It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
You really are a funny little creature, Jox. Tell you what, since you've got such a hard-on for me now, I'll send you some of my underwear. Let me know if you want boxers or briefs. Skidmarks are extra.

Seriously though, if you don't think the FBC has far too much control over the politics, legislation, and enforcement in Jacksonville, you either never truly lived in the city, or you had your head up your ass the entire time.

Guess which one I'm betting on?

I'm through here. You've exposed yourself for what you are, and my patience is exhausted. Go ahead and tally a victory in your Warriors for Christ handbook.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:37 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Hey, no problem Syuni. Hopefully you'll stop reinforcing generic stereotypes of fellow Christians! I don't have a hard-on for you, I just called you to the carpet for what you wrote. That's the great thing about it - I didn't judge you as a Christian, despite you doing that of me, I just judged you on what you wrote, on this thread, in context. What more can a man ask for than to be judged on his actual actions and not stereotypes?

I did enjoy the conspiracy theory stuff, though. First Baptist Church as the mob, gotta love it.

Have a nice day!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Sorry, Jox. The criticism you've levied is that threads devolve into anti-Christian threads. Blanket, across-the-board anti-Christian. Now that you've been called out on that, you try to change the topic to what level of generalizations is okay. Your ass is showing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:55 AM 

Quote:
Sorry, Jox. The criticism you've levied is that threads devolve into anti-Christian threads. Blanket, across-the-board anti-Christian. Now that you've been called out on that, you try to change the topic to what level of generalizations is okay. Your ass is showing.
Let me see if I understand, Bearne.

A post has to indicate, explicitly, that it is about ALL Christians for it to be anti-Christian? So if thread one damns bible belt Christians, and another thread damns Catholics, and the third damns Methodists... it would be wrong of me to declare that threads devolve into being anti-Christian?

Your logic is unbelievable. But, we all know you're not really discussing this with me, since you're ignoring points and blindly repeating your insults, just like you eventually do in every thread. Are you done with the thread now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:57 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Yes, it would be wrong, without any context as to *why*.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:00 AM 

And what would be the context in this case?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:05 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

For example, let's say the topic is the reinstatement of the rogue bishops associated with the Society of St Pious X, one of whom is a notorious Holocaust denier, and the impact that has on relations between the Vatican and Israel.

Or the topic is the treatment of pedophile priests.

Or the topic is the colusion of the Mormon Church and the Knights of Columbus to defeat Proposition 8.

None of those topics, in my mind, are "anti-Christian." Rather they would discussions of activities undertaken by bad actors misusing the name of God. But if I started a thread on any of those, I would be accussed of starting "another anti-Christian thread."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I don't know what the freaking context is in this case. The entire thread is ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 AM 

Ahh hell, I'll make it easy for you.

Quote:
In San Francisco, if you don't agree with everything Mr. Gayboy Likesitinthebutt says, then you're a close-minded hillbilly who is unworthy to even talk to him.
Is that an anti-gay post?

Quote:
In the ghetto, if you don't agree with everything Reggie McFro says, then you're a racist who is unworthy to even talk to him.

Is that an anti-black post?

There you go, I called to mind stereotypes of larger communities just like the "bible belt", and then a caricature/stereotype of someone in that community.

Your response?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It's hard to say without proper context. Could be taken either way, honestly. The speaker could be attacking all blacks/gays or attacking a particular sort of person they've had experience with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:16 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Seeing as I know plenty of gay guys in San Francisco who have that exact attitude, No. That's a pretty accurate description of a sub-section of the SF gay community.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:20 AM 

Quote:
Seeing as I know plenty of gay guys in San Francisco who have that exact attitude, No. That's a pretty accurate description of a sub-section of the SF gay community.
But I never said a sub-set of the San Fran gay community. I said the SF gay community. There was no language in the post about a sub-set of the bible belt. So, I guess you agree with me, then? What about my stereotyping of blacks in my example? You can't pick and choose, because although you have some personal experience with SF, you have none with Bible Belt or blacks, and the implication is the same. "This large group of people is bad."

Are you going to keep breaking down the stereotype until it's at a threshold that's comfortable for you?

I took umbrage to his post because I AM in the Bible Belt, and while there are bad apples, just like anywhere, I have had very positive experience in the Christian community here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

And I think we've all met and interacted with black / gay / Jewish / female / insert status people who tend to go out of their way to interpret every interaction through a lens of "how can I be offended?" Frankly, I would think that changing up that sentence would make you realize that the original post was about some Christians, rather than a blanket statement about all of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

"But I never said a sub-set of the San Fran gay community. I said the SF gay community."

No, Jox, you didn't. Go back and read the *exact* sentence you typed out. It isn't a blanket condemnation of the entire SF gay community. It just isn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:28 AM 

Quote:
And I think we've all met and interacted with black / gay / Jewish / female / insert status people who tend to go out of their way to interpret every interaction through a lens of "how can I be offended?" Frankly, I would think that changing up that sentence would make you realize that the original post was about some Christians, rather than a blanket statement about all of them.
I would think YOU would have a better concept of the danger of labeling an entire group of people under one umbrella, especially defined as broadly as the bible belt. Seriously. I would think you of all people would know better. That's why I am totally shocked that you could support such a huge double standard. If less people thought of gays as Syuni posted about Christians in the south, we'd be a lot further along the gay rights trail than we are. But you know, as well as I, that the "SF Gays" are demonized and branded in a way that turns people against gays. Just like the Bible Belt. It's used to stereotype southerners as small-minded hicks, and that's EXACTLY how it was used by Syuni.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 AM 

Quote:
No, Jox, you didn't. Go back and read the *exact* sentence you typed out. It isn't a blanket condemnation of the entire SF gay community. It just isn't.
Put yourself in someone else's shoes. What image does "San Francisco" and gay conjure? What image does "ghetto" and black conjure?

What image does Bible Belt and Christian conjure?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:37 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I guess we're at a "agree to disagree" spot, then. I don't read Syuni original post as the kind of blanket condemnation that you do and, for me, the rewrites you did just reinforce that it's a criticism of a specific human characteristic rather than a blanket statement. If I did read it the way you did, I'd likely agree with you.

For the record, I have lived both in the Bible Belt (TX for five years) and in minority-majority neighborhoods. The same human foibles exist in all of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
joxur wrote:
Quote:
Put yourself in someone else's shoes. What image does "San Francisco" and gay conjure? What image does "ghetto" and black conjure?

What image does Bible Belt and Christian conjure?

What image does "Bertha Betterthanyou" conjure? Does it conjure up images of all Christians in an area? Does it conjure up images of Christians at all, taken out of the context of the original post?

Compare it to the "names" you made up for your rebuttal post, and ask yourself if the same thing can be said, and ask yourself if what you've posted is comparable. I'll give you a hint right now: it's not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 AM 

A preachy, in your face, ignorant know-it-all?

What does it conjure for you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 AM 

As much as I disagree with Bov, the persecuted act is tiring. Rarely have I seen such poor reading comprehension when a person cannot understand the difference between generalizations and admitted anecdotal evidence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:20 AM 

Oh, Venen. They are not mutually exclusive, you know, right? You can use anecdotal evidence to do anything you want, even paint a broad generalization. Tarot does it all the time. Go read one of her novella's and give me a report on what you've learned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:58 AM 
I schooled the old school.

It's very classy-- hell very "Christian" of you to pull unsolicited bashes on someone else in the forums that hasn't even entered the conversation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Joxur just doesn't get that, by adhering to Christianity, he's holding himself to a certain standard of behavior. When he fails to meet that standard, it's not a big deal to anyone but him. Except when he constantly talks in public about how he's a Christian, in which case everyone holds him to that standard. When he fails to even try to live up to it, the measure of his worth is lessened not only in his own eyes, but in the eyes of everyone he keeps telling about his beliefs.

You can't constantly claim a moral code and then make no effort to live up to it. Even if your code is completely different from those around you, they'll still look poorly upon you violating it, especially if you claim it's important to you.

Joxur, shut up now and get out of the thread while you still have some measure of dignity left. At the rate you're going, I doubt anyone here really thinks of you as a very Christian person.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Unfortunately, Tyral, there's folks like Jox in the world to whom "Christianity" is nothing more than a social club that they get to claim membership to.

I'm not a big fan of religion to begin with (Big shock, I know) but people like Jox just make it even worse. At least I have a level of personal respect for people who try hard to follow the moral guidelines set down before them by their chosen religion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:45 PM 

It's a can't-win situation for me. I can let comments go that paint people like me in a negative light, or I can respond. If I don't respond, I'm a bad person in MY eyes. If I do respond, I'm a bad person in YOUR eyes.

But, all things considered, I'm not losing much sleep over what Fribur, Tyral and others think of my Christian-ness. Like I said, I'm not out to convert people who have an axe to grind. Rather than pander to you and pat you on the head, I'd rather just respond to your stereotypes with forthright honesty, from my point of view. I've done a pretty effective job outlining why painting all Bible Belt Christians in a negative light is just as bad as painting broad segments of gays, blacks or other groups in a negative light. Notice that none of you have a response to that, except Bearne.
Quote:
It's very classy-- hell very "Christian" of you to pull unsolicited bashes on someone else in the forums that hasn't even entered the conversation.
I don't think you really understand the irony in your post, Fribur. You just made a broad generalization. Good job :)

This is why I don't get into religious threads, and why I bowed out of the "Hell" thread very quickly once I realized that it was just there for people with an axe to grind, not about honest debate or discussion. I think what you guys are really upset about is someone (a fair number of us, actually) getting in the way of your routine Christian-bashing dogpile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I've done a pretty effective job outlining why painting all Bible Belt Christians in a negative light is just as bad as painting broad segments of gays, blacks or other groups in a negative light.

No. You didn't. Somehow you ignored the posts telling you that you didn't. Not sure how you did that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:42 PM 

Quote:
I don't think you really understand the irony in your post, Fribur. You just made a broad generalization. Good job

Yes, but that broad generalization is 100% correct. Show me a single sect of Christianity that believes the Bible is the Word of God, that believes that your unsolicited attack on Tarot was a good, Christian thing to do. Show me, and I'll concede your point.

Quote:
This is why I don't get into religious threads, and why I bowed out of the "Hell" thread very quickly once I realized that it was just there for people with an axe to grind, not about honest debate or discussion. I think what you guys are really upset about is someone (a fair number of us, actually) getting in the way of your routine Christian-bashing dogpile.

You really ought to be careful. While there are definitely some serious Christian haters on this board, the particular people you are complaining about in this thread are far more complex than you are maintaining. My own history on this subject is rather convoluted, and if you pay attention to threads like these you would see that about half the time at least I'm right on YOUR side. I get very tired of anti-Christian rhetoric here, and I've said so many times. Unfortunately for you, I also can't stand it when someone who calls themselves a devout Christian makes Christianity look bad by talking the way you sometimes do on these boards. You HELP them with your rhetoric, proving them correct.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Tarot wrote:

Tarot wins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Tarot, are you feeling OK? Your last two posts are an image and then a one-word reply.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:52 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
krby71 wrote:
Tarot, are you feeling OK? Your last two posts are an image and then a one-word reply.

Working.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I imagine tarot is tired of talking about the same 10 topics with the same 20 people for the last 10 years.

I have a "goddamn it, Worthy" and a "Neesha sucks balls" macro set up to autopost every two weeks for me now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:40 AM 

Regarding the original topic of this thread, here's another great example of how out of touch the GOP is.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... get-obama/

Quote:
The Republican National Committee Friday unearthed one of the most controversial political ads in American history to take aim at President Obama's decision to close the detention center in Guantanamo Bay.

Called "Daisy," The RNC's new 30-second Web ad uses footage of the now-infamous 1964 Lyndon Johnson commercial by the same name that showed a young girl picking off the pedals of a flower as a nuclear explosion is heard in the background.

That ad, which only ran once but was widely criticized as being extreme, ends with the image of a mushroom crowd and Johnson declaring, "We must either love each other, or we must die."

The New RNC ad splices the image of the girl with Obama's earlier declaration suggesting that closing Guantanamo Bay is "easy." This time the girl asks "To close it? To close it not?" as she picks off flower pedals.

It also shows Senate Democrats — including Majority Leader Harry Reid — appearing to take issue with proposals to relocate current Guantanamo detainees in the United States.

The new iteration, which forgoes the original's dramatic mushroom-cloud ending, comes days after RNC Chairman Michael Steele declared an end to the Obama administration's "honeymoon" and pledged more aggressive opposition from the GOP.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:45 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

joxur wrote:
Regarding the original topic of this thread, here's another great example of how out of touch the GOP is.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... get-obama/

Quote:
The Republican National Committee Friday unearthed one of the most controversial political ads in American history to take aim at President Obama's decision to close the detention center in Guantanamo Bay.

Called "Daisy," The RNC's new 30-second Web ad uses footage of the now-infamous 1964 Lyndon Johnson commercial by the same name that showed a young girl picking off the pedals of a flower as a nuclear explosion is heard in the background.

That ad, which only ran once but was widely criticized as being extreme, ends with the image of a mushroom crowd and Johnson declaring, "We must either love each other, or we must die."

The New RNC ad splices the image of the girl with Obama's earlier declaration suggesting that closing Guantanamo Bay is "easy." This time the girl asks "To close it? To close it not?" as she picks off flower pedals.

It also shows Senate Democrats — including Majority Leader Harry Reid — appearing to take issue with proposals to relocate current Guantanamo detainees in the United States.

The new iteration, which forgoes the original's dramatic mushroom-cloud ending, comes days after RNC Chairman Michael Steele declared an end to the Obama administration's "honeymoon" and pledged more aggressive opposition from the GOP.

Yeah, I saw that this morning. First thing that came to mind was, "Aren't they trying to reinvent themselves, and stop making the same dumb decisions from the past?"

If the GOP is going to change their image, they need to fire Michael Steele and make some hard decisions about the direction of the party and who to cut loose (Palin).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

As of today, Liberty University (the fundamentalist university founded by Jerry Falwell) has declared that being a Democrat is incompatible with Christian doctrine, and rescinded the charter of the school's Democratic Party student group. Bear in mind that in order to be considered for admission to Liberty, you have to submit a statement of faith declaring your fundamentalist/evangelical bona fides.

Click the Link!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:25 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Reggie McFro.

That could be construed as racist.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Somehow not surprised that crazy people would do crazy things. ;P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Oh come on,anyone who lived in Jax for any amount of time knows about FBC. If you haven't, you weren't paying attention. For those who live elsewhere, think of them as the Jacksonville version of "Focus on the family" I always hated that odious lighthouse they installed downtown with full lights blazing all night long to crash ship... er draw in the faithful..

Here's an example of some of the crap they pull: http://www.jacksonville.com/news/column ... _troubling

Posters from Jax who somehow heard about FBC in 2006 and are not syuni: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/i ... 38134.html

Wikipedia has heard of FBC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_G._Lindsay,_Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bapt ... cksonville

If you did live in Jacksonville, I don't know how you missed them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 AM 

monocot wrote:
Oh come on,anyone who lived in Jax for any amount of time knows about FBC. If you haven't, you weren't paying attention. For those who live elsewhere, think of them as the Jacksonville version of "Focus on the family" I always hated that odious lighthouse they installed downtown with full lights blazing all night long to crash ship... er draw in the faithful..

Here's an example of some of the crap they pull: http://www.jacksonville.com/news/column ... _troubling

Posters from Jax who somehow heard about FBC in 2006 and are not syuni: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/i ... 38134.html

Wikipedia has heard of FBC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_G._Lindsay,_Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bapt ... cksonville

If you did live in Jacksonville, I don't know how you missed them.
Is this a joke? Your first link is the only one that hints of the vast government/church cabal that Syuni references. I can give you link upon link of corrupt large churches. There are churches in Atlanta with pastors driving Rolls Royces and under indictment. No evidence of shady, hypocritical assholes running churches proves Syuni's point that FBC "runs" Jacksonville. Does that mean those churches run Atlanta? Will I be pulled over by the ATL PD because I'm daring to speak out against religious intolerance?

The second link blames FBC for Jacksonville's infrastructure, which is laughable. Furthermore, the second link is a comment from a visitor. Shall I find similar comments about every city in America? But I'll humor you and take on each of the points one by one.

Jax beach held up as the epitome of proper development - have you ever been there? Jax beach is a *shit hole*. Fernandina, St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra, basically every beach surrounding Jax Beach is far nicer.

The Landing? Really? Town Center is an example of how to do shopping properly, not the landing. The landing has nothing going on, is completely empty all of the time and is a huge failure. THAT's the example the poster uses of "good" downtown development?

Last but not least, the most laughable part is where the poster blamed FBC for the fact that Jax could not handle the Super Bowl. Pro tip - if your plans involves shipping in cruise ships because your city doesn't have the hotel rooms to host the super bowl - perhaps you're just not quite ready for it yet.

Again, who is it that isn't connected to Jacksonville? The fact you posted a link with those comments is eye opening. Your other two links are what lead me to believe you're trolling. One is a wikipedia link with no data.

Quote:
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.
The second is a boilerplate wikipedia entry for the church itself, but contains nothing about.. anything. It's a standard wikipedia page. Many churches have that - who cares? My church with 380 Sunday attendance has a wikipedia page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I am unsure why the wiki link I copy pasted didn't work, but if this link I am copying again doesn't come up, you can search google by his name, the article is the first that comes up in google when you type "homer g lindsey jr" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_G._Lindsay,_Jr.

the first link was along the lines of the crap they pull, the second was more of a "this is the opinions of people who live in Jacksonville and deal with these jokers". You acted like Syuni was a crazy person for suggesting that they run Jax, he isn't. Anyone who has lived there for any amount of time knows that. People in Jacksonville talk about it and gripe about it all the time, so Syuni was not coming out of left field for a Jax resident. If you spent 10 years living there and have no idea who they are, you had your head in your arse for that period of time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 AM 

Well, be sure to find a safe place to hide when the roving bands of Baptists are on the prowl. Perhaps the booming shopping & dining mecca of Jacksonville Landing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:52 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

joxur down!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:40 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Balearic
Oil up!

No, wait. That sounds like a line from a bad porn movie.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Profile