It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:35 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Swine Flu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
The Sprint Call Center I work at has already set out precaution notices to everyone to report anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
The most interesting part to me about the whole thing is the previously mentioned fact that it seems to fuck up really healthy people.

Other than that, eh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:54 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Dolalin wrote:
All cases outside of Mexico have been mild. Unless there's some freak mutation that ends up happening, this thing is overrated.

Awesome. I hope that remains the case.

The only drawback is the same worry they had back in...76 was it? Which is that the public feels 'wolf' was cried and the next time may not take it seriously. Most health officials think the next 'big' pandemic is going to be a type A influenza. Or rather, that's the most likely suspect.

I truly hope it peters out (or continues to peter out) AND I really hope that people get pissed at the media for sensationalizing this shit. The only way you can 'punish' them is by switching them off. That's why I've chosen to get most of my news via the internet or written mediums, and I can always watch any segment later that is of interest or import.

Only 'news' I watch outside of the Daily Show (and even that's infrequent) is if something is actually happening and I want to watch it. Otherwise, meh.

I think more people are getting sick of the bullshit though. Maybe that will help revitalize newspapers. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I usually let my TV run on the background on either Cartoons or CNN when I'm at the computer or doing other things out of bad habit. This weekend was mostly CNN, and what I found really funny and stupid was the news hosts constantly saying that they were not trying to fear monger (a lot of people were sending angry messages since they started covering this), only to show a really sensationalizing news update regarding the flu.

And I don't get it, they actually had some good experts that gave good information only to turn around and sensationalize the shit out of the situation while telling you they were not trying to scare you. *rolls eyes*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:09 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Until the media can figure out a way to be profitable without sensationalizing everything they will continue to do so. News is a business and getting people scared or otherwise emotionally tied to stories is the best way to get people to watch. Its their only means of survival. Personally I believe that the only way to get sensationalization out of reporting is to make all of the media into non profit organizations. Commentators could remain for profit but they would have to announce that they are just giving their opinion not actually reporting the facts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
Until the media can figure out a way to be profitable without sensationalizing everything they will continue to do so. News is a business and getting people scared or otherwise emotionally tied to stories is the best way to get people to watch. Its their only means of survival. Personally I believe that the only way to get sensationalization out of reporting is to make all of the media into non profit organizations. Commentators could remain for profit but they would have to announce that they are just giving their opinion not actually reporting the facts.

This is all true in general. Perhaps the success of NPR as an alternative way could be a model for others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:25 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
I truly hope it peters out (or continues to peter out)
Found cases are accelerating, not decelerating.

You can't blame the media for being good at producing content that people consume. Fox News became successful because people wanted that content, not because they used some sort of mind control device. Media is moving toward that model, not away from it.

Half of you admit to Jon Stewart being one of your primary sources of news. That's all well and good - but all he does is tailor his tone and content towards yet another type of biased audience. I think it's less about you guys wanting an NPR-like "just the facts" service and more that you want news tailored to your values.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:33 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

joxur wrote:
Half of you admit to Jon Stewart being one of your primary sources of news. That's all well and good - but all he does is tailor his tone and content towards yet another type of biased audience. I think it's less about you guys wanting an NPR-like "just the facts" service and more that you want news tailored to your values.

I think that's a little harsh, Jox. I used to watch Jon Stewart regularly (not every day because when I tried setting up Tivo to record it I got every repeat as well as first run) and yeah, it was partly because his viewpoint and mine were in accord about the Bush Administration. But more so he found a way to make me laugh at things that I thought were seriously fucked up about what our government was doing. He wasn't really my source for news just an outlet for my reaction to the news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:45 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

By Carlos del Rio
Special to CNN

Editor's note: Carlos del Rio, MD, is the Hubert Professor and chair in the global health department at the Rollins School of Public Health and professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Emory University's School of Medicine. Del Rio is a native of Mexico and was executive director of the National AIDS Council of Mexico from 1992 through 1996.

Quote:
An issue that keeps coming up is the idea of closing the U.S.-Mexico border. Already at various border crossing points, customs authorities are having people who appear sick taken to a secondary inspection area for further evaluation. More systematic monitoring at border crossing and airports such as mouth swabs has been proposed.

Is that a good strategy? I would argue that it is not. The U.S.-Mexico border is one of the busiest in the world with millions of people and goods crossing each day. Many items that we routinely use in the United States are produced in Mexico and closing the border would have a crippling effect to the United States.

For example, in the event of a serious flu outbreak in this country there would be a need for mechanical ventilator deployments to hospitals. The national stockpile has sufficient ventilators, but the necessary circuits that are needed to operate them are not produced in the United States but in Mexico, so having them come across to this country is critical for taking care of critically ill patients in the United States.

Yet another reason that rebuilding our production-based economy is critical to our security.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
You can't blame the media for being good at producing content that people consume.

Yeah, but the media has a real habit of crying wolf and basically desensitizing everyone. They throw around, "DEADLY PANDEMIC" every time someone in Venezuela sneezes, and eventually when some really, really nasty bug DOES come around, we're all gonna be sitting in our houses going, "Oh, yay, another SARS. Big whoop."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:23 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I'm not sure what he means. Some of the components are built in other countries, but the boards are manufactured in the US. Mexico isn't our only supplier for any one thing. Except maybe jumping beans.

This is more a consequence of lean manufacturing than moving production off-shore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Holy shit:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD97S56OG0

=x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 AM 

I heard they were also going to throw in women that wear pants and gays at the same time. Might as well be comprehensive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:48 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Better call the next outbreak the, "Radical Islamic Terrorist Flu" and see if that works.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:10 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Good thing it's not the Camel Flu.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:11 PM 

Quote:
Better call the next outbreak the, "Radical Islamic Terrorist Flu" and see if that works.
Why do you hate freedom?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:46 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Because Obama supports it, ergo it's evil.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:00 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
funny I found that same piggy photo posted elsewhere

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I smell a plot for the next Disney blockbuster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:35 PM 
What does this button do?

It is no longer the swine flu, now it is the N1H1 flu. We can go back to eating bacon again ;)

Please update your score cards accordingly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:52 PM 

WHO raises panic meter to defcon 5

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/sw ... index.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

OH CRAP

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:08 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I'd rather catch it now while it's 'weak', just in case it mutates into something deadlier. I'll take partial immunity where I can get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:35 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Some guy at work was coughing/sneezing the last 2 days. I brought some masks in today and asked him to wear one. LOL he got so defensive, said he wasn't sick and told he it was the flu shot he got. He got it 2 weeks ago... oook. So having to work in the same office as him all day I wore one.

Boy did I get a lot of wierd looks. Everyone assumed I had a cold and thanked me for wearing it, but it wasn't the case. Didn't tell them otherwise. Didn't feel like causing any office drama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:27 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
The masks aren't really good in preventing you from catching shit, outside of public transport where you're in a crowd (and even then they're kinda meh). They're primarily good if fuckers who are sick wear them.

Complain to HR. But you should do that anyway without the swine flu thing. They should send them home.

What used to send me into a goddamned rage were people coming in really sick (and spreading their goddamn plague on everyone) not because they couldn't take the time off, but because sick and vacation days were the same and OH NOES they won't use their precious off time for plague!!!

Assholes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, I always want to fucking punch people in the face when they come in to the library all sick and coughing and sneezing.

The worst is when some mother brings in her 3-4 sick kids all at once, and all they're doing is checking out some DVD's or something. I mean, why the fuck are you bringing your army of little plague carriers to a public place for no good reason? Grr.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Fort Worth ISD closes schools to prevent spread of swine flu
Quote:
A 12-year-old student in the district has tested positive for having the virus, according to district officials. Three other students are listed as "probable" for having it. Nearly 80,000 students will be out of school through at least May 8, Fort Worth ISD spokesman Clint Bond said. The closures came at the recommendation of the Tarrant County Health Department, he said.

Also on Wednesday, the University Interscholastic League suspended all athletic and academic events until after May 11, meaning athletes, musicians and students competing in other activities cannot attend planned statewide events.

The cancellations and school closings come at a busy time in the school year, when TAKS tests are scheduled, and field trips, major competitions and end-of-year activities are typical.

By Wednesday afternoon, several local districts had banned out-of-district field trips and other activities.

School districts also took a range of steps to protect their students. Highland Park ISD is not letting outside groups rent its facilities. And the McKinney school district has canceled more than a dozen field trips. Carroll ISD suspended student travel, performances, and faculty and staff trips until further notice.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that school districts close campuses if one student is confirmed to have swine flu.

But some school districts aren't taking any chances.

The Lewisville school district closed Hebron Valley Elementary after three students were identified as possibly carrying the virus.

And before deciding to close all its schools late Wednesday, Fort Worth ISD had closed four campuses because each had a probable case of swine flu.

I don't know what to think now. My kids are in the Lewisville ISD. My daughter is upset that her end of the year band trip has been canceled. All extra-curricular activities have basically been suspended (baseball, track, other sports, and anything that is not related to the core education classes)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:34 AM 

Coughing and sneezing is probably just allergies. The heat wave last week caused lots of extra pollen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Yeah, I always want to fucking punch people in the face when they come in to the library all sick and coughing and sneezing.

The worst is when some mother brings in her 3-4 sick kids all at once, and all they're doing is checking out some DVD's or something. I mean, why the fuck are you bringing your army of little plague carriers to a public place for no good reason? Grr.

And the other one is the ass that comes to work sick as hell thinking he's being a trooper or something working while sick. Hi...go home you are sick. I don't want to be spraying out both ends for 3 days, thanks. Hospitals are full of employees like that; coming in sick as all hell to show how tough they are or to not let the team down....Meanwhile they get already sick patients sicker and get co-workers sick, reducing an already short staff to a skeleton crew.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 AM 

Quote:
And the other one is the ass that comes to work sick as hell thinking he's being a trooper or something working while sick. Hi...go home you are sick. I don't want to be spraying out both ends for 3 days, thanks. Hospitals are full of employees like that; coming in sick as all hell to show how tough they are or to not let the team down....Meanwhile they get already sick patients sicker and get co-workers sick, reducing an already short staff to a skeleton crew.

I have to be honest-- I bet I'm sometimes one of those asses. Short of a heart attack, I almost never stay home-- I hate missing a day. My sick days do accumulate over the years at this school though, and when I retire I get paid for all of them...

Anyway, sorry :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:16 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Snarky00 wrote:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

Live google map of the outbreak.

It's starting to lose accuracy. There were 3 or 4 cases in IL that aren't on there.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:17 AM 

Quote:

The worst is when some mother brings in her 3-4 sick kids all at once, and all they're doing is checking out some DVD's or something. I mean, why the fuck are you bringing your army of little plague carriers to a public place for no good reason?
You work in a liberry bro. Get used to it. You have the lowest denominators coming in there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

When I'm sick, I try to visit the grocery store and handle all the produce.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:43 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

If its just one person updating the map in their spare time I doubt they can keep up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

White House aide's family likely has swine flu

LOL

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:33 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

joxur wrote:
Quote:
You work in a liberry bro. Get used to it. You have the lowest denominators coming in there.

Please tell me that was an intentional misspelling. Not to be a spelling Nazi or anything, but considering the context, it was hard to let pass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
heh, I believe joxur was making fun of how a lot of southerner's say the word, educated or not.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:51 PM 

Joe Biden: Idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:41 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Read that earlier. Still better than having Darth Sidious as a VP. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:46 AM 

Per the media "desensitizing" people:

Quote:
This is a choice you make, not anything anyone can force on you.

Could not have said it better myself.

Apparently media sensationalism includes everything under the sun. Omg, they had a banner that said "SWINE FLU 09" in the background, they're sensationalizing it! Omg, scary urgent music! Sensationalism!

Quote:

Which part? I thought he summed it up quite well, and it's rather smart advice(of course we don't know the severity of the flu at this point for absolute certain, but it's still not a bad thing to keep in mind when we're dealing with a rather unique strain). That's one of the things I like about Joe Biden - he's honest and he'll give it to you straight up. He was specifically asked what he would tell his family, and he said probably exactly what he told his family to do.

He didn't say "OMGAH don't ever travel on planes or busses ever", he said it might be a good idea to take a different mode *if* you don't really need to take that kind of transportation. It's not as if it was an official advisory, he was merely giving his personal opinion and what he personally would do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:06 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Could not have said it better myself.

Apparently media sensationalism includes everything under the sun. Omg, they had a banner that said "SWINE FLU 09" in the background, they're sensationalizing it! Omg, scary urgent music! Sensationalism!

Well, the fact is that - even if you want to place it all on personal perception - when the media makes EVERYTHING a huge, terrible crisis, how do people know what's actually serious?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 AM 

I'd want to see some serious evidence that they're actually making it out to be some huge terrible crisis... otherwise, as I suspect, the media's coverage as sensational is overhyped merely because the media decides to cover it 24/7. People turn on their TVs, see the swine flu again, and think that's reason enough to call the media out for society's ills.

The bottom line is that people want to see this. I remember a couple weeks ago(or so) with regard to the flu, even before it had been on the new channels 24/7 - most of the questions from e-mailers, twitterers, etc were questions about the flu! Even a quick glance at popular commentary sites before this became a huge story suggested that this was generating lots of buzz. The media didn't just pick this up and decide to broadcast 24/7 on it. It began as a brief blurb, people demanded more info(and understandably so given the nature of the strain), and they received it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:27 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Well, I dunno about the news where you live...but my local news here in Florida kept referring to it as a, "Killer Pandemic" and such. Had news spots about how you needed to protect your family from the "Killer Swine Flu".

Which, strictly speaking is true I guess. But it's all about the presentation, I suppose. If this is the, "Killer Global Pandemic"...what do we call it when something really IS truly dangerous?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:23 AM 

You're retarded for watching the local news. Seriously. Do you watch Judge Judy, too?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:34 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Wow, Jox, that was a stellar point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Well I'm swayed. No more local news for me!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Venen wrote:

Quote:

Which part? I thought he summed it up quite well, and it's rather smart advice(of course we don't know the severity of the flu at this point for absolute certain, but it's still not a bad thing to keep in mind when we're dealing with a rather unique strain). That's one of the things I like about Joe Biden - he's honest and he'll give it to you straight up. He was specifically asked what he would tell his family, and he said probably exactly what he told his family to do.

He didn't say "OMGAH don't ever travel on planes or busses ever", he said it might be a good idea to take a different mode *if* you don't really need to take that kind of transportation. It's not as if it was an official advisory, he was merely giving his personal opinion and what he personally would do.

Newp, he shouldn't have said what he said period. Especially when the health officials and the president are singing a different tune. In the end, he is an image of authority and his word is important and will be heard and followed, so it shouldn't conflict from what the President is suggesting people to do. Especially when it can potentially affect transportation businesses for no real reason.

It has also nothing to do with honesty, these people know how to answer questions dishonestly when they have to, this was a fuck up on his part. If it hadn't been he wouldn't have taken the train home a day after saying his comments. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:32 PM 

They told me if I voted for McCain we'd have an idiot for a vice president... and they were right!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:54 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That's more idiotic than Biden's comment. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:27 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

I didn't hear the VP's statement but it's been suggested that he meant you should avoid buses and trains if you're sick. Which is true of any contagious disease you may have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 PM 

Quote:
Well, I dunno about the news where you live...but my local news here in Florida kept referring to it as a, "Killer Pandemic" and such. Had news spots about how you needed to protect your family from the "Killer Swine Flu".

Which, strictly speaking is true I guess. But it's all about the presentation, I suppose. If this is the, "Killer Global Pandemic"...what do we call it when something really IS truly dangerous?

Local news can be more sensational than major media outlets in some cases, but I still don't see the big deal with this either. It is indeed a "killer" global pandemic, and it's up to the PEOPLE to decide whether they want to be scared of a simple fact or not. What do you call a more serious problem? Here's what you call it: "A global pandemic that has killed millions, instead of hundreds".

Quote:
Newp, he shouldn't have said what he said period. Especially when the health officials and the president are singing a different tune. In the end, he is an image of authority and his word is important and will be heard and followed, so it shouldn't conflict from what the President is suggesting people to do. Especially when it can potentially affect transportation businesses for no real reason.

It has also nothing to do with honesty, these people know how to answer questions dishonestly when they have to, this was a fuck up on his part. If it hadn't been he wouldn't have taken the train home a day after saying his comments.

It doesn't differ from the President in that he's not specifically advising anyone on what to do, he's saying what he PERSONALLY would advise his family to do. He may be in a position of authority, but people should be able to tell the difference between the two, and if they can't that is their fault rather than Biden's. And well, him taking the train is a bit different from telling his family what to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:12 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

While I do not think we are talking about the end of the world, how can people not be taken back a bit by this?

I am seriously consdering reducing my investments right now.

On one hand, I don't want to overreact. On the other hand, this thing is spreading. It is a lot more communicable than the bird flu.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:13 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
While I do not think we are talking about the end of the world, how can people not be taken back a bit by this?

I am seriously consdering reducing my investments right now.

On one hand, I don't want to overreact. On the other hand, this thing is spreading. It is a lot more communicable than the bird flu.

It's definitely spreading, but it doesn't seem to be going *too* fast. I'm waiting to see an explosion of it in China. On our front I just want to strangle these stupid motherfuckers flocking to the ER because they sneezed or sniffled......

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:16 AM 

Looks like pigs are contracting this from humans now.

Somehow, this inspires my imagination to generate fears of this that nothing else has. I think of the potential for mutation combined with proliferation with this going back and forth between pigs and humans, which leads me to a scary place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 AM 

joxur wrote:
You're retarded for watching the local news. Seriously. Do you watch Judge Judy, too?
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Wow, Jox, that was a stellar point.
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Well I'm swayed. No more local news for me!
Actually it was a perfectly legitimate point and a fairly apt analogy, too. The local news pretty much anywhere is full of idiots who act like they're doing a job they couldn't understand if they tried, just like Judge Judy, actually lol (no, folks, it's not a real court, it's actually binding arbitration. Sorry to spoil the party). I mean, I can't even count the number of demonstrably false things and absolutely ridiculous things people say on the local news here in Cleveland.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:05 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

But Fox news is full of fair and balanced reporting!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:05 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

Why would we be taken back by this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The question isn't if the media is over reacting. Is the CDC and WHO over reacting? I don't think so. If the response and actions taken ever the last two weeks hadn't occured I think we would have very different news stories today.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:03 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

Why would we be taken back by this?
Because a potentially fatal, airborne disease is spreading among a normally healthy population and attempts to contain it at this point have mostly failed.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next