It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Roosevelt must have been a pink commie bastard for paling around with Stalin, too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
joxur wrote:
hey, good comeback. because i was a huge bush fan, and all.

i wasn't arguing i'm just postin :drinkers:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:44 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
So Obama is at the conference while Ortega is ranting and raving, calling the US the worst thing to ever happen in the Western Hemisphere. Then when Obama talks about the Ortega speech he says "I am glad he didn't blame me for it"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:54 PM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

that's m'dawg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:29 AM 

My goodness, a *handshake* ANDDD a smile with Hugo Chavez. The man is obviously in league with the terrorists.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 AM 

It must piss off people who suffer oppression in countries like Venezuela, Cuba and Saudi Arabia to see the American president backslapping their oppressors when they've always thought the US was the banner-carrier on freedom and human rights. I guess with our record of torture, why not embrace them? There's a difference between resetting our relations and embracing dictators.

I'm all for taking a different tone, but let's do so acknowledging both the good and bad of those countries.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Are you aware that Chavez is hugely popular with the general public in Venezuela?

Quote:
I'm all for taking a different tone, but let's do so acknowledging both the good and bad of those countries.

Pretty much exactly what he's doing, if you take off the blinders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:12 AM 

Quote:
Are you aware that Chavez is hugely popular with the general public in Venezuela?
Are you aware that Chavez wants to be president for 25 years and regularly suppresses opposition? Your point is what, exactly? That because he's popular, it makes suppressing opposing views unimportant?

Quote:
Pretty much exactly what he's doing, if you take off the blinders
Really? Like what, exactly?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:16 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Well, we're just another nation, not God and not a scolding parent. At a certain point - especially with nations that have a lot of power - we have to drop the macho "We won't talk to you!!!" act and realize that not everyone is going to be like us and that we can't just condemn them all for it.

We can disapprove of their actions and even try to coax change, but we can't just slam the door on nations like China. At least I don't think it'd be a great idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:37 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
In other words, we need to stop being Lawful Stupid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 PM 

Quote:
Are you aware that Chavez wants to be president for 25 years and regularly suppresses opposition? Your point is what, exactly? That because he's popular, it makes suppressing opposing views unimportant?

My point was you made it sound like the Venezuelan public would hate us even more because we're "supporting their oppressor" when the fact is he is popular in his country. Just pointing out the general gap between your statement and reality I suppose.

Quote:
Really? Like what, exactly?

I'm not getting into that game with you. Read any speech you like on any topic concerning the countries you mentioned, and you will see it. His is not unqualified support, and it has never been so. I'm thankful that finally after 8 years of insanity we have a president willing to be diplomatic. I would have thought you would be too, but again-- the blinders!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:02 PM 

I wrote that it must piss off people who suffer oppression in those countries. Don't deliberately misinterpret my words, Fribster. Unless you're denying that those things are taking place in Venezuela? Or you disagree that the people who disagree politically have been beaten, tortured or silenced in some other way look at Obama grinning from ear to ear in dismay?

Quote:
I'm not getting into that game with you.
I know you won't.

Obama got pretty badly outmaneuvered by Chavez. Notice the book that he gave Obama went from an Amazon ranking of somewhere in the 54k's to #2 by Sunday. Funny, don't you think? A guy with a terrible human rights record, who has denounced the US, gave our president a book detailing how outside interests have exploited Latin America.. detect any kind of a theme, here? Who do you think won that exchange?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090419/ap_ ... vez_s_gift

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:40 PM 

Our country has a bad human rights record too. We just change leaders every few years so you can't pin it all on one guy.

Are you unhappy that the book is being sold? Is it bad to read it? I'm certainly interested in reading it too.

I'm confused as to why this is bad (again). I feel (again) like you take any action Obama does, and then look for the absolute worst way to interpret it.

If Obama found the cure for cancer, it feels like you would complain that he was putting doctors out of work and hurting the economy as a result.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:58 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
Fribur I think your missing the point. Uncle Barry pals around and is buddy buddy with Chavez. A man who has done more to oppress his people, nationalize the Venezualan oil industry, and set himself up as El Jefe for life. While Obama celebrates and has his photo taken with the worst torturer in the western hemisphere. While he throws the CIA and the previous administration under the bus for Gitmo and the interrogation techniques used there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Last I checked, our country hasn't jailed or expelled political dissenters or foreign human rights reporters lately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:06 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
P.S. Ask any citizen in a dictatorship and they'll say the love their leader.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 PM 

I think you guys put far too much emphasis on a picture and a visit. It's miles away from real "partnership," and I can only hope you actually know it somewhere inside you.

And throwing the CIA under the bus? I could only wish. His refusal to prosecute them, however... seems pretty much the opposite of "throwing the CIA under the bus."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:04 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

"Uncle Barry"

Wow. Now that's classy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x915hk ... obama_news Look at how friendly they look in that video too, I bet they had a make out session right after, or more. I wonder whose the top. Or maybe they flip flop?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 AM 

Only those most idiotic folks in Venezuela, under oppression or not, would view a simple handshake and smile as some kind of denial or ignorance on the part of the President of their problems. The same kind of uneducated folks that have a tough time grasping the concept of civility and/or speaking softly and carrying a big stick. There's simply no concrete association between simple mannerisms and ideological positions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I don't think the folks in Venezuela really complained or made much about to the hand shake... It seems to be much more of a local reaction. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 AM 

They may or may not have, not really the point. The question was what a casual, semi-intelligent observer's interpretation would be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Sarissa wrote:
P.S. Ask any citizen in a dictatorship and they'll say the love their leader.
Yep, you could easily get similar poll numbers in Cuba.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 AM 

Diplomacy is mostly symbolism and gestures. If you really think bowing and ear-splitting grins for people that spew and stir up anti-American sentiments DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING, then you know nothing about diplomacy. None of you cite any evidence, either historical or current, that foreign policy symbolism means nothing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:37 AM 

Nor have you provided any evidence that symbolism and gestures form what is most of diplomacy.

Symbolism and gestures play a role, but only within the *context* of which they are used. FDR put on a good face and met with Stalin, while also preparing for tensing relations with Russia in the future. Reagan met consistently with Gorbachev and he was quite friendly with him, all while the U.S. was tearing Russia apart economically, politically, and militarily.

Frankly, FDR and Reagan both could have frowned and been unapproachable during their entire confrontations with their respective enemies - it would have been looked upon as petty, probably, but plenty doable.

True, it's a question that is more profoundly put to the eye of the beholder. People can certainly interpret it as this grand sign of weakness, and that can hurt relations/diplomacy efforts in turn. But, given the historical context with innumerable leaders meeting under civil and calm circumstances while having a polite conversation, it should be evident to almost anyone that a display of civility is hardly indicative of any underlying policy in this day and age. Being civil is completely standard practice for almost anyone that wants to have serious discussions or relations(particularly foreign relations).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:00 AM 

Quote:
Symbolism and gestures play a role, but only within the *context* of which they are used. FDR put on a good face and met with Stalin, while also preparing for tensing relations with Russia in the future. Reagan met consistently with Gorbachev and he was quite friendly with him, all while the U.S. was tearing Russia apart economically, politically, and militarily.
And yet, you cite no evidence that Obama is doing anything of the sort with Venezuela, Cuba, China or Russia. But then, it's a pattern for you. Didn't you post that Obama had accomplished something in Europe, then could cite nothing he accomplished?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:17 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

What "proof" exactly do you think he could offer to that fact?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:22 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

wikipedia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Obama's doing well in the "speak nicely" part of his foreign policy and really that had to come first. Soon he needs to step up and start "Carrying a large stick" though to become credible on the world stage. I don't get the big uproar about a handshake and accepting a gift. It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. If he had given Chavez the cold shoulder it would have been called a 'flip-flop' so he was in a lose-lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
joxur wrote:
Quote:
And yet, you cite no evidence that Obama is doing anything of the sort with Venezuela, Cuba, China or Russia. But then, it's a pattern for you. Didn't you post that Obama had accomplished something in Europe, then could cite nothing he accomplished?

It's fucking APRIL. You want 8 years of foreign policy to occur in 3 months? Geez, man, chill the fuck out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 PM 

Quote:

As noted, neither of the above examples were particularly evident behind the scenes with a possible exception to Reagan - and even then we did not know the full extent of what was actually going on until later.

My point is not that there is direct evidence that Obama is doing anything behind the scenes along those lines - it's that if history is any judge, engaging in civil discourse has almost never been an indicator of a diplomatic outcome. Complete lack of reading comprehension is becoming a disturbing pattern for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Gosthok wrote:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x915hk_chavez-obama_news
Look at how friendly they look in that video too, I bet they had a make out session right after, or more. I wonder whose the top. Or maybe they flip flop?

Wow, actually watching the video (rather than the snapshot) really makes me wonder why certain people are swarming around this.

I guess it's the folks that want Obama to fail, and saw a (flimsy) opportunity to point out a problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I only found out about that clip because of the Daily Show... sadly enough. ;P

Offline Profile