All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's a sad old flag...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:36 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Story Source: http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/1570067.html

Jist: Son puts up flag for dad just before he's deployed. Dad says he'll keep it flying until son returns. Flag quickly degrades, it's dirty and shredded.

People go batshit about it. Dad explains why he hasn't replaced it. Some understand...some don't.
---------------------------

My opinion? He has a good reason, and it's his property. STFU. Plus the guy served for 22 years in the military, including in time of war (the guy flying the flag)...so again, stfu. This guy has done more to preserve the right of Americans to fly a goddamned flag than probably most of the whiners. This story just bugs the shit out of me because it's just shocking that people feel they have such a right to tell other people what to do.

I mean I could understand someone stopping and asking about it. That I get, I know it truly bothers a lot of people to see a flag in such poor shape, especially with people who just fly them as decoration. But once you know? Then stfu.

I hope his son returns safely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:05 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I dunno...I mean, he could just replace it. I get that it's a heartwarming reason and all that he's leaving it up, but...well, that's still not really a free pass to do what many consider to being equivalent to just spitting on the thing.

Guess I can see both sides of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:19 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
What's more important: the flag, or a promise made to the soldier defending that flag?

Simple as that. Anyone who says the flag is more important doesn't understand the meaning of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
I dunno...I mean, he could just replace it. I get that it's a heartwarming reason and all that he's leaving it up, but...well, that's still not really a free pass to do what many consider to being equivalent to just spitting on the thing.

Guess I can see both sides of it.

I don't see how it's equiv to spitting on it. It would be one thing to mentally *neglect* the flag and not clean it off or replace it. But he's doing it for a specific reason which has nothing to do with neglect.

And frankly I like his reasoning. If it symbolizes anything, it's that we(or at the very least he) hold true to our promises even through the tough times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:15 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
it's just shocking that people feel they have such a right to tell other people what to do.

Fucking homeowner's associations. Willing to bet that is how the harrasment of this guy started.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This guy has done more to preserve the right of Americans to fly a goddamned flag than probably most of the whiners. This story just bugs the shit out of me because it's just shocking that people feel they have such a right to tell other people what to do.

In the story you linked, all the guys that were upset about it were also military or ex-military. And it didn't seem like they were "telling him what to do" so much as the condition of the flag just made them very emotional and they felt very strongly about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This story just bugs the shit out of me because it's just shocking that people feel they have such a right to tell other people what to do.

Also, on this note, they DO have the right to voice their opinion and express that they think he should take it down. They can't make him take it down, but they do have the right to - as you put it - "tell him what to do".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Or, to split hairs, "tell him what they think he should do."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I don't understand why he'd just leave it up there, instead of taking it down at night and actually caring for it. Doesn't take much effort to keep a flag from falling apart; it's likely in bad shape from being rained on. If it were me, I'd rather come home to see the flag as I left it; not a multi-colored party streamer. It's a little weird, but people are allowed to be weird.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
It's a little weird, but people are allowed to be weird.

Yeah and that's why I'm not really taking any side here, just saying that I can see where both sides are coming from. If he really wants to let it sit there and rot, that's his business. On the other hand, I can see why other people - especially military folks who gave a lot for their country - would be upset at the sight.

My grandfather was a real stickler about the flag. He was severely and permanently disabled during his time in the Navy, and I guess after giving so much one would HAVE to take that kind of stuff seriously.

But yeah, I really can't take either side here, so I guess then it just falls down to what he's allowed to do, which is whatever he wants.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:51 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
this is a case where these people just need to be told one thing

mind your own fucking business

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:38 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I get it but i disagree... Id be curious to hear the sons take on the matter...

If i was overseas and my mom did the same thing id tell her to replace the flag, because it is pretty disrespectful. I thought 'maybe its just kinda tattered', but taking a look at the picture shows that flag is beyond disrepair, its really bad, when its ripped like that it is a sad thing...

But im not going to get all angry about it or say this lady is wrong, its just sad IMO on both accounts(flag and son/mother)...

The flag alone means a lot more than people realize to many service members. Id guess that the people asking it be replaced aren't dishonoring the son, but the opposite....

Again, id be really curious to hear the sons take on the matter.

Formerly known as:
Dashkast Justifyer
75 Gnomish Puppy kicker

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:56 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Tyral the Kithless wrote:
What's more important: the flag, or a promise made to the soldier defending that flag?

Simple as that. Anyone who says the flag is more important doesn't understand the meaning of it.

I couldn't agree with this more. And it's not just a promise to a solider, but also a son.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:39 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Does he have a legal right? Is it an HOA complaining? If so he is wrong legally. He signed a contract giving up his rights on his own property when he bought the place. He could fly it indoors....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:56 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I wouldn't be surprised if there were an actual law against flying a tattered flag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:43 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
from the article:

Quote:
Federal law governs how flags should be flown. That law, part of the United States Code, does not require worn flags to be replaced, however. Instead, the code has a general rule that "no disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:34 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
reading is for pussies

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:54 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Tarot wrote:

I couldn't agree with this more. And it's not just a promise to a solider, but also a son.
It's not like he didn't know the shit he was going to get by leaving the flag out to rot.

As for which is more important, flag or promise, neither is inherently more important than the other. It takes a special kind of stupid though to make a promise like that and not expect a lot of people with strong feelings about it to come knocking on your door to tell you what they think.

If I were in the son's shoes, I'd be pissed as hell. You don't treat so carelessly something that is representative of what I volunteered to give my life to protect and expect me to be anything other than angry. The fact that you made the same oath doesn't make it ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:13 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

So, apparently Devyn finds the flag itself to be more important than the promise made. Got it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

So, apparently Devyn finds the flag itself to be more important than the promise made. Got it.
You're an idiot. No where did I even hint that one was more important than the other. As a matter of fact, I said...
Quote:
...neither is inherently more important than the other.

The fact that I'd be pissed that the promise was even made to me is not indicative of either the flag or promise being more important. It is indicative of the fact that I would find it abhorrent to be placed into a situation where I have to either hope for you to desecrate something I hold dear or to break a promise to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Just to challenge you on the idea that neither is more important than the other, if you were a soldier in combat, would you tear a flag apart to bandage a wounded ally if was no other material was available and he would be at serious risk if you refused?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:12 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Devyn wrote:
The fact that I'd be pissed that the promise was even made to me is not indicative of either the flag or promise being more important. It is indicative of the fact that I would find it abhorrent to be placed into a situation where I have to either hope for you to desecrate something I hold dear or to break a promise to me.

"Desecrate." I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Devyn wrote:

So you'd be pissed at your parents for doing something was not ill intentioned? That's kind of shitty.

Somehow I don't see the son coming back from the war and being all, "WHAT THE FUCK DAD! HOW COULD YOU KEEP THAT PROMISE AFTER LOOKING AT THE FLAG'S CONDITION?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUUU?!"

Especially after all the shit the dad is getting from people who can't mind their own businesses. But, you never know! =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:29 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Little Johnny always cuts his father's yard.
Little Johnny is going in for routine surgery and he tells his dad he's afraid.
Dad says, "Nothing will happen to you. If something did, who'd cut my lawn?"
Little Johnny says, "you promise me I can cut it when I get out of the hospital?"
Dad says, "I promise you nobody will ever cut that lawn except for you."
Little Johnny dies horribly during the routine surgery.
Dad never cuts his lawn again because of a "promise made to his son."
Neighborhood is in an uproar and demands he cut his lawn.
He refuses.

Is this really that different? My opinion:
Neat story about your son, but cut the fucking yard.
Neat story about your son, but get a new fucking flag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:05 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I don't think it is quite the same. But, okay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Leolan wrote:
Just to challenge you on the idea that neither is more important than the other, if you were a soldier in combat, would you tear a flag apart to bandage a wounded ally if was no other material was available and he would be at serious risk if you refused?
I don't really see how this situation relates to how important a promise is in comparison to the flag. To answer your question though, I'd piss on a flag, break an untold number of promises and slap my Dad across the face if it means the chance to save a wounded ally. I doubt you'd find anyone who'd take a different stance on that particular matter.

"Desecrate." I don't think that word means what you think it means.
2 : to treat disrespectfully, irreverently, or outrageously

Gosthok wrote:
So you'd be pissed at your parents for doing something was not ill intentioned? That's kind of shitty.
Only if they did it knowing my feelings on the matter, which all of my family and friends do. I don't know the family in the story, and I don't know the son's stance on the subject or whether or not his parents are aware of that stance. I have no opinion on how the son should react, only on how I would react if the same were to happen to me.

I don't see how being angry at someone who deliberately does something they know is going to piss you off is inappropriate, even if they're your parents and even if they did it with your best interests at heart.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:26 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Devyn: You're right. Looks like I completely misunderstood. Sorry about that. I thought you were comparing the welfare of the soldier to the welfare of the flag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Gosthok wrote:
I don't think it is quite the same. But, okay.

Why? Because the kid is representing the country so it means more than the kid who's not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Nah, not that. I don't think having an uncut lawn is quite the same as having a ruined flag flying on your front yard. ;P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
honestly, I'd be more offended by a ruined flag, regardless of the reason, than an uncut lawn.

There are rules to displaying the american flag. One of those rules is to not fly a flag that is not in good repair, and to take it down in inclement weather.

If the flag is fubar, it's because the rules to flying the flag were not followed.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:23 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
It was probably made in china anyway. Who cares.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery

What Would Hulk Do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:36 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

That reminds me of:

Last edited by Vanamar on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
bovinity fails at youtube code. read youtube for dummies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:37 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Oh, crap. =(

Offline Profile