It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
I saw Obama on the morning news today.
He was talking about the whole world getting rid of Nuclear Weapons.
Nice Dream, but, I think it is a bit unrealistic.

I did a GIS on it, and got THIS story.

Quote:
From The Times
April 6, 2009

Barack Obama reveals vision for world without nuclear weapons

David Charter in Prague and Tom Baldwin

Fighting a heavy cold that has dogged him throughout his European tour, President Obama had turned in early for the night to get some rest before a big set-piece speech and a third international summit in four days.

His sleep, however, was interrupted. Shortly after 4.30am yesterday he was woken in his Prague hotel by his press secretary, who told him that North Korea had fired a long-range missile.

Although the launch was neither a surprise nor entirely successful, this was the first significant security test of his presidency, and the White House was determined that the world should know that he was treating it as such.

Aides gave briefings on how Mr Obama had spent the next few hours on the telephone to Robert Gates, the Defence Secretary, as well as to other military and intelligence chiefs. “Had we determined that this launch posed a threat to the United States of America,” his spokesman said, “we would have taken whatever steps were necessary to ensure the safety and security of the American people.”

Even as he dazzles Europe, inspiring vast crowds and offering disarmament talks with Russia one day, acknowledging past US arrogance the next, the White House is acutely aware that Republicans back home say that he is an innocent abroad who promises too much for too little in return.

Yesterday, only hours before he was due to deliver a speech on his vision of ridding the world of nuclear weapons for ever, North Korea had grabbed the global spotlight and — in the eyes of critics — demonstrated that any sign of weakness from America merely encouraged its enemies.

Yesterday morning, as he addressed more than 20,000 people from Prague Castle, the President declared “America’s commitment to seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons”.

The United States — as the only nation to have used an atomic bomb — had a “moral responsibility” to remove the threat of mass destruction, he said. “I’m not naive. This goal will not be reached quickly — perhaps not in my lifetime. It will take patience and persistence. But now we . . . must ignore the voices who tell us that the world cannot change. We have to insist, ‘Yes, we can’.”

At the end the crowd surged forward to touch him, as they have across Europe in the past few days. Marek Prokes, 22, a student who shook Mr Obama by the hand, said: “For me it was amazing. He is a president who can make a change. It is not just an empty phrase.” Paul Ermite, 61, declared: “That was the greatest speech I have ever heard.”

Mr Obama’s appeal to idealism, however, serves to conceal the hard-headed pragmatism of his purpose. By using a mix of exhortation and humility he hopes to overcome some of the hurdles that have for so long stood in the way of concerted international action, be it on nuclear proliferation, the economy, the war in Afghanistan or even climate change, which he later discussed at an EU-US summit.

The speech contained some important caveats, not least because much of his Czech audience is gazing anxiously at Russia’s efforts to reassert dominance over the “sphere of influence” in Eastern Europe that it once controlled with an iron fist. Mr Obama said: “Make no mistake: as long as these weapons exist, we will maintain a safe, secure and effective arsenal to deter any adversary, and guarantee that defence to our allies.”

He added that the continued threat from Iran, as well as the North Korean test launch, underlined the need for the missile shield that the US, much to the dismay of Moscow, plans to base in the Czech Republic and Poland.

Yet the main thrust of Mr Obama’s nuclear disarmament initiative shows that he is intent on building bridges with Russia, China and, to a lesser extent, European countries such as Germany, which have balked at past American efforts to stop rogue states acquiring such weapons.

Gary Samore, the President’s arms control co-ordinator, said that the US was seeking “the moral high ground” so that other countries could no longer accuse it of double standards.

Mr Obama promised that he would seek immediate ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty, which the Senate has blocked previously.

In addition to the negotiations that he announced in London for a deal to cut the number of warheads held by Russia and America, he suggested yesterday that he may provide the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty with the authority that it has lacked.

Mr Obama spoke of the Velvet Revolution in which the Czechs had overthrown communism without a shot being fired. He said: “It proved that moral leadership is more powerful than any weapon.”

Later he met Vaclav Havel, the playwright who inspired that movement and became his country’s first leader after the Iron Curtain fell. Mr Havel warned Mr Obama to “be careful” because he knew how idealistic hope could turn to anger. The President replied with a rueful laugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:34 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Unless he can make other nations not want them, it'll never happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

It's right up there with "eliminate dependence on foreign oil in 10 years".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 AM 
I schooled the old school.

There's absolutenly nothing wrong with having this goal. The pursuit of this goal is still worthy, even if it seems unattainable right now.

For example, it is worth having the goal, "Eliminate all disease!" even if that is never attainable. A lot of good things happen along the way to pursuing that goal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:44 AM 

Give me a fucking break.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 AM 

What are you talking about? Seriously, you have a problem with reducing nuclear weapon arsenals?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:51 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Guys, Obama should totally ignore anything that can't be done within 4 to 8 years and just focus on the immediate things he can change, cuz being myopic is the total way to take care of business!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 AM 

Wait wait, fribur. First, you said it was a good goal to have, to eliminate all nukes. You even drew a correlary with "eliminating all disease". Then, you come back and ask me if it's a bad goal to "reduce" nukes..

Which are you arguing for, elimination or reduction? It's pretty clear that MY derision was aimed at the thought that anyone could ever eliminate nukes across the globe.

Stop moving the goalposts.

Eliminating nuclear weapons is impossible. Will never happen, and furthermore, research into developing BETTER nuclear weapons will never stop, either. Not one nation that has nukes will eliminate them, and not one nation that DOESN'T have nukes will stop trying to get them. You can't un-invent it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:58 AM 

Eliminating disease is also impossible. I guess we should give up then, if that logic holds true.

I guess you also missed my point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 AM 

I didn't move any goalposts, either. If you want to reduce nuclear arsenals, then when the leader of the world's superpower says, "I want to get rid of nuclear weapons," generally I would think you would be happy.

But... you have the eternal hardon for Obama, so you will hate it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Sadly, I'm with joxur here, damnit.

Reduction = feasible, while incredibly difficult.

Elimination =

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Furthermore, I never want my country to be without nuclear weapons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 AM 

But I don't understand what the problem is then. If you want reduction, and you believe elimination is infeasible, then why would you be upset at Obama's words? You say you know his goal is impossible, but you also know that your goal is met when he tries to achieve it so.... what's the problem again?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

that he's being unrealistic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
and wasting time on impossible goals

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:12 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
The way I see it (and I'm not the least bit happy about it), the only way nuclear weapons will disappear completely is with the creation of something that renders them obsolete... or by their use, I suppose.

But I don't see anything wrong with a president who says he wants to get rid of nukes. This is political speech, after all. Strong language is often needed to turn heads and place the goalpost in a lesser but still acceptable position.

If you want to turn this into a football analogy, the comment isn't about the goalpost at all. It's about moving the chains and getting control of the ball. It says, "This is where I want to go, now watch as I take action."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:19 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
Reduction is possible.
Elimination is not probable.

When he goes out preaching about getting rid of all nuclear weapons, he gets a lot of people to rally behind him, but, in reality, it is a goal that cannot be achieved.

BUT, he will get the credit for TRYING.

That is what this is about.

Big talk and propaganda that makes him look good to a lot of people without really having to do anything. He can take credit for the words promoting the idea, but, will not be blamed for the failure to make it happen.

Win/Win.

It would be a wonderful thing to happen, but it is an unrealistic wish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Haven't we been reducing the number of nukes for years now?

Honest question, I'm woefully uneducated on the subject.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
BUT, he will get the credit for TRYING.

That is what this is about.

Because... you know... CREDIT is important.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 AM 

yeah, actions don't mean anything as long as intentions are good.

BULLSHIT!

This is a pie-in-the-sky president. He will read all sorts of grand, yet unrealistic, plans and people will think that he is still wonderful "because he is trying". Then with the harsh had of reality slaps him in the face he will blame some other force and then try to launch some other unrealistic goal. (Keep them preoccupied with senseless bullshit and they won't pay attention to the real issues)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 AM 

I want a pony.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Yes, both sides have been reducing them for a couple of decades. Obama and the Russian President set the groundwork at the G20 for an agreement to reduce arsenals below 1500 each, if I recall correctly. Which will still be enough for each country to blow up the world a few hundred times over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Also: it is pretty obvious which posters here have never worked on an organizational vision statement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:46 AM 

It isn't Russia that you should be worried about with nukes. It is Iran, China, Korea, India, Pakistan, and other smaller countries that won't negotiate an arms treatise with the rest of the world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

bearne wrote:
Also: it is pretty obvious which posters here have never worked on an organizational vision statement.

yer mom

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 AM 

Don't make me go here, Goals must be SMART

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The number of missiles was reduced, but I believe the number of warheads was not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:52 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Here's a solid action-based rationale for that argument.
Quote:
Even after trimming $60 billion from the Pentagon budget, America would spend nearly as much on defense as does the rest of the world combined. We would spend more than triple the amount spent by Russia, China, and the Axis of Evil combined.

Here's what America could accomplish with that $60 billion. We could:

- Provide health insurance to 9 million American kids who lack it
- Rebuild or modernize our public schools over 12 years
- Retrain a quarter million workers
- Cut our reliance on foreign oil in half over 10 years
- Restore recent cuts in life-saving medical research
- Invest wisely in Homeland Security by inspecting cargo containers entering our ports
- Save 6 million children who die of hunger-related diseases in impoverished countries annually
- [Apply it toward] the deficit

From http://www.truemajority.org/csba/priorities.php

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

krby71 wrote:
It isn't Russia that you should be worried about with nukes. It is Iran, China, Korea, India, Pakistan, and other smaller countries that won't negotiate an arms treatise with the rest of the world.

And, again, even if both the US and Russia go below 1500 each, it is still enough to blow up the world a few hundred times over.

I guess I don't really see why this worth the energy to get worked up over, either way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:01 AM 

Quote:
Wow, geeze. Bearne is that guy in the company who actually enjoys sitting through the vision statement process. That was pure entertainment, Bearne.

Please, convey to us the principles of coming up with a strong organizational vision statement. I'd wager I know more about the subject than you do. How many large organizations have you worked for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 AM 

Man you guys are cynical. I don't understand what the problem is with setting high goals (even unrealistically high), and then working to try to achieve them. It's the working part that produces the positive product, and the idealistic goal helps to create the desire to go for it.

When I teach band, we do the same thing, on an obviously much smaller scale. I had out pieces of music to them, then spend days preaching an impossible goal: these pieces must be PERFECT. There can be no mistakes anywhere, and not just in notes and rhythms. There must be perfect dynamics, perfect intonation, perfect phrasing, and perfect tuning. On top of all that, we all must have a perfect understanding of what kind of musical interpretation we want as a group, and work together toward realizing that in every performance.

This is impossible. But in pushing for that kind of standard, the students respond. In fact, they often go beyond what they thought was possible before we set those goals. Time and time again they come back to me at the end of the term and say, "boy, I never thought we could do that much, or be that good." This combats the "it's ok to be mediocre" syndrome that plagued this small town band before I came along.

Why is this a bad thing? I want a leader that inspires us to push beyond what we think is "realistic" and then works toward that vision. Thank god Lincoln didn't say "the elimination of slavery is impossible." Would we have gotten to the moon if JFK had said, "maybe if we work hard, we might get some kind of animal in space some day." Hell no-- he set up the impossible, and pushed for it.

I do not want to be in a world where no one pushes for excellence, because excellence is deemed "unrealistic." We need idealists, to push us cynical folk beyond what we think is possible. We need those idealists to be leading us. If we all sit back and only be "realistic," perhaps the Revolutionary War would have never happened (make war with a bunch of farmers against the superpower of the earth at the time? hell no!). Our founding fathers pushed for the impossible, and got it because they refused to be realistic.

I want people out there looking for the elimination of poverty, disease, war, nuclear weapons, pollution, slavery, child sex trade, and more. Saying, "it will always be there" is a recipe for apathy and stagnation. We need these people to push us, friends. Screw "realistic." I'll take a man with charisma and idealism leading me any day. Let's see where it takes us! Get off your ass, stop complaining, and go out and try to achieve something great.

/em steps off his soapbox.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

When comparing national spending, why use raw dollars instead of % of GDP?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 AM 

Quote:
I had out pieces of music to them, then spend days preaching an impossible goal: these pieces must be PERFECT. There can be no mistakes anywhere, and not just in notes and rhythms.
The problem with your analogy is that you, presumably, don't issue a press release to all students and parents that you're going to produce the perfect musical arrangement.

There, I just saved you 7 paragraphs of bullshit.

It was idealogues that pushed for the Iraq war. "We will be greeted as liberators." Fuck your ideals, right in the ear.

I could go on for a full day on the promises and ideals Obama has promoted that he has wantonly violated. Campaign finance reform. FISA and warrantless wiretapping. State secrets. Earmarks. Sunlight on signing. Deficits. I'll spare you the embarrassment of the full list. Those are all things Obama the idealist felt one way about before the election, and now has done a full 180 on. So yeah, go fuck yourself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:13 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Sarissa: It's not my data and I agree, that information would be interesting. I suspect you already know what percentage of our GDP is allocated for defense purposes, but if you click through the link, you can see how it fits to our overall spending.

However, markets don't subsist on percentages. Just like the supermarket doesn't sell milk at 1% of our daily pay -- it's $4 and change, no matter what you make -- the costs for materials and technology on the global market are similar.

Neither is a perfect tool for comparison, but looking actual dollars gets you closer to actual capability, imho.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I agree with Fribur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 AM 

joxur wrote:
Quote:
I had out pieces of music to them, then spend days preaching an impossible goal: these pieces must be PERFECT. There can be no mistakes anywhere, and not just in notes and rhythms.
The problem with your analogy is that you, presumably, don't issue a press release to all students and parents that you're going to produce the perfect musical arrangement.

Neither did he. Read the article. He announced a "vision" of what he was going to attempt. This is exactly the same as what I do in my classroom. I give them the vision of what we are going to attempt, and we set about trying to achieve it.

Quote:

Fuck you. This is my life work you are talking about, and I refuse to be pulled down by your cynicism/hate.

Quote:
It was idealogues that pushed for the Iraq war. "We will be greeted as liberators." Fuck your ideals, right in the ear.

This isn't even close to the same. The ideal /= the method. If the ideal for Iraq was, "The Middle East will be full of democracies that love us," then that's something we can all get behind. That's a vision that almost none of us would disagree with, much like the idea of a world without any nuclear weapons. The problem with Iraq was the method which was insane from the beginning (and I'm proud to say I've always, ALWAYS said that). In a similar vein, if Obama's method is to simply reduce our own weapons to zero without getting the same from others, or getting rid of them by blowing them all up in New York, well then you might have a point. But I think it's pretty safe to say Obama isn't going to do that.

For the rest of that shit you brought up, "fuck myself?" Whatever. It's been what-- 70 days? since he took office? Is the only way he could have made you happy is if the entire country turned into CareBear Land the instant he stepped in the White House? How about fuck you, Mr. "I consider myself deeply religious." Talk about unrealistic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Eh, I've worked for enough large organizations to sit through multiple vision statement breakout sessions at various levels. The whole point is to go big.

Separate from that, with all of the other crap going on around the world at the moment, I really don't see what about this topic is worth writing multiple paragraphs about. It seems like such a non-issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Agreed, it's just deceptive for the author to list it next to the expenditure of nations with economies 14x or more smaller than ours.

Defense also isn't just a pool of money. It pays people, gives them insurance, manufacturing jobs, research jobs, college grants, etc. so the gains should be compared to the losses as well.

What's a state going to do when it's losing out in the auto sector and has military vehicle production cut (i.e. Michigan, North Carolina, etc).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 AM 

I disagree with the idea of this being deceptive-- x amount of dollars buys x number of tanks, no matter what percentage of GDP your spending happens to be. If we spend 10 times more than another country on widgets, it follows that we will have 10 times more widgets than the other country, whether we have GDP of 1 million or 1 bazillion (assuming similiar levels of government inefficency). The point is we don't need that much.

If you don't want to lose the "gains" then take all that money and resources and put it to something else, like massive aid programs here in the states. Move people in military jobs to humanitarian jobs. Don't cut them-- change their purpose. Dream big!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:39 AM 

Fribur wrote:
Man you guys are cynical. I don't understand what the problem is with setting high goals (even unrealistically high), and then working to try to achieve them. It's the working part that produces the positive product, and the idealistic goal helps to create the desire to go for it.

When I teach band, we do the same thing, on an obviously much smaller scale. I had out pieces of music to them, then spend days preaching an impossible goal: these pieces must be PERFECT. There can be no mistakes anywhere, and not just in notes and rhythms. There must be perfect dynamics, perfect intonation, perfect phrasing, and perfect tuning. On top of all that, we all must have a perfect understanding of what kind of musical interpretation we want as a group, and work together toward realizing that in every performance.

This is impossible. But in pushing for that kind of standard, the students respond. In fact, they often go beyond what they thought was possible before we set those goals. Time and time again they come back to me at the end of the term and say, "boy, I never thought we could do that much, or be that good." This combats the "it's ok to be mediocre" syndrome that plagued this small town band before I came along.
Yes, thank goodness that Nuclear Arms elimination is just like teaching High School band. You do want to teach perfection teachers are failing where they DON'T demand perfection.

Quote:
Why is this a bad thing? I want a leader that inspires us to push beyond what we think is "realistic" and then works toward that vision. Thank god Lincoln didn't say "the elimination of slavery is impossible." Would we have gotten to the moon if JFK had said, "maybe if we work hard, we might get some kind of animal in space some day." Hell no-- he set up the impossible, and pushed for it.
However, they were not impossible and we knew that it could be accomplished because we were in complete control of all the parameters. It would be easy to say "we will eliminate all of our Nuclear Weapons" it would be totally reckless and leave us in a indefensible position. There are too many power hungry dictators that crave that power thinking that it will make the rest of the world pay attention to them. Until there is a global desire to eliminate them, it will never happen.

Quote:
I do not want to be in a world where no one pushes for excellence, because excellence is deemed "unrealistic." We need idealists, to push us cynical folk beyond what we think is possible. We need those idealists to be leading us. If we all sit back and only be "realistic," perhaps the Revolutionary War would have never happened (make war with a bunch of farmers against the superpower of the earth at the time? hell no!). Our founding fathers pushed for the impossible, and got it because they refused to be realistic.
Apples and oranges again.

Quote:
I want people out there looking for the elimination of poverty, disease, war, nuclear weapons, pollution, slavery, child sex trade, and more. Saying, "it will always be there" is a recipe for apathy and stagnation. We need these people to push us, friends. Screw "realistic." I'll take a man with charisma and idealism leading me any day. Let's see where it takes us! Get off your ass, stop complaining, and go out and try to achieve something great.
Poverty (however failed the way we have been fighting it has been), Disease, pollution, slavery, child sex trade are things that we can combat because the overwhelming majority of the rest of the world wants them eliminate too. War will never be eliminated. There will always be aggressors and each country will always be and want to be in a position to defend themselves, nuclear weapons are in that boat. You can dream of a world that it all peace, love, rainbows and hugs but as long as there is more than one person on the planet there will be conflict. We are supposed to elect a leader that knows the things that they can have an impact on changing (hopefully for the positive). If you have a dreamer that has no real plan for accomplishment as president then you are putting un-elected people in power because that president isn't a leader that president it off in la-la-land dreaming and getting nothing done. Oh it would be wonderful if there would be no war but we have to have perspective and priority in what we want to accomplish. Go after the low hanging fruit. There is enough of that around to make any leader look like a fantastic leader. There is plenty of things that are reasonably accomplished that would allow for future leaders to focus on other grander things. But NO! We have to (always) elect these vain, ego driven, focused on their [holy glow]Legacy[/holy glow] that they don't get the today important things done. I just about threw up when a reporter asked Obama what he wanted his legacy to be. WTF? The man has been in office less than three months and you are talking about legacy? Idiot.

/rant off

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 AM 

Quote:
Neither did he. Read the article. He announced a "vision" of what he was going to attempt. This is exactly the same as what I do in my classroom. I give them the vision of what we are going to attempt, and we set about trying to achieve it.
No. The correlation would be if he communicated his vision of zero nuclear weapons in the world to his team of professionals working to achieve that. He didn't. He got up in front of the world and proclaimed it. Please, stop moving the goalposts, again. Did you get up in front of the school and say that you were going to produce the perfect arrangement? If not, why not? It's perfectly acceptable to do so, according to your point of view. So why not put your money where your mouth is. When parents and other educators ask you why you promised something you could not attain, you could show them a printout of your compelling arguments here.

I'm pretty sure no school superintendent has given an interview saying he or she would pass every single child in his school system. If he or she did, they would deservedly get lambasted for it.

Quote:
Fuck you. This is my life work you are talking about, and I refuse to be pulled down by your cynicism/hate.
You should go back and re-read some of your posts directly to me over the past year.

Quote:
This isn't even close to the same. The ideal /= the method. If the ideal for Iraq was, "The Middle East will be full of democracies that love us," then that's something we can all get behind. That's a vision that almost none of us would disagree with, much like the idea of a world without any nuclear weapons. The problem with Iraq was the method which was insane from the beginning (and I'm proud to say I've always, ALWAYS said that). In a similar vein, if Obama's method is to simply reduce our own weapons to zero without getting the same from others, or getting rid of them by blowing them all up in New York, well then you might have a point. But I think it's pretty safe to say Obama isn't going to do that.
That was completely incoherent, you know that, right?

We set an unachievable goal in Iraq based on unrealistic WISHES. But worse, this goal of Obama's is even more unattainable. It will never happen, ever.

That's the difference between you and me. I've sat through 8 years of ideological charades and I'm tired of it. I want to see meat on them bones. His wish for ending dependence on foreign oil in 10 years is another example of that. His wish of eliminating lobbyists in the white house is yet another. Sadly, you look at those claims and think "Wow, Obama is great on energy, and look at all the reform he's going to put in place!" People like me look at him reversing himself on public financing and think it's a canary in a coal mine.

People like you look at these grandiose promises and actually BUY it. Worse, you praise him for it. There's no critical thinking going on inside your head whatsoever. Unfortunately for those of us who are NOT either right-wing fucknuts OR left-wing fucknuts, it's we who are caught in the middle of the two extremes who have to look at stuff like this and see the exact same thing happening all over again, just for a different team now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:54 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Sarissa wrote:
Defense also isn't just a pool of money. It pays people, gives them insurance, manufacturing jobs, research jobs, college grants, etc. so the gains should be compared to the losses as well.

What's a state going to do when it's losing out in the auto sector and has military vehicle production cut (i.e. Michigan, North Carolina, etc).
Yep, I agree. And there's no way I'm going to argue for reductions in the purchases of necessary equipment, but, as a country, we shouldn't buy what we don't need. That's not a sustainable long-term.

How can we make that kind of transition as painless as possible? I don't know. But it would be a damn interesting field to research.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Quote:

How in the hell do you cut your reliance on foreign oil ever if you're not willing to drill here in the United States?

I understand we're trying to come up with new forms of energy, but petroleum is used for a lot more things than just gas for your car. Also take into account that most people won't immediately switch over to a new propulsion system for their cars and it's damn near impossible. Leo, your state is the worst about no drilling off of our beautiful coast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 AM 

Quote:
No. The correlation would be if he communicated his vision of zero nuclear weapons in the world to his team of professionals working to achieve that. He didn't. He got up in front of the world and proclaimed it. Please, stop moving the goalposts, again. Did you get up in front of the school and say that you were going to produce the perfect arrangement? If not, why not? It's perfectly acceptable to do so, according to your point of view. So why not put your money where your mouth is. When parents and other educators ask you why you promised something you could not attain, you could show them a printout of your compelling arguments here.

I'll try to make it more clear. He did not PROMISE that there would be no nuclear weapons. He stated a vision statement. "I have a vision of a world with no nuclear weapons." This IS exactly the same as what I do. And yes, all my parents and everyone around me knows I push for perfection in my classroom. That's the path to excellence within my class. That vision statement is even written in my student handbook, given out directly to every parent, every administrator, and anyone else that asks for it.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure no school superintendent has given an interview saying he or she would pass every single child in his school system. If he or she did, they would deservedly get lambasted for it.

And you are right. However, I'm pretty sure just about every superintendent has the GOAL and VISION of passing every single child in his school system. And guess what? No one lambastes them for it. We simply constantly work toward that goal, realistic or not.

Quote:
You should go back and re-read some of your posts directly to me over the past year.

I don't remember ever attacking your method for doing your job. Hell, I don't even know what your job is.

Quote:
That was completely incoherent, you know that, right?

No, it made perfect sense, but I'll try again in a different way. The VISION for Iraq was democracy in the Middle East, and people there actually liking us. This equates to the VISION of removing all nuclear arms. The vast majority of us would be perfectly happy with this.

The METHOD for Bush was to invade Iraq to get it done. This was NEVER a vision. This was the method chosen to try to accomplish the vision. This was a horrible mistake and you and I agree on that. The METHOD for ridding the world of nuclear weapons has not yet been defined completely, but it does involved the already begun process of reducing arms within our country and Russia's. I don't really have a problem with this, and it sounds like you don't either. Why do you have a problem with the VISION?

Quote:
That's the difference between you and me. I've sat through 8 years of ideological charades and I'm tired of it. I want to see meat on them bones. His wish for ending dependence on foreign oil in 10 years is another example of that.

And his budget reflects a first step toward that vision. Even if we don't accomplish it, isn't it a good thing for us to be pushing TOWARD it? Why is this bad? Do you NOT want to end dependence on foreign oil?

Big goals are to inspire, friend.

Quote:
His wish of eliminating lobbyists in the white house is yet another.

Again, he's taken steps in this direction. It's only been a few days, and your insistence that these things happen instantly is the true example of unrealistic here.

Quote:
People like you look at these grandiose promises and actually BUY it. Worse, you praise him for it.

You'll have to point to a single post anywhere where I said that I believed these things would happen, 100%, 70 days into his presidency. I'm not an idiot, asshole. I like these vision statements because I recognize that the process of moving toward those statements makes us a better country. Are we going to rid the world of nuclear weapons in four years? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing to me. Are we going to end dependence on foreign oil in 10 years? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing for me. Are we going to eliminate lobbyists? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing for me.

Quote:
There's no critical thinking going on inside your head whatsoever.

Then you aren't reading my posts. I'm using simple logic, and waiting for you to read them without your hateglasses on. Try hard to pretend someone else wrote my posts, and perhaps you would give them a chance.

Quote:
Unfortunately for those of us who are NOT either right-wing fucknuts OR left-wing fucknuts, it's we who are caught in the middle of the two extremes who have to look at stuff like this and see the exact same thing happening all over again, just for a different team now.

Oh you poor, poor thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:28 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
Quote:

How in the hell do you cut your reliance on foreign oil ever if you're not willing to drill here in the United States?

I understand we're trying to come up with new forms of energy, but petroleum is used for a lot more things than just gas for your car. Also take into account that most people won't immediately switch over to a new propulsion system for their cars and it's damn near impossible. Leo, your state is the worst about no drilling off of our beautiful coast.
Damn right it is, but that's an argument for a different thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:33 AM 

Now it's krby's turn. Sure is nice to be on vacation! :)

Quote:
Yes, thank goodness that Nuclear Arms elimination is just like teaching High School band. You do want to teach perfection teachers are failing where they DON'T demand perfection.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. In the scope of the comparison, yes the vision for the elimination of nuclear arms IS the same as the vision for perfection in playing the pieces of music I give them.

Quote:
However, they were not impossible and we knew that it could be accomplished because we were in complete control of all the parameters. It would be easy to say "we will eliminate all of our Nuclear Weapons" it would be totally reckless and leave us in a indefensible position. There are too many power hungry dictators that crave that power thinking that it will make the rest of the world pay attention to them. Until there is a global desire to eliminate them, it will never happen.

#1. We didn't control all the parameters in any of those situations.
#2. No one said anywhere that "we will eliminate all of our nuclear weapons." This would be a METHOD problem, not a VISION problem (something I was trying to get across to Joxur, but all I got was UR INCOHERANT DURR).
#3. The global desire to eliminate them is created when idealistic leaders start to push for it. Isn't that what Obama is doing here? All your sentences about how impossible it is miss the point. I already said it's unrealistic. The point is that in trying to attain the impossible, we go further than we ever expect.

Quote:
Apples and oranges again.

Nope.

Quote:
Poverty (however failed the way we have been fighting it has been), Disease, pollution, slavery, child sex trade are things that we can combat because the overwhelming majority of the rest of the world wants them eliminate too.

Not really. For the last 8 years we had someone leading the country that didn't give a shit about poverty or pollution-- especially pollution.

I think you are wrong assuming that the "overwhelming majority of the world" doesn't want to eliminate nuclear weapons. Take some polls with the question, "would you like to live in a world where nuclear weapons don't exist?" and I bet the overwhelming majority of the world would say absolutely.

And when we talk about slavery, you are wrong again, in my humble opinion. For thousands of years, slavery was perfectly acceptable. It took first the British, then others, to step up and say, "we want to end slavery." I'm sure there were people that said, "that's impossible. There will always be slavery." In fact it's still true-- there STILL IS slavery. But does that make the industrial world's efforts to end slavery over the last couple centuries not worth it? Of course not-- the process toward the unrealistic goal is still worth it.

Quote:
War will never be eliminated. There will always be aggressors and each country will always be and want to be in a position to defend themselves, nuclear weapons are in that boat.

Again, you are trying to tell me how impossible the goal may be. I AGREE. It doesn't make the pursuit of that goal worthless.

Quote:
You can dream of a world that it all peace, love, rainbows and hugs but as long as there is more than one person on the planet there will be conflict.

Absolutely true. The cool thing is, conflict doesn't have to involve murder, or I would have killed my brothers and sisters years ago.

Quote:
We are supposed to elect a leader that knows the things that they can have an impact on changing (hopefully for the positive).

Quote:
If you have a dreamer that has no real plan for accomplishment as president then you are putting un-elected people in power because that president isn't a leader that president it off in la-la-land dreaming and getting nothing done.

I didn't quote the rest of this paragraph because it was just a rant all based on this point above. See, I see Obama actually trying to do the things he says he's trying to do, and going out and inviting others to try to do it with him. He's not making a pronouncement, and then playing Nintendo in his room all day. The whole point of the creation of vision statements is to give everyone in an organization something to work toward-- a common goal for what will be done with our resources over the next few years.

Given an understanding of what vision statements are for, I cannot imagine what would make you upset about having a leader that wants to eliminate nuclear weapons. Coming all the way back to our own school to finish off the post, part of our vision is that every single student leaves our school prepared for life socially, academically, and in terms of discipline. This is entirely unattainable, yet I am not angry at my administration for creating it. It IS our vision!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 PM 

Xantheus wrote:
You can't. But Fribur is happy we're trying!

Fribur wrote:
'll try to make it more clear. He did not PROMISE that there would be no nuclear weapons. He stated a vision statement.
Listen, we're not going to agree. We're arguing intent, and at this point, neither of us is going to bend, so let's just drop it.

Quote:
I don't remember ever attacking your method for doing your job. Hell, I don't even know what your job is.
I never attacked your job. I attacked the logic behind stating, publicly, unattainable goals. My recommendation is to go to Walgreens, buy a pack of tampons and use that to stem the bleeding from your sore vagina.

Quote:
Why do you have a problem with the VISION?
Because, as I've stated in two posts, Obama has a history, already, only 3 months in, of going back on his VISION! Public financing. FISA. Lobbyists. Deficits. I could give you direct quotes stating one thing, then ACTIONS that demonstrate the exact opposite. If we can't judge on actions, what can we judge on? What's the point in waiting 4 years when he's ALREADY violated his promises in so many areas.

Given that, and I'm guessing you're not going to dispute these, since you have ignored the previous two points about it, the problem is that I know his VISION is just a sound bite and, since he can't execute on the ACHIEVABLE goals he has, he certainly can't execute on the unachievable ones.

Quote:
Again, he's taken steps in this direction. It's only been a few days, and your insistence that these things happen instantly is the true example of unrealistic here.
What steps..? He said those people "will not have a job in my white house." Yet, they have jobs! heh. Please, explain it to me. Use small words. I seem to have a problem with accountability - I like to hold people accountable.

Quote:
You'll have to point to a single post anywhere where I said that I believed these things would happen, 100%, 70 days into his presidency. I'm not an idiot, asshole. I like these vision statements because I recognize that the process of moving toward those statements makes us a better country. Are we going to rid the world of nuclear weapons in four years? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing to me. Are we going to end dependence on foreign oil in 10 years? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing for me. Are we going to eliminate lobbyists? No, but moving in that direction is a good thing for me.
Please, in the areas of lobbyists, foreign oil and nuclear weapons, name one thing he has done to advance the cause in any way. I can point you to MANY things that violate those principles in more significant ways.

Quote:
Again, you are trying to tell me how impossible the goal may be. I AGREE. It doesn't make the pursuit of that goal worthless.
The thing your brain can't seem to grasp, Fribur, is that the goal isn't even DESIRED. If we do that, what deterrent do we have against invasion or nuclear attack? Who ensures that one of the dozen nuclear countries doesn't have a stockpile? We're in the game and there's no going back. The technology is known and will only become easier to take as more nations proceed towards the INEVITABLE advent of nuclear power.

A better vision statement would be to stop the proliferation of nuclear weapons, or to reduce to a certain threshold. But /gasp, since we're already doing all of that, it's not exactly headline-worthy, is it?

Last, but certainly not least, is the sheer NUMBER of unattainable goals the administration has stated. Bearne should appreciate this, since he's such a organizational wizard, but you can't be good at ANYTHING if you're trying to be good at EVERYTHING. This bullshit about eliminating nukes.. who's vision statement is that? It doesn't even warrant top 10 on our priority list, since it's not attainable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 PM 

Quote:
The thing your brain can't seem to grasp, Fribur, is that the goal isn't even DESIRED. If we do that, what deterrent do we have against invasion or nuclear attack? Who ensures that one of the dozen nuclear countries doesn't have a stockpile? We're in the game and there's no going back. The technology is known and will only become easier to take as more nations proceed towards the INEVITABLE advent of nuclear power.

Again, he never said, "we're going to only reduce our own nuclear weapons, and let everyone else keep theirs." That would be dumb.

Quote:
It doesn't even warrant top 10 on our priority list, since it's not attainable.

Even after I post all that, you still say this? I don't think you even read my posts. Once again (for the what- 10th time?), having a vision that is unattainable doesn't make it not worth pursuing.

I think you're right. You refuse to see my point, and so there isn't much else to say. The weird thing is, you don't see that I agree with most of what you are saying, and that I am trying to make a completely different point. I cannot comprehend why you don't want to work towards the goal of no nuclear weapons, attainable or not. I cannot comprehend why you don't want me to work toward every student passing my classes, attainable or not.

I guess we're done here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 PM 

I knew you'd run away. See ya.

Here are the things you were unable to respond to:

Quote:
Please, in the areas of lobbyists, foreign oil and nuclear weapons, name one thing he has done to advance the cause in any way. I can point you to MANY things that violate those principles in more significant ways.

Quote:
What steps..? He said those people "will not have a job in my white house." Yet, they have jobs! heh. Please, explain it to me. Use small words. I seem to have a problem with accountability - I like to hold people accountable.

Quote:
Because, as I've stated in two posts, Obama has a history, already, only 3 months in, of going back on his VISION! Public financing. FISA. Lobbyists. Deficits. I could give you direct quotes stating one thing, then ACTIONS that demonstrate the exact opposite. If we can't judge on actions, what can we judge on? What's the point in waiting 4 years when he's ALREADY violated his promises in so many areas.

Quote:
Last, but certainly not least, is the sheer NUMBER of unattainable goals the administration has stated. Bearne should appreciate this, since he's such a organizational wizard, but you can't be good at ANYTHING if you're trying to be good at EVERYTHING. This bullshit about eliminating nukes.. who's vision statement is that? It doesn't even warrant top 10 on our priority list, since it's not attainable.

Feel free.. take your time. Research, do whatever you need to do.

You know, the goal is a nice one. Yay, let's get some balloons and celebrate our non-violent-ness. Woot, us!

You realize that non-proliferation and reduction in nukes has been going on for years, right? Guess what? North Korea has developed nuclear weapons in the past decade - in the midst of all our efforts to stop it. On our watch. We knew they were doing it, and yet did nothing to effectively stop it. What does that say about the goals Obama has? Not only can we not eliminate them, ever, we can't even stop people from developing them.

You also never addressed my point that not only will we never eliminate them, we won't even stop researching new types of bigger, more powerful weapons. Here's the quote:

Quote:
Eliminating nuclear weapons is impossible. Will never happen, and furthermore, research into developing BETTER nuclear weapons will never stop, either. Not one nation that has nukes will eliminate them, and not one nation that DOESN'T have nukes will stop trying to get them. You can't un-invent it.
Nuclear weapons will not simply disappear, and it's childish and misleading to think they will. We need more thinking about living in a post-nuclear world and bending our brains around deterrance and non-proliferation, not unachievable goals. Less ideals and more pragmatism, especially on such an important topic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 PM 

it seems that he is stepping on one pile of shit, claiming that he has a plan for this pile of shit and then lo and behold there is a new pile of shit that he is going to clean up. Yet he still has shit on his shoes and didn't really do anything about the first pile of shit. His proclamations that "we have a new pile of shit, and I am going to clean it up" come across as nothing but a distraction from the fact you have people shitting all over the place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
There are many problems with public policy following this specific impossible goal.

People are self motivated and therefore cannot be trusted completely. Also, as stated previously, you cannot uninvent nuclear weapons. This means that for the duration of human life on earth nuclear weapons will be a major threat until they are surpassed by some more horrific technology. If a device is useful it is unlikely anyone will give it up. This is reality.

Policy outside of reality is OK following a vision so long as there is not a major danger from doing so. In this case there is a danger, a very real danger.

I think Joxur's biggest beef stems from the massive number of promises during the Obama campaign and the complete lack of action so far (Has he really done anything substantial besides the car emissions stuff, order to eventually close guantanimo, and lobbyist ban that he immediately violated?). Vision only works if it is anchored in reality.

and.. foreign policy and a classroom setting are in no way related.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 PM 

Quote:
and wasting time on impossible goals

Where was time wasted again? Complete elimination of nuclear weapons is the impossible goal, he has only given implementation plans for an intermediary goal(which, frankly, can barely hold a candle to the impossible goal anyway) which is to reduce stockpiles.

Quote:
Which will still be enough for each country to blow up the world a few hundred times over.

Which also isn't really the point of reducing the stockpiles. A rather important reason for doing so, at least IMO, is to reduce the number of nukes that a country needs to keep watch over that terrorists or rogue states might be able to get their hands on if they slipped through the cracks somehow.

More unlikely in the U.S., but certainly a distinct possibility in Russia. It's simply less material that we need to keep watch over.

Quote:

Quote:

You've encountered the classic Joxur defense. Try and specifically, point by point, detail by detail explain your argument and he reverts back to both his illogical claims and his insults. The sad thing is, he doesn't think he could be wrong. He presents his argument as this "common sense" viewpoint, and can't seem to wrap his around it when someone disagrees with said "common sense". He's about a closed-minded as any idiot I can think of.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:25 PM 

Quote:
Has he really done anything substantial besides the car emissions stuff, order to eventually close guantanimo, and lobbyist ban that he immediately violated?).

Just off the top of my head, I think the order to send an additional 5k troops to Afghanistan was a good move(and he apparently also got NATO to follow suit, good luck Bush doing that). That's all but done. Getting the plans and preparations to pull out of Iraq is more or less an ongoing process in terms of getting things done, and he's gotten a good start on that. Some of the bailouts I felt were necessary, that's done for now(plenty of disagreement on that issue of course). If I recall correctly he also signed an order to ban torture of detainees. I was also pleased with the order he signed with regard to presidential records, which undid the crap that Bush did with them(making no time limit for the President to review etc). I would also call the relaxing of relations with European countries with this recent European visit getting something done, especially given the last 8 years of Bush.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 PM 

In addition to what Venen has pointed out, I also like the way he's opened dialogue to Iran, giving us a chance to start over.

He's also passed a stimulus package that while I don't like parts of it, also has some things I do like.

But those aren't negative, so therefore Joxur will not bring them up (aside from the one little thread he made just to prove he wasn't one-sided. lolz).

Joxur's right though. I'm "running away." I think my first post about the need for inspirational goals made my point well enough. The rest was me wallowing in the mud, something I regret. It's like talking to a wall. You win, Joxur!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 PM 

Quote:
think the order to send an additional 5k troops to Afghanistan was a good move(and he apparently also got NATO to follow suit, good luck Bush doing that).
- He sent a whole lot more troops than 5k to Afghanistan.

- No NATO countries will send combat troops to Afghanistan. Completely false.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ap ... urge-obama

Quote:
Getting the plans and preparations to pull out of Iraq is more or less an ongoing process in terms of getting things done, and he's gotten a good start on that.
- Over 50k troops to remain in Iraq after 2010.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/fe ... ldiers-usa

Quote:
Some of the bailouts I felt were necessary, that's done for now(plenty of disagreement on that issue of course).
- I can't figure out your point about bailouts. If you're saying you agree with the bailouts - Bush started that. Maybe you mean GM... a company that is now likely going to declare bankruptcy AFTER we gave them billions of dollars in bailout.

Quote:
If I recall correctly he also signed an order to ban torture of detainees.
- He signed an order against torture and yet Panetta said he reserved the right to do so if he felt it necessary in some circumstances.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/us/po ... r=2&ref=us

Quote:
. I was also pleased with the order he signed with regard to presidential records, which undid the crap that Bush did with them(making no time limit for the President to review etc).
I have no idea what this means. Link?

Quote:
I would also call the relaxing of relations with European countries with this recent European visit getting something done, especially given the last 8 years of Bush.
This is my favorite. First, it's not quantifiable. Second... well, here you go.

Sarkozy, Merkel challenge Obama at G20
http://www.upi.com/news/issueoftheday/2 ... 238681349/

EU presidency: US stimulus is 'the road to hell'
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/EU-presid ... 37788.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:49 PM 

Fribur wrote:
In addition to what Venen has pointed out, I also like the way he's opened dialogue to Iran, giving us a chance to start over.

He's also passed a stimulus package that while I don't like parts of it, also has some things I do like.

But those aren't negative, so therefore Joxur will not bring them up (aside from the one little thread he made just to prove he wasn't one-sided. lolz).

Joxur's right though. I'm "running away." I think my first post about the need for inspirational goals made my point well enough. The rest was me wallowing in the mud, something I regret. It's like talking to a wall. You win, Joxur!
You're right, Fribur. you were really trying to keep it above the board when you wrote: "But... you have the eternal hardon for Obama, so you will hate it."

Is your point that the stimulus is positive, that I won't post about it, or both? Because I seem to recall pointing out revised projections of the stimulus AFTER it was passed from the CBO that it would not create nearly as many jobs as the Obama administration stated. I'm pretty sure you ignored that point.

But it's awesome that your line of attack is that *I* am the one who won't respond to posts, given that your tendency, exhibited right here, is to ignore literally more than half of my points, post about how much of a waste of time it is, and then leave. Still waiting for your responses, BTW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:59 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Sam Seaborn wrote:
In 1940, our Armed Forces weren't among the twelve most formidable, but obviously we were about to fight a big war. When Roosevelt said the US would produce 50,000 airplanes in the next five years, everyone thought it was a joke, and it was, because it turned out we could produce 100,000 planes to give the Air Force an Armada that would block the sun.

Sam Seaborn wrote:
I think giving people a vision of government that's more than Social Security checks and debt reduction is good. I think government should be optimistic.

not exactly the most reliable rhetoric in the world, but that explains kind of how i feel about this. no, we won't uninvent nuclear weapons, but why not start with what's not possible and do what can be done toward that goal?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 PM 

nm, Venen, I take it back. You must have been referring to things like this when you were speaking to his European trip.

Does anyone know what the term is in Austrian? heh. I guess Obama cares more about you learning Spanish than him knowing that there's no such language as Austrian. Remember this?

Hey, at least he's trying.

This, on top of giving Gordon Brown a bunch of DVDs that won't even play on British DVD players because of the region code, giving the Queen of England an iPod (she already had one) loaded with his speeches (let's not discuss the fact that the EFF thinks giving her that ipod may have been illegal) or referring to Britain as England.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:48 PM 
Bridge Dweller

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:04 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

OMG!!! Burn that motherfucker at the stake! All of those things pale in comparison to a systemic reliance on torture! How dare he??

Offline Profile