It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
It's those people who make her matter, unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I might have actually voted for McCain if not for her being on the ticket, that's how much damage I felt he did to himself by picking her. =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
...fresh, composed, and articulate.
Who the fuck ever thought of her as composed or articulate? And she's far beyond fresh at this point, I can't imagine there's anyone who's not sick of hearing about her.

He's referring to the RNC in Minnesota. Did you watch it? She was all of those things. This was prior to her interviews where we got a different look at her.

Prior to that she was pretty fucking scary, and she was all of those things at the RNC. I remember waking up in Denver Friday morning expecting wall to wall coverage of screaming supporters waving flags at Invesco field. Instead I got nothing but Palin. At that point it was brilliant because it completely muted DNC coverage. If she hadn't blown those interviews, it would have remained brilliant, and McCain would be President.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I guess we saw different RNC's and different coverage, then.

All I got from about 90% of the coverage I watched was, "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS NOBODY, AND SHE'S A GIRL!" and I sure didn't get the articulate/composed/fresh stuff from her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:46 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

/shrug

I thought she was great personally. I mean, I of course disagreed with her politically. But she was very scary at that point, and her RNC speech blew that place up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:48 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Well, it's a damned good thing that she showed her true lack of ability later, because if she hadn't then there's a good chance I would have voted for McCain.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Funny thing is that according to a USA Today/Gallup poll, her resignation didn't really have much effect on people's opinion of her. Republicans still love her and think she's unfairly portrayed by the media, democrats still hate her, and independents are still split, but more tilted away from her.

In that sense, it might not have been a bad move to resign. It didn't hurt her popularity with her base, she can't lower her popularity with the other side any more anyway, and she can probably keep her face in the public eye more easily with national speaking engagements than in Alaska.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

At least she can still keep an eye on Russia for us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

If she runs I have to get to one of her town hall meetings and ask her "So if you're elected and then re-elected what date can we expect you to resign to spare us your lame duckness?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

And that's exactly why she'll lose, of course.

I think she's really just looking to cash in with what she's got now and make some money off of her notoriety. Hell, I think I would do the same thing in her position to be perfectly honest.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Follow up question...So shouldn't Reagan have quit in 85 or 86? Instead of finishing his term?! How dare he !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Those that are supporting her now are just blind. Quitting on her elected position in the middle of her term shows to me that she can't handle the pressures of elected office.

Honestly, I liked her when she first came on the national scene. She was a jolt of energy that the McCain campaign sorely needed. When she was rehearsed she was great (much like a lot of politicians) but when she got off script she was overwhelmed. When she was first announced and right after the GOP convention I was leaning to voting for McCain. After we got to see what she really was I knew that there was no use so I voted Libertarian.

It is sad that she is one of the few that is trying to trumpet the message of the conservatives. That is why people have latched on to her. The conservative movement needs to have a much better spokesperson. One that understands that true conservatism understands that you have to keep the government not only out of our wallets but out of our bedrooms and living rooms as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Honestly, I liked her too until she opened her mouth and all the ignorance poured out. But then, I'm a guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

krby71 wrote:
It is sad that she is one of the few that is trying to trumpet the message of the conservatives. That is why people have latched on to her. The conservative movement needs to have a much better spokesperson. One that understands that true conservatism understands that you have to keep the government not only out of our wallets but out of our bedrooms and living rooms as well.

QFT.

I don't need a bunch of Christian right-wingers telling me how I should live my life or, worse, trying to legislate morality. These people need to learn to mind their own fucking business.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Brigitmorgaine
WoW: Brigitmorgan
Quote:
One that understands that true conservatism understands that you have to keep the government not only out of our wallets but out of our bedrooms and living rooms as well.

Unless you need to have an abortion...or are gay and want to get married.

Other than that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:14 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

krby71 wrote:
Those that are supporting her now are just blind. Quitting on her elected position in the middle of her term shows to me that she can't handle the pressures of elected office.
Honestly, this is the reason why she has absolutely no political future.

How could ANYONE in their right mind nominate her? Even if you are a die-hard-ultra-conservative-ninja-Republican, I do not understand how you could support her for president (god forbid).

Does anyone think the scrutiny will be LESS as President? Let's assume you take her at face value, and she quit because she would be worthless as a lame duck and evil Democrats are attacking her... what does that mean when she's in another office???

I have spoke more on this than she deserves, but I do not understand in the least how she thinks she could possibly have a chance at higher office.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:20 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

celticdiva wrote:
Quote:
One that understands that true conservatism understands that you have to keep the government not only out of our wallets but out of our bedrooms and living rooms as well.

Unless you need to have an abortion...or are gay and want to get married.

Other than that...
Um, that's where he said "stay out of our bedroom." He is probably more on your side than you imagine - so don't start slinging arrows just yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:45 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

OK, just re-read the post and saw the word "true."

That's why it cracks me up when Palin tries to frame the "the Democrats are after me" meme. The Dems were originally aligned with her and the conservatives, "true" and otherwise, in Alaska hated her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:43 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

ANd by the way, you have a stupid hat. So you're wrong.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:38 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EXCLUSIVE: Palin plans to stay in politics

Read those fucking comments. I just don't know what to say anymore...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:31 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Heh Orme...that's a marten hat (sable, if it was a Russian marten). I splurged and bought it several years ago...for several hundred bucks. I wear that to winter functions where lots of my fellow Dems will be in attendance so that they are clear what I think of their donations to PETA.

That was the only argument I got into at the Democratic National Convention. Someone assumed that as a Democrat from Alaska, I was against hunting and fishing. Yeah, right...

Back to Palin...a number of folks up here are trying to figure out what to do. It really looks like the spin wars are turning in her favor because we have a chicken-shit, lazy-ass Legislature. I'm working on a series of posts showing how the blatant lying the "Palin Team" is doing about her resignation, the money they claim they've spent on ethics complaints and records requests and what the ethics complaints were about in the first place completely demonstrates her TOTAL lack of ethical behavior.

The media just wants wardrobe wars and cat fights...not issues. They also like to put vogue models types on T.V., not plus-size bloggers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:46 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Not sure there is much you can do, which is exactly why she left office. Now that she's "out", I have to imagine most of the noise is going to simmer down... of course unless her ego does't allow that to happen (which appears to be the case).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Celticdiva, the best approach is to ignore her. Treat her as if she didn't matter and she will start to go away. Palin is flying the "the liberal media/bloggers are against me" flag so anything that is done against her, be it true or not, will get that response from Team Palin.

Ignore her, treat her as if she is washed up and has zero political life and she will soon lose what "power" she thought she had.

The more she is talked about and "attacked" the more power she feels she has.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:09 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I disagree. The more she is held in the limelight, the more ridiculous the Republicans as a whole look for having ever given her a chance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:30 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
To who? The people who don't vote for them anyway? :p

Eventually the negative press will ebb, well before any potential campaign run-up. By the time it matters it will be old (and boring) news, and no one will have forgotten about her. It's a mistake to keep pressing, especially if the accusations go nowhere. It can be argued that (Democrat) tactic is what won Bush his second term.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Sarissa wrote:
To who? The people who don't vote for them anyway?

Palin clearly appeals to a segment of conservative Republicans. She does not appeal to most anyone else. I'm an independent voter. I can't stand her, mostly because of her political views (or lack thereof) but also because she's a white trash idiot. I'm certainly not the only independent who feels this way. Polls clearly show that most independents dislike her.

She will never, ever be President. I doubt very much she'd even win the Republican primaries. While there are a percentage of hard-core believers out there, most Republicans aren't so stupid as to put a candidate out there that they can't get independent votes for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Palin certainly DOES appeal to people other than Republicans. Whether anyone likes it or not, lots of non-partisan women relate to her. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

As she turns into Paris Hilton 2, we can only hope she stops being taken seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Apparently "Renegade" is the new "Maverick", if the cover of the latest Time is any indication.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:13 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Palin certainly DOES appeal to people other than Republicans. Whether anyone likes it or not, lots of non-partisan women relate to her. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

I've not seen anything that remotely supports that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Then you haven't spoken with any middle-class, middle-aged women.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I should note that I expect that has faded, and will continue to fade as she has been exposed. But when she first hit the scene, she drummed up a lot of support. As she continues to prove herself to be clownshoes, the luster has certainly left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:12 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Well, unfortunately, with any "minority" person people of that minority are going to feel a connection to that person.

The flipside is that a lot of women I know really hate Palin because they don't like all the stereotypes that she embodies. If guys were unsure if women really were cutesy, ditzy creatures that winked and said "You betcha!" in political debates and ultimately seemed entirely inept at anything other than looking pretty, now they REALLY think it and to a lot of women that's disgusting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I don't know any women who like Palin. I'm sure some people I know do...but I've only heard how much they hate her. I *really* didn't want her to be the first female VP, because it was embarassing. There are many female politicians whom I do not agree with...but I can respect.

Palin is not someone I can respect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Palin will not go quietly into the night

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

I've not seen anything that remotely supports that.
Ditto. Haven't seen any data. Haven't met a single one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:52 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

All I have is anecdotal data, so I'm not going to get too worked up arguing it.

But, the fact is she helped draw the election a whole lot closer (in the beginning). I will agree that her support has faded as she became a Paris Hilton clone.

I imagine people would concede that more than simple, die-hard Republicans supported her. Maybe not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:02 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

But, the fact is she helped draw the election a whole lot closer (in the beginning).

I don't know what you mean by "in the beginning." Your initial arguments are couched in terms of present-day. Which are you arguing: that she did have a lot of middle-class, middle-aged women as supporters, or that she does have a lot of middle-class, middle-aged women as supporters?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

But, the fact is she helped draw the election a whole lot closer (in the beginning). I will agree that her support has faded as she became a Paris Hilton clone.
Choosing Palin helped to endear John McCain to the Republican base. And I'll agree that your point may have been right at that time, when all people knew about her was the speech she gave at the convention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:28 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Palin appeals to single-issue pro-life/anti-abortion women.

It also doesn't hurt if a) they believe Obama's birth certificate is falsified and b) all us liberal blogger types are paid by Soros or Axlerod.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:06 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

You forgot that c) Obama is secretly a Muslim or d) that he's the Antichrist.

Yes, there are people who genuinely think he's the Antichrist (even though Christian dogma states that the Antichrist will be Jewish).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

She does have present day supporters.

Look, I have anecdotal evidence and that's it. I am sure support has waned, but there are still people who like her who are not bible beating Republicans.

I find it a bit astonishing that none of you know any "non-partisans" that like her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Look, I have anecdotal evidence and that's it. I am sure support has waned, but there are still people who like her who are not bible beating Republicans.

I find it a bit astonishing that none of you know any "non-partisans" that like her.

Not a single one. And trust me, I'm asking around. The only people I've talked to who genuinely seem to like her are in the conservative Christian crowd.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:55 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer

Not a single one. And trust me, I'm asking around. The only people I've talked to who genuinely seem to like her are in the conservative Christian crowd.

Yeah I watched some vids a few months back and she's got the super christians hook, line and sinker. "I am voting for Sarah Palin because I can sense the spirit of Jesus Christ our Savior in her"...........Meh.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I don't know anyone who would ADMIT to it, but I'm cynical enough that there are some women out there who will vote for her because they feel it is their duty to support a woman. It's not rational, but people seldom are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:22 AM 

Yea, I can picture a certain demographic that would find her appealing. Especially among the Nobama Mamas that declared they would vote for Hillary at all costs. Anyone remember that video of the one crazy older woman at a rally(or some kind of event, can't remember) who burst into tears about the fact that it looked like Hillary was losing? Yea, they exist for sure. I'm not sure that Palin's female base is exactly enormous, but to suggest that it's not there I think is to ignore a bit of reality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:22 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I begin to think that Palin's "fan base" is one of those urban legends.

"Well, a friend of a friend of a friend said he saw it....."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

You do know the meaning of anecdotal... right :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I think Palin is another Dean. So much hype, no truth or force behind it at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:32 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Rugen, as to who they excite within their party, you've got a good point.

But I think that's where the comparison ends. Although, if they want to make Palin head of the RNC... lmao

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:15 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Would she be any worse than the current guy?

She might steal vacations and take kick-backs, but at least she wouldn't get in public feuds with Rush Limbaugh. Well... she might get into a public feud with her baby's baby daddy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

No, please quote the definition for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Would she be any worse than the current guy?

She might steal vacations and take kick-backs, but at least she wouldn't get in public feuds with Rush Limbaugh. Well... she might get into a public feud with her baby's baby daddy.

Someone needs to tell Limbaugh to shut the fuck up. Steele thought he'd be the one, and it turned out he wasn't nearly popular or powerful enough to do it. So while it bit him in the ass, I actually have a lot more respect for him making the attempt in the first place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

No, please quote the definition for me.

Definition:
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
"Well, a friend of a friend of a friend said he saw it....."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Well done!

Were you just saying that for fun, or did you have some disagreement with something I said?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

If you stop by the blog today, you'll read a lawyer's analysis of Palin's "Legal Defense Fund."

http://divasblueoasis.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:33 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:

I haven't met any either. The only people that seem to like her are the ultra-conservatives - and man, they LOVE her.

I think she will do very well on FOX news channel or talk radio.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Palin's farewell speech...word for word, read by William Shatner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOC7WrPA1bA

Comedy Gold

Offline Profile