It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:52 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:51 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

That was a lot of paragraphs for something that had nothing to do with what you quoted, Tarot. You were talking about what the cops would have done if he were white versus black, nothing else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The cop most definitely had probable cause to detain him at the very least due to the breaking and entering call that had been issued. This guy was pissed that neighbors called because a "suspicious black man" was entering the residence and possibly illegally. Right to be pissed off? Maybe. Possible profiling by the neighbors? Potentially. Right to be pissed at the cop? Not so much. I have no sympathy for this guy whatsoever. He's only preaching on a soapbox he built himself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 PM 
I am a Spaceman

EQ1: Muligan
EQ2: Muligan
SWOR: Muligan
The cop did have reason to enter the home considering that he was responding to a burglary. While suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, police officers have every right to regard suspects as dangerous until proven otherwise.

Furthermore, a university ID badge hardly qualifies as valid proof of identification under the law. Valid ID is defined in every state I've ever been in as any of the following: military, driver's license / state ID, or a passport.

Finally, chasing a cop into the street while slinging insults is a surefire way to get arrested for disorderly conduct. The cop was well within his boundaries to arrest the man for disorderly conduct, failure to comply with a police officer and/or failure to present valid identification.

The best way to handle any involvement with the police is to keep your mouth shut unless responding to a question and otherwise do as you're told. Had the man simply presented his ID without question the situation would have been diffused. There was no reason to yell at the officer, period.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:42 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
But he was black in amerikkka.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:32 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
But he was black in amerikkka.

I think that's what pissed me off the most.

Here's a man who's clearly doing well in America. He does something silly, gets arrested (Not convicted, tried, thrown in prison, nothing.) and suddenly he's crying to the hills about his plight of being "black in america".

Fuck that. That's an attack on us all. That's the kind of bullshit that keeps making us take steps backward in racial equality. Don't cry wolf with this shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:57 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I thought this was a pretty well-written perspective on the attention this is getting:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t ... about.html

Quote:
Interesting as it is to speculate about Henry Louis Gates and the Cambridge Police Department, the attention the case is generating reflects an unfortunate feature of American public discourse: you've got someone like Radley Balko who spends the bulk of his career documenting the most grave instances of police misconduct imaginable -- including cases that involve the incarceration of innocent people for years on end -- and most of even the egregious cases he writes about never break into mainstream conversation, whereas a minor altercation involving a Harvard professor who isn't even being charged with a crime spawns wall-to-wall media coverage.

Isn't it notable that six months into his presidency, the most prominent advocacy President Obama has done on behalf of minorities mistreated by police is to stand up for his Ivy League buddy? Somehow I imagine that Professor Gates would've fared just fine absent help from Harvard's most prominent alumnus.

Whereas if President Obama spoke up at a press conference on behalf of people wrongly imprisoned due to "testimony" by police dogs, or advocated for those sexually assaulted by an officer, or spoke against prosecutors who block access to DNA testing, or called out the officer who choked a paramedic, or objected to the practice of police killing family pets, or asked the Innocence Project for a clear cut case of injustice to publicize...

I understand, of course, that Pres. Obama was asked about Henry Louis Gates, which is also part of the problem. Wrongly arrest a black men who happens to be a Harvard professor, release him without filing charges, and the national press corps asks the president to comment. Wrongly imprison for years on end a black man who happens to be working class and without celebrity, and the national press corps continues to utterly ignore a criminal justice system that routinely convicts innocent people. Apportioning blame for this sorry state of affairs isn't as important as recognizing that the news we get on these matters reflects a value system that is seriously flawed, and that news consumers bear blame for too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

There are two stories here, the officer's story and Gates's story. According to Gates, he let the officer in and provided ID, and the officer acted like a douchebag in the process. According to the officer, Gates was a douche, but he let the officer in and showed ID.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. They both probably acted like douchebags. But *both* accounts agree that Gates let the officer in and that before the officer stepped outside, Gates had been IDed as the resident and that the officer no longer believed that he was investigating a B&E.

One of the main functions a police officer is supposed to perform is deescalating a volatile situation. Cops get yelled at all the time - part of their job is to remain calm and controlled in the face of adversity. Once the residence was determined to not be an active crime scene, the cop should have apologized and left.

The only reason to "invite" Gates on to his porch was to arrest him for Contempt of Cop, since a porch counts as 'public' while inside doesn't. Even though Gates seems to have been acting like a douche, it isn't an arrestable offense, and the cop acted poorly, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
bearne wrote:
There are two stories here, the officer's story and Gates's story. According to Gates, he let the officer in and provided ID, and the officer acted like a douchebag in the process. According to the officer, Gates was a douche, but he let the officer in and showed ID.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. They both probably acted like douchebags. But *both* accounts agree that Gates let the officer in and that before the officer stepped outside, Gates had been IDed as the resident and that the officer no longer believed that he was investigating a B&E.

Wrong. You've apparently not read the police report at all. Gates did not let the officer in, the officer came in through a door that had obviously been broken into and confronted Gates in the home.

Oh, and your "the truth probably lies in the middle" bullshit would be great IF it were just Gates and the officer, but there were a half dozen witnesses to Gates being a douche, and not all of them were cops.
Quote:
One of the main functions a police officer is supposed to perform is deescalating a volatile situation. Cops get yelled at all the time - part of their job is to remain calm and controlled in the face of adversity. Once the residence was determined to not be an active crime scene, the cop should have apologized and left.

Yes, clearly Gates didn't do a thing wrong by being confrontational and argumentative with a police officer who was merely trying to do his job.

A part of YOUR responsibility as a citizen is to allow a police officer to do what YOU pay them to do: protect the public. Stopping by your house to investigate a potential break-in, when there's a clear reason for them to do so, is in YOUR best interests. Giving them lip and haranguing them and making it harder for them to do their job in the future fucks things up for the rest of us, because next time that cop might just poke his head in, ask if everything's all right, and go on his merry way because somewhere, someone got offended that a cop asked them some questions.

If you are inclined to be angry with a police officer for ensuring that you are a resident of a home that's been clearly broken into, instead of grateful that the cops showed up and that your neighbors cared enough to call them, then you have your priorities in the wrong place and have clearly not had to deal with your own home being burglarized. Hint: it's not fucking fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:53 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I read the police report, but it was over the weekend, and I'm in the middle of packing for a move. You're right, the accounts differ. And the police report version of any event is going to be written in the most positive light for the cops. Same for Gates.

No matter what, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If you want to be all big blustery Fuck You about it, that's fine. Sounds like you've got the primary attribute needed to be a successful member of the Cambridge PD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 AM 
Lois Lane!

They're both in the wrong, and honestly, I don't know how much race really did play in it.

Gates was wrong for acting like an ass and instantly assuming the cop was there because he is a black man. Instead, when the cop said they had reports of a break in, he should have said "I'm glad you're keeping an eye on the neighborhood because of recent breakins," provided ID and left it at that.

The cop, on the other hand, when he was sure it was the homeowner, should have thanked Gates, ignored the insults, and walked away. I think the arrest wasn't racially motivated, but more to salve his pride...by then they had an audience and perhaps he thought he'd look like a fool walking away while Gates talked about his mama.

I don't know. I could be wrong. And I am not saying there aren't racially motivated arrests, I just don't know that this specific incident was one. They're both acting like children, which is a shame considering one is an officer and the other is an Ivy League professor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:34 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
and have clearly not had to deal with your own home being burglarized. Hint: it's not fucking fun.

Yeah, I guess it helps you see things from the cops point of view after you've been in situations where you needed their help. That changes your viewpoint a bit from the adolescent, "Cops suck!" stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

bearne wrote:
I read the police report, but it was over the weekend, and I'm in the middle of packing for a move. You're right, the accounts differ. And the police report version of any event is going to be written in the most positive light for the cops. Same for Gates.

No matter what, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If you want to be all big blustery Fuck You about it, that's fine. Sounds like you've got the primary attribute needed to be a successful member of the Cambridge PD.

Yeah, because Cambridge is like the LAPD, minus the beatings and shit. FUCK THOSE GUYS, GDAWG!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:14 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
obama is a idiot

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:43 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Brigitmorgaine
WoW: Brigitmorgan
Tarot wrote:
If it had been a white guy they'd have simply said 'Oh sorry to disturb you sir'. And that's why it would be a non-story.

He was arrested for 'contempt of cop'. :P

Exactly.

And as was said earlier in the thread, Obama said he didn't have enough information as to whether or not racism was involved. He obviously felt he knew enough to say they acted "stupidly." The fact that they arrested the man after they KNEW it was his house was stupid.

While his comment may not be as politically savvy as it could be, we do have to realize that this man is also a friend of the President's. I was pleased at least to see that he didn't throw him "under the bus" for political points.

And yes, at the same time I'm pissed that it's derailing health care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

celticdiva wrote:
Tarot wrote:
If it had been a white guy they'd have simply said 'Oh sorry to disturb you sir'. And that's why it would be a non-story.

The fact that they arrested the man after they KNEW it was his house was stupid.

Exactly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:50 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Clarification:

"While his comment..." -- "his" meaning Pres. Obama's.

Sorry, haven't had coffee yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:04 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'll go on record stating that I think the arrest was valid; it's just too bad that all it's really done is give him a soapbox to stand on as well as diverge from other, much more important issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 AM 

I think if it were a white guy with a white cop, the question would be more related to why the celebrity Harvard professor thought he could shout invectives at the working class cop for just doing his job. Funny how there are two sides to every equation. Why isn't that being talked about more, I wonder?

Class warfare works great when you're using it to push tax hikes on the rich and to justify expensive new government programs, but not so much when the president defends a personal friend in a case where he admits he doesn't have all the facts.

I wonder if we'll get a tape today. And I also wonder if Crowley will sue for defamation or libel. It might stick better than a lawsuit by Gates against Crowley for racism that obviously doesn't exist. Wrongful arrest, maybe, but part of me thinks that the commissioner would not be coming to Crowley's defense if a wrongful arrest suit would stick.

I think the arrest was wrong and premature, as I've said here, but I also think there's ample evidence that Crowley is not racist, and actually a fairly good cop. I think the bigger issue is the rank opportunism by Gates. Again, I'd love to hear the dispatch tapes if it's true that Gates can be heard screaming at the officer. Odd, that Gates would practically setup a tent on Times Square proclaiming racism, and already talking about making a documentary.

And besides, how wrong was the arrest? There's a difference between arrests which get tossed and the prisoner released without charges and assigning some sort of wrongdoing on the part of the officer. After all, cops don't prosecute or determine guilt on the scene and they have some discretion to make judgment calls. The fact that the DA let Gates out isn't an indication of any wrongdoing by Crowley at all, and frankly, like I said above, I sort of doubt that the commissioner would come out so strongly for Crowley if he thought the officer had done anything wrong. I'm having a hard time getting real upset at the officer who was *clearly* provoked and made a judgment call that cooler heads can (probably rightly) criticize.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

celticdiva wrote:
Tarot wrote:

Exactly.

And as was said earlier in the thread, Obama said he didn't have enough information as to whether or not racism was involved. He obviously felt he knew enough to say they acted "stupidly." The fact that they arrested the man after they KNEW it was his house was stupid.

While his comment may not be as politically savvy as it could be, we do have to realize that this man is also a friend of the President's. I was pleased at least to see that he didn't throw him "under the bus" for political points.

If this was Sarah Palin you'd be all up in her vagina yelling about the stink. And for the record, you and I are on the same page when it comes to that silly broad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 PM 

Hmm.

Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/news/a ... rrest.html

Quote:
A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
cop unity :P

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Miramicha at Work wrote:
obama is a idiot

irony

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:28 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Vanamar wrote:
cop unity :P

And if he'd sided with Gates, someone would be saying "black unity," so damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 PM 

indeed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:58 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Elessar,

The Cambridge PD is pretty notorious for profiling, so much so that there have been a series of town hall meetings, task forces, etc., over the past year or two to address it. Once you scratch beneath the hipster / intellectual / liberal vibe, Metro Boston is very segregated, especially at the lower to middle class level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:06 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

bearne wrote:
Elessar,

The Cambridge PD is pretty notorious for profiling, so much so that there have been a series of town hall meetings, task forces, etc., over the past year or two to address it. Once you scratch beneath the hipster / intellectual / liberal vibe, Metro Boston is very segregated, especially at the lower to middle class level.

Fair enough. I'll take back my obnoxious comment then. That said, I think the only profiling being done was by the neighbors. And this guy should count himself lucky they bothered doing it, regardless of perception.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

The thing that gets me about this case, really, is that if Gates had been white, all of the usual wingnut suspects (and by that I am *not* referring to anyone that posts here) would be going apeshit over jackbooted thugs invading the sanctity of a man's castle, agitating against the police state, etc. Instead, because Gates is black, he's not righteously defending his property rights against thugs with a badge, he's an uppity Negro who wasn't being properly deferential.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

bearne wrote:
The thing that gets me about this case, really, is that if Gates had been white, all of the usual wingnut suspects (and by that I am *not* referring to anyone that posts here) would be going apeshit over jackbooted thugs invading the sanctity of a man's castle, agitating against the police state, etc. Instead, because Gates is black, he's not righteously defending his property rights against thugs with a badge, he's an uppity Negro who wasn't being properly deferential.

Unlikely, because if he had been white this wouldn't have been news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I disagree. We have collectively allowed a police state to develop over time, such that in general only the most egregious of offenses become news. The reason this story gained legs, IMHO, has less to do with race and more to do with class.

If this happened in any working class neighborhood, it would make the police blotter in the local paper, and probably not much more. It is news because it is a Harvard professor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:20 PM 

I completely agree, 100%. Good post, Bearne (you wanker).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

bearne wrote:
I disagree. We have collectively allowed a police state to develop over time, such that in general only the most egregious of offenses become news.

I genuinely don't know what you're talking about. How are we in a police state?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The term police state describes a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive.

The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement. Political control may be exerted by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional state.

How does that describe the United States?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:10 AM 

patriot act. government wiretapping without warrants.

We're in the beginnings of the police state, and I don't see this administration stopping that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Elessar wrote:
celticdiva wrote:
Tarot wrote:

Exactly.

If this was Sarah Palin you'd be all up in her vagina yelling about the stink. And for the record, you and I are on the same page when it comes to that silly broad.

Actually, no. Palin gave an opinion against a state initiative (an initiative I supported) while in her role as Governor that ended up as a complaint. I never supported that complaint (against my other Progressive bretheren) because I don't deny public officers their opinions...especially if asked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

celticdiva wrote:
Elessar wrote:
celticdiva wrote:
Tarot wrote:

Exactly.

Actually, no. Palin gave an opinion against a state initiative (an initiative I supported) while in her role as Governor that ended up as a complaint. I never supported that complaint (against my other Progressive bretheren) because I don't deny public officers their opinions...especially if asked.

Whoooooooosh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Vanamar wrote:
patriot act. government wiretapping without warrants.

We're in the beginnings of the police state, and I don't see this administration stopping that.

We've been in the "beginnings of a police state" for literally decades. It's been a rallying cry of liberals since the 60's. Yes, all nations will exhibit some traits of a police state, unless they're completely lawless. But the fact remains that we enjoy a huge amount of personal and political freedom in the United States, and we are in no way a police state.

Government wiretapping without warrants... wasn't that discontinued and ruled unconstitutional anyways? Hard to keep track of that crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:04 PM 

Quote:
Government wiretapping without warrants... wasn't that discontinued and ruled unconstitutional anyways? Hard to keep track of that crap.
No.

Real hard to Google stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:11 PM 

Unconstitutional or not, they got away with it for years.

The patriot act is the single biggest blow against liberty this country has ever seen. I see it as a huge slippery slope that needs to go. the fuck. away.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:56 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Vanamar wrote:
Unconstitutional or not, they got away with it for years.

The patriot act is the single biggest blow against liberty this country has ever seen. I see it as a huge slippery slope that needs to go. the fuck. away.

100% agree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:57 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Oh, and they got away with it because this country is full of irrational pussies who need to get a fucking helmet already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:43 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

joxur wrote:
Quote:
No.

Real hard to Google stuff.

Actually, you're wrong. At one point it WAS ruled unconstitutional. The case was later dismissed on appeal, but a flat-out "no" to that question was incorrect. Real hard to Google stuff, eh? (As an aside, I know you spend countless hours looking up every aspect of every discussion you ever have here; don't presume the rest of us are as sorely lacking in a social and family life as you.)

Nonetheless, warrantless wiretapping, while wrong and certainly not in line with our values as Americans, isn't the primary and defining characteristic of a police state. The statement was made that we ARE a police state, not that "we have characteristics resembling a police state." While the latter is true of nearly every nation on the planet, the former is a ridiculous assertion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 PM 

My statement was that we're in the beginnings, and quite possibly close to the middle. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:53 PM 

Is this the point where I offer to compare W2's, or pics of wives?

Nice troll attempt. I think I know a teeny bit more than you do about FISA and warrantless wiretapping.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:59 PM 

Quote:
Real hard to Google stuff, eh? (As an aside, I know you spend countless hours looking up every aspect of every discussion you ever have here; don't presume the rest of us are as sorely lacking in a social and family life as you.)

IIRC he said he browses a lot while at work, so I dunno about his family/social life. He's probably the epitome of the lazy worker that leaves the stack of work on his desk until the very moment it needs to be done so he can waste more time. Or the classic "I'm on call so I can't do anything until someone asks for me" excuse to be unproductive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:04 PM 

ah yes, because people who spend the entire day on the internet at work are lazy, obviously!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 PM 

Tyral - would you say that Cheney's action in 2002 urging the use of military force (not police) against US citizens suspected of terrorist activity - moving towards a police state?

Take your time researching that one, I'm sure you've never heard of that, either. Here's a head start, copy and paste "Authority for Use of Military Force to Combat Terrorist Activities Within the U.S." into teh Google.

For extra credit, what is your opinion about Obama's move to permanently entrench indefinite detention, AND preventative detention? Here's a primer:

1) Indefinite = No trial, no predictable timetable of release.
2) Preventative = Arresting people who have not committed a crime.

And finally, would you say that when one administration removes rights, and the very next administration, of the opposite party, further erodes those rights - is that moving towards a police state?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:40 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I think saying "moving toward" a police state is a TAD bit extreme. We're definitely moving in the wrong direction to be sure. I'd say we're moving into nanny state/big brother territory at this stage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:55 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

joxur wrote:
Tyral - would you say that Cheney's action in 2002 urging the use of military force (not police) against US citizens suspected of terrorist activity - moving towards a police state?

Take your time researching that one, I'm sure you've never heard of that, either. Here's a head start, copy and paste "Authority for Use of Military Force to Combat Terrorist Activities Within the U.S." into teh Google.

For extra credit, what is your opinion about Obama's move to permanently entrench indefinite detention, AND preventative detention? Here's a primer:

1) Indefinite = No trial, no predictable timetable of release.
2) Preventative = Arresting people who have not committed a crime.

And finally, would you say that when one administration removes rights, and the very next administration, of the opposite party, further erodes those rights - is that moving towards a police state?

And, again, I'm not responding to someone saying "we are moving toward a police state." I'm responding to someone saying that we ARE LIVING IN a police state. There's a significant difference.

Nonetheless, your baiting fails, sir, as I've read about both situations. The first obviously is not a move toward a police state because it was never implemented. At least that little bit of Cheney's crazy bullshit didn't make it past a "what if" stage. And the only reference to the discussion on detention I've seen is in regards to enemy combatants. I've said this before: I think we're violating Geneva rules regarding how we've treated prisoners of war, and we need to stop.

We may be making mistakes, and we may wrongfully curtailing certain individual liberties, but we are a far cry removed from being a police state.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 PM 

Quote:
ah yes, because people who spend the entire day on the internet at work are lazy, obviously!

If they're spending as much time as Joxur looking up irrelevant(to the job) odds and ends, then yes, absolutely. Well actually, to be more precise the word would be "unproductive", which studies show internet use in the workplace has led to. Doesn't mean you can't have people using the internet in a working environment(obviously if the job requires it it's another story), it just means you can't have irresponsible workers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:43 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Venen wrote:
Quote:

If they're spending as much time as Joxur looking up irrelevant(to the job) odds and ends, then yes, absolutely. Well actually, to be more precise the word would be "unproductive", which studies show internet use in the workplace has led to. Doesn't mean you can't have people using the internet in a working environment(obviously if the job requires it it's another story), it just means you can't have irresponsible workers.

Shut the fuck up, already. With as much as you post, on the "assumption of productivity meter" he's probably got you covered tenfold in terms of contribution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:10 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

What bothers me is this is going to be swept under the rug. Even after the president saying we need to have open honest discussions about racial tension. I believe there was racial tension in this case.

It was caused by fame throwing weight and then cring wolf. I feel bad for all cops that have to deal with celebrities let alone racial issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:17 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Fribur wrote:
I haven't called it racism in any of my arguments. Both of you need to stop with the strawmen. My arguments about the stupidity of this cop don't need racism to make sense.

You didn't. Gates did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:21 AM 

No need to ignore reality just to make your point, Elessar. I used to post quite a bit back in the day. At the moment I don't hold a candle to Joxur in that department. I think I'm at around 4 posts this week, of about an average of 3 lines of text! =)

Stick to making irrelevant and addressed points about "exceptions to the rule" in the Healthcare Bill thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:07 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
You didn't. Gates did.

And they were discussing the issue with me, not Gates, when I made that comment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The whole reason this story has become so big is because it is racism. To discuss this incident without reguard to racism is a bit silly.

Gates was racist by declaring racial profiling imediately when seeing a white man in a police uniform.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Oh, snap, the reverse-racism rebound rears it's head.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:00 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Excellent philosophical examination by Henry of Crooked Timber of the Gates arrest.

Quote:
Assuming a cop is a racist is its own form of unwarranted bias. Because a person has chosen a career in policing does not mean that person is a racist. There are certainly racist cops, but if a person truly believes in the rights and responsibilities of the individual community member, then it will ultimately be that officer’s own conduct that determines whether he is a racist or not. Reports seem to indicate that Gates made accusations of racism before he had any meaningful interaction with the officer, who was called there by an impartial Cambridge resident to protect his home. Again, this is not a way to treat a person you have just met, regardless of the role he is acting in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:34 AM 

Quote:
At the moment I don't hold a candle to Joxur in that department.
Your last 20 posts are more recent than my last 20 posts. You've also got me beat on total post count. Unless you're not counting posts made *about* me, which must go into some weird fetish compartment in your brain.

I am still waiting for your rebuttal in the health care thread. Here, I'll add some motivation: also up for discussion, what kind of car I drive! A two-fer. Now you can get educated AND masturbate at the same time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:46 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Venen wrote:
No need to ignore reality just to make your point, Elessar. I used to post quite a bit back in the day. At the moment I don't hold a candle to Joxur in that department. I think I'm at around 4 posts this week, of about an average of 3 lines of text! =)

Stick to making irrelevant and addressed points about "exceptions to the rule" in the Healthcare Bill thread.

OMGZING!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:02 PM 

Quote:
Your last 20 posts are more recent than my last 20 posts. You've also got me beat on total post count. Unless you're not counting posts made *about* me, which must go into some weird fetish compartment in your brain.

35 posts for you from July 23rd to 26th, are you kidding? I'm at 12 for the same timeline, and none of them revolve around spending additional time browsing the web for your usual links. You said you took a vacation around July 11th, that's the only reason that you could possibly say the last 20 posts were "more recent" :lol: As for total posts, you rejoined and started posting again on the Lanys forums a year later than I did. And, as I said, I used to post more - but almost never from work =)

Quote:
OMGZING!

Couldn't agree more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Random derail to flaming:

My take on this:

Cops go to Gates' place on a legit call. He answers the door rudely, looking to pick a fight because they are on HIS PROPERTY. Self-fulling prophecy ensues. I think Gates was thrilled to be arrested.

He runs his mouth, police are annoyed. He could have been some crazy wanderer or something. Heck - just last winter, I had an old lady park her daughter's SUV in my drive way, try to come in my house, and then run away. We were dumbstruck. I called the police who eventually helped us track down the owner, who was out of town and said her mom "gets confused". In this case, the mother had walked home and her sister came to pick up the SUV.

Anyway, the point is - the cops had no way to know this guy was the house's owner. Had they smacked him around or something, I might have some sympathy.

There might be some racial undertones, because there is shit like "Driving While Black" that goes on. But in this case, I think Gates hurt the cause by antagonizing what was a legit stop by the police. Then Obama embarrassed himself and his administration by weighing in on something with absolutely no facts.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next