It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Iran in progress
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Fribur wrote:
Wow, you both managed to insult me at the same time from opposite sides of the argument. Good work!

Oh, stop :P I was just giving you a light nudge, chief. 100% in good fun =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:54 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I wasn't hurt... I honestly was amused that you two both found a way to put me down while being on opposite sides of the fence, all the while I've been generally out of the conversation :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Old habits die hard fribs, but you know I have no malice. If I were gay I'd totally do you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Too many people feel "entitled" to things in this country. Entitled to a job. Entitled to a paycheck. Entitled to luxury items. Even entitled to comfortable living.

The sense of entitlement ingrained into the American psyche is disgusting. It's a major part of our current problems, and to turn this country around we're going to have to correct some beliefs.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:44 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

See, that's all well and good to say Van, but what's your solution? What's your "better option" to people who feel entitled to a job? What's your alternative to people not getting jobs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It's also pretty interesting to hear people complaining so venomously about a system that has apparently treated them pretty damn well. Just sounds like a lot of the classic oldtimer, "Damn kids, they oughta have to do what I did!" rhetoric from every generation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:21 PM 

The "system" as you reference it hasn't treated me kindly at all.

Don't make assumptions about people you barely know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:32 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
See, that's all well and good to say Van, but what's your solution? What's your "better option" to people who feel entitled to a job? What's your alternative to people not getting jobs?

So what is your statement that people are entitled to everything????? The solution is simple people need to pull there heads out of there ass and work for what they need\want some will fail some will succeed..

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:35 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Really? Where do you think you stand in the overall % of the world?

Yeah, don't sit there as an American citizen with a job, a home, medical care, clean water, food, etc etc and then go on about how poorly it all has treated you and carrying the implication that "other people" have it so good.

If anything, that attitude is just as disgusting as the "full entitlement" one.

Even I count myself as damn lucky and am thankful for everything the country and "system" has done for me. And I had the privilege of living a childhood that was closer to a third world country than the "average" American.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:40 PM 

I never said I wasn't grateful for the things my country has given me.

I wasn't given everything on a silver platter, and I don't expect to be given anything on a silver platter.

I don't think *anyone* should expect anything on a silver platter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:42 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yay, we've come to an agreement!

I agree that some people are too entitlement-driven. I'm with you on that. I just don't know what your solution would be...if we teach people they're not entitled to jobs, what do we do with them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:45 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Well, honestly, they're not entitled to jobs. They're entitled to a fair consideration when applying for jobs (no discrimination) but they can't (and I admit many do) just sit there and whine that no one is handing them a job they want.

I know we're hurting job-wise in the country at the moment, but you can't deny there are a lot of people out there who pass over jobs they feel beneath them and then demand government assistance because they don't have a job.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:19 PM 

DEY TOOK OUR JERBS!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:21 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5155043011

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:15 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Fribur wrote:
But if it's a priviledge, then it can be taken away.

It already does, in some states felons lose the right to vote, even after they've served their time. Now, you may disagree with that, but that's the way it is currently. Under the 'Heinlein' system of earning that right, it wouldn't be taken away except under circumstances by which the person has withdrawn from that society. What circumstances would that be? Where people choose to renounce membership and go elsewhere, or when people take actions which endanger that society such that the society must withdraw itself from them (so we're talking traitors and people who commit criminal acts who refuse to reform, and then there's a whole other area of what is criminal...which under Heinlein's proposed utopia...it's pretty much only that which harms someone else. Otherwise, go to it. But for the sake of ease here just imagine the only way it's taken away under what we're talking about is if the person voluntarily renounces it or commits such atrocities that society withdraws from them (life imprisonment, traitors, etc.)

Sarrisa says:
Quote:
A more apt question would be what if some people are unable to access the means to earn their vote. If a person, for instance, had to assume responsibility for their family at a young age they may not have opportunity to earn a vote until much later in life.

Really good point. In Heinlein's scenario I believe there would be two answers. First, if the person assumes responsibility for siblings they could then become 'franchised' later. There's no age limit on when one can do this. However if someone signs up and quits...they can never do it again they're done. There's reasonable exceptions made, in the event that one's siblings became orphans, yadda yadda, leave would be granted until they were of term. If one instead got someone pregnant at a young age, and instead of doing it immediately following high school, instead had to go to work...then that would be their choice. They're not prohibited from doing it at any other time. Just as if someone got a scholarship they might choose that instead, and then oops they got a wonderful job offer. Those are choices people make. Look at how many people vote now. I suspect we'd have more voting if something like this were implemented. But I may be overly optimistic. :)

Bzalthek sez:
Quote:
Ok, first I am with you on the working teen taxation/voting thing. I think if a person is mature enough to hold a job that the government will tax their earnings, they are also mature enough to vote.
I wasn't very mature at 13. I thought I was. Perhaps (and I'm biased, I may be wrong) I was more mature in some ways than my cohorts...maaaybe. But did I really understand enough to know what the fuck I'd be voting on? No. Honestly I wouldn't have, especially with propositions and measures...I have to research NOW to have an understanding of them before I vote on them...I wouldn't have done so at 13. Assuming I would, I still don't know how much of the issues I could have grasped, through sheer lack of life experience if nothing else. Still...I was taxed without representation. What about child actors? My cousin's son was in a movie as an infant. As an infant (and I mean like...6 mos old, maybe younger) he earned money. Now I don't know all the nitty gritty like what he made or anything, but the law requires a portion of it to be placed in trust for him (parents as agents/managers only can take so much, so much can be used for his care/schooling whatever. I'm sure it wasn't THAT much money). But my point is...he made money. He filed taxes (well his parents did he couldn't even sign his name). I'm sure you wouldn't advocate a baby voting. ;) Assuming they even could lol. Now that's an ...uncommon exception, because acting isn't like most other labor jobs, but still. It's a poor measuring stick for many reasons. Age is too, but nothing is perfect.

Quote:
As for your mother in law, is there some reason she didn't become naturalized? A legal alien resident is not allowed to vote, but after a certain amount of time (5 years, 3 if married to a citizen IIRC) she should have been able to become a naturalized citizen and thus able to vote.

Yes, she had reasons. But the point is that she isn't automatically granted citizenship despite blah blah blah blah all the shit I said before. And I'm not sure what the laws were back when she first came here, but yeah I'm sure it was something similar to what you're saying. She was eligible to *apply*. My point being that it's granted with no merit to anyone who can manage to be born here, and people who have merit aren't extended it gratis.

<More later as there were a couple of other things I wanted to hit, but I have to run hehe. Good discussion tho! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I should have put a little more thought in the teens voting thing. Independence would probably also be a factor. As I understand it, according to the law, children are not seen as complete persons, but more like an extension of the parents. They do not become a complete person until they reach their majority, which is arbitrarily set at 18. If a child is independent of their parents (or any other guardian), and being taxed on their wages, then being able to survive in the world on their own is probably indicative of a maturity high enough that should they wish to vote, they should be able to. At least, they show a maturity higher than those still living with their parents when they turn 18 (myself included.)

And for your mother in law, as you said she was eligible to apply, and yet she chose not to. I don't think you can fault a system for her own choice. In my mind the government exists only through the sufferance of the people. As the government claims dominance over a specified landmass, it is the burden of the government to provide the same rights and privileges of those born there. admittedly that does give us the problem of "anchor babies" from illegal immigrants, which is an issue I am of mixed feelings about.

It reminds me of the "innocent until proven guilty" motto. Requiring a loyalty test of it's population is akin to presuming them disloyal until proven otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:14 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

It isn't about merit. It's about entitlement of not being left completely impotent in the way you are governed. The age limit for natural born citizens and the time required for naturalization of immigrants allows for individuals to familiarize themselves with the issues and how things work.

Anything else I might have to say on the subject would be extrapolation of the first paragraph or highlighting the aspects of the opposing view I agree with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:10 PM 

Well there you go. Gibbs says Ahmadinejad is the elected leader of Iran.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:33 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I don't think that's quite as damning as you might think it is though. They didn't say he was the legitimate leader, which was what was asked. He said there is and was debate in Iran on this issue, and when pressed, that he is the 'elected leader', which the election claims he was. And the US has to watch their position on this so as to not hurt Iranians protesting, plus we really have enough other shit going on.

I don't know what else he could have said that would have CLEARLY not embraced the Iranian president (we're sending no one as well to attend), while not allowing them [Iranian govt.] to pretend the election fight is fueled by American interests/CIA/sekrit jews/whatever.

What do you think their response should be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Other than saying nothing at all, or we'll wait and see, not much. It will be taken as an endorsement though. Hard to see how it wouldn't, as the election was the thing in dispute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
"Let me correct a little bit of what I said yesterday. I denoted that Mr. Ahmadinejad was the elected leader of Iran. I would say that's not for me to pass judgment on," Gibbs told reporters aboard Air Force One.

"He's been inaugurated. That's a fact. Whether any election was fair, obviously the Iranian people still have questions about that, and we'll let them decide about that."

And away we go!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:21 PM 

Quote:
I don't think that's quite as damning as you might think it is though. They didn't say he was the legitimate leader, which was what was asked. He said there is and was debate in Iran on this issue, and when pressed, that he is the 'elected leader', which the election claims he was. And the US has to watch their position on this so as to not hurt Iranians protesting, plus we really have enough other shit going on.

I don't know what else he could have said that would have CLEARLY not embraced the Iranian president (we're sending no one as well to attend), while not allowing them [Iranian govt.] to pretend the election fight is fueled by American interests/CIA/sekrit jews/whatever.

What do you think their response should be?
If the admin stance is to not really take sides either way, so as not to be portrayed as the great satan, then they should not take sides. Whether the statement is factually correct is debatable, as I'm sure we could have a long debate about whether illegitimate elections are still elections. As far as I'm concerned, if the elections were rigged - then you can't recognize the guy doing the rigging as the "elected leader of Iran".

I for one think that the only way the middle east will change dramatically is if the people want it. It's the big reason the Iraq war was such a huge mistake. We lost the war for hearts and minds. If we're not going to overtly assist the people of Iran then we should minimally not be seen to endorse or confirm the results.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
It does us no good for our government to publicly question the legitimacy of Iran's elections. Especially when we're trying to establish some sort of reconciliation. You can't on one hand discount that Ahmadinejad is the president of Iran while extending the other in hopes of friendly discussion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:34 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I think the clarification is taking the middle ground though, or trying to. I don't really see what else they can do without hurting the protesters and US interests. =\

Sucks for the Iranians though, I can't even imagine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Sucky part is most Iranians probably won't see the clarification.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:18 PM 

I'm not sure that an average Iranian gets up every morning and says, "oh man, I wonder what Gibbs said about us today? MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT."

But hey whatever :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:36 PM 

The state controlled television stations most likely rebroadcast gibb's "confirmation of the election" and put a very biased spin on repeatedly every day, and didn't broadcast anything else.

This could have turned the opinion of the Iranian people against the US. If it did or not, I have no idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:44 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The US had been vocally supportive of their right to protest what may have been an unfair election. It's not like we're not trying to gain ground in negotiations with Iran in other areas or anything. Their government let that air because it played to their idea of Western interference.

If you want to take the leap that hearing something like that from a man who speaks for the President doesn't weaken our position among moderate Iranians go right on ahead. Otherwise it's a point for Ahmedinejad. :P

Offline Profile