It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iran in progress
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

So, there's a big stink about the new election. Some people seem to think that it was rigged. There are protests, cell and internet shut down. BBC told to get the fuck out, NBC had their shit confiscated. Twitter seems to be the biggest source of information coming from Iran right now.

So far, the only site I can find with the most updated information is Daily Dish by Andrew Sullivan.
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Iran in progress
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:58 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I haven't been able to determine if much is happening outside Tehran.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:52 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Yeah, Sullivan is getting hammered traffic wise because he seems to be the only person actually talking about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I found a legitimate use for twitter. I made an account to follow some Iranians posting from inside, they got a rally going on right now.

Some snippets

Quote:
persiankiwi their is civil unrest in streets. receiving news of street battles accross tehran. #Iranelection

persiankiwi we are accessing twitter from open proxies. they are closing them as fast as we can find them. #Iranelection

persiankiwi the march has started. tens of thousands in streets. #Iranelection

persiankiwi ADVICE - carry photos of imam khomeini. they cannot shoot at us with these. #Iranelection

persiankiwi am being told that anyone using public phones in streets is being beaten. they are trying to stopus. #Iranelection

persiankiwi people pouring into alleyways. running everywhere. can hear people on rooftops. #Iranelection

Who'd have thought I'd ever give a shit about Iran?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Yeah, I've been sorta glued to what I can find.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:39 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

and still total silence from our networks:

Quote:
Today, as global geopolitics is shaken to its core by events in Iran, I turned on cable news this morning, and saw endless ads for a Larry King Jonas Brothers “interview”, Morning Joe yukking it up discussing Kuwaiti massage therapists, a video of a tomato throwing contest on CNN, talk radio blowhard Bill Bennett…and occasionally a phone call from Christiane Amanpour in Tehran. I can’t even bring myself to turn on the network morning programs, I might vomit.

http://bloggerinterrupted.com/2009/06/t ... il-on-iran

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:40 AM 

Would Moussavi end Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:25 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
That's assuming that Iran is after nuclear weapons to begin with, which is not a certainty considering that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa saying that it was forbidden under Islam back in '05.

Either way though, Moussavi would not have ended their enrichment process. And to be honest, they shouldn't. Regardless of the fact that I enjoy the thought of Iran having nuclear capability about as much as I would enjoy having my fingers smashed with a hammer, they have every right to pursue nuclear technology.

It's rather off-putting that we're cool with Israel having nukes even though they've never signed the NPT, but we're scared to death of Iran having them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Odd, I've been seeing CNN covering this news story. Haven't really looked at the others this weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 AM 

Devyn wrote:
That's assuming that Iran is after nuclear weapons to begin with, which is not a certainty considering that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa saying that it was forbidden under Islam back in '05.

Either way though, Moussavi would not have ended their enrichment process. And to be honest, they shouldn't. Regardless of the fact that I enjoy the thought of Iran having nuclear capability about as much as I would enjoy having my fingers smashed with a hammer, they have every right to pursue nuclear technology.

It's rather off-putting that we're cool with Israel having nukes even though they've never signed the NPT, but we're scared to death of Iran having them.
I could maybe go with you on your first point. After all, in absence of hard evidence, you have to go with what you believe. I happen to believe that they will, without hesitation, just as North Korea did.

As for your last point - you really think it's wrong for people to be "scared to death" for Iran to have nuclear weapons?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Wrong, no. Irrational, yeah. There is a reason that no one has ever attacked another nation with a nuclear weapon after the U.S. did. Everyone knows the damage that is caused by the weapon itself, and everyone knows that any nation that launches a nuclear attack against another would be utterly destroyed.

Unless we find reason to believe that Iran is willing to sacrifice its own existence to ensure that Israel is eliminated, there's really not much cause for concern militarily.

My only hope is that if Iran *were* to acquire those weapons, we would provide them with the necessary safeguarding technologies just as we are with Russia, and as we should with N. Korea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 AM 

This is an interesting article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01757.html

It reflects data that showed Ahmadinejad with a huge lead just a few weeks ago. The election may or may not be legitimate. I think the article is premature for a few reasons:

1) It was before Obama's speech.
2) It was before the Lebanese elections, which saw a more moderate group elected.
3) The median age of Iran is 27, and I would think this group could be the most predictable and thus swing wildly one way or the other.

The things that concern me about this election:

1) Khamenei is the real power. Will electing this man change anything?
2) Mousavi is not exactly mr Hopenchange. He served as prime minister, supported the 1979 revolution, supported the hostage situation and supported the fatwah against Salman Rushdie. Here's more background on this issue: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/ ... index.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Yeah, Mousavi is certainly not inclined to become the new best friend of the U.S., even if Khamenei would allow it. That said, he is at least for more normalized relations, and greater freedom for women.

I'm curious how the ongoing investigation is going to play out, whether there will actually be a real investigation or if Khamenei just gave a sham investigation a go in order to quiet the people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 AM 

Quote:
Wrong, no. Irrational, yeah. There is a reason that no one has ever attacked another nation with a nuclear weapon after the U.S. did. Everyone knows the damage that is caused by the weapon itself, and everyone knows that any nation that launches a nuclear attack against another would be utterly destroyed.

Unless we find reason to believe that Iran is willing to sacrifice its own existence to ensure that Israel is eliminated, there's really not much cause for concern militarily.

My only hope is that if Iran *were* to acquire those weapons, we would provide them with the necessary safeguarding technologies just as we are with Russia, and as we should with N. Korea.
That's just patently naive. First, you should include India and Pakistan in your list of countries that don't support the NPT. Quick trivia: name the one that is fighting an armed insurrection led by the Taliban and al Qaeda. I'll give you a hint: it was the same country whose leading nuclear weapons scientist sold the secrets to other countries.

Second, you have WAY too much faith in MAD. Using your logic, there's no reason why every country on earth shouldn't have nuclear weapons. I mean, every nation is led by a set or rational, predictable leaders, right?

We're talking about a country that just had a sham election, is brutally putting down an uprising against it, and whose figurehead leader doesnt' recognize Israel's right to exist OR the holocaust.

There are many ways to use nuclear weapons against someone. It doesn't all involve ICBMs with early warning systems in place to detect them. MAD only works if you know who used the weapon, and with more and more extremist countries developing them, that may not be the case.

Third, you do realize that of the 9 countries with declared nuclear weapons, only 5 have signed it, right? What good is the NPT, anyway? North Korea signed it - then withdrew in 2003.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I apologize, I guess I should have spelled out the fact that I'm fully aware that there are nations other than Israel that have nuclear weapons and that I was using them as an example beings they are the only nation in the region who we routinely kiss the ass of until recently.

You overestimate my respect for MAD, and underestimate MAD itself. In order for MAD to work, a leader does not need to be rational or predictable, they just need to want to continue having a nation to lead. Thus far, it has worked flawlessly and I expect it will continue to work as a deterrence for nations.

For independent groups who may try to acquire nuclear weapons, obviously MAD is ineffective. That is why we have physical safeguards and failsafes, and why it is so important that as soon as a nation develops the ability to manufacture nuclear weapons that we share our methods of safeguarding them. They're rather foolproof and almost impossible to counter.

What does Iran's reaction to the election have to do with this? Are you trying to say that engaging in potentially rigged elections and beating protesters is indicative of the fact that they'll nuke a neighbor?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:57 AM 

Devyn wrote:
You overestimate my respect for MAD, and underestimate MAD itself. In order for MAD to work, a leader does not need to be rational or predictable, they just need to want to continue having a nation to lead. Thus far, it has worked flawlessly and I expect it will continue to work as a deterrence for nations.
Once acquired, they will never be given up. Your opinion of MAD has to hold up for every nation with nukes, through every regime change and period of instability. Forever. Even if these bulletproof "safeguards" are in place, are you that confident they can never be penetrated? All it takes is one incident for MAD to be irrelevant.

Quote:
What does Iran's reaction to the election have to do with this? Are you trying to say that engaging in potentially rigged elections and beating protesters is indicative of the fact that they'll nuke a neighbor?
It's an indication of instability. Instability IS an indication that they could nuke a neighbor.. or nuke themselves. That's the thing with your theory. Systems don't hold up well under regime changes, revolutions and insurrections.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Never? No. But my stance doesn't change because of it.

We still have no serious indication that Iran is actually attempting to develop nuclear weapons. Even if they are, they have every right to do so and we have no right to forcefully stop them. We have no indication that Iran would risk detonating a nuclear weapon against another nation even if they were to acquire one.

Yes there's a chance that everything could go wrong and we could be attacked with a nuclear device, and that's the risk the world decided to take when it developed the technology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:23 PM 

Best photo gallery I've seen so far:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/0 ... ction.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
joxur wrote:
Best photo gallery I've seen so far:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/0 ... ction.html

Damn, that's savage.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 PM 

So I'm curious to know what you guys think the US administration, and specifically Obama himself, should do or say.

I've seen everything from condemnations that he should do more, much more, as a huge public symbol... to opinions that us doing anything significant )even a signature speech) would just interfere and add legitimacy to Iran's demagoguery that the US is teh debil. I really can't quite make up my mind, myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I think he should just keep quiet for now. Appearance of outside interference, especially from us, will only rouse the rabble and make things worse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I can't stop looking at the expressions of the people's faces.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:19 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
So I'm curious to know what you guys think the US administration, and specifically Obama himself, should do or say.

Honestly, I'll probably get crucified for saying this...but I think Obama's already had his effect in this event. I do not think we would have seen what we are seeing right now if Obama had not won in the states.

That being said, he did exactly what I think he should have. Condemn attacks on peaceful protesters and a call to the people, leaders and civilians alike, to investigate their elections and persue democracy.

I think it was Sullivan's blog that pointed out (and I agree with) that any attempt to side with the protesters will simply be turned into "OMG, look, the americans have plotted this all to overthrow us" and actually undermine what these brave souls are doing. This isn't about us. At all. Our own elections and current president may have sparked hope, but that is about where it ends with us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:59 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I agree that it is the right thing to condemn the attacks on the protesters and to call for an investigation. (Yes, I am saying that Obama is doing something correct)

Iran is a very touchy subject. Anything that looks like the US wants the people will not want.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
krby71 wrote:
I agree that it is the right thing to condemn the attacks on the protesters and to call for an investigation. (Yes, I am saying that Obama is doing something correct)

Iran is a very touchy subject. Anything that looks like the US wants the people will not want.

Yeah. :( I think we would do so much more harm there than good, but my god...my heart goes out to the protesters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:33 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Q Mr. President, on Iran, does the disputed election results affect -- there's been violence in the street -- in any way change your willingness to meet with Mr. Ahmadinejad without preconditions? And also, do you have anything to say, any message to send to people who are on the streets protesting, who believe their votes were stolen and who are being attacked violently?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Obviously all of us have been watching the news from Iran. And I want to start off by being very clear that it is up to Iranians to make decisions about who Iran's leaders will be; that we respect Iranian sovereignty and want to avoid the United States being the issue inside of Iran, which sometimes the United States can be a handy political football -- or discussions with the United States.

Having said all that, I am deeply troubled by the violence that I've been seeing on television. I think that the democratic process -- free speech, the ability of people to peacefully dissent -- all those are universal values and need to be respected. And whenever I see violence perpetrated on people who are peacefully dissenting, and whenever the American people see that, I think they're, rightfully, troubled.

My understanding is, is that the Iranian government says that they are going to look into irregularities that have taken place. We weren’t on the ground, we did not have observers there, we did not have international observers on hand, so I can't state definitively one way or another what happened with respect to the election. But what I can say is that there appears to be a sense on the part of people who were so hopeful and so engaged and so committed to democracy who now feel betrayed. And I think it's important that, moving forward, whatever investigations take place are done in a way that is not resulting in bloodshed and is not resulting in people being stifled in expressing their views.

Now, with respect to the United States and our interactions with Iran, I've always believed that as odious as I consider some of President Ahmadinejad's statements, as deep as the differences that exist between the United States and Iran on a range of core issues, that the use of tough, hard-headed diplomacy -- diplomacy with no illusions about Iran and the nature of the differences between our two countries -- is critical when it comes to pursuing a core set of our national security interests, specifically, making sure that we are not seeing a nuclear arms race in the Middle East triggered by Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon; making sure that Iran is not exporting terrorist activity. Those are core interests not just to the United States but I think to a peaceful world in general.

We will continue to pursue a tough, direct dialogue between our two countries, and we'll see where it takes us. But even as we do so, I think it would be wrong for me to be silent about what we've seen on the television over the last few days. And what I would say to those people who put so much hope and energy and optimism into the political process, I would say to them that the world is watching and inspired by their participation, regardless of what the ultimate outcome of the election was. And they should know that the world is watching.

And particularly to the youth of Iran, I want them to know that we in the United States do not want to make any decisions for the Iranians, but we do believe that the Iranian people and their voices should be heard and respected.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:33 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Agreed. Ever since the Carter administration we've had cause to tread lightly with Iran's electoral process.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:45 AM 

Back to the nuke discussion. Devyn, this article is a bit timely. He does a good job pointing out why MAD may not work with a rogue state like Iran, or a nation with significant instability. How do we know who detonated a nuke?

http://www.usnews.com/articles/science/ ... euths.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:57 AM 

You know what's interesting about the pics coming out of Iran?

Not a single one has a bunch of people burning an American flag. That's got to mean something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:57 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Most of the younger generation in Iran actually have favorable opinions of America.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I find it sad that there are still places in the world that descend so quickly to such barbaric states over things.

Then again, maybe it's good for people to know that if they try to fuck with other people they're liable to get a club in the face. There's none of that in the US, you swindle people out of billions and we offer you a stimulus package and a firmly packed golden parachute.

Dunno. Hard to say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:16 PM 

Quote:
Most of the younger generation in Iran actually have favorable opinions of America.
I find that very hard to believe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
joxur wrote:
Quote:
I find that very hard to believe.

Do some research, for fuck's sake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 PM 

Ok!

Poll: Few Iranians see US favorably, despite Obama
- http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD98MJF002
- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090608/ap_ ... _iran_poll

The median age in Iran is 26.4 years old.

I found that by googling "how do your iranians view the us" without the quotes in the search. Your response?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:20 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Yeah, ok. See that's coming from the TFT Iran survey. You can read the whole thing here:
http://www.terrorfreetomorrow.org/upima ... 200609.pdf

1) it's a survey of 1001 people in Iran.
2) median age of Iran doesn't really matter for this survey; here's the break down of ages in the survey:
18-24 -- 25%
25-34 -- 27%
35-44 -- 19%
45-54 -- 13%
55+ -- 15%

3) Those numbers reflect their opinion of the United States as a country. How they view America as people is different:
Very favorable -- 17.8
Somewhat favorable -- 30.5
Somewhat unfavorable -- 7.1
Very unfavorable -- 13.1
Refused -- 2.1
Don't know -- 29.5

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:25 PM 

Thanks Bz. I didn't know, but now I do. Interesting survey - they view the US very unfavorably, view Hezbollah favorably and think the US is up there with Israel as a threat to Iranians, yet seem to like Americans.

As an aside, there were a bunch of Iranian Americans protesting in Atlanta when I was leaving work today. I wish I had noticed them earlier, I would have liked to see what the signs said they were holding up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Devyn wrote:

They would be martyrs for the "radical" Muslim cause, I think that would be enough; If you look at the history of the "radical" Muslim doing suicide bombing this would not be that much different than that.

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:07 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Flaw, people in charge never don the bombs themselves. They always tell others what a glorious deed they're doing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:32 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

One cool thing: Anonymous, the group that protests against scientology set up a site and is provided proxies for the Iranian people and giving them information on how to hide their tracks:

http://iran.whyweprotest.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:18 PM 

Quote:
Flaw, people in charge never don the bombs themselves. They always tell others what a glorious deed they're doing.

Sounds an awful lot like any number of countries who have civilian military leadership sending kids off to war =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:25 PM 
I schooled the old school.

oh careful, that's a blasphemous, pacifist type of argument! You are going to be labeled unpatriotic now.

"But, but, but, it's different when we send troops out! God is on our side!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
Quote:
One cool thing: Anonymous, the group that protests against scientology set up a site and is provided proxies for the Iranian people and giving them information on how to hide their tracks:

Damn child molesters helping the enemy!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:25 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Bupas wrote:
Quote:

Damn child molesters helping the enemy!

When script kiddies grow up. Awww. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Can't wait until the X-Box live krew grows up and becomes activists. Can you see one of those fucks answering the 3 A.M. phone in the white house? It's going to be smack talk and mom insults.

That's right Ahmadinejad, Your momma's so fat that when she ran away, they had to use all four sides of the milk carton. Then I fucked her! LOL!!!1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
The Pirate Bay is also doing something similar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:40 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Fark has an ongoing thread. And Twitter has a number of reliable, and countless government unreliable, tweeters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Venen wrote:
Quote:

Sounds an awful lot like any number of countries who have civilian military leadership sending kids off to war =p

Because sending a professional soldier to war is the same as strapping a bomb to some kid's chest and sending him to a crowded marketplace.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:58 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/ ... index.html

So, apparently a survey of previous census information and elections have essentially proven that the current vote results are impossible. A couple of areas had a voter turnout of over 100%, and in a lot of areas there were significant deviations from trends established in the past 3 elections. It seems more and more clear that there was at least some manipulation of the election results.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 AM 

Iran's Web Spying Aided By Western Technology
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562668777335653.html

Quote:
The Iranian regime has developed, with the assistance of European telecommunications companies, one of the world's most sophisticated mechanisms for controlling and censoring the Internet, allowing it to examine the content of individual online communications on a massive scale.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:25 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Because sending a professional soldier to war is the same as strapping a bomb to some kid's chest and sending him to a crowded marketplace.

The details might be different, but the comparison is valid on the level at which it was presented. (That being, people in charge telling other people what a glorious thing they're doing when they send them off to fight.)

Really, doesn't it ever grate you just a little when some old rich politician who has never been within 1000 miles of a battle gets on TV and talks about how awesome it is that we just sent a bunch of 19 year olds off to possibly get blown up?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Lanys-Twitter: Sitting here refreshing the page waiting for some dumb fuck to say, "ZOMG U COMPAREDED AMERIKAN SOLDERZ TO TERRIROIZTS!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Really, doesn't it ever grate you just a little when some old rich politician who has never been within 1000 miles of a battle gets on TV and talks about how awesome it is that we just sent a bunch of 19 year olds off to possibly get blown up?

Oh, yeah, and it happens so often. I mean, I can't count the number of times I've seen a politician excited about the prospect of our service members dying in combat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:16 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Now you're just being blind or obtuse to stubbornly stick to your original stance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Hey, you're the one exaggerating your point. If you want to make a statement that can't be mocked with sarcasm, then stop engaging in hyperbole.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:04 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

How was I exaggerating? It's reality, sir. Don't sit there and act like you've never seen politicians, pundits, people, whatever acting like it's so super that we send kids off to get blown up. (Of course, they don't say it that way, but it's the same idea.)

Sure, it's a neccessity of sorts...it'd be harder to get people to do it if we didn't exalt the "virtues" of going off to war. But it's still grating.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:07 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
How was I exaggerating? It's reality, sir. Don't sit there and act like you've never seen politicians, pundits, people, whatever acting like it's so super that we send kids off to get blown up. (Of course, they don't say it that way, but it's the same idea.)

So, no one ever actually says that, but because you'd like to interpret their words in that manner, you've decided that's what they really meant. Got it.
Quote:
Sure, it's a neccessity of sorts...it'd be harder to get people to do it if we didn't exalt the "virtues" of going off to war. But it's still grating.

You're confusing the lauding of the virtues of our men and women fighting on our behalf and lauding the act of war itself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:19 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yep. Stubborn.

So you'll still maintain that sending kids off to fight, "In the name of God and country." is NOTHING AT ALL similar in ANY WAY to sending kids off to fight, "In the name of Allah and (something)."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I'm maintaining that sending professional soldiers off to combat is worlds apart from sending civilians with bombs strapped to their chests to murder other civilians and in the process kill themselves.

If you don't see a difference, then you're the one being stubborn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 PM 

But in the sense and context of this thread, they are similar.

You do realize that both your statement and theirs are not mutually exclusive, right? I mean, do you really think that Venen and Bovinity think they are "exactly the same" as you keep changing their argument to mean?

I think Bovinity's right. You are trying to be deliberately stubborn to stick to your point, no matter the cost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:04 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Well, if you want me to admit that there is a similarity, no matter how remote, I'm willing to stipulate that if you're willing to stipulate that stabbing a child to death in their sleep is similar to shooting and killing an armed burglar.

Offline Profile