParle "will be in charge." Then he acknowledged a role for Sebelius and others.

That example is showing Ms DeParle will be leading the policy change - above Sec. Sebelius, - without being confirmed by Congress. That is the big difference between what the prior administration did and this one is doing with czars. This administration is having people that don't have to answer to Congress set and make policy.

The Bush czars and some of the Obama czars are advisers, the issue is where these people have no oversight and/or don't have to answer to anyone but the president. I have no problem with using czars as advisers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:07 AM 

The LA Times piece you quoted says a lot of nothing. I'm interested in something that spells out the czars authority and responsibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Attachment:
sky-is-falling.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Czars-schmars! Who cares whether oversight lines have been erased when we have a congress that not only refuses to do it's oversight job but actively pushes oversight duties onto others?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Serious question... are the "czars" setting or suggesting policy that is beyond executive control? If not, then who cares? If a czar does something illegal under the order of the executive, then the executive should be held responsible. But who cares if he delegates his authority? That's good leadership.

Take a programming team. It can have a "change control czar", a "code review czar", a design committe overseen by a "documentation czar". It can rotate the title of "support czar".

We're back in the same boat with Bush haters... rip on his multitude of legitimate shortcomings rather than Glenn Beck invented problems.

Offline Profile